HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Benjamin Conz - Gottéron (NLA) - Undrafted

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2012, 11:07 PM
  #1
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
Benjamin Conz - Gottéron (NLA) - Undrafted

Birthyear: 1991-09-13
Age: 21
Birthplace: St. Ursanne, SUI
Position: G
Catches: R
Height: 185 cm / 6'1"
Weight: 93 kg / 205 lbs

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15292


I still find it mind numbing this kid is still available as an undrafted free agent at 21 years old... This kid has stood out at the U20's twice already not to mention he's been playing in the top league in his native country of Switzerland since he was 18 years old (Over 160 games).

As we all know, it's a lockout year and a bunch of quality NHLers have gone to play for NLA teams and yet only 1 NHLer is on Conz's team, David Desharnais (Not exactly a star like Kane, Tavares, Seguin, Thornton, Spezza, etc.) and Conz is still having his best season to date, despite being up against better competition than ever before.

In 26 games he's currently maintaining a 2.26GAA with a very impressive .927Save% which puts him 2nd in the league to only Tobias Stephen, a National team regular and former Dallas Stars prospect.

A major concern for Conz back in his first draft eligible year was his size. He's now listed at 6'01" 205lbs. Another major concern was his rebound control. In the World Junior Championships we saw this kid stand on his head for the Swiss team but a lot of people said it's because he kept kicking the puck right onto the sticks of others. From what I've seen and heard, this season Conz has really improved in this area.

I'm now wondering, does this kid have an NHL shot in sight now that he's been given a chance to face some NHL competition and why the hell aren't our Swiss posters talking about this kid daily?

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:11 PM
  #2
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 40,158
vCash: 500
^ baffles me, as well. Maybe he doesn't want to leave Switzerland? I wouldn't.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:38 AM
  #3
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 6,826
vCash: 500
Is he really 6'1" now? I thought he was like 5'10" or something last year.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:56 AM
  #4
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser
 
Sartorial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
^ baffles me, as well. Maybe he doesn't want to leave Switzerland? I wouldn't.
Haha me neither.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:13 AM
  #5
PantherStriker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 168
vCash: 300
After seeing Conz have a few amazing performances at the WJC, I expected he'd be drafted, and probably become a solid backup at the least. Really disappointed that no team has given him a chance yet.

PantherStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:31 AM
  #6
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,825
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherStriker View Post
After seeing Conz have a few amazing performances at the WJC, I expected he'd be drafted, and probably become a solid backup at the least. Really disappointed that no team has given him a chance yet.
Same here. I thought he was the best goalie there, and by a wide margin

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:44 AM
  #7
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie
 
TheNeutrality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,893
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Birthyear: 1991-09-13
Age: 21
Birthplace: St. Ursanne, SUI
Position: G
Catches: R
Height: 185 cm / 6'1"
Weight: 93 kg / 205 lbs

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15292


I still find it mind numbing this kid is still available as an undrafted free agent at 21 years old... This kid has stood out at the U20's twice already not to mention he's been playing in the top league in his native country of Switzerland since he was 18 years old (Over 160 games).

As we all know, it's a lockout year and a bunch of quality NHLers have gone to play for NLA teams and yet only 1 NHLer is on Conz's team, David Desharnais (Not exactly a star like Kane, Tavares, Seguin, Thornton, Spezza, etc.) and Conz is still having his best season to date, despite being up against better competition than ever before.

In 26 games he's currently maintaining a 2.26GAA with a very impressive .927Save% which puts him 2nd in the league to only Tobias Stephen, a National team regular and former Dallas Stars prospect.

A major concern for Conz back in his first draft eligible year was his size. He's now listed at 6'01" 205lbs. Another major concern was his rebound control. In the World Junior Championships we saw this kid stand on his head for the Swiss team but a lot of people said it's because he kept kicking the puck right onto the sticks of others. From what I've seen and heard, this season Conz has really improved in this area.

I'm now wondering, does this kid have an NHL shot in sight now that he's been given a chance to face some NHL competition and why the hell aren't our Swiss posters talking about this kid daily?
We are too busy hyping Genoni and Berra

On a serious note, I'm surprised too. But there are some very talented goaltenders in our league that couldn't make the jump over the sea. But Conz is a special case, since he got some attention in the North American media (together with Nino) as we kicked Russia out of the tournament. But he always seemed a bit inconsistent to me. And he gets overlooked quite often in Switzerland, where Stephan, Genoni, Berra or Flüeler get tons of attention.

But he's playing a spectacular season so far.

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:33 AM
  #8
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,665
vCash: 500
Conz is quick and react well to the play, but his coverage of the net is not that great. I guess scouts are afraid that NHL caliber snipers could easily pick up the corners.

Regarding his current season, he's doing fine but still not as good as two years ago. Carrying a bottom team to playoffs is more impressive than compiling good stats for a team ranked third last season.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:55 AM
  #9
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Conz is quick and react well to the play, but his coverage of the net is not that great. I guess scouts are afraid that NHL caliber snipers could easily pick up the corners.

Regarding his current season, he's doing fine but still not as good as two years ago. Carrying a bottom team to playoffs is more impressive than compiling good stats for a team ranked third last season.
Last year there wasn't NHL stars on a bunch of other teams though lol

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:02 AM
  #10
Codith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Never understood why a team wouldn't even throw a 7th rounder on this guy

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:59 AM
  #11
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Never understood why a team wouldn't even throw a 7th rounder on this guy
you and me both! really, what have you got to lose? unless scouts are unanimous in thinking Conz just doesn't have what it takes to make the NHL?

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:26 AM
  #12
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,236
vCash: 500
Awards:
Unless NHL teams know something that hasn't been widely reported (he refuses to leave home, or some family/medical issue), I'm equally baffled that no one thought enough of him to at least take a flyer in the 7th round.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:41 PM
  #13
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Conz is quick and react well to the play, but his coverage of the net is not that great.
I'd agree this could be part of it. Look no further than Christopher Nihlstorp for the Texas Stars. Lots of success in Sweden but I can't see him being effective in the NHL due to his coverage of the net and the quality of shooter. He is 6'3, but this game in particular made it apparent his (singular - take the low part of the net) style may not be a good fit when matched up to the quality of shooter he'd see in the NHL. Probably reminds me of Conz because of the right hand catching...

See Highlights OKC vs Texas Nov 21

Particularly at the 4:00 mark, Schultz buckles him. He doesn't even move. Perfect shot. Regardless, he's no where near making a play on a shot going in the top third of the net. At 3:25 Hartikainen (sp?) gives you another example.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:58 PM
  #14
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,299
vCash: 500
He'll probably get a contract. That's if he wants to leave Switzerland.

He's got sweet equipment from the pic on eliteprospects.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:18 PM
  #15
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,888
vCash: 500
Sooner or later he'll get a shot.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:37 PM
  #16
SauceHockey
Retired
 
SauceHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: p
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,998
vCash: 500
Conz was always great at saving the first shot and he always impressed me whenever I saw him play. I hope somebody signs him and gives him a shot in NA

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:22 PM
  #17
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherStriker View Post
After seeing Conz have a few amazing performances at the WJC, I expected he'd be drafted, and probably become a solid backup at the least. Really disappointed that no team has given him a chance yet.
now paging the devils, our goalies aint getting any younger.........come on!!!!!!!!!!!

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:52 PM
  #18
jukon
#Nailedit
 
jukon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
It's funny that his name comes up during WJC time even years after.

There must be something wrong with him, because it's not due to lack of exposure that's for sure.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:11 AM
  #19
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,881
vCash: 500
The Flyers should scoop him for the Phantoms.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:13 AM
  #20
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,181
vCash: 500
Conz was sooooo sick in the 2010 world juniors. That Swiss team was fun to watch.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:04 AM
  #21
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
It's funny that his name comes up during WJC time even years after.

There must be something wrong with him, because it's not due to lack of exposure that's for sure.
haha I didn't make the connection when I made the thread, I was actually just watching some NLA clips and thought I would throw out the name.

Majority of the reason I tossed up the thread was to see if there was a reason why Conz was not given a chance yet in NA. Seems like a lot of people say "there must be something wrong with him" but I was wondering if anyone would outright point out this major mystery flaw lol but there doesn't seem to be one.

My theory is, he's 21. A team that wants him probably doesn't want to bring him over just to battle for a backup AHL role. He's getting significant ice time in the NLA and maybe teams are just waiting a few years, let him continue to develop at home, then try to bring him over to the NHL in 3-4 years. Seems pretty rare that a Euro goalie comes over to NA, battles for AHL duties and works himself into an NHL starter role. Usually they come over ready and take over the starter role in the NHL or at least compete for the job. (I'm talking about successful Euro goalies here)

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.