*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Rubbers29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
While I would prefer seeing someone with some OHL experience, he does seem to have the chops for the job.
I personally like the idea of bringing a successful coach from a lower tier up, IMO you have a better chance with someone that is on the rise as opposed to someone that has been in the same position awhile, unless you're stealing from another team any coach that is available with experience is available for a reason, they have failed somewhere else and need somewhere else to go

Old
12-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbers29 View Post
I personally like the idea of bringing a successful coach from a lower tier up, IMO you have a better chance with someone that is on the rise as opposed to someone that has been in the same position awhile, unless you're stealing from another team any coach that is available with experience is available for a reason, they have failed somewhere else and need somewhere else to go
Good story in the Toronto Sun today with Keefe Acknowledging he had severed all ties with Frost and Danton/Jefferson some time ago. Good on him and on the Soo in doing their due diligence and giving the guy an opportunity, but mostly on Keefe in acknowledging his past and moving on. Good luck!

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/03...o-shed-baggage

Old
12-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Ottomatic

Interesting bringing in Keefe into a dressing room with Cousins, Petaccio and Fristch.

To paraphrase a Marilyn Manson lyric -
"We're all stars now in the gong show"

Old
12-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Good story in the Toronto Sun today with Keefe Acknowledging he had severed all ties with Frost and Danton/Jefferson some time ago. Good on him and on the Soo in doing their due diligence and giving the guy an opportunity, but mostly on Keefe in acknowledging his past and moving on. Good luck!

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/03...o-shed-baggage
How did he testify at the 2007 Frost sexual exploitation trial?

Old
12-04-2012, 11:54 AM
IcemanTBI

Bill Montague not to happy with this hire.

http://video.lucknowsentinel.com/vid.../2009066293001

Old
12-04-2012, 11:59 AM
IcemanTBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Interesting bringing in Keefe into a dressing room with Cousins, Petaccio and Fristch.

To paraphrase a Marilyn Manson lyric -
"We're all stars now in the gong show"
LOL! Its been a gong show in the sault for a while now. So much bad PR with the Hounds over the years. Ever since the Nolan era, this team has been in shambles... Only exception was when Hartsburg was coach.... You can write a book with the circus that has been the soo greyhounds over the years.

Yet, they are my team and my hometown, so i will support them no matter how bad the circus gets.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
How did he testify at the 2007 Frost sexual exploitation trial?
There is a publication ban on the names of two former pro players who testified on behalf of the witness (Frost), they were not questioned by the prosecution as part of their agreement to appear.....

Old
12-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Bill Montague not to happy with this hire.

http://video.lucknowsentinel.com/vid.../2009066293001
I think the Bob Jones ship sailed in the Soo with that bar fight against the 20 yr old kid. At least there needs to be a few more years passage. But hell, he'd have been a better hire than Keefe, though would have had to wait until the off-season.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:42 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
I think the Bob Jones ship sailed in the Soo with that bar fight against the 20 yr old kid. At least there needs to be a few more years passage. But hell, he'd have been a better hire than Keefe, though would have had to wait until the off-season.
What, exactly, do you have against Keefe?

Old
12-04-2012, 01:41 PM
MisterDB

Well the whole situation in the soo is interesting to say the least.

I have a question on another matter.

What did SSM Asst. Coach Mike Oliverio do on Dec 1 to deserve a 2 game suspension? There was nothing on game sheet.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
IcemanTBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDB View Post
Well the whole situation in the soo is interesting to say the least.

I have a question on another matter.

What did SSM Asst. Coach Mike Oliverio do on Dec 1 to deserve a 2 game suspension? There was nothing on game sheet.
I was at the game. I believe he was suspended for some choice words he had for the refs. Not sure what was said, but he was pretty livid. Mind you, the refs penalized the hounds on every little thi g whike calling next to nothing on owen sound. I could understand why he was so upset.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:33 PM
prowatcher

Quote:
I was at the game. I believe he was suspended for some choice words he had for the refs. Not sure what was said, but he was pretty livid. Mind you, the refs penalized the hounds on every little thi g whike calling next to nothing on owen sound. I could understand why he was so upset.
It is never dull in the Soo

Old
12-05-2012, 12:28 PM
mapleleaf979

David Miller article here.

http://ojhl.pointstreaksites.com/vie...-21/news_60978

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-05-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
eye for hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Look forward to watching Miller play in Ohl , has skill level and great 2 way player. Great stats in ojhl also for a rookie.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Principal14

good game last night, big win, hope they continue with the better team defence and go on a bit of a streak

Old
12-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Hockey Fan 19

Anyone have anything on the trade being rumored on Twitter??

Old
12-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Principal14

trades

well, do you think the team is going to stay the course, buy or sell? I wouldnt be surprised to see one of the veteran dmen to be moved ? any thoughts...........

Old
12-22-2012, 05:27 PM
KnightsInsider93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan 19 View Post
Anyone have anything on the trade being rumored on Twitter??
If you are referring to Koekkoek, Quine, Ritchie/Mathers. It is definately more than rumours.

It all started when Sunayas (Yahoo Sports) tweeted saying there were troubles going on in peterborough with trade requests.

@PetesInsider (who I would consider a credible source) then tweeted out the names of those involved. Those names were Koekkoek, Ritchie and Quine.

Later Gene Pereira tweeted the same names claiming he used different sources than @PetesInsider verifying @PetesInsider

Immediately the rumours started gaining speed with newspaper attention, online articles and radio attention.

Koekkoek, Pelino, Quine, Ritchie, Sunayas and Gene Pereira never shot down the rumours.

Then as we all know Mike Pelino was fired. Nick Ritchie then changed his mind and decided to stay providing good coaching. Derek Mathers's name was then added into the mix after he claimed he did not want to be part of another rebuild. Slater Koekkoek commented saying “It's tough to hear. Mike treated me well in my time there and really taught me the ropes of the OHL and gave me every opportunity I can ask for.” Quine was unavailable to comment.

Some things that stand out to me that make these rumours more than rumours to me include:

1) Alan Quine and Slater Koekkoek are together in Mont Tromblent, but only one of them was available for comment
2) Slater Koekkoek spoke in past tense "in my time there"
3) Not one person involved has turned them down. If they werent true, they would have been shot down by at least one of them, especially Koekkoek who has spoke to media and is active on Twitter.

For the full article go to:
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...pelinos-firing

Old
12-29-2012, 09:38 PM
mapleleaf979

David Miller first OHL game tonight, It took him 8 minutes to get his first assist, whats that his third shift? Gets his second assist four minutes later at the 12 minute mark in the first. Nice debut and a complete steal in the 2012 draft, I believe he has a future in the NHL.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Principal14

lets not get to carried away mapleleaf

Old
01-02-2013, 05:41 PM
eye for hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
David Miller first OHL game tonight, It took him 8 minutes to get his first assist, whats that his third shift? Gets his second assist four minutes later at the 12 minute mark in the first. Nice debut and a complete steal in the 2012 draft, I believe he has a future in the NHL.
Watched game against Saginaw and Miller played like a first or second round selection , played tough in corners and will be a pleasure to watch in Sault st. Marie.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:38 PM
eye for hockey

Pettaccio to Ottawa ...good luck in your future.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:28 PM
IcemanTBI

Start believing Houns fans.... Keefe has turned this team around in a hurry! 8 straight home wins and 7-2-1 in their last 10 games.. this team is on fire with a win against league leading London!

Old
01-14-2013, 12:56 PM
eye for hockey

Quote:
Start believing Houns fans.... Keefe has turned this team around in a hurry! 8 straight home wins and 7-2-1 in their last 10 games.. this team is on fire with a win against league leading London!
Just became a Hounds fan this year and like what I see in the play of the team since Sheldon took over. Glad that they did not make any major moves by trade deadline as fans are coming out in droves now with the fans and team excited. As far as next year and not making any major moves there is time in the summer to work on their new recruits and possible deals to be made. The whole organization now looks like it is on track but a lot of hard work still ahead.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:24 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Hopefully the OHL will give Cousins a fair shake

http://www.saultstar.com/2013/02/25/...shake---ruicci

Quote:
Skating behind his own net, the Knights Tommy Hughes appeared to turn just before a forechecking Cousins made contact with him. Hughes wasn’t seriously injured and, in fact, his shot late in the game was redirected in by Alex Broadhurst for the OT winner

Quote:
I’m thinking a three-game suspension makes sense for Cousins’s offence.

But honestly, considering how the thought of having Cousins’s name engraved on the Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy is likely too much for this league to bear, would it surprise you if Cousins was slapped with a longer penalty?

Long enough to jeopardize his chances of winning the scoring crown?

Years ago, I used to believe things like that never happened.

But the OHL has become a very political entity.

And too often we’ve seen this image-before-all league implement punishment differently, depending on the status of the player or players involved.

Closed Thread