HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago Sports/General Sports Thread - Cubs Sign Jackson, Villanueva

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 10:12 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Just saw Granderson is available via trade, and has 1 year and 15M left.

Not saying I want him, but hypothetically... if you wanted to put together a team that could compete this year, on older guys with 2-3 year contracts, you could definitely do it.

Darwin
Granderson
Soriano
Rizzo
Starlin

That would be a solid lineup at the least. You would just need to bring in a quality #2 guy, like say bring Dempster back... you'd have a contender.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:46 AM
RayP

Fergie Jenkins on the Hot Stove on the MLBN... looks pretty damn good for a 69 year old man.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:48 AM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Just saw Granderson is available via trade, and has 1 year and 15M left.

Not saying I want him, but hypothetically... if you wanted to put together a team that could compete this year, on older guys with 2-3 year contracts, you could definitely do it.

Darwin
Granderson
Soriano
Rizzo
Starlin

That would be a solid lineup at the least. You would just need to bring in a quality #2 guy, like say bring Dempster back... you'd have a contender.
Darwin leading off?

Castro could probably do it again if need be.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:50 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Darwin leading off?
Eh, just threw him up there for the hell of it... I guess Granderson should be the leadoff guy, hypothetically, but I'm not a big fan of 150+ Ks out of the leadoff spot. Hell, last year he struck out at an Adam Dunn like pace... 195 times. When I posted that, really had Darwin in mind as the #2 guy, and not sure exactly who would leadoff. DeJesus maybe?

I want Castro to earn it, and hit his way out of the 5-6 spot, and not gift wrap him anything. Needs to produce better this year at the plate, much better.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:51 AM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Apparently the Cubs are chasing Yunel Escobar to play 3rd. I could mess with that for a half season. If he's competent there and hits, he'll be reasonably valuable at the TDL.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:53 AM
RayP

Quote:
Apparently the Cubs are chasing Yunel Escobar to play 3rd. I could mess with that for a half season. If he's competent there and hits, he'll be reasonably valuable at the TDL.
No way. Keep him the **** away from the Cubs. This guy has the most rotted personality and attitude you can ever imagine. When he was with the Braves, he refused to even try to learn any English and made everyone speak to him in Spanish because he is such a dick. He isn't that good that I will put up with an attitude like that. Pretty sure every team that has traded him, has performed better after doing so.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:53 AM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:
Eh, just threw him up there for the hell of it... I guess Granderson should be the leadoff guy, hypothetically, but I'm not a big fan of 150+ Ks out of the leadoff spot. Hell, last year he struck out at an Adam Dunn like pace... 195 times. When I posted that, really had Darwin in mind as the #2 guy, and not sure exactly who would leadoff. DeJesus maybe?

I want Castro to earn it, and hit his way out of the 5-6 spot, and not gift wrap him anything. Needs to produce better this year at the plate, much better.
The reason I brought Starlin up is because his walk rate steadily improved last year. There's no reason to think that's not sustainable, especially because it was after Rowson was hired and constantly working with him on it. If he can put up close to 60 walks a year, he'll be fine out of the 1 spot.

I don't like Grandy out of the 1 either. DeJesus could do it as well.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:54 AM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:
No way. Keep him the **** away from the Cubs. This guy has the most rotted personality and attitude you can ever imagine. When he was with the Braves, he refused to even try to learn any English and made everyone speak to him in Spanish because he is such a dick. He isn't that good that I will put up with an attitude like that. Pretty sure every team that has traded him, has performed better after doing so.
Did not know that. Quickest flip flop in the history of ever.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:00 AM
RayP

Quote:
The reason I brought Starlin up is because his walk rate steadily improved last year. There's no reason to think that's not sustainable, especially because it was after Rowson was hired and constantly working with him on it. If he can put up close to 60 walks a year, he'll be fine out of the 1 spot.

I don't like Grandy out of the 1 either. DeJesus could do it as well.
April-July were pretty much the same, between 2-5 walks per month. August and September/October were better for sure, though. I don't even think I'd ask for 60 out of him. I'd be fine with 50 if he were hitting .310+.

Grandy is definitely more of a 3 or 5 IMO... I wonder what the Yanks will want for him. I'm sure they'll ask for what a real 40 HR guy would get, even though I don't think anyone would expect 40+ jacks out of him outside of that stadium.

Back to Yunel... yeah, the stories I've heard from him within the clubhouse are just absolutely insane... and actually are from Chipper Jones. Have a buddy is friends with him, and he lives a few minutes from our general area and have sat at the bar with him every now and then during the winter when he was relaxing. Speaking of dicks, he can be a massive one himself.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:12 AM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:
April-July were pretty much the same, between 2-5 walks per month. August and September/October were better for sure, though. I don't even think I'd ask for 60 out of him. I'd be fine with 50 if he were hitting .310+.

Grandy is definitely more of a 3 or 5 IMO... I wonder what the Yanks will want for him. I'm sure they'll ask for what a real 40 HR guy would get, even though I don't think anyone would expect 40+ jacks out of him outside of that stadium.

Back to Yunel... yeah, the stories I've heard from him within the clubhouse are just absolutely insane... and actually are from Chipper Jones. Have a buddy is friends with him, and he lives a few minutes from our general area and have sat at the bar with him every now and then during the winter when he was relaxing. Speaking of dicks, he can be a massive one himself.
All he needs is an 8% walk rate, which comes out closer to 60, then he's perfectly fine with OBPs north of .350. Heck, in 2011, he'd have an OBP of .370. Nom nom nom

I wasn't really on board with getting him in the first place, but I would assume it would start with one of the second tier, b grade guys. He's not going to net any of Baez, Almora or Soler.

Chipper can be a dick. He's awesome. Yicketty.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:24 AM
RayP

Quote:
All he needs is an 8% walk rate, which comes out closer to 60, then he's perfectly fine with OBPs north of .350. Heck, in 2011, he'd have an OBP of .370. Nom nom nom

I wasn't really on board with getting him in the first place, but I would assume it would start with one of the second tier, b grade guys. He's not going to net any of Baez, Almora or Soler.

Chipper can be a dick. He's awesome. Yicketty.

Sounds great to me.

I only brought it up because you might be able to get him without giving up one of those 3... and like I said, you could build a contender fairly cheaply, and not be stuck with massive longterm contracts. You'd just need to add one more quality pitcher, and you could definitely give the division a run.

I've never been a fan of him, and having met him hasn't really changed my opinion of him either. I hope he has nothing to do with announcing or anything of that nature, unless it's just local Braves coverage that I won't pay attention to.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:30 AM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:
Sounds great to me.

I only brought it up because you might be able to get him without giving up one of those 3... and like I said, you could build a contender fairly cheaply, and not be stuck with massive longterm contracts. You'd just need to add one more quality pitcher, and you could definitely give the division a run.

I've never been a fan of him, and having met him hasn't really changed my opinion of him either. I hope he has nothing to do with announcing or anything of that nature, unless it's just local Braves coverage that I won't pay attention to.
That is true. There's also some potential there to flip him if he plays out well, but that probably wouldn't be a likely scenario.

I've always liked Chipper but I'd assume he's stick pretty hard in Atlanta.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Where has this been stated when the only thing thats been said is they are in on aquiriing him?

Also, you have stated a couple times how the new batting coach has helped Castro with his horrible plate disciplne when his agent says the pressure of his contract was what was getting to him;

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs...ffected-castro

Lahair walked more then Cstro in 300 less at bats. Thats something a hitting coach can never fix.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Illinihockey

Need to see Castro do it for a few months to start the season before I believe in his change in approach. If he can get that walk rate to around 8% or 9%, I'll be very pleased.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:40 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Where has this been stated when the only thing thats been said is they are in on aquiriing him?

Also, you have stated a couple times how the new batting coach has helped Castro with his horrible plate disciplne when his agent says the pressure of his contract was what was getting to him;

Lahair walked more then Cstro in 300 less at bats. Thats something a hitting coach can never fix.
That is the worst comparison I ever seen. Even terrible by your standards. Might as well compare Cutler's K/AB rate as well.

What a joke.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:40 AM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post

Theo said they may have to get someone who hasn't played third to play there. Putting two and two together.

Rowson was hired in June. Castro's walk rate was 2.3% prior to his hiring. In the subsequent months, Castro's walk went went to 4.5%, 5.8%, 9.0%, and 6.8%.

Castro may very well have been affected, but it seems like he was affected more with putting the ball in play, which was actually out of the ordinary with a career low BABIP. He showed that if he can continue to improve his walk totals, he can fit incredibly well anywhere in the lineup.

Not even going to dignify the LaHair bit with a response.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Illinihockey

Haren 1 year deal with the Nats for #13 mil.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:45 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Haren 1 year deal with the Nats for #13 mil.
That's a decent penny for him... I know I've made it clear that I wanted him here. If we brought him in, and a solid bat, I think we could have given the division a run... would still have a top pick in this summer's draft, and not be locked into any 4-5 year contracts that guys like Edwin or Anibal are going to get. Also a decent shot you can flip Haren at the deadline to a contender if things don't pan out and the team doesn't compete.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:50 AM
RayP

Gotta feeling Jupton gets moved in the next day or so... Heyman reporting the Dbacks are shopping him HARD.

Mariners now jumping in the mix. Forgot the prospects they mentioned, but they gave Arizona a call and asked if their SP and SS prospects would be a enough. Really don't want to see him in Seattle, as a fan of him.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:02 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:
Gotta feeling Jupton gets moved in the next day or so... Heyman reporting the Dbacks are shopping him HARD.

Mariners now jumping in the mix. Forgot the prospects they mentioned, but they gave Arizona a call and asked if their SP and SS prospects would be a enough. Really don't want to see him in Seattle, as a fan of him.
Nick Franklin could be in the same group as Andrelton, the problem is he's not proven yet.

An outfield with Upton and Hamilton would be pretty nasty.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:07 PM
RayP

Quote:
Nick Franklin could be in the same group as Andrelton, the problem is he's not proven yet.

An outfield with Upton and Hamilton would be pretty nasty.
Rumor has it they offered him and Taijuan Walker.

I think he's going to be a Brave, honestly, and that they will have the best defensive and offensive OF in the MLB.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Cullksinikers

Jason Heyward and the Upton brosephs in the outfield would be pretty sweet for Atlanta.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:47 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:
Rumor has it they offered him and Taijuan Walker.

I think he's going to be a Brave, honestly, and that they will have the best defensive and offensive OF in the MLB.
The Mariners' system is one I really like, so I see the DBacks getting a good return here.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:48 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

They'll probably get a nice marketing bump too. They'll label them the new big three and target the black community.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:51 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Wishlist:

Dodgers get Dickey
Rangers get Greinke
Cubs get Holland and Bauer

Ok, I'll get out of dream land now.

Closed Thread