HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Craig's List - 2013 Draft - December 4, 2012

Old
12-04-2012, 04:50 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Seriously is William Carrier locker room cancer and secretly a woman or something?

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:59 PM
joe89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
He said on a podcast a few weeks ago that Wennberg could creep into his top 20.
He happened to catch Wennberg live when he scored a hattrick too. Although Wennberg has been red hot for the last month or so and was one of Sweden's best in the U20 tourney aswell. Wennberg has 5 more goals(and points) than Aberg on the same team, for example.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:30 PM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Seriously is William Carrier locker room cancer and secretly a woman or something?
Yep, absolutely agree!

Wonder if Button will put MacKinnon at #1 in any of his future rankings and atleast by the end...

I don't understand Zadorov being that high. He doesn't have huge upside, but is solid.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's been left off multiple lists.

I've been wondering the same thing as for all intents and purposes he should be a first rounder.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

No Fasching?

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:41 PM
That

Good list for the most part. I'm really surprised that Zadorov is that high. Personally I prefer Nurse more. I also prefer the two WHL defenceman, Morrissey and Pulock, over him as well, by a quite a large margin.

Zadorov is a good player who has a very intriguing game. The combination of raw skills, size, and physicality certainly make the decision understandable though.

Quote:

While I don't think that he should be that low (actually he should be much higher), I think it's fairly justifiable. I'm a huge fan of Carrier and he's one of my favourite prospects for this years draft, but he has good reasons for being that low and being ranked out of the first round at times.

Carrier tries too hard at times. I know that sounds absolutely crazy, but it's true. He has a great motor and plays hard all the time, but at times it becomes a weakness of his. He tries to go end-to-end a lot and shoots the puck constantly. He has to use his teammates more and quit trying to do so much. There's a handful of times a night where he gains the zone and shoots when he has teammate who seems to have a better scoring chance. The part that frustrates me with that is he has great vision and is a good passer, but he just doesn't do it enough. I think he's a victim of being on a bad team, so he doesn't trust that his teammates can finish that chances that he creates. When Carrier simplifies his game and makes it a simple, north-south game he plays his best.

For what it's worth, when this list was published he was in the middle of a 5 game pointless streak. However he just snapped it by picked up an assist by firing the puck in a crowd on the power play.

Last edited by That: 12-04-2012 at 06:48 PM.
That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:16 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
No Fasching?
He's skilled and has good size but he's very inconsistent.

12-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
The night Button was in Cape Breton to watch Carrier, he was awful. He tried to make plays by himself and definitely was aware of the scouts in the building and just played terrible. He's been a little off with 1 point in his last 6-7 games now.

I've been throwing Carriers name into threads for over a year trying to give him some attention and now guys like you make me want to talk down Carrier because I know you are basing your love for him off stats alone. He could easily be a 1st round pick but your trying to make him sound like god when he's been playing brutal for 3-4 weeks (This makes me say you base your love for him off stats alone.)

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Good list for the most part. I'm really surprised that Zadorov is that high. Personally I prefer Nurse more. I also prefer the two WHL defenceman, Morrissey and Pulock, over him as well, by a quite a large margin.

Zadorov is a good player who has a very intriguing game. The combination of raw skills, size, and physicality certainly make the decision understandable though.

While I don't think that he should be that low (actually he should be much higher), I think it's fairly justifiable. I'm a huge fan of Carrier and he's one of my favourite prospects for this years draft, but he has good reasons for being that low and being ranked out of the first round at times.

Carrier tries too hard at times. I know that sounds absolutely crazy, but it's true. He has a great motor and plays hard all the time, but at times it becomes a weakness of his. He tries to go end-to-end a lot and shoots the puck constantly. He has to use his teammates more and quit trying to do so much. There's a handful of times a night where he gains the zone and shoots when he has teammate who seems to have a better scoring chance. The part that frustrates me with that is he has great vision and is a good passer, but he just doesn't do it enough. I think he's a victim of being on a bad team, so he doesn't trust that his teammates can finish that chances that he creates. When Carrier simplifies his game and makes it a simple, north-south game he plays his best.

