HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2012, 04:10 PM
  #501
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat
 
Huntershin Karuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Hope Corrado makes a splash as not many people on the main boards are giving him a chance.
That has more to do with him being a Canucks prospect than anything. Plus, he's a fifth rounder with relatively little hype to his name.

Huntershin Karuk is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 04:20 PM
  #502
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
He finished 5th for best defenseman in the OHL last season and he's much better this season. Of course he has a chance.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 04:52 PM
  #503
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Jensen really reminds me a lot of Carter when I see him play. I'm pretty sure he'll be a 30 goal winger in the NHL.

Jensen would have to really improve his 200 ft game to be a Carter... Offensively, sure.



And congrats Corrado.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 06:40 PM
  #504
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,933
vCash: 500
Always figured Corrado at least gets invite. I think too many of the other d-man are unreal in the O-zone but not their own.

If he gets a nod, its because of his versatility (Or because of injuries/lockout ending).

Wisp is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
  #505
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Always figured Corrado at least gets invite. I think too many of the other d-man are unreal in the O-zone but not their own.

If he gets a nod, its because of his versatility (Or because of injuries/lockout ending).
This!

Yet you say this anywhere but here & you get people jumping down your throat. As well as being told (by a mod) "Corrado is a good prospect, but gets overhyped quite a bit(mainly by those only reading a stat line)"

You know all the overhyping Corrado has been getting by everyone

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 07:07 PM
  #506
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,338
vCash: 500
Poll-

Stuart Percy or Frankie Corrado?

If you could only take one player, who do you take? The Leafs 1st round pick in 2011 or the Canucks 5th round pick in 2011?

Drop the Sopel is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 07:07 PM
  #507
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,933
vCash: 500
I don't know how you can call a fifth round draft pick over-hyped.

In any case, he's the prototypical 7th defensemen for tournaments like this. You can band aid him over any hole in the back end. We'll see what happens. Lots of talent to compete with.

Wisp is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 07:12 PM
  #508
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Poll-

Stuart Percy or Frankie Corrado?

If you could only take one player, who do you take? The Leafs 1st round pick in 2011 or the Canucks 5th round pick in 2011?
Too many of my choices for d-man come down to whether they're right handed or not. Percy is not, so...


Last edited by Wisp: 12-03-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Wisp is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 07:28 PM
  #509
pahlsson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,341
vCash: 50
no one really hypes corrado except canucks fans so when you have a guy saying he's "overhyped" i guess it says a lot about how loud some fans are lol

pahlsson is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 07:53 PM
  #510
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
no one really hypes corrado except canucks fans so when you have a guy saying he's "overhyped" i guess it says a lot about how loud some fans are lol
that or the guy saying that doesn't know what he is talking about.

I'm pretty sure the "gets overhyped quite a bit(mainly by those only reading a stat line)" was a shot at me (which is surprising to me cause like I said that poster was a mod) because Corrado's name was barely brought up until I said I thought he was a sleeper/Dark Horse to make the team.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 10:52 PM
  #511
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat
 
Huntershin Karuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,479
vCash: 500
He's got a challenge for sure. Dumba has the inside track for that 7th spot because Spott has had him as an international captain before.

Huntershin Karuk is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 11:20 PM
  #512
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 796
Its on the big ice, how good is Corrado's skating?

Outside99* is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 11:34 PM
  #513
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 7,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Its on the big ice, how good is Corrado's skating?
Heard he's a pretty mobile skater from most who saw his game.

Wilch is online now  
Old
12-04-2012, 12:02 AM
  #514
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Better than any other D on our team or in the system so he's probably a Top 3-5 skater amongst the defensemen at the camp.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 12:36 AM
  #515
Pseudonymous
Registered User
 
Pseudonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 500
Well if you mean by speed. Even that, didn't actually witness corrado really flooring it during that game. He was just playing smart hockey, no need to go full speed at any time, so i dont think anyone else really is able to judge by that recent game if thats all they caught. though i could have missed an instance where that occured

As far as overall skating, to say hes better than anyone in our system, craziness. Hamhuis is one of the best skaters in the league on the backend. There is a reason why he is as good as he is, the guy can shift and turn and skate backwards and move laterally and everywhich way like a damn king - the way he keeps with teh player while skating backwards is extremely impressive

its the reason why a not so big, not so fast D like him is as good as he is

i think ballard is very quick and most of our D are pretty quick, but not often do they ever really get to floor it. as long as you have nhl speed, youre fine, then there is an advantage if your good and have the speed of keith of something

hell hamhuis is pretty quick too

corrado must be pretty damn fast to say hes faster than all our D who aren't exactly murzyns


Last edited by Pseudonymous: 12-04-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Pseudonymous is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 12:54 AM
  #516
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Well if you mean by speed. Even that, didn't actually witness corrado really flooring it during that game. He was just playing smart hockey, no need to go full speed at any time, so i dont think anyone else really is able to judge by that recent game if thats all they caught. though i could have missed an instance where that occured

As far as overall skating, to say hes better than anyone in our system, craziness. Hamhuis is one of the best skaters in the league on the backend. There is a reason why he is as good as he is, the guy can shift and turn and skate backwards and move laterally and everywhich way like a damn king - the way he keeps with teh player while skating backwards is extremely impressive

its the reason why a not so big, not so fast D like him is as good as he is

i think ballard is very quick and most of our D are pretty quick, but not often do they ever really get to floor it. as long as you have nhl speed, youre fine, then there is an advantage if your good and have the speed of keith of something

hell hamhuis is pretty quick too

corrado must be pretty damn fast to say hes faster than all our D who aren't exactly murzyns
I've seen him play a lot more than one game... And yes, he's a better skater than Ballard and at least as good as Hamhuis. I don't know about straight line speed, but his backwards skating, lateral movement, pivots, etc. are some of the best out there. He's also got better balance than Hamhuis, IMO, which is hugely important for any D who is not that big.





Last edited by Tiranis: 12-04-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 01:02 AM
  #517
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Not based on a one game viewing, but multiple (15+), he is hands down the best skater in our defense prospect pool, McNally withstanding as I've just never seen him play. Not just speed, but his transitions and pivots are for a lack of a better word flawless. And that's more important for a dman than straight out top speed. I think he's probably top 5 in camp, but all of those guys invited move really well and that's probably why they were chosen.

I think he could challenge for top dman on our team in pure skating drills. Hamhuis is the only one I'd hesitate at. He is really a sublime skater.

thefeebster is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 01:47 AM
  #518
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Too many of my choices for d-man come down to whether they're right handed or not. Percy is not, so...


Both Percy and Corrado are right-shot Dmen.


As to the poll, I take Percy. Corrado has more grit to his game, but Percy is so poised defensively that he looks like a robot out there at times.


The grit is why I think they chose Corrado over Percy though.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 01:52 AM
  #519
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Both Percy and Corrado are right-shot Dmen.


As to the poll, I take Percy. Corrado has more grit to his game, but Percy is so poised defensively that he looks like a robot out there at times.


The grit is why I think they chose Corrado over Percy though.
I know he can play the right side (Spott used him there in the super series game), but the bios on every stats site says he's a lefty (I know, I know, boxscore scouting ftl).

Wisp is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 01:56 AM
  #520
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Who will be representing the Canucks this year in the WJC? Is Jensen over age? I'm guessing Gaunce didn't get an invite? Anyone else?

keslerburrows is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 02:06 AM
  #521
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Who will be representing the Canucks this year in the WJC? Is Jensen over age? I'm guessing Gaunce didn't get an invite? Anyone else?
Jensen is not overage yet. But Denmark is in D1 this year, and Jensen has not been picked for the preliminary roster. The reason for it is unknown, but I've seen it suspected that he has requested rest, in order to be fresher during the Olympic qualifying matches and senior WC, since he has basicly "graduated" onto the senior national team by now.

Jevo is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 02:58 AM
  #522
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I know he can play the right side (Spott used him there in the super series game), but the bios on every stats site says he's a lefty (I know, I know, boxscore scouting ftl).

Actually, I think you're right. I was misremembering his handedness. He's a left-shot that can play right-side.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:44 AM
  #523
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Jensen is not overage yet. But Denmark is in D1 this year, and Jensen has not been picked for the preliminary roster. The reason for it is unknown, but I've seen it suspected that he has requested rest, in order to be fresher during the Olympic qualifying matches and senior WC, since he has basicly "graduated" onto the senior national team by now.
Would make sense. It may be a different story if Denmark were in the higher group.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 10:42 AM
  #524
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
@Chicago_Wolves: BREAKING: The @VanCanucks have reassigned center Alex Mallet from the Wolves to the ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings. Release to follow.

Wonder why?

keslerburrows is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 10:49 AM
  #525
Edler Von Gud
Registered User
 
Edler Von Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,003
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
@Chicago_Wolves: BREAKING: The @VanCanucks have reassigned center Alex Mallet from the Wolves to the ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings. Release to follow.

Wonder why?
more minutes and chance to develop offensively like burrows did.

Edler Von Gud is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.