HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Non-Ski Resort - The Walking Dead Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 02:31 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

vCash: 500
Quote:
I like the idea of free education through university though; allows more opportunities for people who otherwise can't afford post-secondary education.
It's an idea that is flat out unsustainable with our current approach of mimicking American universities as much as possible. Top Canadian universities are constantly struggling in the market for quality faculty because they can only charge so much for tuition and the government is obviously looking to adjust spending as little as possible if they can help it. Which is why, for instance, UBC is pushing hard for a separate school of Economics (so they can charge 10K/29K instead of 5.5K/22K).

Assuming education was "free" for domestic students, UBC alone would need to receive ~$150-200 million from the government to keep up its current spending level. Where would that money come from? Yeah, taxes. Lots of them.

Or not. Maybe they'd take their approach of attracting each and every international even further so that UBC/SFU/etc. are like 80% international students which makes the whole sentiment about making education more accessible completely pointless. Campus administrations are constantly pushing for a higher % of international students, this would make things so much worse.

Post-secondary education is actually very accessible already. That's what student loans are there for and unlike in the USA, there is a far lower likelihood of having to spend your next 5-10 years paying off the principal on the loan.

I'd love to pay no tuition, but working with fundraising at UBC I know how the campus are like and there's absolutely no way the university can keep on going if domestic revenue suddenly disappeared.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:42 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
In the end, if you are an average earner, it probably ends up being more or less equal. But I don't like to think of it like that. Personally I believe that even kids from poor families should have the same opportunities to get where they want to be in life, as kids from rich families, and if my taxes help pay for that, I'm happy to pay them. I know that tuition is still fairly low in Canada. But in the US tuition can be really high, and many students come out with a lot of debt.

But it's definitely a foreign system, just like the tuition system is foreign to me. And the way I feel about the Danish system is probably in large due to the fact that it's more or less all I know, and for the most part it works well, so there is not a lot controversy about it.
Yeah, I definitely like that system better but in reality like you said for an average earner the money that comes out your pocket is more or less the same for an average earning Canadian with our tuition system. It's still an awesome system, but not as advantageous for middle-class people as it is for those who may not have gotten a chance to go to school in the tuition system.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:16 AM
KISSland

Walking Dead..

Old
12-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Spoil:
Merle didn't actually betray the group, he is just the scapegoat. The governor is just trying to cover this up, and it was just fitting that Merle's brother was part of the attack on his group. In no way did Merle betray the group, the governor just needed someone to put it on other than himself.
MOAR WHITE BOCKSES

Spoil:
You may be forgetting that Merle lied to the governor. He said that he killed Michonne when he was sent out with two other guys to kill her. The governor wanted Merle to bring back her head and her sword, but (I think) Merle said that they were overrun by zombies so they couldn't get it.

And well...the governor obviously found out that he was lying, so in his mind he thinks Merle betrayed them.
He's not just using him as a scapegoat, he has a reason for believing he betrayed them.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
12-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
MOAR WHITE BOCKSES

Spoil:
You may be forgetting that Merle lied to the governor. He said that he killed Michonne when he was sent out with two other guys to kill her. The governor wanted Merle to bring back her head and her sword, but (I think) Merle said that they were overrun by zombies so they couldn't get it.

And well...the governor obviously found out that he was lying, so in his mind he thinks Merle betrayed them.
He's not just using him as a scapegoat, he has a reason for believing he betrayed them.
Exactly.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I wouldn't say it bites you; just a different type of government, I guess. If you don't pay a lot of taxes, then you won't get great benefits, but if you want those benefits, you got to pay the taxes.
I don't have any answers but I just think that for every $1 of my tax dollars going to Ottawa results in my "getting" back a fraction of that in terms of "benefits".

Old
12-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Exactly.
Wow, I totally forgot about that too. Good catch, Nuckles.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:46 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Numbers like these don't apply to everyone. There are always things that you have to take into consideration with each person. I'm not going to judge anyone less/more just because they feel they can't handle 3 classes. Also I'm not making excuses for anyone. Some people are lazy as ****.

Anyways, just my stance. Time to watch Walking Dead.
It's fine if some of these don't want to work, but don't complain about it not being able to find time to work. There's a good chance that these people have a lot of free time but choose to spend time with friends/go drinking/ watch TV/ play games, etc instead of working. It's all about time management.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
It's fine if some of these don't want to work, but don't complain about it not being able to find time to work. There's a good chance that these people have a lot of free time but choose to spend time with friends/go drinking/ watch TV/ play games, etc instead of working. It's all about time management.
Never thought I'd say this in an argument, but honestly YOLO. Better to spend your days as a college student doing what you want to do and having to perhaps work a few more years when you are older but honestly what the **** am I going to do when I'm 65 and can barely get out of bed without hurting a hip? Sky-diving? Hockey? Night-clubbing?

I'm not telling other people how to live their lives, I'm trying to explain why I think my way is the best for me. Personally, I don't plan on living past ~72 years. Better to live a life doing what you wanted and live it for 40 years than to live your life for 80 doing what other people told you to do. That's my philosophy. Life should be for living, not surviving. Yet here we are on the internet.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:16 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Never thought I'd say this in an argument, but honestly YOLO. Better to spend your days as a college student doing what you want to do and having to perhaps work a few more years when you are older but honestly what the **** am I going to do when I'm 65 and can barely get out of bed without hurting a hip? Sky-diving? Hockey? Night-clubbing?

I'm not telling other people how to live their lives, I'm trying to explain why I think my way is the best for me. Personally, I don't plan on living past ~72 years. Better to live a life doing what you wanted and live it for 40 years than to live your life for 80 doing what other people told you to do. That's my philosophy. Life should be for living, not surviving. Yet here we are on the internet.
I wasn't condemning you or anything. You have a choice to work or not to work during school and I fully respect it. It all comes down to priorities and what you, yourself, are looking for out of your own time.

People have the power to do whatever they choose to as long as they have the determination to do it.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

According to my TV menu: Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones will be appearing on David Letterman tonight. Not clear whether they're performing or just being interviewed.

12-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
According to my TV menu: Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones will be appearing on David Letterman tonight. Not clear whether they're performing or just being interviewed.
Thought I heard they were performing...I'd definitely tune in either way if I was you.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thought I heard they were performing...I'd definitely tune in either way if I was you.
Oh hell yeah. Already set to record.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Any word on these guys?:

(Plant & Page were actually not at all offended by this band).

Old
12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Any word on these guys?:

(Plant & Page were actually not at all offended by this band).
Why would they be?

I remember my friend showing me this a few years back

Old
12-03-2012, 05:50 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Quote:

I'm not condemning those who don't work during their education I just know a lot of students who have the privilege of having parents put them through post-secondary education, yet no gratitude.

I don't know those individual's situations whatsoever, but I'm guessing if their parents are asking their son/daughter to help chip in a bit in regards to their own expenses, the parents are probably looking for a bit of financial relief themselves. Seems selfish.My frustration was more directed at my thought that, at this age (a post-secondary level), it isn't that difficult to provide for yourself, especially at a minor-level such as a part-time job.

I feel like I share a similar life philosophy with you, but I'd rather graduate and not be crippled in debt that prevents me from living that way. I've traveled several times, live comfortable and pay off my tuition/rent/bills as I go so that when I graduate I am both educated, and more importantly, debt-free.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Whenever I go into this thread on sundays, the only thing I see is white boxes all over the place.
As a mobile HF user, I am thankful I have not watched the Walking Dead yet as this thread is spoiler central.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
I'm not condemning those who don't work during their education I just know a lot of students who have the privilege of having parents put them through post-secondary education, yet no gratitude.

I don't know those individual's situations whatsoever, but I'm guessing if their parents are asking their son/daughter to help chip in a bit in regards to their own expenses, the parents are probably looking for a bit of financial relief themselves. Seems selfish.My frustration was more directed at my thought that, at this age (a post-secondary level), it isn't that difficult to provide for yourself, especially at a minor-level such as a part-time job.