For what it's worth, when this list was published he was in the middle of a 5 game pointless streak. However he just snapped it by picked up an assist by firing the puck in a crowd on the power play.
I mean I've watched him a couple times and watched a lot of his highlights because I find it mind boggling that this guy who at times this season has gone toe to toe offensively with the guy who could go first overall in the same league on a weaker team and I've only seen a few lists where he's even in the top 30 and only like 2 where he was in the top 20 and they were fan made. It should be about the overall toolbox backed up by numbers. Carrier has no choice but to (no pun intended) carry his team on his own. And this desire to do too much too fast isn't some kind of incurable cancer in a player's game. I've seen plenty of prospects who had that problem and went on to have decent to great success at the national level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
The night Button was in Cape Breton to watch Carrier, he was awful. He tried to make plays by himself and definitely was aware of the scouts in the building and just played terrible. He's been a little off with 1 point in his last 6-7 games now.

I've been throwing Carriers name into threads for over a year trying to give him some attention and now guys like you make me want to talk down Carrier because I know you are basing your love for him off stats alone. He could easily be a 1st round pick but your trying to make him sound like god when he's been playing brutal for 3-4 weeks (This makes me say you base your love for him off stats alone.)
I won't lie I'm basing a lot of it on the stats, I don't have the money or time to keep tabs on all junior players out there, but I've streamed two Q games where Cape Breton was playing and I've checked most of his highlights (better than nothing) when I would get bored and I still see a top 30 quality there.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:32 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfan View Post
Yep, absolutely agree!

Wonder if Button will put MacKinnon at #1 in any of his future rankings and atleast by the end...

I don't understand Zadorov being that high. He doesn't have huge upside, but is solid.
eh, you need to watch more of Zadorov then. Kid is a physical specimen at 6'5 230 and can really move for a guy his size. His offense is really picking up in London and he's starting to get looks on the PP.

Only 4 pts through Sept/Oct but then 7 in November alone - and it's not even that he looks that much better, coaching staff is simply giving him a chance now.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:38 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Pretty good list. I think JT Compher is a little high (as is Zadorov, but I could see why someone would really love his game and put him there), and I think Horvat and Burakowsky will both find their way back into the top 30 by the next list

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
No Hudson Fasching in the top 60 surprised me a little. I know he's fallen out of most lists, but I'd still consider him a 2nd round guy.

He has all the tools to become a great player.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:18 AM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Good work as always although he has WHL big men, such as Kanzig, Wheaton, and Geertsen significantly higher than I do. Interesting to see how it all plays out.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:14 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
I had a friend point out that Wennberg's birthdate is Sept. 22/95. Can anyone confirm that? If so, wouldnt he be eligible in 2014 and not 2013?

Edit: Elite Prospects has him born Sept 22/94. Maybe Craig mistakenly put 95 instead of 94?

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 12-05-2012 at 01:25 AM.
I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:30 AM
WonderTwinsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I had a friend point out that Wennberg's birthdate is Sept. 22/95. Can anyone confirm that? If so, wouldnt he be eligible in 2014 and not 2013?

Edit: Elite Prospects has him born Sept 22/94. Maybe Craig mistakenly put 95 instead of 94?
It's actually September 22/1994.

WonderTwinsUnite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:51 AM
RJQuack

Quote:
Carrier's been playing terrible as of late, and hasn't returned to form (doing too much). He ended his pointless streak last night, but he also had an injury where he puck to the leg and it apparently was pretty swollen.... I believe he has all the tools to go in round 1, as I'm a carrier kool-aid drinker lol.

However I don't see Zykov as a better player now. Same size, but I like what Carrier does more ATM.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:12 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Good list here by Button. His top 5 is the same as mine except I have Monahan in my top 5 and not Lindholm.

12-05-2012, 07:30 PM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
eh, you need to watch more of Zadorov then. Kid is a physical specimen at 6'5 230 and can really move for a guy his size. His offense is really picking up in London and he's starting to get looks on the PP.

Only 4 pts through Sept/Oct but then 7 in November alone - and it's not even that he looks that much better, coaching staff is simply giving him a chance now.
People always put too much stock in size though.

Boris Valabik is an example. Everyone expects the next Chara.

I'd take Jones,Pulock,Ristolainen,Hagg,Morrissey and Nurse before Zadorov.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:

Not true. I would gladly spend a 10-15 pick on a defenseman that has all the tools to play great defense at 25+ minutes a night against top lines, play 1st team PK, as well as well play on the 2nd PP because of his shot and mobility.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Czechexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Slepyshev hasn't progressed that much, he in TOP 60 seems to be a reach.
Where's Yakimov on the other hand?
I have noticed progress in Slepyshev´s game when seeing him this season. On the other hand Yakimov is brutal skater and isn´t smooth with the puck in his full speed(very slow). I´m not a fan of both but prefer Slepyshev over Yakimov for sure.

Czechexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:28 AM
VasDimops

Any Portland (or anyone else)fans that think Petan is way to low?

VasDimops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:52 AM
Tormentor

It seems that the list was updated with 61 ... 75:

61. Chris Bigras - Owen Sound (OHL) Feb. 22/95 D L 6'1/189 29 2 17 19 +21
62. Nicolas Petan - Portland (WHL) Mar. 22/95 C L 5'9/163 28 16 31 47 +29
63. Michael Downing - Dubuque (USHL) May 19/95 D L 6'3/190 14 0 4 4 +6
64. Eric Roy - Brandon (WHL) Oct. 24/94 D L 6'3/187 30 6 13 19 -20
65. Mirco Mueller - Everett (WHL) Mar. 21/95 D L 6'4/184 32 2 14 16 +3
66. Jordan Subban - Belleville (OHL) Mar. 3/95 D R 5'9/175 28 5 14 19 -5
67. Sergey Tolchinsky - Sault Ste. Marie (OHL) Feb. 3/95 RW L 5'8/152 28 11 13 24 +3
68. Tristan Jarry - Edmonton (WHL) Apr. 29/95 G L 6'2/178 7 3 1.50 .936 2
69. Hudson Fasching - USA NDTP (USHL) Jul. 28/95 RW R 6'2/213 20 5 7 12 +2
70. Maxim Mamin - CSKA 2 (Russia - MHL) Jan. 13/95 C L 6'1/183 26 5 7 12 -3
71. Saku Salminen - Jokerit (Finland - Elite) Oct. 20/94 C L 6'3/198 12 1 1 2 +1
72. Joose Antonen - JYP (Finland - Jr.) Apr. 28/95 LW R 6'2/183 2 2 2 4 -1
73. Dillon Heatherington - Swift Current (WHL) May 9/95 D L 6'3/196 30 2 9 11 +2
74. Luke Johnson - Lincoln (USHL) Sep. 19/94 C R 5'11/178 13 3 6 9 +2
75. Mike McCarron - USA NDTP (USHL) Mar. 7/95 RW R 6'5/228 19 1 7 8 +3

Link to the latest TSN Draftcentre Podcast about Craig's List.

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 12-06-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:53 PM
The Oncoming Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Good work as always although he has WHL big men, such as Kanzig, Wheaton, and Geertsen significantly higher than I do. Interesting to see how it all plays out.
Kanzig has improved his game big time. Last year he was a pylon - getting beaten to the outside regularly and making mistake after mistake. Now he's much more solid. Skates reasonably well for a very large kid, makes the safe play, okay first pass, decent physical game (although he could improve this for how big he is). Has eliminated most of the stupid mistakes. Still takes plenty of dumb penalties, but his game is improving rapidly. Last year he was a liability; this year he is a solid asset to the team. I see him moving up the charts as the season progresses (although his rating on this particular chart is likely too high at the moment). I see him as a late 2nd rounder. I liken him to Cory Sarich.

The Oncoming Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:44 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
He's skilled and has good size but he's very inconsistent.
I question his competitive drive, and he doesn't like to be hit.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:07 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:

Naming 1 big defenseman who didn't work out doesn't exactly prove any sort of point. Especially considering Zadorov only has 3 less points than Valabik's best OHL season in under half the games.

Being big is just the icing on the cake. He's extremely mobile for a guy his size and likes to join the rush. Take a look at this video. Big men aren't supposed to move like that.

He also crushes people. Last night alone he had at least 3 thunderous hits vs Niagara. He will cement himself as a sure top 12 pick, if not top 10 as the season wears on. He'll be on display in the WJC too with the big ice he's so accustomed to.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote