Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Carons (lack of) production in Providence

Old
12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

vCash: 500
He should be producing more...but so shouldn't the rest of the Providence team.

Let's see how this season plays out.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I have never seen a fanbase so content on #1 picks turning out to be grinding 3rd line wingers as this one...

Caron projected as a top 6. The year before his draft year THN has him the 10th ranked prospect in the world. He feel because of an injury... He should be doing better...much better.
Hate those grinding third line wingers...

In the past couple of drafts the Bruins have landed a rising star in Seguin and a potential star in Hamilton. And people complain because Caron isn't advancing quickly enough. And people wonder why fans of other teams get annoyed at Bruins fans.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
He was drafted 25th, not seventh. How many can't-miss NHL snipers did the Bruins pass over to pick him?
I'd take a few players from that draft over Caron. Dumoulin, silverberg, Ryan o reilly, Tomas Tatar, And kyle palmeiri. Not a ton of guys the bs passed over but the list does exist

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Hate those grinding third line wingers...

Must have missed where Peverley was picked in the first round....Wouldn't exactly call Peverley a "3rd line grinding winger" either....has top two line hands and wheels...but you could be right....I'm sure the Bruins couldn't wait to draft thier third liner of the future...

Scouts have compared Caron to J.P. Dumont and Patrick Marleau. When asked to which former Bruin Chiarelli would compare the team’s newest addition, the GM stated that Caron had a lot of the same characteristics, like being “heavy on the puck,” as a young Glen Murray.

http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocen...4282&catid=618

Sounds like 3rd line winger was exactly what Chia had in mind...

You or I could have picked Seguin and Hamilton. As far as Caron, why is it so hard to admit he hasn't developed near as much as expected? I would think people get more annoyed at Bruins fans that just fluff the team any chance they can get, even when there is overwhelming evidence things aren't going according to plan.

Last edited by WBC8: 12-04-2012 at 12:11 PM.
WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:12 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
He was drafted 25th, not seventh. How many can't-miss NHL snipers did the Bruins pass over to pick him?
Pointing to other team's questionable drafting does nothing to justify the lack of development from Caron to this point. You can't play that "who should they have taken" card, as you never know how a different player would have developed (or not) on a different team with a different coach. It's like when a team trades a guy and he gets hurt. You didn't dodge a bullet because the guy got hurt because you can't definitively say the same thing would have happened had he not been moved.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Must have missed where Peverley was picked in the first round....Wouldn't exactly call Peverley a "3rd line grinding winger" either....has top two line hands and wheels...but you could be right....I'm sure the Bruins couldn't wait to draft thier third liner of the future...

Scouts have compared Caron to J.P. Dumont and Patrick Marleau. When asked to which former Bruin Chiarelli would compare the team’s newest addition, the GM stated that Caron had a lot of the same characteristics, like being “heavy on the puck,” as a young Glen Murray.

You or I could have picked Seguin and Hamilton. As far as Caron, why is it so hard to admit he hasn't developed near as much as expected?
You mean he hasn't developed as fast as you expected. When he was picked, I figured he'd take a while, and probably bounce back and forth a bit, as guys like Marchand and Krejci did. Players like Lucic, Bergeron and Seguin have spoiled this fanbase. I have the same expectations of guys like Spooner, Knight and Koko - they will (and should) spend significant time in the AHL before they crack the Bruins lineup.

As for first round, second round, seventh round - the only time it matters is during the draft itself. I don't care if a guy was picked 25th overall or found playing roller hockey in front of the GM's house. It's a way of ranking players that has no relevance once they're in the system, expect to complain about them not living up to expectations. It's like graduating from Havard rather than UMass. Great on the resume, but once you're on the job, who cares?

Old
12-04-2012, 12:13 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

You or I could have picked Seguin and Hamilton. As far as Caron, why is it so hard to admit he hasn't developed near as much as expected? I would think people get more annoyed at Bruins fans that just fluff the team any chance they can get, even when there is overwhelming evidence things aren't going according to plan.
I love when people go out of their way to give Chia credit for those picks. I mean come on. Those choices were essentially made for them. As for the remainder of his drafting, that still is pretty questionable, IMO. You take away the can't miss types and it's spotty at best.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:23 PM
WBC8

Quote:
You mean he hasn't developed as fast as you expected. When he was picked, I figured he'd take a while, and probably bounce back and forth a bit, as guys like Marchand and Krejci did. Players like Lucic, Bergeron and Seguin have spoiled this fanbase. I have the same expectations of guys like Spooner, Knight and Koko - they will (and should) spend significant time in the AHL before they crack the Bruins lineup.

As for first round, second round, seventh round - the only time it matters is during the draft itself. I don't care if a guy was picked 25th overall or found playing roller hockey in front of the GM's house. It's a way of ranking players that has no relevance once they're in the system, expect to complain about them not living up to expectations. It's like graduating from Havard rather than UMass. Great on the resume, but once you're on the job, who cares?
Good Lord....Really? Hate to break the news but every team has picks like that...Plus Chiarelli has only picked one of those guys and a chimp could have done that...

Again, I have no problem if you want to keep Caron in the minors...you might want to tell that to Chiarelli though...

“We want to leave some flexibility, space and that’s not cap space or anything, it’s just I call it development space for Caron to kind of blossom and grow a little bit more as a player,” Chiarelli said. “That does this. Now if we add a player down the line the rest of the summer, we still feel had we kept (Pouliot) and added another player, it really would’ve boxed out Caron so that’s reason one.”

“If he can do something that, just from a pure number perspective, if he can get what Ben got I would be happy,” Chiarelli said. “He’s a bigger body. He’s come on towards the end of last year. He’s put some time in the minors. He knows what’s important in his game and what he has to focus on. So you know it’s about the latter stages of development for Jordan and he really knows what we want him to work on and he started doing that. So you see that promise, you see that development, and you know he’s a younger guy and you have to give him a chance.”

Old
12-04-2012, 12:24 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I love when people go out of their way to give Chia credit for those picks. I mean come on. Those choices were essentially made for them. As for the remainder of his drafting, that still is pretty questionable, IMO. You take away the can't miss types and it's spotty at best.
His 07-09 drafts speak for themselves...they are putrid.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:29 PM
patty59

Remember when people were upset that they sent Caron down and didn't return Seguin to Jr instead?

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Good Lord....Really? Hate to break the news but every team has picks like that...Plus Chiarelli has only picked one of those guys and a chimp could have done that...

Again, I have no problem if you want to keep Caron in the minors...you might want to tell that to Chiarelli though...

“We want to leave some flexibility, space and that’s not cap space or anything, it’s just I call it development space for Caron to kind of blossom and grow a little bit more as a player,” Chiarelli said. “That does this. Now if we add a player down the line the rest of the summer, we still feel had we kept (Pouliot) and added another player, it really would’ve boxed out Caron so that’s reason one.”

“If he can do something that, just from a pure number perspective, if he can get what Ben got I would be happy,” Chiarelli said. “He’s a bigger body. He’s come on towards the end of last year. He’s put some time in the minors. He knows what’s important in his game and what he has to focus on. So you know it’s about the latter stages of development for Jordan and he really knows what we want him to work on and he started doing that. So you see that promise, you see that development, and you know he’s a younger guy and you have to give him a chance.”
I cited Bergeron, Lucic and Seguin as spoiling the fanbase because they spent no time in the minors (Bergeron played in the AHL, of course, during the lockout). The vast majority of NHL players spend time in the AHL (or ECHL), and many bounce between the NHL and AHL before sticking permanently with the big club. And that includes first-round draft picks; only a handful of players stick right of out junior.

By some fans' standards, Rich Peverley, (4 years in the ECHL/AHL), Chris Kelly (3 years in the AHL), Johnny Boychuk (5 years in the AHL) and Adam McQuaid (2 1/2 years in the AHL), were all busts, because they didn't make it before the age of 22.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Jeff077

Quote:
His 07-09 drafts speak for themselves...they are putrid.
07-08 ended being really bad, 2009 while it does not have the star value, I still believe Caron will be a good 3rd line player for a long time, MacDermid will play on the 4th line in years to come and I think the dark horse of that draft is Sexton.
While never going to be a top 6 forward he has got over the injury bug and he is a really solid 2 way player and a leadership, character type player.
The drafts from the last 3 years however certainly looks very promising to add a number of top end players at all positions.

Jeff077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:42 PM
patty59

Quote:
I cited Bergeron, Lucic and Seguin as spoiling the fanbase because they spent no time in the minors (Bergeron played in the AHL, of course, during the lockout). The vast majority of NHL players spend time in the AHL (or ECHL), and many bounce between the NHL and AHL before sticking permanently with the big club. And that includes first-round draft picks; only a handful of players stick right of out junior.

By some fans' standards, Rich Peverley, (4 years in the ECHL/AHL), Chris Kelly (3 years in the AHL), Johnny Boychuk (5 years in the AHL) and Adam McQuaid (2 1/2 years in the AHL), were all busts, because they didn't make it before the age of 22.

