HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Sciences
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Sciences A place to discuss natural, applied & social sciences, along with any other academically-oriented topics of interest to membership.

Meteorology

Old
11-10-2012, 05:31 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Meteorology

Anyone else into it? Planning on majoring in Atmospheric Sciences once I get to college, loved weather since I was a kid.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:01 PM
ThaDevilGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Anyone else into it? Planning on majoring in Atmospheric Sciences once I get to college, loved weather since I was a kid.
Do it. I'm currently training to become an operational forecaster and I love it.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

I loved Weather/Meterology growing up as well, still do. When I was a kid I knew what I wanted to do, either become a police officer, something with Meteorology, or play in the NHL. Well thankfully I did accomplish one of those.

Your gonna have a good time in college learning it.

When I retire at 41 i'd love to somehow get into the meteorology field, such a interesting field.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:08 PM
KevFist
is best pony

I have a Meteorology degree from Mississippi State that i don't use..LOL. I'm involved in SKYWARN, RACES and ARES. Being here in Alabama, I get plenty of opportunity to utilize Operational meteorology due to tornados and hurricanes. Done some chasing, but I run net more than anything these days. Chasing in Alabama isquite dangerous due to terrain and our propensity to having rain wrapped tornados.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:27 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFist View Post
I have a Meteorology degree from Mississippi State that i don't use..LOL. I'm involved in SKYWARN, RACES and ARES. Being here in Alabama, I get plenty of opportunity to utilize Operational meteorology due to tornados and hurricanes. Done some chasing, but I run net more than anything these days. Chasing in Alabama isquite dangerous due to terrain and our propensity to having rain wrapped tornados.
Have you ever been chasing storms in TX, OK, etc.? It's a dream of mine to go chase in tornado alley once in my lifetime but it's expensive and quite dangerous for somebody who doesn't quite know tornadoes. We have some weak tornadoes in Quebec but they're so hard to forecast, they are more like a surprise. My other option could be going to the Canadian Prairies in July but I think their tornado seasons are hit or miss.

I guess first things first, I need a car, and more knowledge.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:36 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
That's one thing I'm glad for, living in Texas. Planning on going to A&M and staying somewhere in Texas, so I'll have some great opportunities to experience all sorts of weather (we've had snow, hurricanes, tornados, etc.). Not totally sure I'm interested in chasing storms and all that, but they're always there if I want to.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:37 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I took a couple weather classes. I enjoyed parts, but also found other parts to be pretty boring. Pretty interesting learning about hurricanes, tornadoes and other big weather events, but learning about microclimates and stuff like dry & saturated adiabatic lapse rates wasn't too exciting for me.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:04 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Have you ever been chasing storms in TX, OK, etc.? It's a dream of mine to go chase in tornado alley once in my lifetime but it's expensive and quite dangerous for somebody who doesn't quite know tornadoes. We have some weak tornadoes in Quebec but they're so hard to forecast, they are more like a surprise. My other option could be going to the Canadian Prairies in July but I think their tornado seasons are hit or miss.

I guess first things first, I need a car, and more knowledge.
I've never been chasing in TX or OK, but I know it's a great deal safer than it is here in the Southeast, mainly due to terrain features. Alabama is quite mountainous for the most part, so it's easy to have something come up on a ridge on you. In the Midwest, you can literally see for miles.

If you really want to do some storm chasing n the Midwest, I suggest using a chasing tour group your first time. I highly recommend Tempest Tours, due to their association with Chuck Doswell. He and Leslie Lemon are two of the best known minds when it comes to Supercell Development and Tornadogenesis.

http://www.tempesttours.com/

Old
11-12-2012, 12:08 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFist View Post
I've never been chasing in TX or OK, but I know it's a great deal safer than it is here in the Southeast, mainly due to terrain features. Alabama is quite mountainous for the most part, so it's easy to have something come up on a ridge on you. In the Midwest, you can literally see for miles.

If you really want to do some storm chasing n the Midwest, I suggest using a chasing tour group your first time. I highly recommend Tempest Tours, due to their association with Chuck Doswell. He and Leslie Lemon are two of the best known minds when it comes to Supercell Development and Tornadogenesis.

http://www.tempesttours.com/
Awesome. I know tornado "sightseeing" tours have been increasingly popular in the past few years.

Speaking about weather, beautiful day in Southern Qc and warm. Montreal beat its Tx previous record of 16C with a 19C at noon and most certainly still increasing. Yesterday we had a warm front passing over us associated with a low pressure system currently located over Hudson Bay, left us with freezing precipitations in the morning. Cold front will pass late evening over Montreal. Probably the last push of warmth before Winter (it feels like I've told myself the same thing many times this fall already).

Old
11-12-2012, 04:04 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Cold and wet here in Birmingham, AL today. Our high was 66 degrees f, which came at midnight last night. We had a cold front bring in some rain and move through, bringing some rather cold air with it. We're in our secondary tornado season right now.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:32 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories..._windfarm.html

Wind farms will start supplying weather data for better forecasting.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:58 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories..._windfarm.html

Wind farms will start supplying weather data for better forecasting.
Good news. The more data we get, the better.

As for current weather, it's been a nice day in Montreal. We're under an anticyclonic regime and will be for at least the next 5 days... Boring.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
A fair amount of vector calculus and physics, but it's a great path to pursue IMO. I've loved it since the day I arrived at University.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:40 PM
ThaDevilGirl

You know the weather is boring when the only notable thing in a weather briefing is smog warnings. We've been under an anticyclone for days now and nothing is happening. It's been cool and sunny for almost two weeks and with no precipitation. The air is more hazy than anything though. Fortunately tomorrow should be the last day for these conditions as a new air mass will be pushing through starting on Friday with a low pressure that formed near Montana. Some snow showers are expected behind the system for Sunday in Montreal but it shouldn't be more than a few snow flakes. Probably some small accumulation at higher elevations. Can't wait, lol.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:02 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://news.discovery.com/earth/mt-r...mkcpgn=rssnws1

Mt Rainer forecast for up to 108 inches of snow this WEEK.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:49 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Strangely quiet November here in Alabama weatherwise. It's typically our secondary severe weather season, but there hasn't even been a thunderstorm warning issued by BMX NWS this month. Pretty much been capped off by high pressure. we had a fairly calm Spring season as well. then again, most years WOULD be mroe calm than 2011.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:40 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Oh my God, Environment Canada is forecasting Montreal's first snow accumulation for tonight. 2 to 4 centimeters. If it's closer to 4, drivers will have a fun time during rush hour tomorrow morning.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:14 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/trmm-15.html

NASA's Tropic Rain Measuring Mission (TRIMM) turns 15

Old
12-04-2012, 11:41 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Super Typhoon Bopha on 12/2 from ISS

Old
12-05-2012, 05:39 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Super Typhoon Bopha on 12/2 from ISS
Beautiful.

And yet so terrible.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:40 PM
josephwild123
Wild Idiot

vCash: 626
Now this is a thread I'll spend a lot of time in.

josephwild123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephwild123 View Post
Now this is a thread I'll spend a lot of time in.
It needs more interesting weather

Old
12-07-2012, 02:45 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
If Milwaukee can make it to Sunday without any measurable snow it will set a record in the city for most consecutive days without any measurable snowfall at 280.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 03:37 PM
ThaDevilGirl

First significant snow accumulations are due for tomorrow and Monday over the province of Quebec as two low pressure systems are tracking NE. One is impacting southern Quebec today with mostly rain for Montreal and snow further north and in elevated terrains. The fun starts sunday night/monday morning with a Colorado low. Precipitations should start in snow and stay in snow north of Montreal. South of Montreal we're expecting snow changing to freezing precip and then rain. Obviously, the St-Lawrence valley could be affected by a prolonged period of freezing rain since it is notorious for funneling cold air from the NE underneath southerly warm air aloft.

What a sucky weather to start the week.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:03 AM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

Loved meteorology as a kid growing up. Every single science project I did in school was weather-related. For a long time, I would only watch the news for the weather segment. Hell, the Weather Channel was my go-to after-school station, especially if something drastic was happening in my area or around the world. My favorite movie still to this day is Twister.

I always wanted to work with extreme weather, become an analyst of some sort. Then, I started doing research and saw all of the advanced math and science it required and I was like "NOOOOOOOOOPE". That stuff isn't my cup of tea.

I'm now a college grad with a journalism degree. Go figure. But I always keep an eye on the weather for old times sake.

TheMurdocktor is offline   Reply With Quote