HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 05:00 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Pulock or Shinkaruk? All things being equal I'll take offense over more D. Sore Loser? Anyone?
Shinkaruk. He's an animal

Old
11-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Pulock or Shinkaruk? All things being equal I'll take offense over more D. Sore Loser? Anyone?
A good friend of mine (fellow WHL prospect fanatic) and I had a good chat about this exact scenario last summer (2011), just after Shinkaruk's fantastic Ivan Hlinka tournament. Basically, what it came down to, was that if Shinkaruk had been eligible for the 2012 draft, we both agreed that he would probably have gone first or second overall. As for Pulock, I don't think we would have said the same thing.

Pulock reminds a lot of people of Al MacInnis, but to compare him to the Hall of Famer is unfair. Whether or not he ever reaches that stage might be up for debate, but the facts are this: Good mid-sized frame, good puck mover, HUGE shot, footspeed concerns (as with Al as a youngster), and a "good" all around defender. Topside, yes, he has huge first pairing, first powerplay unit potential. Downside: Think Jamie Heward.

With Shinkaruk, what you are getting is a potential superstar player. His offensive instincts are way above normal, and I would absolutely feel safe comparing him to any star player in the NHL in that aspect. My favorite comparison for him is Jordan Eberle. He's not a big guy, and he may not dazzle you all of the time, but he's a guy that just always finds ways to produce for his team (though, he can certainly be jaw-dropping when he needs to be). His passing is superb, he has a very quick release that is accurate, great hands, and is slippery; you don't see him get hit head on very often. Defensive zone play will surprise some people in a good way, but that isn't where his value is. This guy's top end is that of a 90+ point player, a top line performer. Bottom end: he could completely bust and not be very effective in the NHL (Zach Boychuk?).

For me, if Hunter Shinkaruk is on the board, and especially if we have two more first round picks to land more "sure bet" players, we have to take him.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:32 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

You sold me with the Whitney comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
I say Shinkaruk. Personally I think shinkaruk is one of the elite offensive talents in the draft (reminds me alot of Ray whitney) and give our depth on defense and lack of any elite scoring talent Shinkaruk appears to be a no-brainer. Pulock's skills are impressive, and his offensive tools as a converted forward are amazing, but given the current state of our team if both are available I take Hunter.
I've never gotten over MacLean not resigning Ray. That guy was a glue guy, all around good player - would have made a huge difference in the CBJ product. MacLean **** the bed over a .5MM, and Whitney went on to get more than he was originally asking for.

I've challenged DMac a few times with this point. It doesn't go very far with him. Stubborn mule.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:50 PM
alphafox

Another issue with our picks in this draft is that we don't know if Johansen and Atkinson are going to be true 1st line guys. A guy with #1 center upside is an obvious need, but getting farther down in the draft looking at guys like adam erne vs JT compher the progress of Johansen and Atkinson could greatly impact who we would take.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:35 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Another issue with our picks in this draft is that we don't know if Johansen and Atkinson
We can pretty much just stop there. You are correct we don't know how the prospects are going to turn out. Having said that, with the way the team is built we have competitive players to put into the top six. I don't think we need to draft by need, going with the BPA should be the plan.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Another issue with our picks in this draft is that we don't know if Johansen and Atkinson are going to be true 1st line guys. A guy with #1 center upside is an obvious need, but getting farther down in the draft looking at guys like adam erne vs JT compher the progress of Johansen and Atkinson could greatly impact who we would take.
Put some talent around Ryan Johansen, and he will be a first line player. I feel the same way about Derick Brassard from time to time - if he had snipers to set up, I think he's a capable player. Johansen has proven that he makes players around him better, and with skilled guys, they can typically feed off of each other.

Atkinson's potential is through the roof, if he can stay healthy on a consistent basis. I'm always wary of guys with that build; he has to be deceptive and slippery to avoid becoming a major target. He has a great shot, and alongside Johansen, the two should be good. Add in another talented winger, and we might just have something going there.

I think it'll be BPA either way, though.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:10 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Put some talent around Ryan Johansen, and he will be a first line player.
Rick Nash was a top line player unless there was too much talent around him. You are either skilled and competitive enough for top line minutes or you are not.

Quote:
I feel the same way about Derick Brassard from time to time - if he had snipers to set up, I think he's a capable player.
If you are concerned about who is surrounding Brassard, he's not a top line player.

I'm not even sure Brassard is a top six guy on most nights. If you want to hide him with two all-stars I'm sure he'll produce a bit more. Will not mean he's a top line player.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Rick Nash was a top line player unless there was too much talent around him. You are either skilled and competitive enough for top line minutes or you are not.
Not when you're as young as Ryan Johansen.

Later in development, yes you are either a top-line forward or you aren't. However, if a young guy isn't given already established, talented players to develop with it usually hampers his development. For those first formative years he needs to be surrounded by experienced players.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:51 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
The issue with the Nash comparison is that Nash was 1. a goal scorer and 2. a goal scorer whose biggest strength has always been his ability to create his own chances. Johansen is a Playmaker, he relies on the talent around him to to finish. If he doesn't have guys around him that can finish he will struggle unless he can transform his game, no matter how talented he is.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:15 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Not when you're as young as Ryan Johansen.

Later in development, yes you are either a top-line forward or you aren't. However, if a young guy isn't given already established, talented players to develop with it usually hampers his development. For those first formative years he needs to be surrounded by experienced players.
Simply putting better players around Johansen doesn't suddenly make him a top line player. If he needs more development, which he does, he needs more development. What he will be in the future isn't set in stone. However, throwing him on the top line and expecting him to compete with the best centers in the West is foolish at this point in his development. It doesn't matter who you set around him. His responsibilities on the ice, 5 on 5, are just too much for him at this point.

With Davidson on board (based on what he has said), along with the changes we made to the roster, I see no reason for Johansen to see top line minutes on the other side of the lockout. Nor do I see it for Brassard. We've added some competitive players that can play up the middle. What they may lack in skill they make up in competitive play. Our 5 on 5 play will, hopefully, improve hopefully leading guys like Johansen to make their mark lower in the lineup and on specialty teams until they are, truly, top line players. At that point it won't matter who is on the ice with them.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:32 AM
blahblah

Quote:
The issue with the Nash comparison is that Nash was 1. a goal scorer and 2. a goal scorer whose biggest strength has always been his ability to create his own chances. Johansen is a Playmaker, he relies on the talent around him to to finish. If he doesn't have guys around him that can finish he will struggle unless he can transform his game, no matter how talented he is.
Remove Nash and insert any true top line player. What you said about Nash really doesn't matter in the context of the point I was making. Nash, at his best, was more than a goal scorer. I was talking about more than just his ability to score goals.

If you really are a top line player they can stick two role players up there with you and you will still produce. Even if that it 5 on 5, helping on the forecheck and in the defensive zone. If they shove two competitive role players up there with you and you end up as plus players you've done your job.

When Johansen is a true top line player, he will compete in all zones and it won't matter who is on the ice with him. He'll create problems and he'll find ways to get points. Either he'll take more shots, create space for lesser players with that big body, get the puck back to Wiz or JMFJ and move to the net for a rebound or deflection, or get role players the puck in tight where they can outwork the goalie.

Having said all of this, watching Johansen he is more than just a play maker. He's not 40 or 50 goal scorer, but he can certainly has the shot to get around 30 if he puts his mind to it. His first two months last season was enough to illustrate that.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
When Leafs fans come by to pity you, you know you've reached bottom

No offense, Leaf fan
Haha are you kidding? None taken.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:08 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Does anyone know what picks we have..

I know that we have three in the first round to be determined by lottery was just wondering what other picks we have.

Will we have a high 2nd, or did we trade this pick? Somewhere I thought I read we have two 3rd rounders?

Sorry if this is stated somewhere else, I was unable to find it.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Was too lazy to put it together, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NHL_Entry_Draft

Old
12-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

If no CBA is reached, will there still be a draft? I feel like I read that there wouldnt be a draft.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:58 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
If no CBA is reached, will there still be a draft? I feel like I read that there wouldnt be a draft.
Nope. No CBA, no draft.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:22 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
I've never gotten over MacLean not resigning Ray. That guy was a glue guy, all around good player - would have made a huge difference in the CBJ product. MacLean **** the bed over a .5MM, and Whitney went on to get more than he was originally asking for.

I've challenged DMac a few times with this point. It doesn't go very far with him. Stubborn mule.
When I said something to MacLean about this, he replied that Priest wouldn't let him do it.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:48 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Apparently without an CBA, a draft could be considered collusion where all the owners got together to split up the players, rather than let the players have a go at a "free market" where they could choose where to play and for how much.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
When I said something to MacLean about this, he replied that Priest wouldn't let him do it.
Considering Priest had nothing to do with the team till 2007...LOL.

12-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Considering Priest had nothing to do with the team till 2007...LOL.
One good whipping boy deserves another.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:18 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

That is strange..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
was Priest even involved with the Blue Jackets while D Mac was Pres/GM/Coach?

I should have read further, and I don't consider Dougie a whipping boy.. an ego maniac, idiot maybe.. but not a whipping boy. When he used to say crap like his wife Jill let him drive her Porshe I used to throw up in my mouth.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:33 PM
JacketsFanWest

Any OHL watchers have a scouting report on Tomas Kubalik's little bro Dominik, who's playing for the Sudbury Wolves?

He seems to be doing okay in his first OHL season (5 goals, 7 assist in 32 games and in the top 20 in rookie scoring in the OHL). Any projections on where he'll go in the draft?

Old
12-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Any OHL watchers have a scouting report on Tomas Kubalik's little bro Dominik, who's playing for the Sudbury Wolves?

He seems to be doing okay in his first OHL season (5 goals, 7 assist in 32 games and in the top 20 in rookie scoring in the OHL). Any projections on where he'll go in the draft?
He wasn't on our top-100 radar at all heading into the season, so I'll be interested to see what the OHL guys think of him in our upcoming mid-term.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:06 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Nope. No CBA, no draft.
So Columbus has LA's and NY's 2013 1st round picks. If there is no draft and it becomes a 2014 Draft, do we no longer have LA's or NY's picks?

Old
12-12-2012, 08:15 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
So Columbus has LA's and NY's 2013 1st round picks. If there is no draft and it becomes a 2014 Draft, do we no longer have LA's or NY's picks?
Unknown. I would guess we no longer have them.

Closed Thread