HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who wants Jonathan Bernier?

Old
12-03-2012, 06:24 PM
DontgoZiggy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
leafs arent really in a position to move kulemin. he is a little too good to give up for something not established. i think bernier has a lot of potential and draft pedigree but i think kulemin is a bit much to give up for something unproven.

i think a prospect like kadri is closer to berniers value. i would also move mac +for bernier, not sure what you would want the + to be?
Im not that sold on Kadri, he has potential but weren't there questions about his conditioning (or was that blown out of proportion?) We're pretty set down the middle, ideally i'd be looking to restock our wings with talented guys on elcs to eventually replace guys like Gagne, Penner etc. Is kadri any good on the wing?

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

If the Flyers can somehow get rid of Bryzgalov, I'd be all for acquiring Bernier. We'd probably offer Matt Read and a draft pick for him.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:14 PM
seanlinden

From a Toronto perspective, you want to pass on the notion of trading for Bernier simply because he's so unproven and instead shoot for a guy in his mid-late 20s, but it is tough to completely pass up on the potential outright.

I think the offer would be in the ballpark of Scrivens, MacArthur, and a mid-round pick... with some room to swap pieces of similar importance to the Leafs in/out.... however I have a tough time believing that would be the best offer for Bernier.

To me, the ideal destination for him might be a team like the Blue Jackets. They're in a position where they have to have a long term outlook, and I think they've realized that Mason isn't going to be that guy. However, it'll certainly be tough to justify giving up more than they did for Bobrovski. Calgary, Anaheim, Minnesota, and Winnipeg might have some merit as well.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:04 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
oilers would like him very much
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
I could see the Oilers being interested when Khabby is done.
A tandem of Dubey and Bernier might be good.
Bernier hasn't done any thing to warrant the price the Kings would be asking for him. The question is would he be better then what the Oilers have, not worth the risk. Get a veteran goalie to backup Dubie and let Dubie have his shot, he's earned it. Trading for Bernier would send the wrong message to Dubie that management doesn't have much faith in him. If Bernier was a definite improvement maybe, but he's not, Oilers pass, especailly with Bunz coming up.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:11 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
From a Toronto perspective, you want to pass on the notion of trading for Bernier simply because he's so unproven and instead shoot for a guy in his mid-late 20s, but it is tough to completely pass up on the potential outright.

I think the offer would be in the ballpark of Scrivens, MacArthur, and a mid-round pick... with some room to swap pieces of similar importance to the Leafs in/out.... however I have a tough time believing that would be the best offer for Bernier.

To me, the ideal destination for him might be a team like the Blue Jackets. They're in a position where they have to have a long term outlook, and I think they've realized that Mason isn't going to be that guy. However, it'll certainly be tough to justify giving up more than they did for Bobrovski. Calgary, Anaheim, Minnesota, and Winnipeg might have some merit as well.
I think you're right, that wouldn't be the best offer for Bernier. We have no need of Mac who is a free agent at the end of this season, he might not even end up playing for us. Scrivens contract expires the following year. Lombardi would probably just prefer picks.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:26 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Bernier hasn't done any thing to warrant the price the Kings would be asking for him. The question is would he be better then what the Oilers have, not worth the risk. Get a veteran goalie to backup Dubie and let Dubie have his shot, he's earned it. Trading for Bernier would send the wrong message to Dubie that management doesn't have much faith in him. If Bernier was a definite improvement maybe, but he's not, Oilers pass, especailly with Bunz coming up.
I don't know if it sends the message of a lack of faith, they showed faith in Dubie to pay him over 3mill a season, It would just provide good competition for him, let the better goalie win the starters roll. Thats how it panned out for us. But you know your team best so I wont presume to suggest Bernier would be a good option for the oil.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Maybe Calgary once they realize they need to rebuild...I wouldn't mind trading for Mark Giordano. He's 29 right now, I believe.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:13 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post

I don't see la interested in MacAurther nothing wrong with him just doesn't see the right fit. I see it more like Frattin Scrivens and 1st for Bernier and Lotionov

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:20 PM
hlaverty06

Giordano for Bernier.... LA should take that and run far far away

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
I don't see la interested in MacAurther nothing wrong with him just doesn't see the right fit. I see it more like Frattin Scrivens and 1st for Bernier and Lotionov
Overpayment to the max.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Overpayment to the max.
Out of curiousity, do you know much about Loktionov? He's a pretty good centre prospect, and is probably worth more than you give him credit for.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:32 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Out of curiousity, do you know much about Loktionov? He's a pretty good centre prospect, and is probably worth more than you give him credit for.
It's still overpayment, but not drastically. Bernier is worth about a mid-late 1st, Frattin is IMO worth slightly more than Loktionov and Scrivens has very little value but still a bit

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:47 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
It's still overpayment, but not drastically. Bernier is worth about a mid-late 1st, Frattin is IMO worth slightly more than Loktionov and Scrivens has very little value but still a bit
After the trade deadline this year it was reported by Bob McKenzie that the kings were offered a top propect ( rumoured to be connelly ) and a mid frist from tampa for Bernier. The kings turned it down because Quick wasn't signed long term and they didnt have another backup ready. The kings don't have to trade bernier hes signed and will be rfa after the season. With the new cba pushing for yet another year of rfa he will be king property for maybe 2 more years after this. He is going to be a really cheap option for whoever he plays for 3 season unlike other options ( loungo Ilya Bryzgalov kipper etc ) For theses reason ur going to have to pay a little more then normal.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:52 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
Id definately do Bernier for Mcnabb + Enroth

That seems like overpayment to me
Because it is. Bernier has a nice pedigree, but he hasn't done anything in the NHL that indicates he's a big enough upgrade over Enroth to warrant giving away McNabb.

Edit: I would offer Enroth + someone like Gauthier-Leduc/Brennan. Kings would get an established young backup and add a decent offensive D prospect/offensive depth on the blue line (depending on which). Brennan has the advantage of being capable of playing in the NHL right now and being pretty physical, but JGL is a project with higher upside.

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 12-07-2012 at 11:26 AM.
tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Jax Teller

I'd put these assets on the table in a Bernier trade.

Roster players - MacArthur, Connolly, Steckel, Brown, McClement, Lombardi, Liles, Franson, Komisarek
NHL ready prospects - Holzer, Komarov, Scrivens
Prospects - Colborne, Ashton, Percy, Finn, Blacker, D'Amigo, Ross etc.
Picks - 2nd - 7th rd. picks

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Depending on whether Harding can continue playing at the same level, Minnesota might be interested if we lose our future starter. Setoguchi+prospect/1st for Bernier+ (I wouldn't know what LA would add, maybe Greene?) would be a starting point.

Sad to hear about Harding getting MS.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
He's a potential number one, Ideally he'd be put in a similar situation as he was in LA, battling it out with another potential number one or splitting 50/50 with an aging number 1.
Just to point out but when was he used 50/50 or battling it out?

He's played 48 games in 4 NHL seasons or 12 games/season and more recently 41 games in 2 seasons or roughly 21 games/season. Not exactly battling it out. Though I think highly of him as a goaltender.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:53 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Bernier has done nothing in the NHL, and he hasn't impressed me when he plays. There's definitely people who are paying for his draft pedigree.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:04 AM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post

He's played 48 games in 4 NHL seasons or 12 games/season and more recently 41 games in 2 seasons or roughly 21 games/season. Not exactly battling it out. Though I think highly of him as a goaltender.
You misread my comment, I never said he was used 50/50, I said (meant) ideally he would be in a situation to assume 50% of the workload from an aging number one. He did battle it out with Quick in the sense that he kept pressure on him to perform and was given, like you mentioned 41 games in 2 seasons, obviously Quick won, he stood on his head, is the better goalie (at the moment), won the conn smyth and got paid.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:08 AM
jmoss45

Oilers do. Can't risk to go into next season relying on Khabibulin in any way.

Would you take Curtis Hamilton+ Tobias Reider+2013 2nd?

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:26 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Oilers do. Can't risk to go into next season relying on Khabibulin in any way.

Would you take Curtis Hamilton+ Tobias Reider+2013 2nd?
No thanks no need for another center were stacked with them for now. Hamiltion is nice but not enuff upside We have a young lws for the bottom 6 Andy Andreoff Kyle Clifford Dwight King etc I think you would have to start with Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson maybe add O mark and a 2nd would be closer. Even then with the history between the clubs i dont see a trade happening.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:12 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Nope. That's just asking for too much from the Leafs. Maybe take out the first and Loktionov, who the Leafs have little-to-no need for.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:20 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post

Hockey fans seem to have trouble reading . He said a good fit would be battling it out with an aging goalie or battling it out with a young guy for the top spot . he did not say this was the case in LA

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
He was the Sens golden boy for a while so yes, I know a bit about
him, but Matt is better, and the 1st is out of the question.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Pyrophorus

I think Kadri is fair value.

Both high end draftees, who have yet to fulfill their potential, if
either can.