What's our biggest hole, appart from back-up goalie? Left wing?
Second line left wing (behind Pacioretty)
First line right wing (In case Collberg ends up a 2nd line/bust)
Some more defensive/toughness-oriented 3rd/4th line winger
Top-pairing left D
Reliable back-up goalie
I believe that's what me miss in our prospect pool. High end talent in all position would be good though to avoid bust problems.
The very doomsday scenario of this lockout dragging into October or November 2013.
I could see them skipping the draft and having a super draft with 2 ''draft classes'' it in June 2014 if that happens.
Perfect opportunity for the NHL to move the draft age to 19 years of age and leave it there. The draft is now too much of a guessing game of projection with drafting kids at such a young age.
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe
They could still want to do it in order to raise the draft age to 19 - something that has been discussed in the past, as it's too difficult to assess correctly 18 years old players.
On the other hand, the league had the opportunity to do it last lockout and didn't, don't think it will happen now.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees the logic in doing that. The main reason they didn't do it during the last lockout was to use the Crosby effect to garner much needed positive publicity for the coming season.
1) They draft heavily from the QJMHL. There is so much talent in the Q this year, we cannot pass on it. I know that talent must prevail over where the player is from, but this year we can find player that have both. Mantha, Carrier, Gauthier, Duclair, Drouin are all 1st or 2nd round player that the Habs should take a very good look.
2) Find 1st line potential. Every foward in the top 10 have 1st line potential. My favorite is Barkov, but Mackinnon, Drouin, Lindholm, Monahan, Shinkaruk are all players that could play on our 1st line. But players like Erne, Mantha, Lazar, Nichushkin, Burakowsky, Duclair, Sorensen could have 1st line potential and they could as low as the 2nd round. I'm sure Timmins will do magic at the begining of the 2nd and find another player like Collberg. We need player to play with Gally.
3) A big stay at home defenser. We already have Subban, Beaulieu and Gorges as mobile defensemen. We don't have a lot of player like Tinordi. I think we should take one of the 2nd round picks to get another big defenseman. Like: Sherman, Valiyev, Eric Roy or Graves.
4) Jordan Subban. Nothing to add.
5) A good Grinder. It's been a long time since we had a big 3rd line Grinder.
The draft is part of the CBA, so I don't think they can just hold a draft out of the blue without an agreement.
Well, I don't see why they couldn't... it would basically be no different than our office fantasy draft legally. But once they have it done, they could make the results of it a part of the next CBA, whenever that came around. I doubt the draft is a big sticking point for the PA, so it probably wouldn't be a show-stopper if they put that clause on the table...
How about those 12 guys from the Q in Button's latest top-60?
That's a nice sign. I'm all for the Q pumping out some legitimate talent instead of the rare few they do every year. It's much easier to swallow the pressure to draft local talent when there actually IS local talent.