HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This is the end, beautiful friend.

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 11:48 PM
seemsayin

vCash: 500
Bonjour

Old
12-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Not exactly over, sir. More...more to the side!
I'll...I'll...never do it again!

Old
12-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
I'll...I'll...never do it again!
May the force be with you.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:29 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I found the house I want. Now can I get it...

Old
12-04-2012, 08:19 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
Good luck with it man! You've been through a lot, you deserve something to drop your way.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Clock

Quote:
If you're interested, our realtor only required 1.5% commission instead of the usual 3%. You get a check, tax-free, about two or three weeks after close. Made a pretty big difference for us.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:25 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
If you're interested, our realtor only required 1.5% commission instead of the usual 3%. You get a check, tax-free, about two or three weeks after close. Made a pretty big difference for us.
Thanks, but due to our financial mess, I'm looking to rent.

My mom is going to help me so I can afford this nice house for rent in our kids' school district that is outside my price range by myself.

http://www.nothnagle.com/Properties/...S=19&M=R196167

The house is really nice (although, I could do without the pink & white wallpaper in the master lol) and the yard situation is sweet because it has a fenced in backyard that leads to a huge common yard for the neighborhood.

Lots of kids, including the family of my oldest's former scout leader.

I REALLY hope I get it.

Even my wife wants me to get it to avoid my plan B place that would be awkward....

Old
12-04-2012, 08:25 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Good luck with it man! You've been through a lot, you deserve something to drop your way.
I've had something even more important drop my way already.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:40 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

The realtor in that photo looks EXTREMELY creepy.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Am I the only one who just had their wisdom teeth pulled like any teeth and went home?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
Just means you had less wisdom. I got gassed, had 'em cut out, napped the weekend away and went on my business. I didn't get to miss a week of school, either. That would have been more wise.

Vcv's surgery was for sinuses, no?
Quote:
I remember getting laughing gas, and the docs were trying to my veins, and then waking up with my old man above me. Then I went home. I was eating bandages all day.

I think the next day I had an el nino and bits of meat got stuck in the holes were my teeth used to be.

This concludes an account of my wisdom teeth experience.
I had a great time with mine. They put the gas on and I took a serious hit (I was 18) and the nurse chided me saying, "No, no, just breath normally." I responded, "I'm paying for this, right?" At that point, the whole staff burst out laughing.

I also managed to do the "count backwards from 10" thing... twice. They hadn't seen the like in that office. My father drove me home afterwards and I think I was at work the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Someone come to UB and entertain me. Lol.
I completely mis-read that.

12-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
He kinda looks like Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

What I've learned from this thread, having your wisdom teeth removed will lead to fun times

Old
12-04-2012, 09:54 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

This might be the only DMX video ever made that's safe for work.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Chain, what'd you read it as?

Old
12-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Chain, what'd you read it as?

Someone came at UB and entertained me.

Context. Conjugation. History. Robutussin. Bad mix

Old
12-04-2012, 10:37 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
He had his son with him last night when I did a walk through and he was nice.

I filled out 99% of the application (I don't have my plate # memorized yet) and I have to write a app fee check and mail it in tomorrow.

I sent him an email explaining my situation. Hopefully it will work out....

Old
12-04-2012, 10:52 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Sigh, I love where I work. My coworkers, bosses, the office, location, etc. However, it seems the company is starting to grow up a bit and starting to move in a bad direction (i.e. try to juice the profits by nickel and diming employees). Note: wall of text and work related ranting incoming.

Last year,we had reviews end of Sept/Early Oct, and I was only here 6 months. So, the just under 5% bump I got was considered, for me at least, found money. However, people who were here a bit longer than me (like, 3 months longer) were given a 12% bump, plus an automatic 10% bump 12 months from then in exchange for a 2 year non compete. This was given pretty much to every employee on the tech side who started in 2010 (I started early 2011). So I thought this was the standard and set my expectations as such.

Once September came and went with no reviews, I started to ask my boss and my bosses boss what was going on. Was told reviews were coming, etc. October came and went, and in November I brought it up again. Finally, just before thanksgiving, my boss and I sat down and had a review. Glowing review, I'm doing a great job, etc. However, my boss told me, he doesn't control my raise and I have to meet with HR. Now, it should be noted, those who started a few months before me got a 12% raise last year and had an automatic 10% raise kicked in. So, while they have seen their base salary go up 22%, I have only seen in raise 5%. I noted that in my review and noted I would like to get a similar deal. I was a bit worried when on the review sheet the highest number i saw was '7%' under the raise amount. So, I go to HR hoping they would at match or offer something comparable to what my coworkers got last year.

I meet with HR, and am told that "Well we are going to redo reviews and have everyone around June next year so everyone is on the same page"

"So, my review was for?"

"oh just so you could get some feedback"

"So, no raises?"

"Well we are looking at maybe a bonus for people in a similar situation as you to help them, but that hasn't been approved yet, so don't count on that"

So, having followed the 'path' prescribed by my boss and basically getting the 'Oh well you are getting nothing', I decide to speak directly with my bosses boss, VP of Operations and CTO. I ask him if he has a few minutes, he asks what I want to talk about, I tell him, he says "Ok, let's have lunch and talk about it" and we schedule a time. We have lunch, I bring up my concerns. We talk long term, career options for me, I even have some wrote up job descriptions with me for roles in the company I think are needed that I could fill. He agrees with me that the situation is unfair and asks me exactly what I want. I spell out what I'd like he said 'Ok, I will talk with HR this afternoon. But the best case scenario is likely a small bump now and a bigger bump when we do reviews in June'. Which honestly, I would be fine with. Just a show that I am important to the company and they want to take care of me.

And since then....silence. Lunch was on Friday, and I've heard a whole bunch of nothing. However, a bit more disturbing to my bosses boss, CTO and VP of Operations.....no longer controls my salary. Instead it is controlled by a HR person who has been with the company less than 3 months with zero (as far as I know) tech background. On top of this whole fiasco, after much saying 'Oh don't worry the 401K program is coming!' they announced it last week, 401k is indeed coming. However, the company will not be providing any matching. Zero%. Aka the only benefit of investing in your 401k is tax free saving.

Maybe I'm complaining a bit too much. There are still alot of perks about this job and I love working here. However, recent developments really have put a hamper on my long term enthusiasm and career goals here. I'm reasonably sure that with a bit of resume tweaking and a certification or two, I could land a gig that has a 40-50% higher pay with a better benefits package (including better bonuses and reasonable % match 401k), so it appears, for now at least, I need to start looking at taking care of my long term options as it doesn't appear my current place is willing to commit to me long term. Anyways, any of you peeps in IT have some general advice about navigating the waters? The only people I could go to higher about this is the owners of the company, and while I know them, I certainly don't feel comfortable going to their office and requesting a meeting about it. Anyways, long rant over.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Thanks, but due to our financial mess, I'm looking to rent.

My mom is going to help me so I can afford this nice house for rent in our kids' school district that is outside my price range by myself.

http://www.nothnagle.com/Properties/...S=19&M=R196167
One of my good friends from college basically lives next door to that house. She lives on Mareeta.

I knew Fisher Rd was familiar to me, that's why.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Someone came at UB and entertained me.

Context. Conjugation. History. Robutussin. Bad mix
Oh my. I'm cracking up on the bus now

Old
12-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
And since then....silence. Lunch was on Friday, and I've heard a whole bunch of nothing. However, a bit more disturbing to my bosses boss, CTO and VP of Operations.....no longer controls my salary. Instead it is controlled by a HR person who has been with the company less than 3 months with zero (as far as I know) tech background. On top of this whole fiasco, after much saying 'Oh don't worry the 401K program is coming!' they announced it last week, 401k is indeed coming. However, the company will not be providing any matching. Zero%. Aka the only benefit of investing in your 401k is tax free saving.

Maybe I'm complaining a bit too much. There are still alot of perks about this job and I love working here. However, recent developments really have put a hamper on my long term enthusiasm and career goals here. I'm reasonably sure that with a bit of resume tweaking and a certification or two, I could land a gig that has a 40-50% higher pay with a better benefits package (including better bonuses and reasonable % match 401k), so it appears, for now at least, I need to start looking at taking care of my long term options as it doesn't appear my current place is willing to commit to me long term. Anyways, any of you peeps in IT have some general advice about navigating the waters? The only people I could go to higher about this is the owners of the company, and while I know them, I certainly don't feel comfortable going to their office and requesting a meeting about it. Anyways, long rant over.
I'd give it a couple more weeks and then ask the CTO about it again. If your initial lunch with the guy was on Friday, he's really only had a day and half or so to even do anything about it, and he probably hasn't yet. I'd probably give it to the end of next week and then just bring it up casually with him if you haven't heard back. Going to the owners (even if you know them) puts you in a bad spot if your boss or the CTO find out about it and they don't like it.

If you decide you want out for sure at some point, I'd say just narrow down what path you want to go down and focus on that. Tailor your resume to that specific path and get any certifications in that area up to date. Take a look at what's available in the area to make sure it's a path that won't be a waste of time, too. Being near/in Chicago I assume you could focus on pretty much anything, though.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:05 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I'd give it a couple more weeks and then ask the CTO about it again. If your initial lunch with the guy was on Friday, he's really only had a day and half or so to even do anything about it, and he probably hasn't yet. I'd probably give it to the end of next week and then just bring it up casually with him if you haven't heard back. Going to the owners (even if you know them) puts you in a bad spot if your boss or the CTO find out about it and they don't like it.

If you decide you want out for sure at some point, I'd say just narrow down what path you want to go down and focus on that. Tailor your resume to that specific path and get any certifications in that area up to date. Take a look at what's available in the area to make sure it's a path that won't be a waste of time, too. Being near/in Chicago I assume you could focus on pretty much anything, though.
Yeah I've got a basic plan coming down the pipe:

CCNA (Finally) and RHCSA, along with picking up some powershell to keep me current on the windows side of things. I thought about specializing but, IMHO, in IT that really limits your options. What is more important to me than exactly what I do (Network, System Administrator or even a Do-everything Admin/IT Support for a smaller company) is that I land at a place that is both able to take care of me and compensate me long term, but is that considered an important part of the infrastructure and treated as such. Last thing I want to be is another disposable cog (or being treated as a disposable cog even if the reality is much different). I am treated very well at my current job and, while the income/long term security stuff is important, I'm not quite running for the door quite yet because of the environment. However, with a wedding to pay for as well as my fiance being on a fixed resident income for at least 5 years, anything I can do in the next year to improve my income and long term stability will really improve our quality of living until she starts getting the big doctor dollars.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
Yeah I've got a basic plan coming down the pipe:

CCNA (Finally) and RHCSA, along with picking up some powershell to keep me current on the windows side of things. I thought about specializing but, IMHO, in IT that really limits your options. What is more important to me than exactly what I do (Network, System Administrator or even a Do-everything Admin/IT Support for a smaller company) is that I land at a place that is both able to take care of me and compensate me long term, but is that considered an important part of the infrastructure and treated as such. Last thing I want to be is another disposable cog (or being treated as a disposable cog even if the reality is much different). I am treated very well at my current job and, while the income/long term security stuff is important, I'm not quite running for the door quite yet because of the environment. However, with a wedding to pay for as well as my fiance being on a fixed resident income for at least 5 years, anything I can do in the next year to improve my income and long term stability will really improve our quality of living until she starts getting the big doctor dollars.
It's kind of a fine line. Specializations do limit your options, but at the same time they do help you to not become that replaceable cog. If you're the guy that knows everything there is to know about X and that system stays running running solely because of you, it becomes harder to replace you. On the flip side you'll have way more options as a jack of all trades IT guy, but there's also a billion other people that do that. Hell, our copier repair guy was telling me yesterday the company he works for is requiring all their techs to get A+ and Net+ certs because they want to cover small business IT while they're on location fixing copiers. You're more easily replaceable if you don't have something within the business to label as your own.

That said, that's why I target small to medium sized (20 to a couple hundred employees), non-IT businesses when I'm looking. If you can get in somewhere as the sole point of contact IT person for a business, you're pretty much golden. In that kind of role it's good to have a broad knowledge of everything, but at the same time because you're the sole point of contact for the business you have ownership over all things IT. Once you start building or replacing systems, they pretty much become yours and it becomes difficult to replace you. Plus in a non-IT business, your word basically becomes law since you're generally not going to get challenged over IT decisions (unless it's budget related).

Old
12-04-2012, 01:58 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
There's a bad time to read the OT thread? I can't think of any time when it is bad to read the OT thread...on a first date...while dropping a deuce...with a finger on the nuclear missile launch button...
While watching cats barf... While waiting to have wisdom teeth pulled...

Quote:
Kenmore is not ghetto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
Everything East of Delaware in Kenmore is modest middle class homes. Definitely not ghetto.

And there is also Deerhurst which is considered a very nice neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
Considering Kenmore is all of like 4 square miles there isn't much to be sketchy about.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
Pommers, Enroth, and McCormick all live in my neighborhood. And so does Barnaby.
Sift his trash/recycling for bottles lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Well look. Tonawanda's a big place. You're never exactly sure when you are in Tonawanda.

I lived in an apartment just south of Sheridan near Colvin for 3 years. You go a few more blocks south and you are in Kenmore but I think I was technically in Tonawanda. However, the address said Buffalo. Crazy!
The Town of Tonawanda is geographically large by WNY standards.

Quote:
Not fair. Rob Ray was/is one of my idols and was growing up. My mom is from Buffalo so she sat me down and let me watch him beat the snot out of people. If I had a job like that, or lived in neighborhood, I'd not ask for autographs etc. But just if I saw them, you know, say hi, thank you for the job you're doing, stuff like that. Someone at my mom's work knows Danny Gare. Her mortgage lawyer is friends with Myers too. So hard to not ask "Get him to meet us!"
Best friend's dad was OB/GYN for many of the Sabres wives, & delievered many of their babies in the 70's & 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I moved there in Sept. 2001 so we were probably neighbors for a short time. We were in the last building to the west, closest to Delaware, in the top floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
We were in the middle building in the middle of the "U" on the top floor.

Small world.
Anyone old enough to remember the blue whale car wash at the intersection of the colvin extension and youngs road, just south of the 290 at exit #2 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Absolutely, money is one of the most disgusting things you'll touch even when it HASN'T been in a toilet. Peeing on it is taking it from 85% gross to 95% gross. Acceptable in my opinion.
Urine is actually pretty sanitary.

Quote:
It depends on how much money I have in my wallet and how long it is until last call.
We thought you don't drink? Best wishes with the house.

Quote:
Am I the only one who just had their wisdom teeth pulled like any teeth and went home?
1 dose of codeine, couple hour nap and I was good to go for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
Hostage situation at the IHOP on Walden.
Amazed indeed, pancakes aren't THAT good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Wow, all this free time you seem to have at UB! You must have a 4.0 avg.

When I went to college I studied non stop and still only had around a 3.2.
Well, there's your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
It's the age I would assume .... Under 25?

Also, there is usually a direct correlation between jaw drop beautiful, IQ, attitude, snobbishness, personality, and what they take an interest in.

If you're smart (and it seems you are) you'll learn that ...

Attraction lies within the mind
There is no other kind
That perseveres throughout time
Understand where to draw the line
My mind likes boobs.

Quote:
May the force be with you.
I have that pic on my fridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
What I've learned from this thread, having your wisdom teeth removed will lead to fun times
Seinfeld episode at the dentist...

@Doak,
Start stealing office supplies. And be sure to hang on to your stapler.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:59 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
It's kind of a fine line. Specializations do limit your options, but at the same time they do help you to not become that replaceable cog. If you're the guy that knows everything there is to know about X and that system stays running running solely because of you, it becomes harder to replace you. On the flip side you'll have way more options as a jack of all trades IT guy, but there's also a billion other people that do that. Hell, our copier repair guy was telling me yesterday the company he works for is requiring all their techs to get A+ and Net+ certs because they want to cover small business IT while they're on location fixing copiers. You're more easily replaceable if you don't have something within the business to label as your own.

That said, that's why I target small to medium sized (20 to a couple hundred employees), non-IT businesses when I'm looking. If you can get in somewhere as the sole point of contact IT person for a business, you're pretty much golden. In that kind of role it's good to have a broad knowledge of everything, but at the same time because you're the sole point of contact for the business you have ownership over all things IT. Once you start building or replacing systems, they pretty much become yours and it becomes difficult to replace you. Plus in a non-IT business, your word basically becomes law since you're generally not going to get challenged over IT decisions (unless it's budget related).
Aka, basically my job. My first act was to unblock ******, youtube, and facebook.

I am a generous god.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:26 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
@Doak,
Start stealing office supplies. And be sure to hang on to your stapler.
I steal t-shirts. Pretty sure I have at least 10 t-shirts with my employers name on them somewhere.

Closed Thread