HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), players in the system, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
It's a developmental league. I don't think anybody has ever disputed that, but it's not like there isn't good hockey being played down there.
Sure there's good hockey, but it takes the fun out of following a league.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:27 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Sure there's good hockey, but it takes the fun out of following a league.
Agree to disagree. I kind of like watching the young guys come up through the system. It was awesome watching Richards and Carter make the run to the Calder Cup before they broke into the NHL.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:30 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Not sure, but Stolarz is not invited, according to....him.
Gotcha, thanks. It always seems like Flyer's prospects usually have very little representation at the WJC.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
It's a developmental league. I don't think anybody has ever disputed that, but it's not like there isn't good hockey being played down there.

Also, does Ghost appear to be a lock for the U.S. team? I haven't browsed enough, but I thought I remembered him impressing the coaches at some point.
From what I've read, Ghost is a lock. I've seen him projected as a top 4 defenseman on that team.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Agree to disagree. I kind of like watching the young guys come up through the system. It was awesome watching Richards and Carter make the run to the Calder Cup before they broke into the NHL.
So do I. But that's the thing. To me, AHL teams are just a bunch of mercenaries put together from all parts of the world and with no emotional or any other connection to the AHL club other than their contract. It's not like in Europe, where teams that participate in national championships also have their own hockey schools and players start playing there at an early age and play for their youth teams. That's what I call young guys coming up through the system. And even though I've grown to like CHL more, as well, that, too, doesn't seem right, as the teams don't actually grow players from the ground, but rather "buy" them. And that would be fine if the league wasn't a feeder league and had at least a semblance of its own importance. But when that's not the case, I find it hard to find appeal in it.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:13 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Trenton is ONLY a Flyers affiliate. The Devils gave up their ECHL affiliation last summer.
oh ok. for some reason i thought they were splitting it with NJ. I honestly dont keep up with the ECHL as much as I do with the AHL.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:39 AM
RussianRocket10

Quote:
Gotcha, thanks. It always seems like Flyer's prospects usually have very little representation at the WJC.
Because we never have good enough prospects.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:48 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Because we never have good enough prospects.
thats what trading away 1st and 2nd round picks most years gets you. A below average prospect group.
yeah they were able to get a guy like Matt Read and we have hopes for Gus, but at some point you need to start keeping your high draft picks for multiple years in a row. I know some people arent worried about it because the core is young, but that is still no excuse to have the poor overall prospect group.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:51 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
It certainly hasn't helped our situation on defense. We have to buy all our NHL d-men.

Of course, we seem incapable of developing them to begin with, so it probably makes no difference.

12-04-2012, 02:23 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
It certainly hasn't helped our situation on defense. We have to buy all our NHL d-men.

Of course, we seem incapable of developing them to begin with, so it probably makes no difference.
There is hope that Terry Murray will turn things around in Adirondack now. So maybe they should seriously consider taking a top notch defensive prospect at the next draft.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:03 AM
RussianRocket10

Our prospect pool is always near the bottom of the league.

EDIT: USA has released their preliminary roster for the WJC and Gostisbehere is on the list.

Last edited by RussianRocket10: 12-04-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old
12-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

Ghost made the prelim roster. No surprise.

He's projected to be a top 4 dman on the team as of now.

Very excited about him. He's 3rd in NCAA D1 scoring among dmen.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Prongo
Beer

Let's hope Ghost doesn't turn out to be like every other Flyers defensive prospect since I have been born. You would think that one would become a star right??? Just one??

Old
12-04-2012, 09:54 AM
RussianRocket10

How much weight does he need to put on? He's a smaller guy like Timonen. Every source I check has him at a different weight. Eliteprospects has 165, the preliminary roster has him at 167, and USCHO's website has him at 170.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

Kimmo is listed right around 195. I would think he would need to be right near that or a little under to sustain the overall impact of NHLers. So maybe 20 pounds in 2/3 years?

Old
12-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

Yeah, he definitely has to pack on some lbs/muscle before he hits professional ice.

He's probably my favorite prospect, though.

I think he has 2nd pairing, PP QB upside. Average defensively because of his frame, but not really a liability because from what I've read, he has a good stick and is solid positionally.

He's such a dynamic offensive dman though, which is why I'm intrigued.

Really excited to watch him in the WJC this winter (if he makes it, which is looking like a lock at this time).

Old
12-04-2012, 10:53 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
thats what trading away 1st and 2nd round picks most years gets you. A below average prospect group.
yeah they were able to get a guy like Matt Read and we have hopes for Gus, but at some point you need to start keeping your high draft picks for multiple years in a row. I know some people arent worried about it because the core is young, but that is still no excuse to have the poor overall prospect group.
That and they usually take projects in the later rounds that just aren't good enough to play in the WJC at 19.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:14 AM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Let's hope Ghost doesn't turn out to be like every other Flyers defensive prospect since I have been born. You would think that one would become a star right??? Just one??
Pitkanen?

Old
12-04-2012, 12:30 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
The Devils no longer have an ECHL affiliate. Most of their players land in Trenton if they need a spot (Wedgewood, Nagy, now K. Zajac). They also have a couple players in Elmira. But with no official affiliate, they have no sway over their players' playing time.

As much as the ECHL is a developmental league now (moreso than the brawler beer league that it used to be), the teams obviously still try to compete and win...which is why Wedgewood is getting starts.
Oh, I see. I wonder why they don't have an official affiliate are they the only team without one?

Old
12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post

well it doesnt help that management doesnt know the meaning of patience. Of course that trickles down to the fanbase as well.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:58 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
That and they usually take projects in the later rounds that just aren't good enough to play in the WJC at 19.
yeah that Klotz pick was freakin brilliant lol

Old
12-04-2012, 01:05 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
Pitkanen?
Pitkanen is good, but not a star

Old
12-04-2012, 01:15 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Technically, you could make a case that Coburn was developed by the Flyers. Yes, he was drafted by Atlanta, but he really didn't do much but bounce back and forth between Atlanta and Chicago of the AHL. 2006 - 2007 would have been considered his rookie year and he pretty much split the year with Philadelphia and Atlanta (20 games in Philly, 29 games in Atlanta). Anyways, I get what you're saying about drafting a defenseman and grooming him and having him become a star. It's too bad that Pitkanen hated it here and that the Flyers had to give up on Sbisa because both would look pretty good on the blue line right now.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:32 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Technically, you could make a case that Coburn was developed by the Flyers. Yes, he was drafted by Atlanta, but he really didn't do much but bounce back and forth between Atlanta and Chicago of the AHL. 2006 - 2007 would have been considered his rookie year and he pretty much split the year with Philadelphia and Atlanta (20 games in Philly, 29 games in Atlanta). Anyways, I get what you're saying about drafting a defenseman and grooming him and having him become a star. It's too bad that Pitkanen hated it here and that the Flyers had to give up on Sbisa because both would look pretty good on the blue line right now.
I do that sbisa trade 11 times out of 10..

I agree with the coburn argument though, we really have brought him along. He goes BEAST mode in the playoffs! I think this year he would've been our best defenseman, and thats not a shot at our D.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
I do that sbisa trade 11 times out of 10..

I agree with the coburn argument though, we really have brought him along. He goes BEAST mode in the playoffs! I think this year he would've been our best defenseman, and thats not a shot at our D.
Well I think the ducks do it 11 out of 10 times also. It set us up during that time and made the ducks golden in the future. They got sbisa who is looking like a top 4 defender and etem who looks to be a pretty good player. The other pick is Moore who is looked at as a #4 defender for the jackets.

Closed Thread