HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

True. Ovechkin and Michalek can attest to that. It just depends if Zib can overcome it or not.
On the other hand you have a player like Toews, who's skill set is of 2nd line quality but hockey sense among the best in the game. In turn you have a PPG center.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:45 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
On the other hand you have a player like Toews, who's skill set is of 2nd line quality but hockey sense among the best in the game. In turn you have a PPG center.
Umm...

Old
12-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Umm...
There isn't that much skill there. The guys my favourite player but what makes him special is hockey sense. Most star players in the game have clearly more skill than Toews.

Same way I view Monahan vs the rest of the top forward in this draft. Monahan's right there because of superior hockey sense and decision making, skill level is not elite.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:36 AM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
There isn't that much skill there. The guys my favourite player but what makes him special is hockey sense. Most star players in the game have clearly more skill than Toews.

Same way I view Monahan vs the rest of the top forward in this draft. Monahan's right there because of superior hockey sense and decision making, skill level is not elite.

Start a poll on the main board and watch your assertion get ripped to shreds. The guy has amazing skill. I can't believe you wrote it.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:41 AM
General Granny*

I think the word MoO is looking for is dynamic offensively, and I agree that Toews is not the most dynamic guy with the puck but his very high hockey sense and IQ allows him to put up points and more, which I why I like to compare Monohan to Toews, they aren't super flashy players but an all around player.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:44 AM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
This begs the question to Sens fans then. Toews or Spezza?

Old
12-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
They should let him go. I don't see how a couple of weeks playing on big ice is going to hurt. Competition level will be extremely high with all the potential NHL'ers available.
Personally I believe Murray is annoyed with what happened with Zib last year in Sweden, so he has decided his people will develop Zib based on what they feel is best.

The competition level means little if it isn't in an environment a player needs to develop under. Zib can play on the big ice surface, what he needs to learn is how to adjust his game without as much time and space.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJsens1 View Post
Start a poll on the main board and watch your assertion get ripped to shreds. The guy has amazing skill. I can't believe you wrote it.
He might be the best Center in the game after Sid - unreal skills, skating, hockey sense, shot, moves, leadership - Toewes is the real deal in all facets of the game, total stud.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Personally I believe Murray is annoyed with what happened with Zib last year in Sweden, so he has decided his people will develop Zib based on what they feel is best.

The competition level means little if it isn't in an environment a player needs to develop under. Zib can play on the big ice surface, what he needs to learn is how to adjust his game without as much time and space.
It's bigget then that, there is paying back the system that developed you, there is the benefit of playing in a high pressure tournament with all eyes on you, playing against the best in your age group and comparing yourself to the players drafted around you, and DEFENDING the first gold you've ever won when Zibby was the guy that scored the goal - sounds to me in his interview he wants to go but is being blocked by the Senators because to me, they are afraid it will hurt his confidence.

Hoe fragile is Zibby if he couldn't thrive on his junior club team, is already being sheltered by the Murray's and his stats in Bingo are pretty bad (+/- especially)

Old
12-04-2012, 11:37 AM
sg58

Ziba wanted to play. Ottawa did not want him to, so he won't. Did anyone really believe that Mika would decide not to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Sick and wisdom teeth removed is what we think we know.
Not sure what the problem here is if what tim murray (who i trust even though i don't know him personally) says is true, that it was zibanejad's decision to stay here.
Personally i think it's better for everyone that he stays. Let some other guys on sweden step up in his place.
Throat infection and removing off wisdom teeth. He's lost 5+ pounds, hasn't been doing anything the past couple of days.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:

You can't tell me that 90% of these goals are not elite skill related.. Something like precision and quickness of a shot is considered skill. Some of these plays he completely undresses defenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e-9y1a8g6M

Old
12-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
http://www.phantomshockey.com/Pages/Team/stats.asp

couturier may be managing points, but his defensive game stinks and it seems that philly's AHL offense is top heavy.
His defensive game stinks?

I'm pretty sure Holmgren had him on the first PK pairings within a month or so because he thought Sean was bad at defense. I watched 20 or so Flyers games last year and Couturier is very very solid defensively, if he becomes a 60 point player than he will be a Kesler, Jordan Staal (At worst) type of player.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:46 AM
General Granny*

Lol at his stats being bad. Just a week ago he was 4th in team scoring. Got injured and now the team is finally putting the puck in the net.

You guys must have had some unreal expectations of a 19 year old playing in his first pro season, the same high expectations you had for Rundblad.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:51 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
It's bigget then that, there is paying back the system that developed you, there is the benefit of playing in a high pressure tournament with all eyes on you, playing against the best in your age group and comparing yourself to the players drafted around you, and DEFENDING the first gold you've ever won when Zibby was the guy that scored the goal - sounds to me in his interview he wants to go but is being blocked by the Senators because to me, they are afraid it will hurt his confidence.

Hoe fragile is Zibby if he couldn't thrive on his junior club team, is already being sheltered by the Murray's and his stats in Bingo are pretty bad (+/- especially)
Plus minus isn't what I would single out personally.. He's only a -3, which isn't the worst on the team (AP is a -7). To me one goal in 16 games is more concerning than +/-. All in all its not like he's played terrible in the last 5 or 6 games. He's had chances. Hit the post a handful of times. So that stat could easily be different if a bounce or two went his way.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post

One question, if Zibby is such a fragile and under performing player, protected by Murray from the big bad world, why is the coach for the Swedish team making so much noise?

FYI Zib was at the tournament last year, scored 4 goals and had 1 assist in six games, including the tourney winner. Seems you missed last year.

The bolded is just sad. you should try watching the kid play.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:07 PM
sauce11

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Lol at his stats being bad. Just a week ago he was 4th in team scoring. Got injured and now the team is finally putting the puck in the net.

You guys must have had some unreal expectations of a 19 year old playing in his first pro season, the same high expectations you had for Rundblad.
the high expectations come from how high mika was drafted, and who he was drafted in front of...

the worry comes from his lack of offensive output in the past 2 seasons... we're just waiting for the flip to be switched. i personally think it will happen in the new year

Old
12-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Ziba wanted to play. Ottawa did not want him to, so he won't. Did anyone really believe that Mika would decide not to go?

Throat infection and removing off wisdom teeth. He's lost 5+ pounds, hasn't been doing anything the past couple of days.
http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...he%20drive.mp3

if you listen (please do) from about 5:40, you'll hear tim murray say that he asked his agent what zibanejad wanted to do ("whatever mika wants to do"). Craig said he wanted to stay, tim agreed it was best.
Did i hear that wrong? someone correct me please because it doesn't seem like anyone interpreted this the same way as me including the guys who conducted the interview.

Tim Murray said that it was Zibanejad's decision. I doubt he would straight up lie about it.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:39 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...he%20drive.mp3

if you listen (please do) from about 5:40, you'll hear tim murray say that he asked his agent what zibanejad wanted to do ("whatever mika wants to do"). Craig said he wanted to stay, tim agreed it was best.
Did i hear that wrong? someone correct me please because it doesn't seem like anyone interpreted this the same way as me including the guys who conducted the interview.

Tim Murray said that it was Zibanejad's decision. I doubt he would straight up lie about it.
Tim said that Oster was in touch with Swedish federation. Tim then said it was Mika's decision. Oster went back after talking to Mika and asked what Ottawa thought. Tim said "in an ideal world, he'd stay". That might sound like it's Mika's decision, but you know it's really not when the organization says something like that, and that's just an outtake of a conversation between Oster and Murray that could've been more specific.

I'll throw in some quotes from the other side, though:

"Ottawa made this decision and I have to respect that"

"Everyone who's available for the WJC wants to play in the tournament."

"There's not too much for me to control. I have a contract with Ottawa and they decide. I have to respect that and hope they make the best decision for my development. They want me here now and I'm focused on spending Christmas and New Year's in Ottawa."

Don't know why if he expects to get some kind of extended Christmas break from the AHL, though.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:48 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

It is in Ottawa's best interests to keep him here though.. When you are transitioning into unfamiliar surroundings, it takes awhile to adjust and become comfortable. If you are exposed to your natural environment while adjusting, the comfort of familiarity can set back the adjustment period. To think MZ will spend a month away from the team playing on international ice. If he stays here that's a month more of transitioning his game onto NA ice.

Although the WJC is always a great tournament to gauge prospects and compare development on an even playing field, do the benefits of the competition outweigh the benefits of playing against top prospects and men in a much more physical and taxing league? The answer I think is no. I think there is just as much pressure and skill in the AHL (right now) than there is in the WJC. The edge goes to the minors because he is playing against pros on a NA size rink.

I am disappointed that I won't get to see Zbad tear it up this Christmas, but I'm not going to disagree with the Sens decision. As an 18 year old he was nearly a point per game and scored 4 goals in 6 games including the biggest goal of the tournament. It would have been nice to see him take on the tournament as a 19 year old. But like I said, I think it is for the best.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I'd laugh if Mika didnt want to go and be away from his dog and gf for a month. Then he asks Ottawa to say they wont release him to keep the backlash off him.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Minister of Offence

I think it's pretty bad that both sides are publicly admitting they aren't really on the same page, whether intentionally or not.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post
You can't tell me that 90% of these goals are not elite skill related.. Something like precision and quickness of a shot is considered skill. Some of these plays he completely undresses defenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e-9y1a8g6M
He scores as much as players that are much more skilled than he is. When your as smart as he is, you have more time with the puck, you get more chances to make things happen with it, and often in better places on the ice.

This is the point I was trying to make. His best asset is his hockey sense and if it was merely average or on par with most other plays, there's a decent chance he'd be a 2nd line center in the league as some thought he might be when he was drafted.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Kenny Bania
Thats gold Jerry!

Quote:
I agree that if he was Canadian he'd probably be going. Not because any NHL teams are out to give Canada an advantage, I just don't think any Canadian team could handle the ridicule in their own country holding a Canadian junior back.
Why do people keep bringing this up? Of course if he was Canadian he'd be going. He's 19 years old. If he was Canadian he'd be in the CHL or NCAA not the AHL.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:17 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Bania View Post
Why do people keep bringing this up? Of course if he was Canadian he'd be going. He's 19 years old. If he was Canadian he'd be in the CHL or NCAA not the AHL.
Let's say it was the exact same situation with a Canadian. Would he be going? Probably. I think that's what people are saying. Like if Dougie Hamilton was playing for Providence right now and struggled a bit.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Blarginator

Quote:
He scores as much as players that are much more skilled than he is. When your as smart as he is, you have more time with the puck, you get more chances to make things happen with it, and often in better places on the ice.

This is the point I was trying to make. His best asset is his hockey sense and if it was merely average or on par with most other plays, there's a decent chance he'd be a 2nd line center in the league as some thought he might be when he was drafted.
I get what you're are trying to say but some of his skills are definitely 1st line material with or without the hockey sense. I agree that his hockey sense is what makes him an elite player (easily one of my favorite center in the NHL) but he still has incredible tools to work with.

I think his game "away" from the puck is the part that benefits the most from his hockey sense. The guy makes so few mistakes it's incredible. He just knows where to be at the right moment. Easily one of the most complete player in the league.

Closed Thread