HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Downie question

Old
05-23-2006, 02:35 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Downie question

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I was just wondering what people think about Downie and how good he will really be. I see varying profiles, some list him as the RW and some list him as a center. Using Richards and Carter as a comparison, does he project to be better or worse then these two or somewhere in the middle? He seems to have great passing and set up skills and has come up big when his team needed it. Is he someone that will be a 3rd line center in the NHL or could he potentially be the playmaker for Gagne on the first line or the playmaking RW the Carter and Umberger line needs?

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Put it this way, if Downie could skate better, he would have went way before Philly drafted. He seems to set up or score goals when you really need them, including game winners. He's a tenacious checker who usually comes out of the corner battles with the puck. The bigger the game, the better he plays.

Definately closer to Richards, not at all like Carter. More like a cross between Richards and the bearded guy from the Canadian Tire commercials. Talented playmaker, with some scoring skills, leadership, not a great skater, and extremely irritating.

Don't see him being a first line guy because he lacks speed. He has everything else though.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 03:35 PM
donelikedinner

he's got super pest written all over him. and when you just can't stand him any more, he'll score a goal or set one up.

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 04:32 PM
BringBackStevens

I'm interested in whether they want him to play RW with richards or if they are expecting to put him as a 3rd line center

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 02:47 PM
krantan

In all-star events he is typically a right wing, I think there is a good chance thats where he ends up here.

I often picture a third line of Eager - Richards - Downie, (eta 07-08) but here might be some footspeed issues.

krantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 03:32 PM
psukan

I hope ends up like Carter/Richards/Eager, but I am afraid he might end up like Billy Tibbetts.

psukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 05:04 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by psukan
I hope ends up like Carter/Richards/Eager, but I am afraid he might end up like Billy Tibbetts.

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 05:44 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
That does not even warrant a legit response

Old
05-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Tim Pinaccio? Is that you?

Yup, Downie is definitely going to become a rapist.

And to stay on topic, I think he'll play RW in the NHL.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Tim Pinaccio? Is that you?

Yup, Downie is definitely going to become a rapist.

And to stay on topic, I think he'll play RW in the NHL.
He has the same sort of issues with his temper, I could see his NHL career go down the toilet quite easily.

Ive been very impressed with what Ive seen in the memorial cup though.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 06:49 PM
BringBackStevens

i don't know, i havent seen a ton of downie, but from what ive seen i think he'll be able to handle himself just fine in the nhl

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 07:10 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
He has the same sort of issues with his temper, I could see his NHL career go down the toilet quite easily.

Ive been very impressed with what Ive seen in the memorial cup though.
Todd Bertuzzi and Darcy Tucker seem to have had a good career despite their tempers and dirty play. The fact is that this guy is what, like 19 years old? He is still a kid. To compare him to Tibbets who had off the ice problems all the time and didnt have anywhere near the skill of Downie is just flat out ignorant and dumb.

Old
05-27-2006, 04:06 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
This is on Hockeysfuture.com, I haven't read it yet but here goes:

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php...readed&order=0

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2006, 12:19 PM
SpItFiReZ

He's a Steve Ott clone....may not have the hands Otter did but damn are they pests.

SpItFiReZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2006, 02:18 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't see Downie's skating ability holding him back at all. Everyone said the same thing about Richards and he seems to be ok. Downie doesn't labour like Handzus does when he skates. If anything, Downie has underrated hockey sense. You just can't teach someone to be in the right place at the right time.

The only real thing I could see Downie having to work on is how to keep that temper of his in check. He sometimes blows off the handle too quickly. He needs to learn that he's most effective when he's getting under people's skin and that he can often draw people into penalties and he needs to take advantage of that. As well, Steve has some serious skill in his game. He doesn't have hands of stone, he can see the ice real well, and he makes great passes.

Hopefully when he gets to Philadelphia, someone there takes him under their wing and provides some much needed mentorship to the kid. I think that's what he needs more than anything. It's become quite clear that Windsor was just an unhealthy environment and the move to Peterborough did Steve a lot of good. Maybe Dick Todd can get the most out of him in 06-07 and make him ready to play in Philadelphia in 07-08

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2006, 03:35 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I don't see Downie's skating ability holding him back at all. Everyone said the same thing about Richards and he seems to be ok. Downie doesn't labour like Handzus does when he skates. If anything, Downie has underrated hockey sense. You just can't teach someone to be in the right place at the right time.

The only real thing I could see Downie having to work on is how to keep that temper of his in check. He sometimes blows off the handle too quickly. He needs to learn that he's most effective when he's getting under people's skin and that he can often draw people into penalties and he needs to take advantage of that. As well, Steve has some serious skill in his game. He doesn't have hands of stone, he can see the ice real well, and he makes great passes.

Hopefully when he gets to Philadelphia, someone there takes him under their wing and provides some much needed mentorship to the kid. I think that's what he needs more than anything. It's become quite clear that Windsor was just an unhealthy environment and the move to Peterborough did Steve a lot of good. Maybe Dick Todd can get the most out of him in 06-07 and make him ready to play in Philadelphia in 07-08
Hopefully as he matures, he can get the temper under control. He is still a kid.