HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Staal to St. Louis

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2012, 08:26 PM
  #26
Vladys Gumption
Moderator
Trap City
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Staal for Steen and Polak.

Only move that would make it worthwhile for the Rangers. Even then, it would hurt the D, and I don't want to dismantle the D - it's the Rangers biggest key to success.
I would think very hard and then say yes. I absolutely love Alex Steen and Polak, but I'd do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Getting the better player doesn't always make the team better. There is no doubt that Staal is better than Shattenkirk, but if Shattenkirk was moved for Staal our need for a 2nd pairing puck-moving RHD would instantly become much more significant than our need for a partner for Pietrangelo ever was.
Fair enough. But I was thinking of having Polak and Russell play second pairing and letting Jackman play with Cole on the third pairing.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:28 PM
  #27
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads
 
Kris Chreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC/Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 7,452
vCash: 500
It's going to have to be Shattenkirk+ if you want Staal. Right now, nothing gets moved unless for overpayment and filling a need. Our roster is pretty much perfect. How about Shattenkirk+Sobotka+2nd for Staal? Sobotka can fill our 3rd C, pushing Boyle to 4th line where he belongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha
I think the time has passed where it was a possibility that the Rangers moved Staal. With Erixon now gone and how Staal performed in the playoffs, they aren't going to move him unless they get an insane offer.

I'd offer Stewart and Polák, but that isn't going to do it.
Exactly, it would have made sense to do a Staal for Shattenkirk+ after missing out on Schultz and prior to the Nash trade.

This would actually be a nice d-corps with everyone playing on their correct side:

Mcdonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Shattenkirk
Erixon-Sauer(if healthy of course)
Stralman
Erixon was part of the Nash deal, and Sauer's career is all but over. 3rd pairing would be Eminger/Bickel-Stralman


Last edited by Kris Chreider: 12-03-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:30 PM
  #28
Vladys Gumption
Moderator
Trap City
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
It's going to have to be Shattenkirk+ if you want Staal. Right now, nothing gets moved unless for overpayment. Our roster is pretty much perfect.
Same for the Blues. I actually think the need for Petro's partner is kind of overblown. I'm just bored and wanted to see what other people thought.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:45 PM
  #29
3rdlineglory
Korsi Kevin
 
3rdlineglory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mahopac, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
Erixon was part of the Nash deal, and Sauer's career is all but over. 3rd pairing would be Eminger/Bickel-Stralman[/QUOTE]

Yea that's why I said prior to the Nash trade. Before the trade, the Rangers had a bit of a logjam with Mcdonagh, Staal, Del Zotto, and Erixon all being lefties with the right side being pretty weak: Girardi, Stralman, concussed Sauer, Eminger, and Bickel.

3rdlineglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:46 PM
  #30
underslept
well-informed
 
underslept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
I'd rather have Shattenkirk over Staal, especially at the price the Rangers would ask. I realize he fills a huge need for the Blues' blue line, but the expense he would come at, as you see in this thread, is not worth it for the Blues.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:49 PM
  #31
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Backes or gtfo.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:53 PM
  #32
Vladys Gumption
Moderator
Trap City
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
It's going to have to be Shattenkirk+ if you want Staal. Right now, nothing gets moved unless for overpayment and filling a need. Our roster is pretty much perfect. How about Shattenkirk+Sobotka+2nd for Staal? Sobotka can fill our 3rd C, pushing Boyle to 4th line where he belongs.



Erixon was part of the Nash deal, and Sauer's career is all but over. 3rd pairing would be Eminger/Bickel-Stralman
Yea I could do that.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:54 PM
  #33
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,836
vCash: 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Backes or gtfo.
For Staal + what? Something significant, that's for sure.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:09 PM
  #34
Machinehead
Moderator
Hank, pls
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Backes or gtfo.
One Callahan is enough. Let's get something we need.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:14 PM
  #35
capitalsrock
Registered User
 
capitalsrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
Exactly, it would have made sense to do a Staal for Shattenkirk+ after missing out on Schultz and prior to the Nash trade.

This would actually be a nice d-corps with everyone playing on their correct side:

Mcdonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Shattenkirk
Erixon-Sauer(if healthy of course)
Stralman
Tim Erixon is not on the New York Rangers

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:27 PM
  #36
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,085
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Tim Erixon is not on the New York Rangers
I think he was showing how it would look if this trade was done prior to the Nash trade.

__________________
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:10 AM
  #37
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,566
vCash: 500
Lol, some of the Blues fans in here are severely overrating our need for a LHD. Yeah we could use one, but we don't need to overpay for one and create bigger holes on our team. Trading away guys like Steen, Polak, Shattenkirk just to get Staal isn't making us any better.

Yeah a Staal-Pietrangelo first pairing would be great, but then you have:

Jackman-Polak = completely incapable of moving the puck
Russell-Cole = completely overmatched defensively

When that top-pairing isn't on the ice.

So just no. We aren't trading Shattenkirk, or Polak, or really any of our defensemen for another d-man. The point of a trade would be to add to our defensive group, not subtract from it. Forwards/prospects/picks would be what we are trading.

So thankfully nobody in here is the GM because this isn't happening.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:23 AM
  #38
CarvinSigX
Meh
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Ill Side
Country: United States
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 500
Very well said. No sense in digging the team into a deeper hole.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:33 AM
  #39
Puckgenius*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: At the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Staal for Steen and Polak.

