HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread #3: The Rollercoaster Continues...

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
December 15-31st,2012 6 19.35%
January 2013 13 41.94%
September 2013 6 19.35%
October 2013-December 2013 2 6.45%
January 2014 0 0%
September 2014 0 0%
October 2014-January 2015 0 0%
NHL is gone forever 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 11:58 PM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I would expect he'd have the lead on any Boston stories, but I doubt he's well connected with the owners or any reps from either side that they'd leak it to him over Dreger or Bob Mac.

Its like if Gene broke this story. Yeah he might know what's going around with the Oilers, but I don't see him as an insider like the TSN guys.
Jacobs could be the highly ranked official that he's talking about, he also said that he heard from a highly ranked source on the other side.

Also, i think he's more legit than somebody like Principe.
However, i understand where you're coming from. I doubt that he would know any more than more legit hockey insiders.
I just don't understand why he would go out on a real limb on a major news broadcast without any concrete information. The timing is also interesting with the meeting tomorrow and the BOG meeting on Wednesday.
It's also interesting that his report hasn't been outright shot down by any insiders.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Burton broke news about Kessel and Thomas wanting to take the year off as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
FWIW, this guy first broke the Kessel having cancer and Tim Thomas taking a year off stories and is apparently a really respected reporter so i wouldn't dismiss him so easily.

I'm not terribly optimistic about his report but it makes you wonder why such a well respected guy would put his reputation on the line like that. Then again. Nobody cares about the NHL in the states so would anybody notice if he was wrong?
But wouldn't this be more to do with a local sports beat reporter in Boston knowing more about the local club?

This is a much different breaking story and not local. Plus that its unlikely any team or source would divulge too much on a detail like this.

If Terry Jones started predicting the end of the lockout I wouldn't take it too seriously either. Being team connected is not the same as having the inner scoop on a league lockout.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:30 AM
#ualberta

Aaron Ward said there is no truth to Burton's report in response to a couple people,
Pretty courageous of burton to report that on the radio and then again on tv

Old
12-04-2012, 12:31 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
But wouldn't this be more to do with a local sports beat reporter in Boston knowing more about the local club?

This is a much different breaking story and not local. Plus that its unlikely any team or source would divulge too much on a detail like this.

If Terry Jones started predicting the end of the lockout I wouldn't take it too seriously either. Being team connected is not the same as having the inner scoop on a league lockout.
Agreed on all points.
I just find it odd that an apparently well respected guy would stick his neck out like this unless he was sure that his sources were legit.
I personally think it's extremely far fetched but it'll at least make the next few days interesting.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Aaron Ward said there is no truth to Burton's report in response to a couple people,
Pretty courageous of burton to report that on the radio and then again on tv
While I don't believe Burton's report, Aaron Ward is a gigantic toolbox and I don't take anything that he says seriously.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

What about the reporter that said Snider is reportedly softening his stance on the lockout.

This whole lockout has been a confusing mess. Like all labour disputes i guess.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:33 AM
oilinblood

What if it is a meeting behind the backs of both Fehr and Bettman or just one of the two? I think its on the verge of being illegal if that happened. In that case i could see people knowing but not reporting. What if Daly, or Bettman approached a player or player approached them and said lets figure this out...or have a coffee and see what we can do. Lets talk about the issues and see if we cant figure out solutions.
Its tampering i am pretty F^N sure but ... i certainly believe more than half the players will gladly take the offer on the table to get back to playing --nevermind a deal tweaked a bit further to the players.

That would be a scenario where i could see guys like Bob Mac etc...keeping their lips tight

Wait... if Fehr gave permission for a player/owner meeting... lol... then maybe he accidentally gave permission to meetings of the kind even if he didnt specify or control the date and time? Maybe its like a loophole. he accepted and gave power for the players to meet owners and said hed get back to the nhl with detail. maybe when he accepted he didnt specify so they have him on record that players re free to talk to owners/nhl on their own.
:O

Man... if i was thinking the players had brains i would be thinking a bunch asked to seperate from the NHLPA and beg Paul Kelly to represent them as a new union.

-----the question was why would one guy be spouting off stuff when he has a rep to look after but the nhl insiders are keeping their mouths shut... i just gave you a top of the head possible answer. (keep in mind bettman might be bad at seeing gaps in a cba that can be used as loopholes but as an oiler fan i know he is pretty good at sneaking little clauses into agreements to keep teams in place and may have puroosely worded this meeting option as a admittance of allowing players to bargain.
maybe because the reporter is only --well connected-- but not an nhl insider he wasnt really supposed to know and didnt know he wasnt supposed to report it?

Last edited by oilinblood: 12-04-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old
12-04-2012, 08:11 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Bob says he can't find anything substantiating it but he would report it too if he heard anything.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:26 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
While I don't believe Burton's report, Aaron Ward is a gigantic toolbox and I don't take anything that he says seriously.
Well you don't have to listen to his opinions but he is reliable and has been the first to report things in the past he was the first to say the players owners meeting was happening on Tuesday. In the end the only reason I (or we) keep up with these journalists is for their sources and information

Bob Mckenzie wouldn't shoot down the story but said he has no information to support it

@TSNBobMcKenzie: So, just to be clear, I'm not saying the Boston report is untrue or not accurate. I'm saying I can't get info to support it. That's all.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 370
Gregor probably has it right, Jacobs feed Burton as Jacobs has been taking heat.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:32 AM
#ualberta

There is a lot of players in nyc Sounds like maybe 10 players will participate in todays meeting with the six owners along with Daly and one staff member from the pa meeting should start around 2 ET (noon MT)

Old
12-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Yeah not trying to get too optimistic but it seems really odd for a fairly well respected reporter to stick his neck out like that.

To me this would be the equivilent of Bobby Mac reporting false news. Whether or not something gets done I believe that what he's reporting has some legs to it. Now it's just whether or not a deal can get hammered out.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:46 AM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

That Burton dude has been doing sports for 25 years there I believe and even has inside access to the patriots.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:50 AM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

I also think a guy like BOB and Dreger wouldn't really have the cajones to say it outright like Steve did. They would want multiple sources before they just went ahead and said something like that.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:55 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
I also think a guy like BOB and Dreger wouldn't really have the cajones to say it outright like Steve did. They would want multiple sources before they just went ahead and said something like that.
You're setting yourself up for disappointment. TSN breaks most things for a reason, they talk to everyone, and they've heard NOTHING? Not bloody likely.

I mean, Daly couldn't have quashed that Burton thing any harder. "No morsel of truth", "no secret conversations".

Old
12-04-2012, 11:59 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
You're setting yourself up for disappointment. TSN breaks most things for a reason, they talk to everyone, and they've heard NOTHING? Not bloody likely.

I mean, Daly couldn't have quashed that Burton thing any harder. "No morsel of truth", "no secret conversations".
Unless Jacobs said piss on it and has one dedicated media person that he trusts with everything.

Which team is that in Canada that has that, I just can't think of them at the moment

Old
12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Oh I hope there is a season, but I don't care much anymore. They can cancel today for all I care and my entertainment will be laughing at the players who go irate on Twitter.

It's near the end anyways. Sponsors need 58-60 games. Deadline is fast approaching.

We rarely went to any games because of how bad they were, but we cancelled our 4 seasons tickets. I can watch this stuff on tv with my friends or go to a bar. Save money. It wasn't just because of this lockout, but it helped push us over.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Stare of Death

I'd rather have zero games than a season that starts in January. Imagine how fast that season would go.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:08 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Oh I hope there is a season, but I don't care much anymore. They can cancel today for all I care and my entertainment will be laughing at the players who go irate on Twitter.

It's near the end anyways. Sponsors need 58-60 games. Deadline is fast approaching.

We rarely went to any games because of how bad they were, but we cancelled our 4 seasons tickets. I can watch this stuff on tv with my friends or go to a bar. Save money. It wasn't just because of this lockout, but it helped push us over.
The number I keep hearing is 48.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I'd rather have zero games than a season that starts in January. Imagine how fast that season would go.
You've gotta be on the players side with thinking like that.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

I'm not saying this is legit and we are going to hear an announcement this week. But tell me why a well respected guy like that would just come out and say this stuff? He doesn't cdare for his job anymore? He does want anyone to take him seriously anymore?

Old
12-04-2012, 12:15 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I'm not saying this is legit and we are going to hear an announcement this week. But tell me why a well respected guy like that would just come out and say this stuff? He doesn't cdare for his job anymore? He does want anyone to take him seriously anymore?
Pretty much, although who knows it could be the case.

If we find out in a couple days that he was full of ****, then it's really easy to add him to the list of guys not to pay attention to going forward. Until then I'll wait and see.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:16 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I don't know if he's got a funky source, or if he just lost his mind, but when every other source comes out and says "we've heard nothing like this", it doesn't make sense at face value anyway, and the deputy commissioner goes on record saying that not one bit of that report is true.... **** is quashed.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I don't know if he's got a funky source, or if he just lost his mind, but when every other source comes out and says "we've heard nothing like this", it doesn't make sense at face value anyway, and the deputy commissioner goes on record saying that not one bit of that report is true.... **** is quashed.
No and that's fair. I just believe that whether something gets done or not that there is some truth to what he's saying whether that comes to the light of day or not who knows.

Daly likely is denying everything right now to shift the focus to this core group that's meeting not necessarily something that may already be in place.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:29 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Not that i necessarily disagree with you but do you expect Daly to come out and say that "Yes, we are close to a deal" especially if Burton is right about them having a "secret" meeting yesterday?
It's quite possible that Jacobs is Burton's source but it's also possible that Jacobs was just feeding him hogwash. I don't know, the whole situation is confusing. I don't know what an established guy like Burton would have to gain by blurting out a false report and also interviewing Lucic with the news of what he heard and i don't know what his source would have to gain by feeding him false information.

Closed Thread