HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Referees & Rules

Old
12-03-2012, 07:30 PM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Last night I had a linesman come over after the 1st period and yell at one of our defenceman because he "shot the puck at him" while he was standing at our blue line... I politely told him to gtfo out of the way then when the defenceman is trying to clear the puck. Shooting it off the glass is a standard play.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Last night I had a linesman come over after the 1st period and yell at one of our defenceman because he "shot the puck at him" while he was standing at our blue line... I politely told him to gtfo out of the way then when the defenceman is trying to clear the puck. Shooting it off the glass is a standard play.

Linesmen are supposed to stand on the blue line, Dmen are supposed to know that, there's also this thing called looking before you clear the puck.

Linesman has every right to be mad. Sorry, but as a linesman I've only ever been shot at by crap players at youth and beer league level, I NEVER get the puck shot at me while lining semi-pro.

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:50 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post

Linesmen are supposed to stand on the blue line, Dmen are supposed to know that, there's also this thing called looking before you clear the puck.

Linesman has every right to be mad. Sorry, but as a linesman I've only ever been shot at by crap players at youth and beer league level, I NEVER get the puck shot at me while lining semi-pro.
You're taught as a child to shoot it off the glass when you're in trouble... if you're a linesman you should know that.

The linesman has no right to be mad for a player making the right decision with the puck in any situation. And for the record the level is full of lower level junior players

Old
12-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Linesman are meant to stand there ground, and that means the player should keep his head up and not hit the stripey...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:17 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Linesman are meant to stand there ground, and that means the player should keep his head up and not hit the stripey...
Let's just say that both parties should be aware of the situation and leave it at that. I've never come close to hitting a ref while clearing the zone... usually, if anything, the puck will go by the ref's legs and he'll hop it or whatever.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:43 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
You're taught as a child to shoot it off the glass when you're in trouble... if you're a linesman you should know that.

The linesman has no right to be mad for a player making the right decision with the puck in any situation. And for the record the level is full of lower level junior players
But you are supposed to look where you're shooting it, you're supposed to bank it off the boards at an angle not take a clapper straight at the linesman. The linesman is supposed to be on the blue line and good smart defensemen know that and are aware of where the linesman is, and they know there's a chance the puck hits the linesman and the zone isn't cleared, so they make the play specifically to avoid hitting him.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 12-04-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old
12-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Let's just say that both parties should be aware of the situation and leave it at that. I've never come close to hitting a ref while clearing the zone... usually, if anything, the puck will go by the ref's legs and he'll hop it or whatever.
Yes I agree that when the puck isn't going all that fast and low on the ice you should be able to get out of the way like the situation you describe, but it sounds like in this situation the guy has just shot the puck hard directly toward the linesman.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Gino 14

It's usually fairly obvious to an official when someone is clearing a puck and when someone is shooting at them.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:26 AM
TieClark

The guy didn't shoot it at the ref, he was being forechecked and there was our winger and the other teams defender along the boards with the linesman behind all of the them. The D just shot it off the glass to get it out and the linesman got pissed that it ended up hitting him.

Also I should note this is fairly competitive hockey. Nobody here has played lower than "A" hockey and several players have played in the lower level juniour leagues so it's not beer leaguers.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
The guy didn't shoot it at the ref, he was being forechecked and there was our winger and the other teams defender along the boards with the linesman behind all of the them. The D just shot it off the glass to get it out and the linesman got pissed that it ended up hitting him.

Also I should note this is fairly competitive hockey. Nobody here has played lower than "A" hockey and several players have played in the lower level juniour leagues so it's not beer leaguers.
Did it hit the linesman directly or hit the glass first then the linesman? In that case it's easy to get out of the way and the linesman probably had his head up his ass, but you made it sound like the guy took a clapper directly at him

Old
12-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

I've seen refs and linesmen get hit with the puck in the NHL all the damn time. Blaming that on the player having his head up his ass or not looking is idiotic. Sometimes you have to blindly clear the puck around the boards, or high along the glass. Penalty kill, extended time pinned in your zone, whatever. If you've ever played hockey, you would know that. If the linesman is paying attention, he should have no issues getting out of the way.... Also, getting hit with pucks is a risk you take as soon as you step foot on the ice. Getting pissed off if you DO get hit with a puck is really stupid. Chalk it up to bad luck and move on.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
I've seen refs and linesmen get hit with the puck in the NHL all the damn time. Blaming that on the player having his head up his ass or not looking is idiotic. Sometimes you have to blindly clear the puck around the boards, or high along the glass. Penalty kill, extended time pinned in your zone, whatever. If you've ever played hockey, you would know that. If the linesman is paying attention, he should have no issues getting out of the way.... Also, getting hit with pucks is a risk you take as soon as you step foot on the ice. Getting pissed off if you DO get hit with a puck is really stupid. Chalk it up to bad luck and move on.
It's pretty difficult to get out of the way when the puck is fired directly at you at a very high speed. After he explained the situation better it seems this wasn't the case, but his first post and the reaction of the linesman made it seem that way.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:58 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Did it hit the linesman directly or hit the glass first then the linesman? In that case it's easy to get out of the way and the linesman probably had his head up his ass, but you made it sound like the guy took a clapper directly at him
Not really sure, the d was in the corner and shot it on an angle to the same side so it either went off the glass and hit him or it hit the linesman before it hit the glass. Either way nobody even though anything of it until the linesman came over to the bench pissed off at the intermission.

Wasn't a slapshot either.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:47 PM
mbhhofr

S**t happens.The only time that I got p*s*ed is after I got hit and the player shooting the puck hollered at me to "Get out of the way." That's when I would ask him if he thought that I enjoyed getting hit with the puck and if it happened again and he hollered at me, he would be the one who would be sorry.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
S**t happens.The only time that I got p*s*ed is after I got hit and the player shooting the puck hollered at me to "Get out of the way." That's when I would ask him if he thought that I enjoyed getting hit with the puck and if it happened again and he hollered at me, he would be the one who would be sorry.
This is what annoys me more than the puck actually hitting me. The best ones are when the defenseman has time and actually looks up and looks directly at you, and then proceeds to shoot the puck there anyway and like I said, this only happens with crap players and kids.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
While I don't disagree with everything you said, this part sounds pretty ridiculous.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
When I was a kid we used to play in Charles Schulz's rink in CA a few times a year. We used to "clear" the puck at him and "love tap" his shins on face offs. He drew great cartoons and was a nice man but he was the biggest homer ref of all time. Visitors won zero faceoffs in his building. He would always drop the puck between my feet so I couldn't reach it or ask me a question and then drop it when I answered.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Yeah I jump or whatever myself... And if I get hit I man up and deal with it!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Malreg

I'm hoping some referees can chime in on this next one and let me know what the rule should be. This happened in my Bantam CC game tonight.

The penalty box was right next to our bench. It's the 2nd period so we have the long line change to deal with. That means the door for the defense was about 5 feet into the neutral zone, where the door for the forwards was about 15 feet or whatever into the offensive zone. We had a guy in the box and his penalty was expiring. We instructed him to come straight to the bench so we could put another player on.

As his penalty expires, our players are starting to rush up the ice with the puck. The player exits the penalty box and enters through the defense door, which is still in the neutral zone. If our forward would have jumped over the boards right away, he would have put the play offside, so he sat on the edge of the boards waiting for the play to come into the zone, he never touched the ice. As our players entered the zone the linesman called it offside since our forward was sitting on the boards.

What is the ruling on this? When does the player become an eligible player? We only had 4 guys on the ice since the guy coming out of the box had gotten off the ice, and the player to replace him had not stepped foot on the ice yet. We tried to get an explanation from the referee, but all he did was tell us that he was going to call us for too many men if it wasn't called offside...?

I guess this is sort of a grey area?

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 08:42 PM
WalterWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
I'm hoping some referees can chime in on this next one and let me know what the rule should be. This happened in my Bantam CC game tonight.

The penalty box was right next to our bench. It's the 2nd period so we have the long line change to deal with. That means the door for the defense was about 5 feet into the neutral zone, where the door for the forwards was about 15 feet or whatever into the offensive zone. We had a guy in the box and his penalty was expiring. We instructed him to come straight to the bench so we could put another player on.

As his penalty expires, our players are starting to rush up the ice with the puck. The player exits the penalty box and enters through the defense door, which is still in the neutral zone. If our forward would have jumped over the boards right away, he would have put the play offside, so he sat on the edge of the boards waiting for the play to come into the zone, he never touched the ice. As our players entered the zone the linesman called it offside since our forward was sitting on the boards.

What is the ruling on this? When does the player become an eligible player? We only had 4 guys on the ice since the guy coming out of the box had gotten off the ice, and the player to replace him had not stepped foot on the ice yet. We tried to get an explanation from the referee, but all he did was tell us that he was going to call us for too many men if it wasn't called offside...?

Found this in Hockey Canada's Rule Book:

Rule 10.8 Offsides

Situation 20
When a penalty is over, the Penalty Timekeeper should open the penalty box door. Even though the player coming out of the box would be off-side, the fact that he may wait until the puck crosses the blue line to come on the ice would not change the fact that he is still offside. As soon as the Penalty Timekeeper opens the penalty box door, the player is considered offside.

I don't know if this still applies to regular benches, but it would make sense if it did.

WalterWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:33 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post

According to the referee seminar (USA Hockey) I went to where this question was asked, it's measured by the skate blades. If he was sitting on the boards and hadn't stepped on the ice yet it shouldn't have been called.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
According to the referee seminar (USA Hockey) I went to where this question was asked, it's measured by the skate blades. If he was sitting on the boards and hadn't stepped on the ice yet it shouldn't have been called.
This is correct, if his blade hasn't yet touched the ice he isn't offside. It would be no different to if the door was open and he just stood there waiting

Old
12-23-2012, 07:14 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
Found this in Hockey Canada's Rule Book:

Rule 10.8 Offsides

Situation 20
When a penalty is over, the Penalty Timekeeper should open the penalty box door. Even though the player coming out of the box would be off-side, the fact that he may wait until the puck crosses the blue line to come on the ice would not change the fact that he is still offside. As soon as the Penalty Timekeeper opens the penalty box door, the player is considered offside.

I don't know if this still applies to regular benches, but it would make sense if it did.
I don't think the same applies. Penalty benches are a special scenario because as soon as the door is open the penalty has expired and the player becomes active regardless of whether his feet are on the ice or not.

It seems odd that a penalty box would be in an offside position though

Old
12-26-2012, 10:53 AM
jw2

Quote:

This is what I don't like about refs, summed up.

Listen, you are there to ref the game, you are not IN the game.

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:51 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
This is what I don't like about refs, summed up.

Listen, you are there to ref the game, you are not IN the game.
Referees and Linesmen are a part of the game and have every right to be on the ice. They are there to maintain order when players with your mindset can't control themselves or break the rules. Sometimes, when a player shoots the puck without looking, they hit the official. Sometimes when they shoot the puck to try and score a goal, they hit the goal post. By your reasoning, there shouldn't be goal posts.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote