HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Lockout II - Moderated: Talk about your plenty, Talk about your ills...

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Iggy77

vCash: 500
Cox has a point, Fehr hasn't helped relations at all. The NHLPA has seen the audits I don't recall any statements from them that they are false and tha the owners are hiding money. They probably are to some extent.

Interesting point about how the PA and their shills like Brooks are suddenly wanting Dolan involved:

Quote:
The champion of the players has become New York Rangers boss Jim Dolan, and not because Dolan is seen to be a sharp hockey man. History tells us Dolan and Bettman don’t get along, so to the players, that means Dolan must be the only sensible member of the NHL lodge, and therefore the only owner likely to see reason.

Hey, if Dolan could be included in the talks and the talks led to a resolution, it might even be an impetus to get rid of Bettman.
The NHLPA crying about how much they gave back in the last round of negotiations (only to consider how well they did the last few years and they were willing to keep playing under the same system they wasted a season fighting) makes me hard to take them seriously sometimes.

Last edited by Iggy77: 12-04-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old
12-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Tavaresfan91

Anyone think there will be traction today? They gotta do something in next 2 weeks IMO or season is toast

Old
12-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
I don't know what to make of this. Smells like poppycock but he isn't a back woods sports reporter, which makes me wonder why him and the station would go public with the news unless there was some semblance of credibility behind it. Sure you boost your page views and whatnot for a day or two, but you would lose more readers / viewers when it was proved definitively false.

It's like one of those apocalypse prognosticators; the followers go by the wayside when the date comes and nothing happens.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Anyone think there will be traction today? They gotta do something in next 2 weeks IMO or season is toast
A lot is being made of the Burkle / Crosby connection being the key to progress, but I have to believe Burkle is going to have a pretty short leash on candor / flexibility from Bettman; said leash will likely be enforced by Jacobs during the meeting and is probably a big reason for his presence.

I expect nothing material comes from this. Perhaps the BOG meeting tomorrow may shake things up. There's a report saying the NHL is willing to meet again tomorrow to discuss despite the BOG meeting.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:07 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post

Seems more like a pro owner piece, although Cox is usually level headed. Interesting take.
In what world is Damien cox level headed ? It literally amazes me that he's been able to keep his job as long as he has.

I dont think I've ever read a single thing from Cox that I agreed with that wasnt patently obvious. And its great for him to advocate that STH in walk away from their seats knowing full well it wont affect him.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:09 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
doubtful. I don't even understand what they're going to say at this meeting which hasn't been said a hundred times over. unless both sides are going to go to the meeting to discuss the extent to which they'll move from their current settlement position it's going to be a waste of time.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:16 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

So is Damien saying the players should be more trusting of Bettman? Cuz I gotta say Gary hasn't given me any reason to trust him - and that's going back before Fehr came onto the scene.

This is not just about what's right, or necessary, this is about the league using the leverage they have to take as much as they can from the players. Like Snider said, Gary promised them a big win. The players are just not bending over like he hoped.

And Damien speaks of a give-back negotiation like it's just a given. Well the league made a collective profit as well as franchise values increasing. Not saying a give-back is bad, just that I personally don't feel it should just be a given.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Ari91

Quote:
Hard to imagine what will be discussed in this meeting that will make any difference. It's not a negotiation so the best case scenario is that the league drops some obvious hints to the PA as to what they're willing to move on or give up in order to get things moving.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
doubtful. I don't even understand what they're going to say at this meeting which hasn't been said a hundred times over. unless both sides are going to go to the meeting to discuss the extent to which they'll move from their current settlement position it's going to be a waste of time.
I think the idea is so present the message from more moderate owners that would like to be playing now. Let the players know WHY they need changes and how it benefits the game as whole. The players cant seem to grasp that when it comes only from Bettman and Jacobs.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Great article by Michael Grange:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...t_the_message/

I think it's time to take the deal and play some hockey; completely agree with most of his points of a much worse scenario being possible for the players.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:55 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...medium=twitter

Ebner: league/union have many hurdles to clear in search for a deal

Edit:
Proteautype 7:47am via TweetDeck
Part of me hopes all NHL players at the meeting with owners are wearing Guy Fawkes masks. #DIsForDecertification

Last edited by LadyStanley: 12-04-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old
12-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
Daly denied the rumours of an imminent deal. His denial was absolute. I don't think he'd lie about that, instead of simply denying having any information.
If there WERE a deal imminent, there is no way that either side would let the other know that they are happy today. There would be no leverage for last minute negotiations. Neither side will announce anything until it's a done deal.

IMO.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by middletoe View Post
So is Damien saying the players should be more trusting of Bettman? Cuz I gotta say Gary hasn't given me any reason to trust him - and that's going back before Fehr came onto the scene.

This is not just about what's right, or necessary, this is about the league using the leverage they have to take as much as they can from the players. Like Snider said, Gary promised them a big win. The players are just not bending over like he hoped.

And Damien speaks of a give-back negotiation like it's just a given. Well the league made a collective profit as well as franchise values increasing. Not saying a give-back is bad, just that I personally don't feel it should just be a given.
I don't think that he's saying that the PA should be more trusting of Bettman. I think he's saying that the issue between the league and the union is mistrust. That is what is taking precedence and binding the PA together and he's saying that it was all reinforced by Fehr from the get go. I took his article as a knock on Fehr and the PA's ability to hire union leaders who are ultimately looking out for their best interests now and in the future. I think he feels that their best interest lies in bridging the gap of mistrust by building relationships between the league and PA, something he feels that Fehr has been part of the problem and not part of the solution.

Content aside, I didn't enjoy the way he put that article together.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:40 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Yeah, can't see them announcing a deal today or tomorrow, don't know where this Burton guy is getting his news from but he needs to re-check his sources.

12-04-2012, 10:43 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Seeing just about every SBN team-specific blog posting a "letter to owner" post today.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:55 AM
pigpen65

At this point, why not just extend the current CBA one more year so they can salvage this season, and work on the next CBA in the meantime?

Old
12-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
At this point, why not just extend the current CBA one more year so they can salvage this season, and work on the next CBA in the meantime?
Because the players will strike before the playoffs, and the owners aren't happy giving the players 57%.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:24 AM
sharks fan 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
Didn't the players suggest this at the beginning of this whole mess? We will soon later see tweets about how the meeting was a disappointment and no traction was gained.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Tinalera

I hope I'm very wrong, but I expect player tweets of the "wow, the owners really out to lunch if they think we're going to give up that much money/contract"

The owners through Daly will say something like "The players have shown they have no clue how business actually works"

Hope I'm wrong on both counts, but I don't hold much hope for the meeting.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:13 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
The owners through Daly will say something like "The players have shown they have no clue how business actually works"
No, no, no - you forgot to use the word "disappointed". You can't have a Daly quote without it.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
No, no, no - you forgot to use the word "disappointed". You can't have a Daly quote without it.

How could I FORGET! I will be "disappointed" if I don't hear "disappointed" from Daly in the post meeting presser

Old
12-04-2012, 12:25 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff will be part of the 18-player roster at Tuesday’s meeting with six owners in New York to try and break the NHL labour dispute which is in its third month with games cancelled through Dec. 14.

So, it’s three to one, players to owners, which either shows the interest of the players or they couldn’t decide on which six would square off with the six NHL owners

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...g-in-new-york/

Old
12-04-2012, 12:26 PM
benusmc

Listening to 97.1 The Ticket (a local sports radio show in Detroit). One of the guys said he does have a friend who is kind of in the know, he wasn't claiming to be an expert or anything of the nature. Either way he was texting him on him the show "should we be happy Bettman and Fehr won't be in the meetings?" so later in the show he said he received a text back "Not really, I heard a rumor the owners were planning this from the beginning, wanting to save money by playing only a part of a season"

Just saying what I heard

Old
12-04-2012, 12:33 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by benusmc View Post
Listening to 97.1 The Ticket (a local sports radio show in Detroit). One of the guys said he does have a friend who is kind of in the know, he wasn't claiming to be an expert or anything of the nature. Either way he was texting him on him the show "should we be happy Bettman and Fehr won't be in the meetings?" so later in the show he said he received a text back "Not really, I heard a rumor the owners were planning this from the beginning, wanting to save money by playing only a part of a season"

Just saying what I heard
Karsch and Anderson? Was only able to listen for ~30 mintues around noon.

If there is any truth to this I sincerely hope fans consider not attending at least a portion of home games.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:53 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Nope.

Closed Thread