HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Quinn Interview..Leafs, Lockout and Bobby Orr Hit

Old
12-03-2012, 07:34 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Pat Quinn Interview..Leafs, Lockout and Bobby Orr Hit

More than six hundred games played, captain, nearly 1000 penalty minutes, coach of 20 NHL seasons, two-time Jack Adams Award winner, husband, father, four-time Canadian gold medalist (Olympics, U18, U20, World Cup), memorial cup champion, owner, lawyer and community ambassador… These are the accolades and accomplishments of one Pat Quinn, the same accomplishments that led him to being named to The Order of Canada.

Listen along as Michael Langois (@VintageLeaf) and Matteo Codispoti (@Wewantacupcom) sit down and chat with one of the game’s most interesting and respected characters. Pat provides the Leaf Matters podcast with some age-old stories as well as insight on today’s game.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...577173646?mt=2

WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:14 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Say what you will about Quinn, but his teams gelled. The guy is a Mans man. I spoke to another player who commented on the fact that during Quinn's era you would regularly find him talking to the Zamboni driver or the janitor in his office. Those places are all of limits to everyone now. His comment to me stated "it was a dream down there now it's just a nightmare". Quinn also says he got squeezed out of the organization, and wasn't to happy about it. He also thought we should have beat Carolina and would have won the cup. For what it's worth as a fan talking to him was a freakin highlight. Burke has huge pair of Irish shoes to fill."

Old
12-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantACup View Post
Say what you will about Quinn, but his teams gelled. The guy is a Mans man. I spoke to another player who commented on the fact that during Quinn's era you would regularly find him talking to the Zamboni driver or the janitor in his office. Those places are all of limits to everyone now. His comment to me stated "it was a dream down there now it's just a nightmare". Quinn also says he got squeezed out of the organization, and wasn't to happy about it. He also thought we should have beat Carolina and would have won the cup. For what it's worth as a fan talking to him was a freakin highlight. Burke has huge pair of Irish shoes to fill."
Funny story, back when Lindros was a Leaf, my parents went to Buffalo to see a game with some friends. I guess they stayed in the same hotel as the players and they were sitting in the hotel bar when the team started coming down, so they went over to see if they could talk to any of the players or get any autographs.

So Eric Lindros came down and sorta snubbed them off, and right behind him was Pat Quinn and Tie Domi, so they made a comment like "Oh well we will talk to Pat and Tie, we like them better anyway" and they both came up laughing. Tie signed some autographs and went on the bus, but they ended up chatting to Pat for a good 25 minutes while all the players came down

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Kessley Snipes

Always loved Quinn

Kessley Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:15 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
Always loved Quinn
How could you not? Burke is doing a great job filling his shoes though.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Always loved Quinn
Same. I was so sure we were going to beat the Canes and play in the finals in 02

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:39 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Funny story, back when Lindros was a Leaf, my parents went to Buffalo to see a game with some friends. I guess they stayed in the same hotel as the players and they were sitting in the hotel bar when the team started coming down, so they went over to see if they could talk to any of the players or get any autographs.

So Eric Lindros came down and sorta snubbed them off, and right behind him was Pat Quinn and Tie Domi, so they made a comment like "Oh well we will talk to Pat and Tie, we like them better anyway" and they both came up laughing. Tie signed some autographs and went on the bus, but they ended up chatting to Pat for a good 25 minutes while all the players came down
Funny thing is he punches out Orr in Boston Gardens, (tough guy) then he goes and gets a law degree (smart guy) He does all that he has done in hockey which is legendary. He is still the type of guy that screams "Sandra get the door" during our interview and then says "sorry guys thats the furnace guy" hes just a real guy you can look up to. you can just tell he loves the game but more importantly the people in it.

He thought he was going to the finals with the Canes too

Old
12-04-2012, 09:45 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Definitely a shoulder hit

http://youtu.be/scfvJX2xOBY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scfvJ...ature=youtu.be

Old
12-04-2012, 10:58 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Always loved Quinn
Classy and smart.....two things that I miss in a Leafs' GM.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

I did like him quite a bit, wished he would have leaned on Sundin a little more like Burns did with Gilmour, aside from that huge error in judgement, he was the man. Have to admit, he had it made here being coach and GM of the Leafs, prior to the salary cap era. Seemed like the team was always a player or two away from the cup. Would have liked to see him use Sundin and Mogilny together more often too...ok just 2 strikes against in my books all good other than that. Heard nothing but good things from those who've met him...

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote