HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Spencer Abbott makes big impact in Marlies win

Old
12-03-2012, 12:27 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Spencer Abbott makes big impact in Marlies win

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/02...in-marlies-win

Spencer Abbott (right) had three assists for the Marlies in Sunday's 5-4 win over the Lake Erie Monsters.

Quote:
Spencer Abbott came to the Maple Leafs well under the radar last season, after playoff elimination and when grousing fans had stopped paying attention to Brian Burke’s NCAA free agent signings.

The Maine Black Bears’ star and Hobey Baker Award finalist played eight games, five of them in the playoffs, with one assist and took a seat in the press box most of this autumn. But a few more efforts such as Sunday’s hat trick of assists at Ricoh Coliseum and Abbott will be under consideration for a call-up if the Leafs resume play.

He had exactly the impact coach Dallas Eakins hoped for in the 5-4 win over the Lake Erie Monsters, with most Marlies tuckered by three games in as many days. With the Hamilton native’s contributions during five previous starts, he now has nine points in six games.

“I’m comfortable with his skill level (41 assists and 62 points with Maine in ‘11-12),” Eakins said. “But when putting a lineup together you just don’t throw all your skill in there. You have guys who kill penalties, play a checking role and play power play. It has been hard to work him in every night.

“The first thing (Abbott) wants to do is separate himself from the young players and then the regular players. (But) that’s part of the process of being a rookie.”

Abbott made it in Sunday because Joe Colborne was rested after seven pointless games. Eakins said Colborne would be reinstated this week, but now the onus could be on the big man to step up.

“It has been an emotional rollercoaster here,” said Abbott, who assisted on two Ryan Hamilton goals. “There are so many good players trying to get in. You can’t take a night off otherwise you’re not in the next game.”

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:14 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/02...in-marlies-win

Spencer Abbott (right) had three assists for the Marlies in Sunday's 5-4 win over the Lake Erie Monsters.

Haven't seen him much yet but 9 Pts in 6 GP is nothing to sneeze at.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Budsfan

He is a little on the small size 5'9" but he seems to go into the tough areas and is a pretty good set up man and scorer.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:01 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Don't have huge hopes for him, but he's another lottery ticket. We're bound to get lucky eventually.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:33 AM
SchennerandNazzie

I dont buy into the height factor. If he can handle himself and produce at the ahl level he deservea a shot at the nhl level. Many short players contribute at the nhl level. Martin st. louis, nathan gerbe, tyler ennis, theo fleury for example.

But he could easily also be a keith aucoin. Flourish at the ahl level but not the nhl. If he keeps this play up he deserves at least some call
ups or at least a good stretch of games to prove himself. obviously im not saying im 100% begind him but if he can hold his own at a top six position thats a huge bonus for the leafs has top 6 young talent in our system is sparse compared to bottom 6

SchennerandNazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Don't have huge hopes for him, but he's another lottery ticket. We're bound to get lucky eventually.
Getting what we have out of Tyler Bozak is something I consider as a win. Just having chemistry with Kessel makes the signing a good one, and the fact that he's evolved into one of our more defensively-responsible forwards while putting up ok numbers shows that he exceeded most peoples' expectations across the board. I also think he needs a little more time to adjust to the NHL level and still has more offensive potential in him.

Haven't seen much of Abbott yet, but it's nice to see him doing so well so far this season. Sounds like he should be securing himself a full-time slot on the Marlies roster this year, and could get a decent look when the NHL comes back if he can bring his production with him to training camp.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Stephen

Good to see a kid on the upswing in there being productive instead of watching Colborne stagnate in that position...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:16 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Dave Poulin managed to be talking to Joe Bowen during two of Abbotts assists. He was praising his vision, and how he was able to thread the needle. He said this is a player that is telling the coach that you need and have to put me in every game. This is a player that is making the coach's job more difficult. Poulin sounded like a kid in a candy store.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:48 PM
namttebih

Lupul Abbott Kessel

Haha what a soft line. Hey, if his game translates, he could feed a lot of pucks to Kess.

I know, I know 6 AHL games. Typical Leaf fan.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Spencer Abbott discussion thread ? Seriously though, it's nice to see that he's finally getting talked about, especially considering he was above PPG even before yesterday and no one said a word about him.

He seems to have good vision, time will tell if he can overcome his size disadvantage though.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:43 PM
RiellyGood

He's a hometown kid, loves the leafs , my buddy played in Maine and Hamilton with him knows him well and I've seen them play a bunch kids great, him and Nyquist were on another level my buddy rates them comparably skilled although different players , btw Gustav also killin it this yr, I remember a series vs UND Maine destroyed 2 in 2 nights when the Sioux were one of the top teams in the US, huge games both nights by both those guys they lit them up outscored something like 10-3 over 2 games series...
Sidenote. anyone dare to guess who scored 2 out 3 the UND goals incl 1SH that weekend? Frattin
**** sidenote2. Anyone dare to guess which leaf exec was also in attendance that weekend? Burke

Last edited by RiellyGood: 12-04-2012 at 01:05 PM.
RiellyGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Duffman955

He deserves a shot at the NHL, if he can keep this up at the AHL level. Even though I have only watched a few games, it is possible to see that he has very good vision and ability to find an open man. Great playmaker.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Lol imagine he becomes our 1st line C

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:13 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Honestly, I hope he puts up a lot of points and becomes a great trading chip.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Honestly, I hope he puts up a lot of points and becomes a great trading chip.
Really, I hope he just develops into a good player for us.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Donato
#BarSouth

watched the game yesterday.. he has a very nice pass, and is patient on holding off the pass til the time is perfect.

Has some talent in him.

Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:09 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Please be our Desharnais!

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:40 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

He probably knew it was his shape up or ship out year.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

Really liking the kid's style. Crisp stickhandling and passing. Dark horse for the roster in a few years I'd say, if he really proves he can consistently score in the AHL like he is, definitely deserves a shot with more talented players.

Happy Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:20 PM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
He probably knew it was his shape up or ship out year.
Nailed it.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:14 AM
RonEllisFan

He's little.

RonEllisFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:13 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEllisFan View Post
He's little.
So was Ron Ellis

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:29 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEllisFan View Post
He's little.
Desharnais is smaller, we just need to surround him with a Cole and Pacioretty if he ever makes it (JVR and Frattin?)

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:09 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

There is only 1 concern i have with him. Its skating. Most successful smaller players have the ability to wheel. Often the fastest guys on the ice, able to get themselves out of jams. The vision, IQ, and puck handling is there, but does he have the legs?

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:19 AM
RonEllisFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
So was Ron Ellis
Your right Ron was little and had wheels, but different era in hockey, would'nt you agree? No helmets, little concussions, Dave keon, Laflure all the great players were of small stature.

RonEllisFan is online now   Reply With Quote