Only move that would make it worthwhile for the Rangers. Even then, it would hurt the D, and I don't want to dismantle the D - it's the Rangers biggest key to success.
Steen and polak? Hahaha Sather hangs up. It would be more like Dastotini and Polak

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:44 AM
  #40
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne
 
Oberyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Steen and polak? Hahaha Sather hangs up. It would be more like Dastotini and Polak
I don't know who this Dastotini guy is but he sounds like a stud.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:47 AM
  #41
The Grouch
Enraged
 
The Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
I don't know who this Dastotini guy is but he sounds like a stud.

Dastotini is solid...

Dastotini > Steen > D'Agostini

The Grouch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:57 AM
  #42
letmesleep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Steen and polak? Hahaha Sather hangs up. It would be more like Dastotini and Polak
How about Dastotini + Stein + Raddle + 3rd?

letmesleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:02 AM
  #43
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,552
vCash: 500
I haven't seen a proposal which clearly improves the Rangers here..

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:23 AM
  #44
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,028
vCash: 380
Not understanding some of these proposals.

Rangers D, like the Blues is pretty good. I would think the Rangers would be looking for offense and the one thing the Blues have is excess wingers. If I'm wrong NYR fans, my apologies for being uninformed.

That said I like having Cole play plus hanging onto whichever one of Perron/Oshie/McDonald it would take to trade for Staal more than I do Staal.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:46 AM
  #45
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,596
vCash: 500
Rangers addressed their need for offense with the Nash trade. What we could use is a RHD who can move the puck, but not at the expense of a top-pairing shutdown guy who is just entering his prime.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:54 AM
  #46
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,028
vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Rangers addressed their need for offense with the Nash trade. What we could use is a RHD who can move the puck, but not at the expense of a top-pairing shutdown guy who is just entering his prime.
Ah I see. Totally forgot about the Nash trade. at me.

Well then yeah I see why Shattenkirk would be the target which makes these teams not a good fit.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:58 AM
  #47
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Ah I see. Totally forgot about the Nash trade. at me.

Well then yeah I see why Shattenkirk would be the target which makes these teams not a good fit.
not so much at you.

Analysis by Trxjw was solid. However, the premise can still be explored if we view this in a context of risk reward.

It doesn't make sense to move Staal unless
1) we get = or better D from the right side, pref. also able to help out on PP
OR
2) we get enough upgrade in another area (sniper/scoring) that it is too much profit to walk away from.

Not adding a D like Shattenkirk to at least partially offset the loss of a premium shut down D forces Blues to add to their non D compensation.

Perron is serious, but not enough premium for Rangers to be short on D.

What it really would take, IMO, is
Stall and lesser X for Tarascenko
or
Stall and something medium substantial Y for Tarascenko + Perron

where Blues keep their D, and Rangers keep Kreider

recognize OP said not to include Tarascenko, and no consternation intended. Just sayin given all of the above, that would be the fastest way to actually make a move that gets Marc to St. Louis.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:02 AM
  #48
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,028
vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
not so much at you.

Analysis by Trxjw was solid. However, the premise can still be explored if we view this in a context of risk reward.

It doesn't make sense to move Staal unless
1) we get = or better D from the right side, pref. also able to help out on PP
OR
2) we get enough upgrade in another area (sniper/scoring) that it is too much profit to walk away from.

Not adding a D like Shattenkirk to at least partially offset the loss of a premium shut down D forces Blues to add to their non D compensation.

Perron is serious, but not enough premium for Rangers to be short on D.

What it really would take, IMO, is
Stall and lesser X for Tarascenko
or
Stall and something medium substantial Y for Tarascenko + Perron

where Blues keep their D, and Rangers keep Kreider

recognize OP said not to include Tarascenko, and no consternation intended. Just sayin given all of the above, that would be the fastest way to actually make a move that gets Marc to St. Louis.
It's a logical argument. Blues couldn't possibly afford to give up the two best offensive weapons they have, but it's not like Marc Staal is anything less than a top pairing defenseman.

I hope Rangers do well. I like their team and the way they play. Wouldn't mind at all a 7 games series with them.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:03 AM
  #49
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
It's a logical argument. Blues couldn't possibly afford to give up the two best offensive weapons they have, but it's not like Marc Staal is anything less than a top pairing defenseman.

I hope Rangers do well. I like their team and the way they play. Wouldn't mind at all a 7 games series with them.
Me either!

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:54 AM
  #50
Vladys Gumption
Moderator
Trap City
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Lol, some of the Blues fans in here are severely overrating our need for a LHD. Yeah we could use one, but we don't need to overpay for one and create bigger holes on our team. Trading away guys like Steen, Polak, Shattenkirk just to get Staal isn't making us any better.

Yeah a Staal-Pietrangelo first pairing would be great, but then you have:

Jackman-Polak = completely incapable of moving the puck
Russell-Cole = completely overmatched defensively

When that top-pairing isn't on the ice.

So just no. We aren't trading Shattenkirk, or Polak, or really any of our defensemen for another d-man. The point of a trade would be to add to our defensive group, not subtract from it. Forwards/prospects/picks would be what we are trading.

So thankfully nobody in here is the GM because this isn't happening.
It's a shame you didn't read my OP right man. I said, it was all hypothetical and that this wouldn't happen anyway. Just wanted to see what the Rangers would want if he were available. I'm not a GM and don't claim to be. Army does a fine job on his own.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.