HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Frattin - A prospect profile

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
  #1
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Matt Frattin - A prospect profile

Just completed a little while ago, might have some grammar issues. Would like to know what everyone thinks.

Matt Frattin - Toronto Maple Leafs #99 Overall 2007 Entry Draft
Forward
SEASON TO DATE:
Toronto Marlies
DOB: January 3, 1988
Skill assessment on 20-80 scale.


SUMMARY

Matt Frattin is a goal-scoring winger. Capable of playing both wings, I believe he has more success on the right wing than left. Has a well above average shot, possibly even a high end shot. Has decent wheels, and is noticeable along the boards and in all three zones. Motor is not always on high, and he should not be relied upon to create offense. If given time and space with the puck on his stick he will burn goalies regularly with his shot. Is decent on the cycle, and has pretty quick hands around the net. Capable of tipping pucks to create chances. Passing skills are at best NHL average. Can get puck to net with regularity, but if rushed will miss the net with his shot. Dangling skills are mediocre. Release is smooth but could be faster. When paired with skilled passing forwards he is capable of being a game-breaking finisher at NCAA + AHL levels, remains to be seen how well it will translate to NHL given lack of time and space. With less time and a fairly uncreative game there is fair concern over a streaky goal scoring nature. Has a truly top end one timer but has difficulty getting into proper position to use it given mediocre at best four-way mobility. Has a bullish frame with incredible strength given size. Needs to engage significantly more in physical contact if he wishes to increase his value; however, his play this season in AHL has shown an decent increase in physical presence. Nearly impossible to knock over. Can be very 1-dimensional at times with tunnel vision, and a shoot at all costs mentality.


Given Matt Frattin’s age (24) it is tough to discern what his remaining upside is. I feel comfortable projecting him as a gritty goal scoring third liner, but I am hesitant to say he has top 6 upside. Improvement in some basic tools and he could reach that level however.


CSS CHECKLIST:

Skating
(55) Acceleration - Moves well, has deceptive quickness and can sneak past defenders
(50) Speed - Speed at full stride is average
(60) Balance - Bull strength, impossible to knock over in open ice, not as noticeable on boards
(45) Mobility - Agility, footwork, pivots, stops and starts, might be slightly below average for NHL. Reduces his ability on the cycle.
(50) Backward Skating - Is not a glaring weakness, roughly average for NHL forward.
Overall = Skating is decent with some choppiness, but he effectively moves from point A to B. Top end speed is lacking, but has some explosiveness in stride. Could improve in east-west mobility and in shiftiness.

Puck skills
(55) Shot accuracy - Can pick corners quite well with adequate time. If rushed, can be guilty of pushing for a corner (and missing) instead of getting puck on net.
(60/65) Shot strength - Heavy shot very difficult to handle for goalies at times, slap shot / one timer is possibly a (70).
(55) Shot release - Can get the puck off with regularity. Smooth, and powerful. Perhaps not as quick as it should be.
(60) Possess multiple shot types - Wrist and snap shot have strong power, and at times seem to have eyes. Back hand is decent, not remarkable. Half-clapper / one-timed slap shot best tool but not adept at using it.
(45) Stick-handling ability - Dangling is NHL average at very best, he is not a dangler. Can hold onto a puck easily, but does not seek to turn a player inside out. Seems to be aware this is a weakness.
(50) Puck protection - Body position is strong, protects puck decently, but can get caught in tight because of mediocre mobility. Strength makes up for it in some cases.
(N/A) Faceoffs - Matt is a winger.
(45) Giving a Pass - Not a playmaking winger. Can make decent small passes to help continue an offensive play, but will not thread the needle with regularity to fuel scoring chances.
(55) Receiving a Pass - Can catch a puck on his blade well, hands are good enough to catch a pass on the move, and he can settle it down or shoot it while wobbling for a chance.
(50) Scoring touch - Consistently in high traffic areas creating / engaging in offense. Gets puck to net when opportunity arises. Could stand to physically take puck to net more with his strength. This area could improve should he start to utilize his physical tools more.
Overall = Strong shooting player. Lacking in playmaking skil-lset, but does not have the vision to play that kind of game regardless. His shooting skills are close to if not at an all-star level. Should he start to engage more physically, it is conceivable he becomes a bigger front of net threat.

Competitiveness
(55) Scoring drive - Shoots a lot, tries consistently to put the puck in the net. Motor is not strong enough to be a threat in more areas on the ice.
(50) Work ethic - Is consistent generally from shift to shift, but has noticeably stronger shifts occasionally especially in the offensive end. At times can be guilty of being invisible until he scores.
(50) Attitude - Seems to have relaxed approach both on and off-ice, doesnt come off as a leader however. Problematic college days appear to be behind him.
(50) Consistency - Coach can feel comfortable with him in many situations and from game to game. Will generally be a hard working player every night leaving little for a coach to complain about. Certain shifts stronger than others, and goal scoring can be streaky. At lower levels Matt Frattin is a consistent goal scoring threat shift to shift.
(50) Forechecking - Is strong along boards but can be out worked due to mobility concerns, however he is generally quick to attack the puck carrier. With increase in physicality he will become stronger on the forecheck. Increased motor will make him a real problem.
Overall = Somewhat quiet but is a lead-by-example type. Gets the job done on the ice, and doesnt give coaches or referees attitude. Is a gamer and shows up in the clutch to score goals. His average motor makes him appear like he is not trying as hard in all areas of ice, but he is generally engaged in play in all three zones.

Physical Play
(50) Board & Corner play - Battles for pucks, willing to pay the price with body, I expect this to improve.
(55) Physical presence - Size and strength are used as an asset; can throw big hits and when tries can make them hurt. Can use size to create offense. Is tentative yet aware of strength, can hit players off the puck in the offensive zone to strip them of puck and create chances.
(55) Conditioning - Well conditioned, could stand to improve so he can increase his motor. However, not worth it if it will detract from his strength as his strength is exceptional.
(60) Hitting - Hits with big power, and can hurt a player. Does not do it enough. Should engage physically in his own zone more as he can be a powerful intimidation tool.
(N/A) Fighting - Does not fight often, if at all.
Overall = Strong physical player when engaging. Consistency in this department could improve. Generally is at least average.

Hockey Sense
(45) Playmaking - Not one to read a defense and make passes to create offense. Can move a puck adequately at the NHL level, but absolutely not to be relied on to create offense at NHL level.
(50) Anticipation - Reads and reacts to the play, quick to strike when opportunity arises, generally a shooter although can surprise by making a pass in a scoring situation. Decent in defensive anticipation, will not over-stretch or seek a big hit and remove himself from position. Knows role as a goal scorer and puts himself in scoring positions, but could stand to be the physical player more often.
(55) Discipline - Typically avoids bad penalties, accepts a bad call, not often drawn into retaliation but does not take abuse. Often found in scrums even if not necessarily the main component.
(50) Decision Making - Could add an east-west element to his game, but as a winger he does a good job of playing along the wing and being a goal-scorer. Can be guilty of being predictable as he is shooter. Is far less valuable when not playing with players who help create offense.
(55) Play under pressure - Can be stymied by a tough defense, especially if his line is shutdown effectively. He is still noticeable, but is less effective. Can come through in the clutch however and be a difference maker if given opportunities to score.
(50) Versatility - Decent defensively, but is not a 1st PK unit player or a player you want out with a minute remaining and a one goal lead. Can be used on a PP however, and is generally not a liability.
Overall = Not a strong creative offensive forward. Significantly better finisher than playmaker. Can be useful on a cycle, but is not a significant asset. Can keep most passing plays going, but not a guy to thread the needle for a play. At best when set up aptly with goal scoring chances. If found near open near hash marks and sometimes further he can be a consistent and legitimate goal scoring threat.

Defensive Play
(50/55) Defensive Anticipation - Can read a play, is consistent with gap control, puck pursuit is not as strong as it could be. Improvement would add good value.
(50) Positioning - Generally keeps forwards to the outside when defending, can at times get beat by the more fleet of foot. Is however normally in the right place to break up a poor play or block a shot.
(50/55) Backchecking - Is good at returning to his own zone, not one to be lazy coming back. Will find an open man and pick them up, but could stand to be a bigger pain upon returning to his own zone.
(50) Defensive Reliability - Can be used in some defensive situations, but not a top defensive player.
Overall = Slightly above average defensive player. Can be used in most situations and could improve in this area with further experience at NHL level.

Psychological Factors
(50) Leadership - Pretty quiet on ice demeanor, seems to get along with other players but is not one to take command of a team or a bench.
(55) Communication - Talks to other players and coaches on ice and on bench. Can be seen calling for a puck.
Confidence - Strong confidence, especially in his shot. Wants to be set up in offensive zone.
Overall = Has a professional mentality, and is the type of player to fit easily into an NHL dressing room. Does not strike me as a leader however, but is definitely a team player.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:03 AM
  #2
dfunk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
sheesh, finally finished reading thanks for taking the time to do this

I agree with the post overall.. Definitely has an elite shot but does take him a while to get it off. if his release were quicker i think he'd be capable of 25 in the NHL if he rounds out the rest of his game.

But I do think he'll top out at a 3rd line winger who pots 15-20. Which is definitely a useful player. When thinking of a comparable player Chad LaRose comes to mind for some reason

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:55 AM
  #3
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,359
vCash: 500
Two things I don't necessarily agree with are:
  • "Capable of tipping pucks to create chances." I've not seen much of this at all. At least, not at the NHL level.
  • Some of his weaknesses deserve a lower than 45 rating. Stick handling, playmaking, decision making (getting into the right spots in offensive zone), and even defensive awareness.

Other than that, fairly accurate assessment.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:08 AM
  #4
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk View Post
sheesh, finally finished reading thanks for taking the time to do this

I agree with the post overall.. Definitely has an elite shot but does take him a while to get it off. if his release were quicker i think he'd be capable of 25 in the NHL if he rounds out the rest of his game.

But I do think he'll top out at a 3rd line winger who pots 15-20. Which is definitely a useful player. When thinking of a comparable player Chad LaRose comes to mind for some reason
Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Two things I don't necessarily agree with are:
  • "Capable of tipping pucks to create chances." I've not seen much of this at all. At least, not at the NHL level.
  • Some of his weaknesses deserve a lower than 45 rating. Stick handling, playmaking, decision making (getting into the right spots in offensive zone), and even defensive awareness.

Other than that, fairly accurate assessment.
Fair enough. Stick handling especially I think you have an argument. Argument for it to be a 40 IMO. Playmaking is not THAT awful, he can pass the puck but yes, perhaps a lower grade is warranted. I will review again.

Decision making at lower levels is very strong. I left it as a good grade because I think it is possible it will translate to a stronger degree than seen last season in NHL. Defensive awareness I disagree. He is not poor in this area, but relatively average IMO.

EDIT: On second thought, I think I agree:

Stickhandling: 40
Playmaking: 40


Last edited by KlattNazty: 12-04-2012 at 10:13 AM.
KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:19 PM
  #5
Rob11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk View Post
I agree with the post overall.. Definitely has an elite shot but does take him a while to get it off. if his release were quicker i think he'd be capable of 25 in the NHL if he rounds out the rest of his game.
funny because I was always amazed at how quick his release.

Rob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:16 PM
  #6
Prototype
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
I agree. I think his his release is above average and he has a NHL caliber shot.

Accuracy was a problem last year at the NHL level but that may be attributable to the new speed of the game. Would love to see what he can do with a second season.

Prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:39 PM
  #7
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob11 View Post
funny because I was always amazed at how quick his release.
his release is quite quick when he is trying to take a one-timer.

but his release on a wrist shot normally is not kessel esque for example, where it is just instantly off his blade and it never even looked like he was gunna shoot.

good example is his last marlies game where he scored twice. i think his second (?) was a beautiful one timer where the puck was barely on his blade. but again, he had time to set up and space.

other times when he has the puck his release is not the quickest and it telegraphs his shooting

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:41 PM
  #8
facey
Registered User
 
facey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Sentence structure does not need to be something positive, but something negative - every single time. Accurately describing a player does not require upper and lower boundaries IMO.

I also disagree with the view that a 20G winger is anything but top 6 - please find some examples of 20G winger who are outside the top 6 for forward TOI. Given that, I disagree with Matt as unlikely to be a top 6 forward, hell we used him as one for a good stretch last year. The best part about Frattin's game, IMO, is his strength - he is more Dustin Brown than your report implies, he hits HUGE, he is fearless in pursuit of the puck and his scoring will transfer to the next level, because from what I can tell, his moves are not taking advantage of weaker opponents nor are they junior level stuff - he scores with a quick release, winning positioning for the puck and a heavy shot.

Your write up was definitely worth the read, it just felt like you started to rein in your expectations solely based on his age, or rookie season # and not on your viewings of him.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:47 PM
  #9
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post
Sentence structure does not need to be something positive, but something negative - every single time. Accurately describing a player does not require upper and lower boundaries IMO.

I also disagree with the view that a 20G winger is anything but top 6 - please find some examples of 20G winger who are outside the top 6 for forward TOI. Given that, I disagree with Matt as unlikely to be a top 6 forward, hell we used him as one for a good stretch last year. The best part about Frattin's game, IMO, is his strength - he is more Dustin Brown than your report implies, he hits HUGE, he is fearless in pursuit of the puck and his scoring will transfer to the next level, because from what I can tell, his moves are not taking advantage of weaker opponents nor are they junior level stuff - he scores with a quick release, winning positioning for the puck and a heavy shot.

Your write up was definitely worth the read, it just felt like you started to rein in your expectations solely based on his age, or rookie season # and not on your viewings of him.
decent reasons to disagree. thanks for the response. i dont think our views are all that different, but i tried to be very objective about it and what people expect out of a top 6 winger.

he is fearless in pursuit of the puck, and does do a good job at winning position, but often times he is too hindered by his skating to take advantage of those opportunities. his skating is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but its his 4 way mobility that is concerning. in order to take advantage of his shot, he needs to be able to get open more easily and into better shooting position. IMO that is a weakness.

I can see and do respect all your argument however. Thank you

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:52 PM
  #10
headwire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
decent reasons to disagree. thanks for the response. i dont think our views are all that different, but i tried to be very objective about it and what people expect out of a top 6 winger.

he is fearless in pursuit of the puck, and does do a good job at winning position, but often times he is too hindered by his skating to take advantage of those opportunities. his skating is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but its his 4 way mobility that is concerning. in order to take advantage of his shot, he needs to be able to get open more easily and into better shooting position. IMO that is a weakness.

I can see and do respect all your argument however. Thank you
I don't really have anything to contribute to the discussion, but do have a question: Why a scale of 20 - 80? That seems suprisingly arbitrary. Why not just do a scale of 1-100?

headwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:53 PM
  #11
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post
Sentence structure does not need to be something positive, but something negative - every single time. Accurately describing a player does not require upper and lower boundaries IMO.

I also disagree with the view that a 20G winger is anything but top 6 - please find some examples of 20G winger who are outside the top 6 for forward TOI. Given that, I disagree with Matt as unlikely to be a top 6 forward, hell we used him as one for a good stretch last year. The best part about Frattin's game, IMO, is his strength - he is more Dustin Brown than your report implies, he hits HUGE, he is fearless in pursuit of the puck and his scoring will transfer to the next level, because from what I can tell, his moves are not taking advantage of weaker opponents nor are they junior level stuff - he scores with a quick release, winning positioning for the puck and a heavy shot.

Your write up was definitely worth the read, it just felt like you started to rein in your expectations solely based on his age, or rookie season # and not on your viewings of him.
Distin Brown hits with a purpose, either to help him in puck recovery efforts, or as a tool of intimidation. Frattin has a lot to work on before any comparison to Dustin Brown can be made. So far in the NHL, he's not an intimidating force at all, and isn't particularly effective along boards, either.

Also, did I miss something? When did Frattin hit the 20G mark in the NHL?

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:56 PM
  #12
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwire View Post
I don't really have anything to contribute to the discussion, but do have a question: Why a scale of 20 - 80? That seems suprisingly arbitrary. Why not just do a scale of 1-100?
sorry i keep forgetting to include the link. i really like the way corey pronman assesses skills. ive adapted it to intangibles to a degree tho.

http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=602

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:57 PM
  #13
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Distin Brown hits with a purpose, either to help him in puck recovery efforts, or as a tool of intimidation. Frattin has a lot to work on before any comparison to Dustin Brown can be made. So far in the NHL, he's not an intimidating force at all, and isn't particularly effective along boards, either.

Also, did I miss something? When did Frattin hit the 20G mark in the NHL?
i agree. this is why i said he needs to engage physically significantly more if he wants to improve his value.

at AHL + lower levels he has shown that he can use his strength as a bigger tool than he has at the NHL level.

I think he was guilty last year of the "holy crap im playing with NHL stars" mentality.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:14 PM
  #14
headwire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
sorry i keep forgetting to include the link. i really like the way corey pronman assesses skills. ive adapted it to intangibles to a degree tho.

http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=602
Thanks for that. I especially appreciate that I can now compare my hockey skills against NHL prospects. 20's across the board baby!

headwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:15 PM
  #15
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwire View Post
Thanks for that. I especially appreciate that I can now compare my hockey skills against NHL prospects. 20's across the board baby!
wow, join my team please :S

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:15 PM
  #16
headwire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
wow, join my team please :S
I only merit a 20 because that's the lowest you can go on that rating system.

headwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:31 PM
  #17
Leafssss
Registered User
 
Leafssss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CANADA
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
his release is quite quick when he is trying to take a one-timer.

but his release on a wrist shot normally is not kessel esque for example, where it is just instantly off his blade and it never even looked like he was gunna shoot.

good example is his last marlies game where he scored twice. i think his second (?) was a beautiful one timer where the puck was barely on his blade. but again, he had time to set up and space.

other times when he has the puck his release is not the quickest and it telegraphs his shooting

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:50 PM
  #18
Duke Silver
Truce?
 
Duke Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,949
vCash: 450
Reminds me of a more physical, better skating Michael Ryder. Vicious shot, knows how to get open, lacks playmaking vision.

He won't score 30, but he might score close to 25.


Last edited by Duke Silver: 12-04-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:13 PM
  #19
WeWantACup
HFB Partner
 
WeWantACup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 498
vCash: 500
On the Right Path: Matt Frattin

Matt Frattin has always been a scorer. From his days with the Fort Saskatchewan Traders in the Alberta Junior Hockey League when he scored 49 goals in 58 games,Frattin showed his propensity for finding the back of the net with regularity,a trait that led to the Leafs selecting him 99th overall in 2007.

read more
http://wewantacup.com/headlines/1081...h-matt-frattin


WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:27 AM
  #20
onebighockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantACup View Post
Matt Frattin has always been a scorer. From his days with the Fort Saskatchewan Traders in the Alberta Junior Hockey League when he scored 49 goals in 58 games,Frattin showed his propensity for finding the back of the net with regularity,a trait that led to the Leafs selecting him 99th overall in 2007.

read more
http://wewantacup.com/headlines/1081...h-matt-frattin

His goal production has been steadily decreasing at every higher level Fratttin has gone. It does not look good if you ask me.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:50 AM
  #21
ScJeff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
His goal production has been steadily decreasing at every higher level Fratttin has gone. It does not look good if you ask me.
Im pretty sure %95 of players goal production decreases at every level they go up. Very rarely does playing against better players and especially better goalies make your production rise... it normally decreases. By how much is the question.

Crosby GPG was cut in half from QMHJL to NHL.... does that make it not look good for crosby?

Also his AHL production hasnt gone done comming form NCAA.

NCAA: Goals:64 Games:154 GPG: 0.41
AHLincluding playoffs) Goals:31 Games: 44 GPG: 0.7

His GPG is almost double in the AHL to NCAA. The only two drops are from AJHL to NCAA (and if you don't expect that then you dont know hockey) and from AHL to NHL where the sample size is tiny, and his minutes were decreased.

I woudln't be concerned. Im not saying he is a top line player, but having seen him play in person numerous times he can be a good 3rd liner with the potential to grow to a 2nd liner.

ScJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:48 PM
  #22
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
His goal production has been steadily decreasing at every higher level Fratttin has gone. It does not look good if you ask me.
I'm hoping this is sarcastic. Otherwise, you're just stating the obvious. 31 goals in 44 AHL games is nothing to sneeze at. Obviously, he hasn't hit that kind of level in the NHL yet, but the NHL is the hardest league and he was a rookie last year.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:41 PM
  #23
facey
Registered User
 
facey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Distin Brown hits with a purpose, either to help him in puck recovery efforts, or as a tool of intimidation. Frattin has a lot to work on before any comparison to Dustin Brown can be made. So far in the NHL, he's not an intimidating force at all, and isn't particularly effective along boards, either.

I think you need to have watched Matt at the NCAA or a few of his AHL games to get the comparison. But Frattin has a history of destructive hits, and separates his checks from the puck especially well IMO, last weekend he got a penalty for what IMO was a very solid hit through the hands on a player he was back-checking on - but the opponent was FAR from ready or much weaker (combo of the two).



Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Also, did I miss something? When did Frattin hit the 20G mark in the NHL?
You did not miss anything, but the original poster speculated that 20G is not out of the question (to which I agree) and in the same sentence that he would be a 3rd liner -> those are conflicting statements IMO, unless you have different definitions of top 6.

Frattin's history of goal production is nothing short of impressive - and something that LOOKS like it should continue to transfer up. 31G in any number of AHL games would be a positive sign, but in 44 is straight up promising.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.