HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 06:22 AM
wej20

vCash: 500
and it normally helps if you have a guy who is focused on defense rather than just picking the 6 guys with the highest point totals.

Last edited by wej20: 12-04-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old
12-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
and it normally helps if you have a guy who is focuses on defense rather than just picking the 6 guys with the highest point totals.
What was the name of that guy on the main board who went ballistic over Harrington's inclusion? Prophet of Glennie or something?

Old
12-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecz View Post
What was the name of that guy on the main board who went ballistic over Harrington's inclusion? Prophet of Glennie or something?
Yes. He's since changed his name though.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I bet Mormina gets a coaching job with the Baby Pens a few years down the line (he's still only 30). Hynes will eventually get an NHL offer. Then Nasreddine takes over in WBS and they'll need a new assistant. That's simply how it works with our farm team.
That sounds reasonable. The only issue i would have with that is which coach would handle the forwards. Both Nasreddine and Mormina were/are defensemen. I remember how it took Yeo some time to adjust to running the defensmen after spending his career as a forward.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Solution

Actaully, I think that if there is a season this year Hynes may not be around in the offseason. He was supposedly in the running for the Washington job. Not that he hadmuch of a chance with the bad blood between the two organizations but still...

Old
12-04-2012, 12:06 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
Actaully, I think that if there is a season this year Hynes may not be around in the offseason. He was supposedly in the running for the Washington job. Not that he hadmuch of a chance with the bad blood between the two organizations but still...
I know he was offered a few College head coaching jobs but turned them down, Providence being one of them. Maybe he's going to hang around until Jack Parker retires.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I know he was offered a few College head coaching jobs but turned them down, Providence being one of them. Maybe he's going to hang around until Jack Parker retires.
Not sure I would want to take over after a legend like that. It would be a tough act to follow. Now that you mention it, I am wondering if Hynes would make a better college coach than pro since he seems to be very good at developing the talents of the individual players as well as getting them to buy into a system.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:36 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
Not sure I would want to take over after a legend like that. It would be a tough act to follow. Now that you mention it, I am wondering if Hynes would make a better college coach than pro since he seems to be very good at developing the talents of the individual players as well as getting them to buy into a system.
That's a primo job. I'm sure there are a few BU alum that are on the short list to succeed Jack. There's a lot more job security in a job like that than an NHL head coaching job. I've heard that Jack present contract is up in 2016 and he will retire then.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Strictly playing boxscore watcher here, but given that Portland's the highest scoring team in the WHL by a mile, Pouliot's quantifiable contributions are disappointing.

I like his skating, transition, and offensive IQ, but for a guy that comes up short when you're talking about size, strength, and defense, he's not producing like an offensive defenseman with little else to offer - drafted #8 overall - should on that powerhouse team.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I won't comment on anything Pouliot does in junior. I don't follow that team enough to know his role etc. Some powerhouse teams spread the wealth points-wise instead of having everything run through one player and that player getting rich statistically.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Strictly playing boxscore watcher here, but given that Portland's the highest scoring team in the WHL by a mile, Pouliot's quantifiable contributions are disappointing.

I like his skating, transition, and offensive IQ, but for a guy that comes up short when you're talking about size, strength, and defense, he's not producing like an offensive defenseman with little else to offer - drafted #8 overall - should on that powerhouse team.
He had the primary assist on the game-winner tonight after being down 4-1. He's second overall in points from a defenseman and 4th in points on the Winterhawks. He went through a bit of slump, but he's still contributing. I'd love to see even more points from him, but I'm content with his production for now.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:26 AM
deakka

Even tho i would like to see Poulliot get some more points, his points are far from catastrophical. Hhs almost scorig at a PPG pace (27 in 28) compare that to morrows stats last year (64 in 62) and that comes out pretty close in points per game. And a case could be made that last years Winterhawks were even more of a powerhouse than this years team is.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
He had the primary assist on the game-winner tonight after being down 4-1. He's second overall in points from a defenseman and 4th in points on the Winterhawks. He went through a bit of slump, but he's still contributing. I'd love to see even more points from him, but I'm content with his production for now.
He's not producing terribly, I just think a small, relatively one-dimensional offensive defenseman, playing on a juggernaut, drafted top 10, should be held to a high standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Even tho i would like to see Poulliot get some more points, his points are far from catastrophical. Hhs almost scorig at a PPG pace (27 in 28) compare that to morrows stats last year (64 in 62) and that comes out pretty close in points per game. And a case could be made that last years Winterhawks were even more of a powerhouse than this years team is.
But Morrow was drafted 23rd overall. And he's bigger. And he plays with an edge. And from a goal-for standpoint, this year's team is no worse than last.

Hopefully he can start making more regular contributions to the scoresheet. With his pedigree, playing on that team, without many strengths in areas outside of offense, my expectation is that should lead the Dub in points by a defenseman this season.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:54 AM
deakka

I think it will be hard to catch up to Kicton tbh. I dont know if Poulliot will miss some games due to WJC camp as well (doubt hell make the team). But 2nd in scoring ahead of the new superstar Rielly would be really good. I know they play on different teams so its hard to judge by stats, but bragging rights none the less

Old
12-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
How many of our prospects are playing in the WJC?

Teddy Bueguers (sp?)
Oli Maatta

Old
12-05-2012, 08:10 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
How many of our prospects are playing in the WJC?

Teddy Bueguers (sp?)
Oli Maatta
Bluegers, Maatta and Harrington are locks, Zlobin I think is more likely to be there than not and Pouliot has a chance at getting one of the few open spots on D but I think he'll probably lose out this year.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:52 PM
CaseyPierroZabotel17
I'm the Best

I don't know hardly anything about him, but LW Anthony Mantha of Val d'Or looks like he could be a pretty good pickup in the 2013 draft. he's ~6'3 and had 25 goals in 28 games.

he's currently #16 on Craig Button's rankings.

Quote:
1. He has a power forwards frame 2. He is a very smooth skater and reaches his top speed in 2-3 strides 3. His hockey sense is very strong.
i'd like if the Pens would take him, but they'll probably take another dang Dman.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Like others have stated before, I expect the Pens to go forward-heavy this draft, a la 2010.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He's not producing terribly, I just think a small, relatively one-dimensional offensive defenseman, playing on a juggernaut, drafted top 10, should be held to a high standard.
Especially when that player is a bit of a "reach", IMO.

Fair or not, I think expectations are even higher when a team selects someone that high who was rated to go later in that round, than someone who was a consensus pick around that time. If a player is taken right around where all draft forecasts suggest he should have been picked, and then he struggles, there's a tendency to shrug and not blame the team for making a selection that was expected. But if a player was picked ahead of where he was expected to go, expectation is greater because the pick is sort of seen as the team trying to be "smarter" than the rest.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
I don't know hardly anything about him, but LW Anthony Mantha of Val d'Or looks like he could be a pretty good pickup in the 2013 draft. he's ~6'3 and had 25 goals in 28 games.

he's currently #16 on Craig Button's rankings.

i'd like if the Pens would take him, but they'll probably take another dang Dman.

I've watched Mantha a few times and he's very underrated as a prospect. Glad he's seeing his stock rise, but also would like the Pens be in position to pick him.

I'd loveeeeeee, I mean LOVE if the Penguins were somehow able to grab Valeri Nichushkin in this draft. All depends on the draft order and how far he drops due to the Russian factor. He's a gem though and it may be another Tarasenko situation tbh

Old
12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
deakka

Im looking forward seeing Bluegers in the WJC. Since he hasnt played in the CHL its hard to find higlights and opinions of his play.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Sivek

With the way London (16 straight wins) and Portland are playing, there's a pretty decent shot of them both getting to the Memorial Cup. Would be nice to see all three of Maata, Harrington, and Pouliot in the same game.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Jacob

London will be on the NHL network tomorrow at 7.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

FWIW, the Pens are ranked #12 in the latest team prospect rankings:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...all-positions/

Old
12-07-2012, 07:29 PM
hctopcheds11

Watching Niagra vs London. Absolutely don't understand the Dougie Hamilton hype. I've had a few views of him and always come away disappointed. For a guy whose perhaps considered the best defensive prospect in the world, he sure makes terrible decisions.

Love Harringtons game. I can't think of a comparison but it seems like he just always makes great reads. Maatta looks very raw to me.

Closed Thread