HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Benjamin Conz - Gottéron (NLA) - Undrafted

Old
12-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Scarecrow Boat

vCash: 500
Benjamin Conz - Gottéron (NLA) - Undrafted

Birthyear: 1991-09-13
Birthplace: St. Ursanne, SUI
Position: G
Catches: R
Height: 185 cm / 6'1"
Weight: 93 kg / 205 lbs

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15292

I still find it mind numbing this kid is still available as an undrafted free agent at 21 years old... This kid has stood out at the U20's twice already not to mention he's been playing in the top league in his native country of Switzerland since he was 18 years old (Over 160 games).

As we all know, it's a lockout year and a bunch of quality NHLers have gone to play for NLA teams and yet only 1 NHLer is on Conz's team, David Desharnais (Not exactly a star like Kane, Tavares, Seguin, Thornton, Spezza, etc.) and Conz is still having his best season to date, despite being up against better competition than ever before.

In 26 games he's currently maintaining a 2.26GAA with a very impressive .927Save% which puts him 2nd in the league to only Tobias Stephen, a National team regular and former Dallas Stars prospect.

A major concern for Conz back in his first draft eligible year was his size. He's now listed at 6'01" 205lbs. Another major concern was his rebound control. In the World Junior Championships we saw this kid stand on his head for the Swiss team but a lot of people said it's because he kept kicking the puck right onto the sticks of others. From what I've seen and heard, this season Conz has really improved in this area.

I'm now wondering, does this kid have an NHL shot in sight now that he's been given a chance to face some NHL competition and why the hell aren't our Swiss posters talking about this kid daily?

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:11 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

^ baffles me, as well. Maybe he doesn't want to leave Switzerland? I wouldn't.

12-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Is he really 6'1" now? I thought he was like 5'10" or something last year.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
^ baffles me, as well. Maybe he doesn't want to leave Switzerland? I wouldn't.
Haha me neither.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:13 AM
PantherStriker

vCash: 300
After seeing Conz have a few amazing performances at the WJC, I expected he'd be drafted, and probably become a solid backup at the least. Really disappointed that no team has given him a chance yet.

PantherStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:31 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherStriker View Post
After seeing Conz have a few amazing performances at the WJC, I expected he'd be drafted, and probably become a solid backup at the least. Really disappointed that no team has given him a chance yet.
Same here. I thought he was the best goalie there, and by a wide margin

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:44 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Birthyear: 1991-09-13
Birthplace: St. Ursanne, SUI
Position: G
Catches: R
Height: 185 cm / 6'1"
Weight: 93 kg / 205 lbs

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15292

I still find it mind numbing this kid is still available as an undrafted free agent at 21 years old... This kid has stood out at the U20's twice already not to mention he's been playing in the top league in his native country of Switzerland since he was 18 years old (Over 160 games).

As we all know, it's a lockout year and a bunch of quality NHLers have gone to play for NLA teams and yet only 1 NHLer is on Conz's team, David Desharnais (Not exactly a star like Kane, Tavares, Seguin, Thornton, Spezza, etc.) and Conz is still having his best season to date, despite being up against better competition than ever before.

In 26 games he's currently maintaining a 2.26GAA with a very impressive .927Save% which puts him 2nd in the league to only Tobias Stephen, a National team regular and former Dallas Stars prospect.

A major concern for Conz back in his first draft eligible year was his size. He's now listed at 6'01" 205lbs. Another major concern was his rebound control. In the World Junior Championships we saw this kid stand on his head for the Swiss team but a lot of people said it's because he kept kicking the puck right onto the sticks of others. From what I've seen and heard, this season Conz has really improved in this area.

I'm now wondering, does this kid have an NHL shot in sight now that he's been given a chance to face some NHL competition and why the hell aren't our Swiss posters talking about this kid daily?
We are too busy hyping Genoni and Berra

On a serious note, I'm surprised too. But there are some very talented goaltenders in our league that couldn't make the jump over the sea. But Conz is a special case, since he got some attention in the North American media (together with Nino) as we kicked Russia out of the tournament. But he always seemed a bit inconsistent to me. And he gets overlooked quite often in Switzerland, where Stephan, Genoni, Berra or Flüeler get tons of attention.

But he's playing a spectacular season so far.

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:33 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Conz is quick and react well to the play, but his coverage of the net is not that great. I guess scouts are afraid that NHL caliber snipers could easily pick up the corners.

Regarding his current season, he's doing fine but still not as good as two years ago. Carrying a bottom team to playoffs is more impressive than compiling good stats for a team ranked third last season.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Conz is quick and react well to the play, but his coverage of the net is not that great. I guess scouts are afraid that NHL caliber snipers could easily pick up the corners.

Regarding his current season, he's doing fine but still not as good as two years ago. Carrying a bottom team to playoffs is more impressive than compiling good stats for a team ranked third last season.
Last year there wasn't NHL stars on a bunch of other teams though lol

Old
12-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Codith

Never understood why a team wouldn't even throw a 7th rounder on this guy

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:59 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Never understood why a team wouldn't even throw a 7th rounder on this guy
you and me both! really, what have you got to lose? unless scouts are unanimous in thinking Conz just doesn't have what it takes to make the NHL?

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:26 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Unless NHL teams know something that hasn't been widely reported (he refuses to leave home, or some family/medical issue), I'm equally baffled that no one thought enough of him to at least take a flyer in the 7th round.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Conz is quick and react well to the play, but his coverage of the net is not that great.
I'd agree this could be part of it. Look no further than Christopher Nihlstorp for the Texas Stars. Lots of success in Sweden but I can't see him being effective in the NHL due to his coverage of the net and the quality of shooter. He is 6'3, but this game in particular made it apparent his (singular - take the low part of the net) style may not be a good fit when matched up to the quality of shooter he'd see in the NHL. Probably reminds me of Conz because of the right hand catching...

See Highlights OKC vs Texas Nov 21

Particularly at the 4:00 mark, Schultz buckles him. He doesn't even move. Perfect shot. Regardless, he's no where near making a play on a shot going in the top third of the net. At 3:25 Hartikainen (sp?) gives you another example.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He'll probably get a contract. That's if he wants to leave Switzerland.

He's got sweet equipment from the pic on eliteprospects.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:18 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Sooner or later he'll get a shot.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:37 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Conz was always great at saving the first shot and he always impressed me whenever I saw him play. I hope somebody signs him and gives him a shot in NA

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherStriker View Post
now paging the devils, our goalies aint getting any younger.........come on!!!!!!!!!!!

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:52 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

It's funny that his name comes up during WJC time even years after.

There must be something wrong with him, because it's not due to lack of exposure that's for sure.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:11 AM
PhilaFlyers

The Flyers should scoop him for the Phantoms.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Conz was sooooo sick in the 2010 world juniors. That Swiss team was fun to watch.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
It's funny that his name comes up during WJC time even years after.

There must be something wrong with him, because it's not due to lack of exposure that's for sure.
haha I didn't make the connection when I made the thread, I was actually just watching some NLA clips and thought I would throw out the name.

Majority of the reason I tossed up the thread was to see if there was a reason why Conz was not given a chance yet in NA. Seems like a lot of people say "there must be something wrong with him" but I was wondering if anyone would outright point out this major mystery flaw lol but there doesn't seem to be one.

My theory is, he's 21. A team that wants him probably doesn't want to bring him over just to battle for a backup AHL role. He's getting significant ice time in the NLA and maybe teams are just waiting a few years, let him continue to develop at home, then try to bring him over to the NHL in 3-4 years. Seems pretty rare that a Euro goalie comes over to NA, battles for AHL duties and works himself into an NHL starter role. Usually they come over ready and take over the starter role in the NHL or at least compete for the job. (I'm talking about successful Euro goalies here)