Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Carons (lack of) production in Providence

Old
12-04-2012, 02:13 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

vCash: 500
Carons (lack of) production in Providence

I have time for JC since he cracked our roster in a Cup year out of camp and has shown plenty of glimpses and has an NHL frame. If he fought he'd be a fan favorite IMO. But his production this season is unacceptable. Lots of prospects similar to him in their age and development are having breakout seasons down in the A and he is doing nothing.

He has 7 points in 19 games and if you remove the game where he had a hat trick thats 4 points in the other 18. 2 assists a quarter of the way through the year really Jordan?

At this point do you give Carl Soderberg a 1 Way deal this summer to get him over since Caron is seriously underperforming? I don't see how Soderberg isn't worth giving a 1 way deal and just trading if he doesn't make the team. Sorry to derail the thread about a forgotten about prospect but him and Caron have similar bodies and would be direct competititon for each other. I'd hate to not give that kid a look because Caron has been told to get an apartment in Boston again. And the best player in Europe isn't going to risk a huge paycut if he gets sent to Providence (he makes way more in Sweden than he would earn at the AHL level.)

I think the best player in maybe the best league in Europe might be worth a look over someone who should be our closest forward prospect yet can only muster 2 assists in 19 games so far this year.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

First off...Soderberg I highly doubt we'll ever see him over here. He makes good money to play in Sweden and frankly has shown no inclinations of ever wanting to leave.

Caron has never wowed me. He's always been a player that I'd look to upgrade over.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:45 AM
ODAAT

Tis well known I`m a big Caron backer, love guys who play 3 zones. In spite of his AHL stats, the coaching he receives, the players he`s lined up with in the NHL enable him to play a simple game and focus on his strengths. I`m not sure Cassidy is the guy in Providence to bring out the best in the talent assembled there.

I think many still have the "he`s a first round pick" mentality, which often skews the expectations. I`ve been guilty of it myself, never thought he was a true first rounder, thought a late second would have been accepted easier around here.

He`s hardly irreplaceable, nor would I move the guy based on what he`s doing or not doing at the AHL level. Claude felt enough confidence in him to give him ice time during key moments against the Caps, pretty heady stuff as CJ doesn`t have a long history of simply handing TOI out without earning it.

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Beesfan

Caron's a nice prospect, but I don't expect huge things from him. His biggest problem is that he is prone to disappearing for long stretches. Perhaps Julien can get more out of him. He definitely has some tools though.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Offer Soderberg a contract!? Gee, why hasn't Chiarelli thought of that?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:52 AM
compan

How the *$%^ does the name Soderberg keep popping up on this board?!

Of all people to replace Caron...

compan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Don't really follow Providence to be honest but what kind of role has he been given there since the start of the season? Does he play a defensive role against the top lines from other teams, pk or any pp time?

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Fair Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
I have time for JC since he cracked our roster in a Cup year out of camp and has shown plenty of glimpses and has an NHL frame. If he fought he'd be a fan favorite IMO. But his production this season is unacceptable. Lots of prospects similar to him in their age and development are having breakout seasons down in the A and he is doing nothing.

He has 7 points in 19 games and if you remove the game where he had a hat trick thats 4 points in the other 18. 2 assists a quarter of the way through the year really Jordan?
Around here I was still paying attention...

Quote:
At this point do you give Carl Soderberg a 1 Way deal this summer
PLOT TWIST.

Fair Warning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Offer Soderberg a contract!? Gee, why hasn't Chiarelli thought of that?
I think Chara ttem was suggesting a 1-way contract as a way to entice Soderberg to come over. I don't think Charielli has offered this yet, to my knowledge.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:24 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Caron is nothing more than a fringe NHL player so far, IMO. He hasn't done much despite being handed multiple chances to secure a spot. It's hard to feel all that good about him, since he seems to play to his competition, instead of dominating against what should be lesser players in the AHL right now.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Don't really follow Providence to be honest but what kind of role has he been given there since the start of the season? Does he play a defensive role against the top lines from other teams, pk or any pp time?
If you play a defensive role in the AHL, you know your hockey career will be coming to an end soon. Only a few more months until he's not qualified and cut loose.

Caballo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
I think Chara ttem was suggesting a 1-way contract as a way to entice Soderberg to come over. I don't think Charielli has offered this yet, to my knowledge.
I don't think anyone knows anything about what Soderberg has or hasn't been offered.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
If you play a defensive role in the AHL, you know your hockey career will be coming to an end soon. Only a few more months until he's not qualified and cut loose.
I just love these posts.

Every time I've seen Caron (several times in person, including twice this year) he's looked solid. He's got a big body and is still learning to use it, but he has hockey sense and is very coachable.

Looking at his draft class, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NHL_Draft his progress is pretty much in line with the rest of the lower half of the first round. Most of those guys either spend a couple of years in the AHL or bump up and down for a while.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:06 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I just love these posts.

Every time I've seen Caron (several times in person, including twice this year) he's looked solid. He's got a big body and is still learning to use it, but he has hockey sense and is very coachable.

Looking at his draft class, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NHL_Draft his progress is pretty much in line with the rest of the lower half of the first round. Most of those guys either spend a couple of years in the AHL or bump up and down for a while.
So he's been solid? Hardly what you want/expect from a guy that for all intents and purposes is slotted into a role with the big club. He should be more than solid playing in a league that he's supposed to be above, skill wise. Sure he's young, but his lack of production in the AHL this year has to be a concern.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Shaun

He better pick it up because sodergod is coming

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:29 AM
patty59

Quote:
I just love these posts.

This is his 3rd year of Pro-hockey, if he's still learning how to use his body he's in trouble.

He was showing some promise at the tail end of last season, but it seems every time he's in the minors he struggles to put up points. It's a little alarming when a first rounder is struggling to put up points in the AHL.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Its the Sobotka syndrome.. he is too good and it hurts his feelings to be playing in the AHL.. he needs his NHL minutes to shine!

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
This is his 3rd year of Pro-hockey, if he's still learning how to use his body he's in trouble.

He was showing some promise at the tail end of last season, but it seems every time he's in the minors he struggles to put up points. It's a little alarming when a first rounder is struggling to put up points in the AHL.
All I can tell you is what I've seen. And from what I've seen, he looks solid. He's not a highlight reel soloist type of player, more the cog-in-the-machine type. A Chris Kelly type rather than a Tyler Seguin.

As ODAAT said, people see "first round" and assume he's a star, and if not, he's a bust. He's neither, IMHO.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Montecristo

To me caron seems to be the type of Player that plays down to his competition level. He has been mediocre in providence, however also looked mediocre in the NHL. His mediocrity at the NHL level should lead to superiority in the AHL, or at least an above average play level. He just can't seem to create offense on his own and relies too heavily on his teammates to set him up while he plays with a malaise. He has been a steady player with limited development thus far. Solid defensively, does a lot of the little things (board work, taking a hit to make a play) however he has not figured out how to use his great shot in game situations.

Several times last year I saw unbelievable wrist shots from him that I doubt most players on the Bs could get off the power and accuracy Caron can when he is given time to get it off. I still think his biggest problem is his inability to create his own time and space to get that shot off and relies on others to supply the time for him.

I think he is a player you can insert in the lineup and you can rely on him to not make costly mistakes, but you cannot rely on him to be an offensive difference maker in the same way Ryder or even pouliot was. The more I see him, the more I think he is destined to be an AHLer because he doesn't bring enough intensity to be an energy line guy and doesn't have enough offensive prowess to be top 9 forward.

I'd give the 3rd line job to spooner, sauve, or bourque in that order before I want Caron in the lineup.

However obviously Id like Soderberg over everyone just so I could witness his mystique with my own eyes. He is my and most everyone else's white whale

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
As ODAAT said, people see "first round" and assume he's a star, and if not, he's a bust. He's neither, IMHO.
I agree with this. The problem is that Caron's yet another defensive wing, and there seems to be some kind of superstition against defensive wings in the NHL. Everyone wants 30 goal guys at all wing positions and some can't understand why any other kind of wing is tolerated.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I agree with this. The problem is that Caron's yet another defensive wing, and there seems to be some kind of superstition against defensive wings in the NHL. Everyone wants 30 goal guys at all wing positions and some can't understand why any other kind of wing is tolerated.
Well when you waste a 1st round pick on that.. yea people are going to be agitated.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:32 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Well when you waste a 1st round pick on that.. yea people are going to be agitated.
I have never seen a fanbase so content on #1 picks turning out to be grinding 3rd line wingers as this one...

Caron projected as a top 6. The year before his draft year THN has him the 10th ranked prospect in the world. He feel because of an injury... He should be doing better...much better.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:33 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
So he's been solid? Hardly what you want/expect from a guy that for all intents and purposes is slotted into a role with the big club. He should be more than solid playing in a league that he's supposed to be above, skill wise. Sure he's young, but his lack of production in the AHL this year has to be a concern.
Yeah, you know when your GM has to clear out the immortal Benny Pouliot so he doesn't road block their expectations are no longer that high...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
He was drafted 25th, not seventh. How many can't-miss NHL snipers did the Bruins pass over to pick him?

Old
12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Shaun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I have never seen a fanbase so content on #1 picks turning out to be grinding 3rd line wingers as this one...

Caron projected as a top 6. The year before his draft year THN has him the 10th ranked prospect in the world. He feel because of an injury... He should be doing better...much better.
As long as he tries hard and has fun. That's all that matters!

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote