HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Leland Irving, why doesn't he play with the Heat ??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2012, 02:40 AM
  #1
zrep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Leland Irving, why doesn't he play with the Heat ??

Is there an explanation ?

thanks

zrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:59 AM
  #2
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,113
vCash: 50
Because Taylor and Brust are the two of the top three goalies in the AHL right now.

We've got plenty of goalies in our system right now. Yeah, having Irving walk at FA would be a shame, but he's had the time to develop, and he's currently being outplayed DRASTICALLY by the other two goalies with the Heat.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:32 AM
  #3
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,759
vCash: 1440
Because he'd be subject to waivers if hockey ever starts this year. If the season is officially cancelled, he'll see more games, since he'll be UFA at the end of this season.

He's signed to a professional tryout, which means he can't appear in more than a specific number of games. It does mean that he can continue to practice with the team indefinitely.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:11 PM
  #4
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,455
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Because he'd be subject to waivers if hockey ever starts this year. If the season is officially cancelled, he'll see more games, since he'll be UFA at the end of this season.

He's signed to a professional tryout, which means he can't appear in more than a specific number of games. It does mean that he can continue to practice with the team indefinitely.
This is the correct answer. Combined with the prior answer that both Taylor and Brust have been stellar in the early going's this year.

This idea that Irving is being outplayed just is not true. They are just playing the hot hand right now, if the other two start to falter you will see Irving get more games. He has been good in the ones he has played thus far.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:50 PM
  #5
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
This is the correct answer. Combined with the prior answer that both Taylor and Brust have been stellar in the early going's this year.

This idea that Irving is being outplayed just is not true. They are just playing the hot hand right now, if the other two start to falter you will see Irving get more games. He has been good in the ones he has played thus far.
Why do some fans need to defend/make excuses for him? Not 1 person can honestly say they are happy with his progress this year. Taylor is faltering lately, and I'm sure Irving is getting another start soon - what's he going to do with it?

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:28 PM
  #6
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,455
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Why do some fans need to defend/make excuses for him? Not 1 person can honestly say they are happy with his progress this year. Taylor is faltering lately, and I'm sure Irving is getting another start soon - what's he going to do with it?
Have you watched the AHL games, I mean honestly have you? Brust has been the hot hand so far this season, they won't play anyone else until he starts to suck. Which games has Irving played poorly in then?

Why do some fans need to spout off when they haven't even watched the games?

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:19 PM
  #7
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Why do some fans need to defend/make excuses for him? Not 1 person can honestly say they are happy with his progress this year. Taylor is faltering lately, and I'm sure Irving is getting another start soon - what's he going to do with it?
Did you watch his last start where 2 goals were 3-1 ones and one was Kadri rapping around unchecked and snipping a shot top corner. The team played like **** and he ended up with bad numbers but he was easily the best Heat on the ice. He has looked as good as he did before his injury last season stop using a small game sample size to judge him and watch him play he looks just as good as he did in the nhl last year.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
  #8
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,759
vCash: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Why do some fans need to defend/make excuses for him? Not 1 person can honestly say they are happy with his progress this year. Taylor is faltering lately, and I'm sure Irving is getting another start soon - what's he going to do with it?
I can honestly say that I am happy with his progress. However, I only think Irving won't be more than a #1B goalie in his career. I would have been happier if he played a season in Europe, I suppose.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:04 PM
  #9
kirant
Kiprusoffarian
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 272
vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Not 1 person can honestly say they are happy with his progress this year.
I'll just jump on the fact that you used an absolute there.

I'm fairly happy with Irving. To be honest, I'd put him above Taylor and Brust as goalies I'd like to see on the Flames after this year. Waivers seem to be the biggest issue.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:37 PM
  #10
Rolen
sick
 
Rolen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 759
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Why do some fans need to defend/make excuses for him? Not 1 person can honestly say they are happy with his progress this year. Taylor is faltering lately, and I'm sure Irving is getting another start soon - what's he going to do with it?
And I'm sure you haven't watched 1 game of his with Abby this year. I for one have watched nearly every Abby game and can tell you that in some games he has absolutely stood on his head. I can't remember which game but I remember him absolutely robbing a player with a Kiprusoffian like save.

The only worries for me about him is the early goal he usually gives up because of him being a little nervous. Which is something that can easily be fixed with some consistent starts. Ignorance is the only thing that can blind people of his potential.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:10 AM
  #11
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Have you watched the AHL games, I mean honestly have you? Brust has been the hot hand so far this season, they won't play anyone else until he starts to suck. Which games has Irving played poorly in then?

Why do some fans need to spout off when they haven't even watched the games?
Like most on here I have caught a few (about a half dozen actually), 1 for sure where he was in net. The majority of the games have been played by Taylor, and not Brust, so there goes your theory. And Taylor has not been the hot hand lately.

Fact is that Irving has been out played by 2 AHL vets so far this year. Sure they have posted some great numbers, but it still does not take away from the fact he is third fiddle.

Look I'm a die hard fan of our team, and I've been cheering for them longer than many of you combined. I've seen many prospects come & go, be highly hyped and fizzle out. If he was as good as many of you claim (many were saying he was one of the best goalie prospects in the league!), you'd think he'd be having a better year, and wouldn't be third fiddle on ANY team.

Some fans like to have blind optimism, and keep the hype machine going, others are more realistic. I've never bad mouthed the kid, and I've said before I hope he proves me wrong. I just find it funny that if anyone does not worship one of our prospects everyone comes out with the classic quotes like "do you even watch the games?"

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:44 AM
  #12
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy
 
Janko Unchained's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 2,003
vCash: 240
Aren't you the same guy that said that Iginla is overrated or something along those lines?

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:12 AM
  #13
kirant
Kiprusoffarian
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 272
vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Like most on here I have caught a few (about a half dozen actually), 1 for sure where he was in net.
1 or 2 games are hardly legitimate sample size. In statistics, the general concept of approaching a mean with samples is 25. Of course, we don't have the luxury of getting that many games. Let's say though that Irving played only 1 game and it was an off night for him, but the others played in some normal games, does that make Irving bad?

If let's say Irving was able to play every game (I'm not 100% sure on his contract status, see below), could make it up to the Flames again without waiver issue, but was benched in favour of Brust/Taylor, then there may be issues. At the moment though, I think there's significant legitimacy to that opposing line of though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Fact is that Irving has been out played by 2 AHL vets so far this year. Sure they have posted some great numbers, but it still does not take away from the fact he is third fiddle.
The first post you quoted by InfiniteIggy cites a contract issue which your posts do not address (and failed to address in this post) and still stands as a possibility against your argument. If Irving's contract is still on a certain games limitation, then they could be playing him out of contractual problems, not because he's being outplayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
I just find it funny that if anyone does not worship one of our prospects everyone comes out with the classic quotes like "do you even watch the games?"
Whole different topic then. In that case, this becomes merely a venting of that frustration.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:28 AM
  #14
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brostopolous View Post
Aren't you the same guy that said that Iginla is overrated or something along those lines?
nope, nothing along those lines.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:47 AM
  #15
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
1 or 2 games are hardly legitimate sample size. In statistics, the general concept of approaching a mean with samples is 25. Of course, we don't have the luxury of getting that many games. Let's say though that Irving played only 1 game and it was an off night for him, but the others played in some normal games, does that make Irving bad?

If let's say Irving was able to play every game (I'm not 100% sure on his contract status, see below), could make it up to the Flames again without waiver issue, but was benched in favour of Brust/Taylor, then there may be issues. At the moment though, I think there's significant legitimacy to that opposing line of though.


The first post you quoted by InfiniteIggy cites a contract issue which your posts do not address (and failed to address in this post) and still stands as a possibility against your argument. If Irving's contract is still on a certain games limitation, then they could be playing him out of contractual problems, not because he's being outplayed.


Whole different topic then. In that case, this becomes merely a venting of that frustration.
Kirant, we have what we have. Yes, the # of games are small, but if we go back to last year it has to be concerning the amount of game action he has been able to get into. You want your stud goalie to get alot of games, not a couple a month. AS for the question in you first paragragh, yes that would make him look bad. But hopefully he'd be able to show that was just a blip, and have a good game soon after.

AS far as the contract issues: what's worse, him not playing so he can't get claimed when there is no hockey, or him not playing? I for one do not like how we are managing this asset.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:08 PM
  #16
kirant
Kiprusoffarian
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 272
vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Kirant, we have what we have. Yes, the # of games are small, but if we go back to last year it has to be concerning the amount of game action he has been able to get into. You want your stud goalie to get alot of games, not a couple a month.
Ideally, yes as long as the team he's on is aiding his development. At the same time, a coaches' job is to win games, so he'll try to win them instead of doing what may be best for an organization. Some teams (see: Sabres) basically make it a young man's team over attempting to win, sacrificing competitiveness in the process in order to ensure young players are getting ample play time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
AS far as the contract issues: what's worse, him not playing so he can't get claimed when there is no hockey, or him not playing? I for one do not like how we are managing this asset.
It's an interesting question, no doubt. On that topic, I'd say that him not playing because of contract issues is a better situation to own than him not playing because he's not good enough.

But the point I was trying to make was different...that he could be benched because of this contract issue as opposed to being outplayed. This is a different explanation than you provided and one which punches a hole into the idea that he's benched because he's being beaten out by 2 AHL veterans, the notion people take exception to (some because, as you point out, they do have rose coloured glasses on, but some too because this is a, at least in my mind, legitimate reason).

With this in mind, you'd say that him not playing is a calculated gamble by the GMs and coaches so that he can be the backup if the season should resume.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:20 PM
  #17
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Ideally, yes as long as the team he's on is aiding his development. At the same time, a coaches' job is to win games, so he'll try to win them instead of doing what may be best for an organization. Some teams (see: Sabres) basically make it a young man's team over attempting to win, sacrificing competitiveness in the process in order to ensure young players are getting ample play time.


It's an interesting question, no doubt. On that topic, I'd say that him not playing because of contract issues is a better situation to own than him not playing because he's not good enough.

But the point I was trying to make was different...that he could be benched because of this contract issue as opposed to being outplayed. This is a different explanation than you provided and one which punches a hole into the idea that he's benched because he's being beaten out by 2 AHL veterans, the notion people take exception to (some because, as you point out, they do have rose coloured glasses on, but some too because this is a, at least in my mind, legitimate reason).

With this in mind, you'd say that him not playing is a calculated gamble by the GMs and coaches so that he can be the backup if the season should resume.

Someone pointed out awhile ago that the PTO contract was for 25 games, with an option to sign for another 25. If that is infact the case, then there should be no worrying about saving games for him. The Heat are now 20 games into the season. If it is only for 25 games, why didn't they have him play in Europe? Why sign Brust at the same time (yes, I know he was Ward's goalie.....) when Irving & Taylor would have been a good 1-2 punch?

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:21 PM
  #18
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Kirant, we have what we have. Yes, the # of games are small, but if we go back to last year it has to be concerning the amount of game action he has been able to get into. You want your stud goalie to get alot of games, not a couple a month. AS for the question in you first paragragh, yes that would make him look bad. But hopefully he'd be able to show that was just a blip, and have a good game soon after.

AS far as the contract issues: what's worse, him not playing so he can't get claimed when there is no hockey, or him not playing? I for one do not like how we are managing this asset.
You are completing ignoring the fact that he was hurt after his first call up to the nhl and his numbers suffered, before his call up he had .922 Sv% and 1.95 GAA. So your argument is completely invalid as he was one of the top goalies in the AHL before his callup and his injury but I guess he must suck because he has a 1 bad game in the 4 he has played this year.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:27 PM
  #19
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Someone pointed out awhile ago that the PTO contract was for 25 games, with an option to sign for another 25. If that is infact the case, then there should be no worrying about saving games for him. The Heat are now 20 games into the season. If it is only for 25 games, why didn't they have him play in Europe? Why sign Brust at the same time (yes, I know he was Ward's goalie.....) when Irving & Taylor would have been a good 1-2 punch?
Brust was signed well before the lockout when the flames thought there could be a season, so they should enter the season with potentially no goalie. Again the Flames most likely thought there would be a season so Irving stayed here to stay in shape now I doubt there is anyone looking for more than a backup for a guy that has only played 7 nhl games.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:48 PM
  #20
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
You are completing ignoring the fact that he was hurt after his first call up to the nhl and his numbers suffered, before his call up he had .922 Sv% and 1.95 GAA. So your argument is completely invalid as he was one of the top goalies in the AHL before his callup and his injury but I guess he must suck because he has a 1 bad game in the 4 he has played this year.
yes, you keep bringimg up this injury. What exactly was the injury? It didn't stop him from travling back & forth across the country while being called up and sent back down. He rarely saw action, in either league. And I already know what you are going to bring up next, so please don't say anything about having a baby. It's part of the sport, and all players go through it.

Again, I never once said he sucks. I agree he was a top AHL goalie, and looked very promising. All I am saying is that some of that shine has worn off over the past year due to a host of reasons.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:51 PM
  #21
kirant
Kiprusoffarian
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 272
vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Someone pointed out awhile ago that the PTO contract was for 25 games, with an option to sign for another 25. If that is infact the case, then there should be no worrying about saving games for him.
I'm not comfortable speaking to the details of the tryout. Is that truly the # of games signed for? It seems a bit high for a PTO. If that indeed the # though, then that within itself isn't a concern.

But I'm not familiar enough with the details. How does this interact with reentry waivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
If it is only for 25 games, why didn't they have him play in Europe? Why sign Brust at the same time (yes, I know he was Ward's goalie.....) when Irving & Taylor would have been a good 1-2 punch?
As mentioned by TheGleninator, it's because Brust was signed beforehand.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:00 PM
  #22
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 50
What ever the PTO is, if I were a betting man (which I am), I'd bet that he'd be starting again today or Wed.
Looking at the games he played/backed up he has already been dressed 10 times this season:
-Back up game 4 & 5, starter game 6
-Back up game 8, starter game 9
-Back up games 12 & 13, starts games 14 & 15
-Back up game 20

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:12 PM
  #23
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,455
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Like most on here I have caught a few (about a half dozen actually), 1 for sure where he was in net. The majority of the games have been played by Taylor, and not Brust, so there goes your theory. And Taylor has not been the hot hand lately.

Fact is that Irving has been out played by 2 AHL vets so far this year. Sure they have posted some great numbers, but it still does not take away from the fact he is third fiddle.

Look I'm a die hard fan of our team, and I've been cheering for them longer than many of you combined. I've seen many prospects come & go, be highly hyped and fizzle out. If he was as good as many of you claim (many were saying he was one of the best goalie prospects in the league!), you'd think he'd be having a better year, and wouldn't be third fiddle on ANY team.

Some fans like to have blind optimism, and keep the hype machine going, others are more realistic. I've never bad mouthed the kid, and I've said before I hope he proves me wrong. I just find it funny that if anyone does not worship one of our prospects everyone comes out with the classic quotes like "do you even watch the games?"
So as I said, which games did he play poorly in then?

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:27 PM
  #24
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,602
vCash: 50
As said before, Irving will get more starts near the end of the year, since he'll be a UFA. Though, I won't be surprised if he walks.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:49 PM
  #25
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
yes, you keep bringimg up this injury. What exactly was the injury? It didn't stop him from travling back & forth across the country while being called up and sent back down. He rarely saw action, in either league. And I already know what you are going to bring up next, so please don't say anything about having a baby. It's part of the sport, and all players go through it.

Again, I never once said he sucks. I agree he was a top AHL goalie, and looked very promising. All I am saying is that some of that shine has worn off over the past year due to a host of reasons.
I believe he had a pulled grown that got worse with more starts but given a game once ever few weeks for the Flames it didn't bother him until he was returned the Heat and was expected to play more frequently and aggravated it which lead to Taylor being given the starting role. I never once brought up his kid that is part of the business but look at his starts this year other than the last game when he was left out to dry by his team he has a SV% of .928 and a GAA of 2.33, I simply don't see how those are poor numbers. Why is he not getting as many starts as Taylor, because Taylor was simply on fire last year and to start this year, and while he has had 2 bad games Ward is a big believer in trusting your goalies and so he is willing to bet that Taylor will bounce back. Not to mention while Taylor was playing the same way as last year Brust broke a 55 year old record for longest shut out if you don't think it is hard to get playing time between those two you are sorrily mistaken.

You said and I quote "Why do some fans need to defend/make excuses for him? Not 1 person can honestly say they are happy with his progress this year. Taylor is faltering lately, and I'm sure Irving is getting another start soon - what's he going to do with it? "

Other than his last game this part isn't even true, you ask why do we need to defend him, well we wouldn't if you didn't make up facts about how he is playing.

Irving has played great when he has played and that is all he can control, he doesn't choose playing time if your so worried about email Troy Ward its his call not Irving's.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.