Not a single one of those guys were first rounders.

Why can't people question his ability when he's only got 7pts in 19 games this year?

Do those look like good numbers to you? Maybe you can understand the skepticism?

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Not a single one of those guys were first rounders.

Why can't people question his ability when he's only got 7pts in 19 games this year?

Do those look like good numbers to you? Maybe you can understand the skepticism?
But...but....but...he showed flashes late last year when they were forced to play him because everyone decent was hurt...

I love how you can't even question a player, even when it's deserved. Right now, Caron is taking a steaming dump in a league he's supposed to be above. There's no other way to say it.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

this topic was apparently so riveting that it needed its own thread, too good for the prospects and or providence bruins thread

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:56 PM
WBC8

Quote:
But...but....but...he showed flashes late last year when they were forced to play him because everyone decent was hurt...

I love how you can't even question a player, even when it's deserved. Right now, Caron is taking a steaming dump in a league he's supposed to be above. There's no other way to say it.
Especially when Chiarelli is on record saying he will be happy if he scores at the same clip Pouliot did...Would anyone put money on Caron going 16-16-32 the next season we play? Going off his Providence numbers you would be nuts to. Hopefully Kelly and Pervs will wear off on him...

Old
12-04-2012, 01:00 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Its the Sobotka syndrome.. he is too good and it hurts his feelings to be playing in the AHL.. he needs his NHL minutes to shine!
fraud

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:10 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Would a Swedish poster be able to comment on if CS is a surefire lock for the Sweden team in Sochii? If no NHLers play I am sure its more guaranteed but even with them I can't imagine him not having a space.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:29 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Would a Swedish poster be able to comment on if CS is a surefire lock for the Sweden team in Sochii? If no NHLers play I am sure its more guaranteed but even with them I can't imagine him not having a space.
Just. Stop. With. This. Soderberg. Nonsense.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

So "questioning a player" and saying he's "taking a steaming dump" is the same thing?

It's the difference between listening to a guy like Goucher analyze players' strengths and shortcomings and hearing Felger scream that someone sux and is a bust.

I'd love to hear that Caron is scoring a goal a game. Sure, it would be great if he was. But to proclaim that he'll be cut loose by the Bruins because he's not lighting up the AHL (as the post I was responding to asserted) is just silly, and a pattern by the OP (who has a decided antipathy for French Canadian players).

Old
12-04-2012, 01:40 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
So "questioning a player" and saying he's "taking a steaming dump" is the same thing?

It's the difference between listening to a guy like Goucher analyze players' strengths and shortcomings and hearing Felger scream that someone sux and is a bust.

I'd love to hear that Caron is scoring a goal a game. Sure, it would be great if he was. But to proclaim that he'll be cut loose by the Bruins because he's not lighting up the AHL (as the post I was responding to asserted) is just silly, and a pattern by the OP (who has a decided antipathy for French Canadian players).
His production in the AHL is pathetic right now. Pretty much the proverbial pile I mentioned. He's supposed to contribute meaningful points on the 3rd line in Boston, yet he can't scrap together a decent stat line down in the AHL, while logging more minutes than he's going to get up here. That's something that everyone in their right mind should question. I'm not calling him a bust yet because he's young, but you have to expect more from these guys at some point. Just saying the mantra "he's young and will be better" doesn't make it so. At some point he needs to play up to the chances he's been given.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
The NHL wrestles with this issue every four years. It's disruptive. But, in the end, the League usually capitulates. I can't see Carl not represnting his country regardless of which league he plays in.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:43 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
He should be producing more...but so shouldn't the rest of the Providence team.

Let's see how this season plays out.
my thoughts exactly

I'm a fan of Tommy Cross but I'm not going pretend like this 2 points in 3 games and plus 4 overall is an indication of how the remainder of the season will be either

Both times I watched Caron play this year he looked like the best forward on the team, so points or no points he didn't underwhelm me. Im not worried about it at all.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
He's proven himself on the NHL level. He was very productive last year and I'd say he was our best player for a 3-5 game stretch... He'll be back when the season starts, either this or next year. He has a great work ethic, he's above average defensively, and his offensive game is pretty good as well. He's basically the definition of an ideal 3rd liner for this team.

Whether or not Chiarelli drafted him with that in mind, I think the games he played in the NHL matter a lot more than those in the AHL...

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
GodTukka*

Not a big deal imo, not like we need him desperately.

He'd be at best as many said a 3rd line option anyway.

GodTukka* is offline   Reply With Quote