HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 11:04 PM
mesh

vCash: 500
trader jack will do whatever the montreal canadiens tell him to do with gallly and i guarantee the habs will want him on a team that will go deep into the playoffs escpecially after gally missed the whole season last year . tj will never go against the habs request and we all know why??????

Old
12-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesh View Post
trader jack will do whatever the montreal canadiens tell him to do with gallly and i guarantee the habs will want him on a team that will go deep into the playoffs escpecially after gally missed the whole season last year . tj will never go against the habs request and we all know why??????
Gally would be playing center right now if this was the case.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:35 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesh View Post
That is also saying the NHL cancel's their season. IF the NHL comes back this year, Gally will be in Montreal.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:49 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
It will definitely be a tough decision. That's for sure and I hope the fans back the final decision because there's pros and cons for both. If its me, I'm selling. But I'm guessing they don't especially since Sting management has stated that they will not trade Galchenyuk (I'm not saying its the right move but it's a sign of respect to AG who has done a lot for Sarnia)

In the end, if I know the Sting fan base well enough...I fully expect them to come down hard on whatever decision management makes. I won't be one of them.
I am sorry, but what has AG done for Sarnia? Sure he is a 3rd pick, but what has he done for the Sting. While he and Yaki were/are nice to watch, i am sure what they do is for them.
If they can get a deal they cannot resist, and he agrees, he's gone. In its current state, without ****** our future, this is not an MC team.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
I am sorry, but what has AG done for Sarnia? Sure he is a 3rd pick, but what has he done for the Sting. While he and Yaki were/are nice to watch, i am sure what they do is for them.
If they can get a deal they cannot resist, and he agrees, he's gone. In its current state, without ****** our future, this is not an MC team.
He's sold tickets for them. That's exactly what he's done. Without him in the lineup the attendance records would be sub-1000. And clearly, he's a big part of why they are 1st in the division (as of now).

I won't disagree that if they get blown away with an offer then he's likely gone but the chances of a team stepping up to the plate and overpaying for Galchenyuk are slim right now. The NHL lockout will prevent that from happening as no team will overpay for a kid that night be gone (even though I'm thinking these young prospects are nearing the threshold where NHL teams should keep them in Jr rather than come play a shortened NHL season).

I also don't think there are a lot of teams with the pieces to get a deal done. London has the pieces but they're also very deep with a team that might be better off getting a cheaper option. They're already a great team.

At the end of the day it's all about $$$ and that's clearly important for Sarnia (see last year's early moves to "go for it" to make a playoff run). Sarnia will base their decisions on $$$.

What I feel the Sting should do and what I think they will do are very different.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
IF the NHL comes back this year, Gally will be in Montreal.
I don't think so and certainly hope not. No point in keeping him up for 45-50 games. Maybe he gets the 9 game trial though.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Baldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
At the end of the day it's all about $$$ and that's clearly important for Sarnia (see last year's early moves to "go for it" to make a playoff run). Sarnia will base their decisions on $$$.
Exactly. $ signs will be the deciding factor. Attendance has been pretty dismal with just over 2700 against division rival Saginaw on a Friday night, and the Legionnaires not playing. Get rid of Gally, Boucher, Sarault etc and attendance tanks even more. If the owners think that we can get a few playoff rounds then that will be all that matters to them. They will keep our stars, trade off a few middling players and high draft picks for a few other middling players and lower draft picks, so it looks like they are doing something to get to the MC. Then when we get knocked out in the 1st round Rob C will get on the radio and say how that is not acceptable, fire JB in the off season, bring in a new guy and we start all over again. Groundhog Day.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:56 AM
tourlord*

Watched these guys kick Oshawa butt on Sunday. They were up 3-0 in the first period and Galchenyuk scored 14 seconds into their first PP. You could tell they sat back the entire game, they didn't need to do anymore. Watch out for Sarnia, they are my sleeper team. Galchenyuk is a great player and I love his defensive game. He's always one of the first ones back into his own end. Galchenyuk, Boucher and Sarault is there big line. Mind you Sarnia had played three road games before embarrassing the Gennies. :

Old
12-04-2012, 11:44 AM
seen em all

Toulourd wake up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
Watched these guys kick Oshawa butt on Sunday. They were up 3-0 in the first period and Galchenyuk scored 14 seconds into their first PP. You could tell they sat back the entire game, they didn't need to do anymore. Watch out for Sarnia, they are my sleeper team. Galchenyuk is a great player and I love his defensive game. He's always one of the first ones back into his own end. Galchenyuk, Boucher and Sarault is there big line. Mind you Sarnia had played three road games before embarrassing the Gennies. :
Embarrassing the Gennies, WOW, you`re kidding right ? shots 42 to 16 Gens, Sarnia goes 2/5 on the power play Oshawa 1/7 on pp Goaltending was the only embarassing thing on the whole night 3 goals on 5 shots for a 3 to 0 lead. Oshawa outplayed out hussled and out worked a tired Sarnia team, they just could not beat Anderson.The only thing I agree with you is that Galchenyuk, Reid and Sarault are the Sting`s number 1 line,but on the night they were shut out except for Galchenyuk scored a power play goal on a weak back up goaltender and he was still a -1 on the night.
Extremely bad assessment of a good hockey game.Thank god your only a fan and not a scout GEEEEZZZZZZ

Old
12-04-2012, 01:27 PM
StungbySting

How brutal is it that USA hockey didn't invite Reid Boucher to their selection camp...he's 2nd in points in the OHL for US born players behind Alex Glachenyuk...guess it's not a good idea to select players that already have some chemistry

Old
12-04-2012, 01:33 PM
jwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen em all View Post
Embarrassing the Gennies, WOW, you`re kidding right ? shots 42 to 16 Gens, Sarnia goes 2/5 on the power play Oshawa 1/7 on pp Goaltending was the only embarassing thing on the whole night 3 goals on 5 shots for a 3 to 0 lead. Oshawa outplayed out hussled and out worked a tired Sarnia team, they just could not beat Anderson.The only thing I agree with you is that Galchenyuk, Reid and Sarault are the Sting`s number 1 line,but on the night they were shut out except for Galchenyuk scored a power play goal on a weak back up goaltender and he was still a -1 on the night.
Extremely bad assessment of a good hockey game.Thank god your only a fan and not a scout GEEEEZZZZZZ
Couldn't agree more. Oshawa far and away carried most of the play but their netminding was God Awful. Appleby got pulled after letting in 2 of the first 4 shots and then Altshuler let in a beach ball on his very first shot. Sting had 3 goals on 5 shots in the first. The only reason the Sting won was because Anderson was great all night. (It was an absolute joke that he wasn't the game's first star - blatant homerism for whoever picks the stars in the Shwa. )

The game should be instructive to Jocko in the event that he's thinking about going for it this year (God knows hwhat he would have left to trade) - against big teams that like to hit it's going to be a real struggle to get far in the playoffs, and there are better teams out there than the Generals.

Kind of puzzling why Jocko gave Basso so much icetime at the end of the game when the team was under siege. The kid has great offensive talent but is defensively suspect. Ditto for playing Boucher on the PK.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:44 PM
massey

Quote:
You are joking right.I am a huge Sting fan but Oshawa outplayed sarnia terrible.No they were not sitting back,they were tired.2 of the 3 sting goals were flukes but hey they all count.Yes the boys blocked a pile of shots and JP STOLED this game for the Sting.Still cant believe he was not 1st star.PK was good also.Sting being outshot 42-16 is not embarrassing your opposition.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:49 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Couldn't agree more. Oshawa far and away carried most of the play but their netminding was God Awful. Appleby got pulled after letting in 2 of the first 4 shots and then Altshuler let in a beach ball on his very first shot. Sting had 3 goals on 5 shots in the first. The only reason the Sting won was because Anderson was great all night. (It was an absolute joke that he wasn't the game's first star - blatant homerism for whoever picks the stars in the Shwa. )

The game should be instructive to Jocko in the event that he's thinking about going for it this year (God knows hwhat he would have left to trade) - against big teams that like to hit it's going to be a real struggle to get far in the playoffs, and there are better teams out there than the Generals.

Kind of puzzling why Jocko gave Basso so much icetime at the end of the game when the team was under siege. The kid has great offensive talent but is defensively suspect. Ditto for playing Boucher on the PK.
Boucher has played a lot on the PK this year and has played excellent.Not sure why that is because he is an offensive guy.He blocks shot and skates well along with underrated Sarault.Gali and latta usually is the 2nd PK group.As for basso who knows why he gets played,he is a very frustrating player to watch.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:50 PM
seen em all

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
You are joking right.I am a huge Sting fan but Oshawa outplayed sarnia terrible.No they were not sitting back,they were tired.2 of the 3 sting goals were flukes but hey they all count.Yes the boys blocked a pile of shots and JP STOLED this game for the Sting.Still cant believe he was not 1st star.PK was good also.Sting being outshot 42-16 is not embarrassing your opposition.
Thank you, I think Toulourd is embarrassing himself with idiotic comments.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:51 PM
seen em all

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
thank you once again. Good job Toulourd

Old
12-04-2012, 01:53 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
How brutal is it that USA hockey didn't invite Reid Boucher to their selection camp...he's 2nd in points in the OHL for US born players behind Alex Glachenyuk...guess it's not a good idea to select players that already have some chemistry
Surprised no invite but also look at team Canada not inviting Seth Griffith.I like Boucher but neither players are big hitters and in size and looking at both rosters not sure either would make anyways.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:15 AM
StungbySting

The Sting still need to figure out what to do with their second Euro spot. I can't remember the last time I've seen David Nemecek in a game. He's only played 13 of the team's 29 games this year. Seems like a bit of a waste of a Euro spot to me.

Now that Hottot has left the team there is also the possibility of adding another OA. Hopefully they could bring in some secondary scoring with a bit of a physical side.

If JB is not going to be a seller at the deadline, these 2 spots need to be addressed in order to give the team a chance to be competitive. Some tough decisions ahead for sure.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:26 AM
massey

Quote:
The Sting still need to figure out what to do with their second Euro spot. I can't remember the last time I've seen David Nemecek in a game. He's only played 13 of the team's 29 games this year. Seems like a bit of a waste of a Euro spot to me.

Now that Hottot has left the team there is also the possibility of adding another OA. Hopefully they could bring in some secondary scoring with a bit of a physical side.

If JB is not going to be a seller at the deadline, these 2 spots need to be addressed in order to give the team a chance to be competitive. Some tough decisions ahead for sure.
I would only presume that JB is waiting to see where this team is heading.Not sure if he is a buyer for an O/A what goods he has to sell.The Alberga and Charilliti trades are egg in the face today.I have said on numerous posts on here Hottot should have been the man gone even if he wouldnt go.We got very little in return for both of these players.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:00 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Lavy, I am not surprised at all to be honest. As good as Boucher has been this past month, it comes down to a numbers game and all of the invites were very deserving. What complicates it even more is that USA named a 27-man preliminary roster where only 2 forwards and 2 defensemen will be cut. At this moment, I don't see Boucher making a top-6 role on Team USA (too deep) and that's the role he would need to play. He has great sniping abilities but (as Sting fans have seen in the past) he is wildly inconsistent from game-to-game. Right now, Boucher's as hot as they come so it's hard to fathom him being left off but the World Juniors is too short of a tournament for a player as inconsistent and hot-and-cold as Booch.

If USA named an expanded roster (like Canada's 37 man squad) then I guarantee that Boucher is included. Since they are only making a few cuts, he was a player that could be left off. There are just more consistent and more versatile forwards available for those slots.

It's a shame based on his stellar play and he's certainly a game-breaker but I think USA Hockey weighed the risk of his hot-and-cold play and made the right decision.

We'll see if it pays off. It certainly helps Sarnia as he can now dress for them while Gally and Murphy (probably) are away at the WJC.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
highstickside

Owen Sound thanks you very much for Nathan Charlitti!!

If Sarnia ends up being a buyer...that would mean that they are trying to make some sort of a run...and if that's the case, and if it's also true that "Defense wins Championships", could someone explain why you would trade away your captain and the current reigning +/- defenseman in the OHL, to a Conference rival, no less?

I'm betting that there will be a firesale in Sarnia between now and the trade deadline.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:14 AM
PdashOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstickside View Post
Owen Sound thanks you very much for Nathan Charlitti!!

If Sarnia ends up being a buyer...that would mean that they are trying to make some sort of a run...and if that's the case, and if it's also true that "Defense wins Championships", could someone explain why you would trade away your captain and the current reigning +/- defenseman in the OHL, to a Conference rival, no less?

I'm betting that there will be a firesale in Sarnia between now and the trade deadline.
Basically because Beaulieu felt the team was deeper on D and could more afford to trade Chiarlitti than (at the time) a top-6 forward and because Chiarlitti also brought in way more than Alberga or Hottot would have.
http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/08/29...ade-chiarlitti

Old
12-05-2012, 01:02 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdashOw View Post
Basically because Beaulieu felt the team was deeper on D and could more afford to trade Chiarlitti than (at the time) a top-6 forward and because Chiarlitti also brought in way more than Alberga or Hottot would have.
http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/08/29...ade-chiarlitti
Exactly this reason. It doesn't take much to understand his logic behind the (VERY difficult) choice to deal Chiarlitti:
  • More trade value for Chiarlitti
  • Hottot didn't want to be traded (hands were tied)
  • Depth and experience on the blueline outweighs depth on forward

Sarnia knew how good Chiarlitti was and they are certainly glad he's excelling in Owen Sound...no one doubted that he would.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:46 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
That might be my favorite comment in your post. Does not being able to stand up because you are so exhausted count as sitting back? Because that happened to 2 or 3 of the Sting in the final 10 min. My favorite was Kuzmyk, at one point in the 3rd, he looked like a novice kid who had fallen down and couldn't get back up. Should have found a life alert to throw to him, but he was at the other end of the rink.

They were all exhausted, but they played their heart's out and got the win. It was nice to see that they didn't give up.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:36 AM
dansk55

btw, whatever happened the split personality... johnny and herman.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:07 PM
massey

Congrats to Davis Brown for his first goal.Another assist to Carnevale.He is also starting to pay off.Beauty goal by Gali AGAIN. But the big news in this one is JP STOLED another game for the Sting.This is 3 or 4 in a row he has played awesome.Go Sting

Closed Thread