HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Hope Corrado makes a splash as not many people on the main boards are giving him a chance.
That has more to do with him being a Canucks prospect than anything. Plus, he's a fifth rounder with relatively little hype to his name.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Tiranis

He finished 5th for best defenseman in the OHL last season and he's much better this season. Of course he has a chance.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Jensen really reminds me a lot of Carter when I see him play. I'm pretty sure he'll be a 30 goal winger in the NHL.

Jensen would have to really improve his 200 ft game to be a Carter... Offensively, sure.

And congrats Corrado.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Wisp

Always figured Corrado at least gets invite. I think too many of the other d-man are unreal in the O-zone but not their own.

If he gets a nod, its because of his versatility (Or because of injuries/lockout ending).

Old
12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Always figured Corrado at least gets invite. I think too many of the other d-man are unreal in the O-zone but not their own.

If he gets a nod, its because of his versatility (Or because of injuries/lockout ending).
This!

Yet you say this anywhere but here & you get people jumping down your throat. As well as being told (by a mod) "Corrado is a good prospect, but gets overhyped quite a bit(mainly by those only reading a stat line)"

You know all the overhyping Corrado has been getting by everyone

Old
12-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Poll-

Stuart Percy or Frankie Corrado?

If you could only take one player, who do you take? The Leafs 1st round pick in 2011 or the Canucks 5th round pick in 2011?

Old
12-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Wisp

I don't know how you can call a fifth round draft pick over-hyped.

In any case, he's the prototypical 7th defensemen for tournaments like this. You can band aid him over any hole in the back end. We'll see what happens. Lots of talent to compete with.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Poll-

Stuart Percy or Frankie Corrado?

If you could only take one player, who do you take? The Leafs 1st round pick in 2011 or the Canucks 5th round pick in 2011?
Too many of my choices for d-man come down to whether they're right handed or not. Percy is not, so...

Last edited by Wisp: 12-03-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old
12-03-2012, 07:28 PM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
no one really hypes corrado except canucks fans so when you have a guy saying he's "overhyped" i guess it says a lot about how loud some fans are lol

Old
12-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
no one really hypes corrado except canucks fans so when you have a guy saying he's "overhyped" i guess it says a lot about how loud some fans are lol
that or the guy saying that doesn't know what he is talking about.

I'm pretty sure the "gets overhyped quite a bit(mainly by those only reading a stat line)" was a shot at me (which is surprising to me cause like I said that poster was a mod) because Corrado's name was barely brought up until I said I thought he was a sleeper/Dark Horse to make the team.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

He's got a challenge for sure. Dumba has the inside track for that 7th spot because Spott has had him as an international captain before.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Its on the big ice, how good is Corrado's skating?

Old
12-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Its on the big ice, how good is Corrado's skating?
Heard he's a pretty mobile skater from most who saw his game.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Tiranis

Better than any other D on our team or in the system so he's probably a Top 3-5 skater amongst the defensemen at the camp.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Pseudonymous

Well if you mean by speed. Even that, didn't actually witness corrado really flooring it during that game. He was just playing smart hockey, no need to go full speed at any time, so i dont think anyone else really is able to judge by that recent game if thats all they caught. though i could have missed an instance where that occured

As far as overall skating, to say hes better than anyone in our system, craziness. Hamhuis is one of the best skaters in the league on the backend. There is a reason why he is as good as he is, the guy can shift and turn and skate backwards and move laterally and everywhich way like a damn king - the way he keeps with teh player while skating backwards is extremely impressive

its the reason why a not so big, not so fast D like him is as good as he is

i think ballard is very quick and most of our D are pretty quick, but not often do they ever really get to floor it. as long as you have nhl speed, youre fine, then there is an advantage if your good and have the speed of keith of something

hell hamhuis is pretty quick too

corrado must be pretty damn fast to say hes faster than all our D who aren't exactly murzyns

Last edited by Pseudonymous: 12-04-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old
12-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Well if you mean by speed. Even that, didn't actually witness corrado really flooring it during that game. He was just playing smart hockey, no need to go full speed at any time, so i dont think anyone else really is able to judge by that recent game if thats all they caught. though i could have missed an instance where that occured

As far as overall skating, to say hes better than anyone in our system, craziness. Hamhuis is one of the best skaters in the league on the backend. There is a reason why he is as good as he is, the guy can shift and turn and skate backwards and move laterally and everywhich way like a damn king - the way he keeps with teh player while skating backwards is extremely impressive

its the reason why a not so big, not so fast D like him is as good as he is

i think ballard is very quick and most of our D are pretty quick, but not often do they ever really get to floor it. as long as you have nhl speed, youre fine, then there is an advantage if your good and have the speed of keith of something

hell hamhuis is pretty quick too

corrado must be pretty damn fast to say hes faster than all our D who aren't exactly murzyns
I've seen him play a lot more than one game... And yes, he's a better skater than Ballard and at least as good as Hamhuis. I don't know about straight line speed, but his backwards skating, lateral movement, pivots, etc. are some of the best out there. He's also got better balance than Hamhuis, IMO, which is hugely important for any D who is not that big.

Last edited by Tiranis: 12-04-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old
12-04-2012, 01:02 AM
thefeebster

Not based on a one game viewing, but multiple (15+), he is hands down the best skater in our defense prospect pool, McNally withstanding as I've just never seen him play. Not just speed, but his transitions and pivots are for a lack of a better word flawless. And that's more important for a dman than straight out top speed. I think he's probably top 5 in camp, but all of those guys invited move really well and that's probably why they were chosen.

I think he could challenge for top dman on our team in pure skating drills. Hamhuis is the only one I'd hesitate at. He is really a sublime skater.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Too many of my choices for d-man come down to whether they're right handed or not. Percy is not, so...

Both Percy and Corrado are right-shot Dmen.

As to the poll, I take Percy. Corrado has more grit to his game, but Percy is so poised defensively that he looks like a robot out there at times.

The grit is why I think they chose Corrado over Percy though.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Both Percy and Corrado are right-shot Dmen.

As to the poll, I take Percy. Corrado has more grit to his game, but Percy is so poised defensively that he looks like a robot out there at times.

The grit is why I think they chose Corrado over Percy though.
I know he can play the right side (Spott used him there in the super series game), but the bios on every stats site says he's a lefty (I know, I know, boxscore scouting ftl).

Old
12-04-2012, 01:56 AM
keslerburrows

Who will be representing the Canucks this year in the WJC? Is Jensen over age? I'm guessing Gaunce didn't get an invite? Anyone else?

Old
12-04-2012, 02:06 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Who will be representing the Canucks this year in the WJC? Is Jensen over age? I'm guessing Gaunce didn't get an invite? Anyone else?
Jensen is not overage yet. But Denmark is in D1 this year, and Jensen has not been picked for the preliminary roster. The reason for it is unknown, but I've seen it suspected that he has requested rest, in order to be fresher during the Olympic qualifying matches and senior WC, since he has basicly "graduated" onto the senior national team by now.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:58 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I know he can play the right side (Spott used him there in the super series game), but the bios on every stats site says he's a lefty (I know, I know, boxscore scouting ftl).

Actually, I think you're right. I was misremembering his handedness. He's a left-shot that can play right-side.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Jensen is not overage yet. But Denmark is in D1 this year, and Jensen has not been picked for the preliminary roster. The reason for it is unknown, but I've seen it suspected that he has requested rest, in order to be fresher during the Olympic qualifying matches and senior WC, since he has basicly "graduated" onto the senior national team by now.
Would make sense. It may be a different story if Denmark were in the higher group.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:42 AM
keslerburrows

@Chicago_Wolves: BREAKING: The @VanCanucks have reassigned center Alex Mallet from the Wolves to the ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings. Release to follow.

Wonder why?

Old
12-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
@Chicago_Wolves: BREAKING: The @VanCanucks have reassigned center Alex Mallet from the Wolves to the ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings. Release to follow.

Wonder why?
more minutes and chance to develop offensively like burrows did.

Closed Thread