I feel like I share a similar life philosophy with you, but I'd rather graduate and not be crippled in debt that prevents me from living that way. I've traveled several times, live comfortable and pay off my tuition/rent/bills as I go so that when I graduate I am both educated, and more importantly, debt-free.
Yeah, obviously I would love to be working more but school is my #1 priority when it is in session. Also would not like to have a credit card, (see: I hate the idea of borrowing the bank's money [mortgages, credit, etc.] but have very weak will-power) even with those two considerations taken into account I only owe the bank 160 dollars, which is pretty decent given that I went on a liquor binge for 3 weeks (don't do that).

Old
12-03-2012, 09:36 PM
ryundt2012

3/26/12 ticket stub

Does anyone have a season ticket stub from the march 26 2012 game vs the los angeles kings at Canucks game that anyone would be willing to part with and sell me.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:21 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
General note to the citizens of Greater Vancouver:

If you think that the skytrain or bus is a great place to meet and interact with people during rush hour, you suck at life. Yeah, you see that guy about 6', 185lbs with short blond hair, leather jacket, jeans and boots with a backpack? He's ignoring you for a reason: he doesn't want to talk to you. Don't take it personally, he's had a long, hard day of resisting the urge to brutally murder everyone he works with and he also just doesn't like people generally. Notice how he just put his book away and put in his earphones? Were you yapping away to someone on your cellphone or mindlessly blathering your every mundane thought to the universe? Chances are, there might just be a correlation there. If you're like some people who he finds really annoying, it might be natural for you to immediately speak every single thought that pops into your head, and you might be tempted to assume everyone's just like you in that regard. This might lead you to the conclusion that someone who isn't talking must not be thinking. This is erroneous. Unlike you, the majority of us are perfectly capable of having thoughts enter our heads and not immediately sending them flying out of our mouths. I guarantee you, a lot more often than you realize, we're all thinking: "DEAR HOLY ****ING ****, WHY WON'T THIS PERSON SHUT UP?!" FYI.

Thank-you for your time.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post

If you think that the skytrain or bus is a great place to meet and interact with people during rush hour, you suck at life. Yeah, you see that guy about 6', 185lbs with short blond hair, leather jacket, jeans and boots with a backpack? He's ignoring you for a reason: he doesn't want to talk to you. Don't take it personally, he's had a long, hard day of resisting the urge to brutally murder everyone he works with and he also just doesn't like people generally. Notice how he just put his book away and put in his earphones? Were you yapping away to someone on your cellphone or mindlessly blathering your every mundane thought to the universe? Chances are, there might just be a correlation there. If you're like some people who he finds really annoying, it might be natural for you to immediately speak every single thought that pops into your head, and you might be tempted to assume everyone's just like you in that regard. This might lead you to the conclusion that someone who isn't talking must not be thinking. This is erroneous. Unlike you, the majority of us are perfectly capable of having thoughts enter our heads and not immediately sending them flying out of our mouths. I guarantee you, a lot more often than you realize, we're all thinking: "DEAR HOLY ****ING ****, WHY WON'T THIS PERSON SHUT UP?!" FYI.

Thank-you for your time.
And here I was thinking you were an emancipated corpse with nails in your head and tape on your mouth.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post

Thank-you for your time.
Have to agree with you there, either talk using your indoor voice to a friend on the skytrain with you, talk using a slightly quieter voice on the phone or don't talk at all.

Have to ask, wouldn't it be causation though?

Old
12-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Started watching Breaking Bad from the beginning(3 episodes in).

It's pretty good, although so far it seems more like a dark comedy than a drama.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Hammer79

Quote:

It's pretty good, although so far it seems more like a dark comedy than a drama.
There is some dark comedy mixed in throughout the series, and early on Walt is still kind of similar to the 'Malcolm in the Middle' dad, although it's definitely a drama and Walt's character evolves quickly.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:22 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:

Don't worry, the **** hits the fan left and right

Closed Thread