HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Chiefs' Jovan Belcher shoots girlfriend, commits suicide in front of Crennel/Pioli

Old
12-03-2012, 08:39 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Rory Fitzpatrick didn't kill anyone.
Not entirely irrelevant for the purpose of playing in an all-star game is also the fact that Fitzpatrick happens to be alive unlike Belcher.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Breaking ... according to a report on si.com ... he was out the night before with another woman

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
Breaking ... according to a report on si.com ... he was out the night before with another woman
Also besides cheating on his GF (While constantly accussing her of cheating according to friends)

Police report and KC Star confirm previous domestic violence incidents

Quote:
Randy Covitz ‏@randycovitz

Ex-#Chiefs LB Jovan Belcher was involved in at least two incidents with women at U of Maine ... four police reports filed.
Also before killing his GF his mother heard him screaming at her "You cant talk to me like that" then the shots occured

He was just a POS who had no respect for women ,, Anyone looking for further meaning is looking too deep

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:35 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

I also really hate another thing the police said to KC Star

Her relatives learned of her death from the news, police said.

That is just an absolutely brutal way to find out your loved one has been taken from you

Old
12-04-2012, 12:10 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
We won't ever really know the story regarding Belcher. His teammates have spoken well of him and he was a positive role model up until yesterday for young kids.
And several people have said he was jealous and controlling with her along with being a hot head so who knows. Maybe a guy who was nice, friendly in public but a total ass in private. Again who knows.
Quote:
Did the NHL not support Craig MacTavish after he murdered a young woman? Does no one remember fondly of his playing career? When he dies, will he be remembered fondly? Why is Myles Belle getting so much sympathy after killing someone?
MacTavish killed a woman accidently by hitting her with his car. Yes, he was drunk so he definitely needed to be held accountable but if you can't see the difference between this and pumping nine bullets into your spouse during an argument than I don't know what to say. MacTavish has also spent the rest of his life rectifying that horrible mistake he made rather then killing himself in front of people who cared about him. I have no problem with people remembering Belcher as a good player but preaching about him being a good person is too much.

As for him having mental illness, I'm sure he had some issues but his actions weren't the actions of a man who has completely lost his mind. More likes the actions of a dirtbag who couldn't control his psychotic impulses and then took his own life instead of facing the consequences.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:29 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
And several people have said he was jealous and controlling with her along with being a hot head so who knows. Maybe a guy who was nice, friendly in public but a total ass in private. Again who knows..
Human interaction is a complex field. It's quite possible that he was both a nice guy who his teammates liked and whose presence they enjoyed and a man with temper/jealousy issues with regards to women. People don't always fit into neat templates.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...12-04-10-34-29

Quote:
Kansas City Chiefs officials knew that linebacker Jovan Belcher and his girlfriend were having relationship problems, and the team provided the couple with counseling in an effort to help, a police official said.

----

When Belcher arrived at Arrowhead on Saturday, he encountered Pioli in the parking lot and told him the assistance the team had offered hadn't fixed the couple's problems and now "it was too late," police told The Star.

Pioli tried to persuade Belcher to put down his gun as Crennel and linebackers coach Gary Gibbs arrived at the scene.

Belcher thanked the men for everything the team had done for him and asked if Pioli and team owner Clark Hunt would take care of his daughter, The Star reported.

After that, Belcher reportedly said, "Guys, I have to do this."

"I was trying to get him to understand that life is not over," Crennel said Monday. "He still has a chance and let's get this worked out."

When Belcher heard police sirens approaching, he knelt behind a vehicle and shot himself in the head.
More at the link.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:45 PM
irunthepeg
#whiteout

vCash: 50
Not the biggest NFL fan but I've literally been thinking about this all day. I know the people hit most by this is the girlfriend's family and his family, ultimately the one who suffers most is that baby girl but I can't help but picture what it was like for the coach and GM... That plea of desperation to try and salvage what already became a worst-case scenario...

Really saddening. Prayers for the families of both sides and to the Chiefs organization.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...otball-players

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:51 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
I'd like to see a study comparing the brain damage prevalence among former NFL/NHL players and compare it to other professions and then do an economic risk-benefit analysis of pro sports vs. regular jobs based on the jobs an average prospective athlete is most likely to take based on their educational achievement and demographic background.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:12 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...her-s-daughter

Quote:
The NFL will provide benefits for the daughter of Jovan Belcher. Belcher is the former Kansas Chiefs linebacker who was involved in a murder-suicide.
Benefits info starts around 1:00. Sounds like she'll be financially taken care of throughout childhood.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:08 AM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Rory Fitzpatrick didn't kill anyone.
Doesn't make it any less stupid...or hypocritical

=
Anyhow, this guy had some serious anger issues going back to college at the very least. The effect of playing football didn't cause this to happen..

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:38 AM
jw2

I don't understand how people 'justify' this saying he had head injuries/mental illness/drug abuse/alcohol problems.

How does that change anything? Since when does having person issues make it OK to kill someone and orphan your child?

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:59 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I don't understand how people 'justify' this saying he had head injuries/mental illness/drug abuse/alcohol problems.

How does that change anything? Since when does having person issues make it OK to kill someone and orphan your child?
No one is trying to justify it. Saying CTE causes brain damage which causes irrational behavior is not justifying it. He's still a villain and would be facing stiff, deserved punishment had he not taken his life. But to ignore that it may be a cause would be foolish. It's not a matter of justifying anything, but trying to look out for future players who may eventually suffer from CTE.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:20 AM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
No one is trying to justify it. Saying CTE causes brain damage which causes irrational behavior is not justifying it. He's still a villain and would be facing stiff, deserved punishment had he not taken his life. But to ignore that it may be a cause would be foolish. It's not a matter of justifying anything, but trying to look out for future players who may eventually suffer from CTE.
No more than his alcoholism, partying, jealously, anger, drug abuse, etc.

I think labeling it as a 'cause' is better than saying it was the reason he did it.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Big Phil

Sorry, it is impossible to talk well of the guy after what he did. Honestly, do we talk well of Ray Carruth? Should we? No.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:00 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Who's talking well of the guy? I swear some of you are making things up.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:50 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Exactly, the only "talking well" of the guy were the select few (myself included) who said, "hold on here, let's wait until the details become public before we make conclusions".

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
I never said anyone was. I just said in my own personal opinion that it is impossible to talk well of the guy after knowing what he did. I was contemplating trying to find a kind way to say it but could not.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:33 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Apparently Belcher was questioning the mother if he was the real father or not, according to his mother at least...

Also looks like the NFL is going to do a great job in setting up a life, well at least financially, for the little girl going forward. I know it's just money, and anyone would rather have their parents... but at least it's something.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...0469--nfl.html

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...6670--nfl.html

Belcher sent another women a text saying "He would shoot his GF if she didn't leave him alone" months before he killed her

Also Belcher was very angry and upset at his GF's spending habits in weeks before the shooting

Old
12-18-2012, 10:05 PM
snowden
Man is matter

vCash: 1742
Sounds like the girl trapped him in a relationship for her own benefit

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote