HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-03-2012, 06:09 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

vCash: 500
It will be interesting to see if Barkov can break Forsberg record in points at WJC's from 1993. (7+24 in 7 games). I know it is probably long shot, but if he can put up PPG numbers in men's league, it is not that unrealistic to expect from him to dominate against players more or less his age group.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:16 PM
SPMaximus
Re-sign=/=Resign

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
It will be interesting to see if Barkov can break Forsberg record in points at WJC's from 1993. (7+24 in 7 games). I know it is probably long shot, but if he can put up PPG numbers in men's league, it is not that unrealistic to expect from him to dominate against players more or less his age group.
you forgot the

SPMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:19 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMaximus View Post
you forgot the
Yes, I did

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
OOEEL

Bit of an ignorant question but what about Alexander Ruuttu? I know he made the squad last year and had a few goals, any reason he wasn't involved in this year's squad?

Too old? Has he fallen off? Or is there just a really skilled batch of forwards pushing him out of consideration?

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
Bit of an ignorant question but what about Alexander Ruuttu? I know he made the squad last year and had a few goals, any reason he wasn't involved in this year's squad?

Too old? Has he fallen off? Or is there just a really skilled batch of forwards pushing him out of consideration?
Too old, he's a '92.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:03 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Finally some size with skill in key roles. Especially at defence + Barkov and Armia of course.

Goalies:
Janne Juvonen, Pelicans 6'1/183
Joonas Korpisalo, Jokerit 6'2/168
Eetu Laurikainen, Swift Current Broncos (WHL) 6'0/178 ( per WHL site )

Defencemen:
Rasmus Ristolainen, TPS, 6'3/207, Right
Mikko Vainonen, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL), 6'3/207, Left
Petteri Lindbohm, Jokerit, 6'2/209, Left
Olli Määttä, London Knights (OHL), 6'2/203, Left
Henri Auvinen, JYP-Akatemia, 6'2/198, Left
Esa Lindell, Jokerit, 6'2/192, Left
Joonas Valkonen, Blues Espoo, 6'2/190, Left
Ville Pokka, Kärpät, 6'0/198, Right
Juuso Riikola, KalPa, 6'0/157, Left
Juuso Vainio, HPK, 5'11/181, Right

Forwards:
C Aleksander Barkov, Tappara, 6'3/205, Left
RW Joel Armia, Ässät, 6'3/203, Right
LW Saku Salminen, Jokerit, 6'3/198, Left
F Thomas Nykopp, HIFK, 6'3/190, Left
LW Markus Hännikäinen, Jokerit 6'2/183, Left
F Henri Ikonen, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL), 6'0/196, Left
F Robert Leino, HPK 6'0/176, Right
W Miikka Salomäki, Kärpät, 5'11/198, Left
LW Markus Granlund, HIFK, 5'11/172, Left
C Teuvo Teräväinen, Jokerit, 5'11/165, Left
RW Matti Lamberg, Jokerit 5'11/165, Right
F Miro Aaltonen, Blues, 5'10/165, Left
W Artturi Lehkonen, KalPa 5'10/152, Left
F Juuso Ikonen, Blues 5'9/170, Right
W Henrik Haapala, Tappara, 5'9/142, Left
RW Ville Järveläinen, Peliitat 5'5/148, Right

Added sizes, handnesses and most probable positions.
Wow a finnish team with size seriously though looks to have more depth than previous years though maybe not as much high end talent. Well, if you exclude Granland then then they are the deepest team in years imo.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:26 PM
ALI

Imo

Teravainen Granlund Lehkonen
Salomaki Barkov Armia

and i'd take mi.Granlund or Monahan any day over Barkov

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:00 AM
QnebO

Lehkonen is Amazing. I think he hasn't score us much as he's effort and skills would suggest this season, but the playing is great. He can slow the whole game speed down and then make a suprising pass right on tape allmost every time.. Hes very clever player.

Lehkonen - Barkov - Armia

I think first line would be amazing.. very clever, skilled line that would have the shooting enthusiasm in Armia too, plus some size in Barkov and Armia and probably solid two way line too.

Last edited by QnebO: 12-04-2012 at 12:10 AM.
QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:51 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

What we're looking at, roughly (bolded players are locks) :

Goaltenders
Korpisalo/Laurikainen
Juvonen

Korpisalo and Laurikainen likely form the playing tandem. No prediction on designated starter though yet.

OD
Määttä
Ristolainen
Pokka

Vainio/Riikola/Lindell

Määttä, Ristolainen and Pokka are the no-brainer picks for puck-moving d-men. One, maybe two of Vainio, Riikola and Lindell will be picked as well, for full complement of blueline QB.

DD
Lindbohm
Valkonen/Vainonen/Auvinen

Lindbohm is a lock at this stage. Two more DD will likely get picked from the remaining trio.

Forward lineups
Salomäki - Granlund - Armia
Teräväinen - Barkov - Lehkonen
/Haapala
H.Ikonen/Nykopp - Aaltonen - J.Ikonen/Haapala (or Lehkonen, if Haapala plays on Barkov's wing)
Hännikäinen - Salminen - Lamberg

1st line: The 93s lead the way. Last tour, plus plenty of experience and chemistry from earlier years.

2nd line: The Future. Next year's top line going through the motions. Very dangerous this time around, potentially devastating in 2014.

3rd line: Depending on final complement, more like a 2B line. This is where it gets hairy. Plenty of options and some guys who by all means deserve to be there are up for a disappointment. Nykopp or H.Ikonen will bring some grit into this line, while Haapala and J.Ikonen battle for the other winger slot. Both won't make it, at least into the regular lineup, as they're too much cut from the same cloth. Ikonen has the skill edge, but Haapala has more versability.

4th line: Very solid shutdown line. 'Nuff said. Other possible options include Leino, Nykopp and H.Ikonen.

Last edited by FiLe: 12-04-2012 at 03:26 PM.
FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:23 AM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
Imo

Salomaki Barkov Armia

U talk about Mi.G and put Ma.G infront of Barkov? I would take Barkov over MiG any day of the week. Barkovs stats and overall game is much better than MiG:s at same age. MiG was on a stacked team when Barkov is not. Barkov also has size on his side. Well, what the hell do scouts and professional teams know - they should call you...

jonlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
Imo

Salomaki Barkov Armia

Out of Teräväinen, Granlund and Lehkonen, I think only two can be placed on the same line at the most. None of them play a particularly good two-way game and they're all small. Lehkonen's way grittier than you'd expect based on his size, but he's still not exactly a power forward.

Are you talking about the current Mikael Granlund or him at 17? The 20-year-old Granlund is a somewhat proven drafted prospect who has worked on the issues he had, while Barkov is still a rather unproven and undrafted prospect, so it's obvious that Granlund's the safer choice at the moment. However, at 17, there were way more question marks surrounding Granlund than there are now for Barkov. If you'd rather take 17-year-old Granlund than Barkov at the same age, I don't know what to say.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
What are the chances the two Frontenacs make it? I'm assuming Mikko Vainonen has a decent chance while Henri Ikonen will likely not make it?

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:13 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karp View Post
What are the chances the two Frontenacs make it? I'm assuming Mikko Vainonen has a decent chance while Henri Ikonen will likely not make it?
I'd say both have an equally decent chance. Vainonen is in contest for two open DD slots with two other guys none of which have more prestige than he does, so if he outperforms even one of them, he has a good shot.

Ikonen could bring some grit to the table, which is in surprisingly short order this year, very atypical for Team Finland. Given how he was invited all the way from across the pond, I'm fairly sure the coach didn't do it just to give him a courtesy nod. He definitely has a playing chance, just like pretty much every other player in the current camp roster.

Only real longshot I can call out from that roster is Ville Järveläinen. Pretty skilled, yes, but it's not like we're grasping hard to find some this time around. Not particularly physical either, in fact the complete opposite. Smallest of the bunch, with only a 5' 5" frame. Was in Sundsvall, and was decent, but didn't exactly outplay anyone.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:45 AM
ReyHF
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subber View Post
Really dissappointed if Lindell will be on final roster. Has showed absolutely nothing so far this season. Bad on own end and not been succesful in offense.

Statistics from men's games:
SM-liiga 19 games, 0+0 and +/- -9
Mestis 10 game, 2+2 and +/- -5

Is that 3rd round pick the reason why many are putting him on their fantasy rosters?
Stats dont tell the whole story. What i've seen from Lindell in Jokerit, he's been quite good actually. Suprisingly strong defensively and some nice offensive instincts. He just didnt produce anything statswise. Should look great against other players his age, i expect him to put up some points too.

ReyHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Subber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
Stats dont tell the whole story. What i've seen from Lindell in Jokerit, he's been quite good actually. Suprisingly strong defensively and some nice offensive instincts. He just didnt produce anything statswise. Should look great against other players his age, i expect him to put up some points too.
I agree, that statistics isn't always the last truth, but in this case I have to say so. Every other regular defenseman in Jokerit has plus in their stats, and Jokerit are leading series, so Lindell cant hide under that fact, that his team would've been sucking.

Subber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subber View Post
Every other regular defenseman in Jokerit has plus in their stats, and Jokerit are leading series, so Lindell cant hide under that fact, that his team would've been sucking.
And just how many of those every other regular D-men have been just drafted? You just can't compare junior aged players to veteran professionals especially considering defensemen. I must say again: Mikko Koivu was a 0+1 player in SM-liiga, but in junior A league in the same season he had two points per game pace.

Just getting a chance in the SM-liiga is rare for a defenseman of that age, and Lindell held his own when he got to show his game. Again, d-men usually take longer to hit full potential.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:10 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
]You just can't compare junior aged players to veteran professionals especially considering defensemen.
But you can compare them to other junior-aged defensemen who are in a similar career situation. And there happens to be five others alone in this very camp roster. And all have clearly better stats than Lindell. One even plays for the same club team.

Of course, players thrive in different environments, so if Lindell gets picked to the final squad, he might still do fine for himself. But that argument of yours that he deserves extra rope for being junior aged and just trying to make it in SM-liiga? Ristolainen, Pokka, Lindbohm, Vainio and Auvinen say hi, and make your case leak like a sieve.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Subber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
And just how many of those every other regular D-men have been just drafted? You just can't compare junior aged players to veteran professionals especially considering defensemen. I must say again: Mikko Koivu was a 0+1 player in SM-liiga, but in junior A league in the same season he had two points per game pace.

Just getting a chance in the SM-liiga is rare for a defenseman of that age, and Lindell held his own when he got to show his game. Again, d-men usually take longer to hit full potential.
So should we pick up guys with bad statistics in hope that they will grow up as good as Mikko did? I won't say that Lindell doesnt have potential. Why take a risk with him? Finland already has great guys on blueline like Määttä, Pokka, Ristolainen. For 7th guy he wouldn't be in my opinion guy who to trust at own end, if someone of our key D-mans does suffer injury.

We need strong defense on our own end, especially by our weak goaltender situation. Hope I'm wrong with that, but If I consider in advance, we don't have strong goalies like we've had last two years, Aittokallio and Ortio. Hopefully somebody of our goalies finds great condition and makes game easier to our defensemans. Much better to start building defensive game when team can trust their goalie.

In my opinion Määttä, Pokka, Ristolainen, Lindbohm, Vainio, Vainonen and Valkonen are all ahead of Lindell in selections. Niklas Tikkinen would've also been, dont understand why he didn't get selection to camp.

If Lindell makes it to the final team, I really hope I'm wrong. Case closed by my side.

Subber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
That Top6 defence is pretty easy to build. Top end talents Määttä and Ristolainen to the 1st pair. Then two "2nd pairings" with big stay-at-home guys and right-handed puckmoving guys.

Määttä 6'2, Left - Ristolainen 6'3, Right
Vainonen 6'3, Left - Pokka 6'0, Right
Lindbohm 6'3, Left - Vainio 6'0, Right

Perfect.

4th pairing as you wish.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

I'm guessing that, providing he avoids any injury Oli Mattaa will play quite a high % of Ice time. Or infact play a lot of games?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:20 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Määttä 6'2, Left - Ristolainen 6'3, Right
Vainonen 6'3, Left - Pokka 6'0, Right
Lindbohm 6'3, Left - Vainio 6'0, Right
This, pretty much. Looks rock solid.

I'd still possibly take Lindell for 7th D, because even with all of his shortcomings, he is most versatile out of the ones that are left. Technically a puck-moving D-man, but has a body that can be utilized for more defense-oriented duties as well.

Or, if one wishes to forgo any injury padding, then Valkonen to have another DD for PK duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I'm guessing that, providing he avoids any injury Oli Mattaa will play quite a high % of Ice time. Or infact play a lot of games?
Yeah, Olli Määttä is a top pair guy for us, no doubt.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

Good to hear. Really hope he get's some game time and manages to develop into a top player.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:33 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

What do you guys think of how Lindbohm will do?

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:02 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
What do you guys think of how Lindbohm will do?
At this point of the season last year, Hakanpää was no better than Lindbohm and he ended up being a vital defenseman for us. If Lindbohm plays up to his abilities and even lifts it up a notch, he can be a very good defenseman for us.

YARR123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:05 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
At this point of the season last year, Hakanpää was no better than Lindbohm and he ended up being a vital defenseman for us. If Lindbohm plays up to his abilities and even lifts it up a notch, he can be a very good defenseman for us.
Really? Most Blues fans have been really excited by Hakanpää's development, and if Lindbohm is at that level, it's just another something to get excited about! Thanks

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote