HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Grabner to NJ

Old
12-03-2012, 01:11 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I don't know which is more unlikely, the idea that there will be a 2012-2013 season, or the idea that our top-4 d is set. For 2012-2013 we have 2 legit top-4 D (Streit, Hamonic) and one guy hanging on at the end of his career (Visnovsky). For 2013-2014 we have *one* top-4 Dman signed, Hamonic.

Experience on the back end is IMO more important than on the wing. Personally, I think adding a proven top-4 Dman and having Ullstrom replace Grabner in the NHL lineup is better than having Grabner.

Cheers,

Dan-o
MacDonald plays solid top 4 mins, has for a couple of seasons now. So, I disagree that he's not a legitimate top 4 d-man.
The Isles acquired Vis because they want increased scoring from their blueline. The isles are hoping they get closer to the 68 pts Vis put up in 2010-2011, then the 27 pts he put up in 2011-2012.

Grabner has a total of 54 goals over the last 2 nhl seasons played.
As impressive as Ullstrom 4 total nhl goals are, I'm gonna guess the isle, having lost Parenteau, would prefer to look to Grabner for goal scoring over Ullstrom.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:47 PM
apice3*

Wouldn't really want Grabner. Can't really see him having chemistry with anyone in the top 6.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Wouldn't really want Grabner. Can't really see him having chemistry with anyone in the top 6.
I think he would do well with Elias. An explosive guy like Grabner creates his own chances, and Patrik is always seeing plays two or three steps before they happen. His anticipation skills and hockey smarts make him a good fit with anyone.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Missionhockey

I don't know how I feel about Grabner. I heard a rumor that he lacked hockey sense and finish? Not saying its true but if it is, he's more likely suitable for the 3rd line. With out seeing more of him, I wouldn't offer more than Tallinder.

Missionhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:11 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missionhockey View Post
I don't know how I feel about Grabner. I heard a rumor that he lacked hockey sense and finish? Not saying its true but if it is, he's more likely suitable for the 3rd line. With out seeing more of him, I wouldn't offer more than Tallinder.

34 goals in 2011-2012 would contradict the' lacking finish' comment.

Also, the Isles are building around youth. Can't see them flipping 25 yr old Grabner for 33 yr old Tallinder.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
34 goals in 2011-2012 would contradict the' lacking finish' comment.

Also, the Isles are building around youth. Can't see them flipping 25 yr old Grabner for 33 yr old Tallinder.
I'm assuming you have watched a good chunk of Isles games over the past 2 years, in which case I don't know how you could say that he hasn't had a problem finishing. Even in that 34-goal season, he probably would have finished in the 40s had he finished even half of his breakaway chances.

I'm assuming you are trying to sell NJD fans on Grabner by saying "look at the numbers," even though you know it's true. I don't think it necessarily hurts his value, though. He's still only 25 years old, scored 34 goals 2 years ago in a year where he struggled to finish his chances, and last year had about as bad a year as he could have had and still managed to pot 20. He has value. Enough so that I don't think it's worth it to move him. Not unless he is part of a package to bring in a bigger piece.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I'm assuming you have watched a good chunk of Isles games over the past 2 years, in which case I don't know how you could say that he hasn't had a problem finishing. Even in that 34-goal season, he probably would have finished in the 40s had he finished even half of his breakaway chances.

I'm assuming you are trying to sell NJD fans on Grabner by saying "look at the numbers," even though you know it's true. I don't think it necessarily hurts his value, though. He's still only 25 years old, scored 34 goals 2 years ago in a year where he struggled to finish his chances, and last year had about as bad a year as he could have had and still managed to pot 20. He has value. Enough so that I don't think it's worth it to move him. Not unless he is part of a package to bring in a bigger piece.

I've said in several other HF threads, that I expect Snow will be beating the bushes for a major trade. Dumping Grabner for Tallinder or Fayne+, is not what I had in mind for a major trade. So no, I'm not trying to sell NJ fans on Grabner. He is what he is..a skilled, speedy, inconsistent scorer, who's proven he can be dangerous on the PK and who's contract is team friendly in yrs 1-3. This is yr 2.

34 goals is 34 goals. That number of goals isn't a fluke. It's the result of Grabner's terrific speed. Yes, I recall during that 34 goal season, fans were wishing he had better scorer hands, speculating he'd have had 40 goals if he did. Still he ended up with 34 goals, 7 of then shorthanded.

Was his 20 goal season a disappointment? Sure, but he's not the first player to have a sophmore slump.

He's also not the only NYI secondary scorer, with consistency problems. I've also posted several times that I don't want Okposo moved, unless he's a key to package in major trade.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Fayne seems like a nice player and all, but I don't see him being worth moving a piece the Isles have under control for the next few years.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:32 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I think he would do well with Elias. An explosive guy like Grabner creates his own chances, and Patrik is always seeing plays two or three steps before they happen. His anticipation skills and hockey smarts make him a good fit with anyone.
Grabner always struck me as a guy who scores in transition a lot more than he scores in a cycle offense. Elias excels on the cycle. They're conflicting styles and I don't see anyone else working well with Grabner.

Not to mention Elias gets production with whatever current Devils he's lined with. No point in trading an asset when Elias gets production out of his current linemates anyway.

Just my view.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Kovy and Grabner would be sick. Both of them are speed demons and Grabner is going to get a lot of looks given Kovy will draw a lot of the defense to himself.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:20 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

With Parise now in Mn., the Islanders can avoid being reminded of having the player that should have been on their team beating the crap out of them 6X per year.

Why would they sign up to continue it by trading Grabner within the division?

In-division trades are seldom a good idea. And because it is such a deal, I think for Snow to move Grabner (who he just committed too anyway) would take much of what the Devils wouldn't want to give up.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote