HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What teams might be (dis)advantaged by a short season?

Old
12-04-2012, 12:15 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

vCash: 500
Kesler should be all good to go. Elder and Garrison will have hopefully recovered. D.Sedin as well. Hopefully some good pieces come back in the Luongo deal.

Canucks: advantage.

WonderTwinsUnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Leafs started hot last year and faltered severely at the end of the season so that could be an advantage, but they also have a new coach and it's hard to say if the losses under Carlyle were a result of still needing time to adjust to a new system or if they were simply too defeated at that point. But the new coach could be a disadvantage. To be honest though, Leafs always find some new way to lose so the odds are in their favour that either way, it's a disadvantage for them.
As you said either way. You really can't predict them.
However; I would say that Carlyle is their biggest advantage.
They usually have a crippling slump, either at the end or
beginning.

If the GA comes down, they'll be ok.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:33 PM
joe89

Would be an advantage for Detroit, because most of the leading players are older. A shortened season is good for Cleary and Franzen especially. Also Helm(jaw), Filppula(knee), Eaves(concussion) who would miss time if we had been playing.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:22 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Leafs, especially if they deal for Luongo,will be at a disadvantage. If the whole season is locked out then they likely have a shot at a very high pick. On the other hand, in a shortened season the Leafs will likely come out strong like they did the last couple years (and even more so now if they acquire a star goalie), and will likely hold off theyre spot as they wont have enough time to plummet down the standings. However the team isnt yet a contender and will likely get swept in the first or second round. I know playoffs would be great but not at the cost of any of the top 5 this season.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:00 PM
JetsHomer

Jets will have Bogosian back but I think travel could lead to some problems. They were awful in road games and being in the SE will have some extended roundtrip in Florida. The fact that they would be the western most team in the eastern conference would not make things easy for them

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:08 PM
pdd

Pens could have a significant advantage; Crosby might only play 20 game again, but that's much more of an impact on a 50 game schedule than an 80 game schedule.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:16 PM
ComixZone

Flames: Advantage

Typically they're VERY slow starters (usually burying their season by Christmas). So with that in mind, they should have no problem digging themselves into contention for the #1 overall in '13 draft.

...friggin' Flames

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:25 PM
CantHaveTkachev
"Visually"

advantage: teams with players playing meaningful games in the minors or Europe
Oilers: Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Gagner, Smid, Hemsky and Schultz (will make the team) all are playing significant minutes in competitive games
that's basically the top 6 playing right now

disadvantage: veteran teams with big contributors and top-six guys sitting at home

ie. flames, Canucks

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:25 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Itll give the flames roughly 20~ games to make some franchise altering choices. Would be very interesting to say the least.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Lshap

I don't buy the argument that a short season allows teams to be lucky rather than good. Luck isn't even strong enough to decide a seven-game playoff series -- it certainly doesn't factor larger over 48, 72 or 82 games. The standings would be different if the season was 120 games. Does that make 82 games lucky?

Luck happens randomly and evenly in any decent sampling of games.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
24 Years of Fail

It'd be huge for the Sharks. Todd could start Niemi for 45 games in a row and come playoff time he'd still be a lot less tired than he normally is.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

Advantage Bruins. Rask doesn't have to play nearly as many games, and it's impossible to know when Chara is going to slow down. He gets to pace himself.

However, we miss November so there's 15 wins down the drain.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:43 PM
RedWingsForPresident

Red Wings. This off season reminds me a lot of the 2010 season. They lost a bunch of key guys and brought in some decent talent but not enough to fulfill it. In 2010 if there would have been a shortened season Detroit would've finished like 12th or 13th in the West.

Though with the Red Wings experience around the 60 game mark they broke through and went like 18-3-2 and got the 5th seed in the West and I think it was a 105 point season.

This year reminds me a lot of that. Lidstrom retiring, Stuart traded to San Jose (because he would've left for UFA) and Jiri Hudler going to Calgary. The Wings brought in Mikael Samuelsson (Former Red Wing) and Jordin TooToo. Some decent talent but neither are better than Hudler (maybe Samuelsson was better than Hudler in 08, 09) but not anymore. TooToo just brings grit.

On defense they brought in Carlo Coliacavo as their main pick up for the off season. That's simply not gonna cut it. The Red Wings were banking on Ryan Suter I get that but you need a reasonable plan B. I have to think this was plan D for Detroit. I'd like to see the Red Wings trade for someone like Keith Yandle. Then their D would be solidified.

I see the Red Wings starting the year out shaky just because of youth and inexperience... especially on the D end. Kronwall and White are about the only two proven D men back there now. Ericsson is inconsistent as hell and Coliacavo still needs to prove himself in the Red Wings system. Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl look promising but once again they still need to prove themselves as regular NHLers.

I think if the NHL played a 48 game season like in 94-95 they would be hurt by it. Because like in an 82 game season they wouldn't have enough time for the Veteran Leadership to kick in like it did in 2010. I guess we'll see

RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Any teams that made big personnel changes will obviously have a disadvantage. Takes time to get used to new team mates and systems.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:31 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Good Fan/Bad Fan

vCash: 141
Just looked at the 50 game mark for all teams last season (for most teams around
1 Feb). There was some seed switching but almost all the teams that made it to the playoffs would be there in a 50 game season.

In the East, Washington and Toronto would be tied for the 8th seed with 56 points. NHL.com didn't list the ROW for that date so I don't know who would win the tie breaker.

In the West, instead of winning the Pacific the Coyotes fall to 11th and Minnesota gets the 8th seed. The Wild started fast and then went into the crapper while the Coyotes would miss out on their awsome Feb run that put them back in the hunt.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I seem to remember the Canucks as being slow starters. Especially on the offensive side.

I think the Rangers would be at an advantage, because of the style they play every night. They'll have some gas left come playoff time.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Leafs, especially if they deal for Luongo,will be at a disadvantage. If the whole season is locked out then they likely have a shot at a very high pick. On the other hand, in a shortened season the Leafs will likely come out strong like they did the last couple years (and even more so now if they acquire a star goalie), and will likely hold off theyre spot as they wont have enough time to plummet down the standings. However the team isnt yet a contender and will likely get swept in the first or second round. I know playoffs would be great but not at the cost of any of the top 5 this season.
Sorry. Playoffs all the way, AINEC.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote