HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Markov signs for Vityaz Chekhov (KHL)

Old
12-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 50
Clearly a bit of a Krejci-Bruins complex with him, when surrounded by roughnecks you think you're tougher than you actually are. That said, good on him, a definite loss but props to him for dropping the mitts and staying on his feet.

Once the NHL gets back I'm quite confident that people will forget all about those freak knee injuries and remember what a force he is

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

vCash: 500
Definitely easy to forget that Markov was a top 10/15 defenseman in the NHL before his injury problems. if he can even get back to half of that, then the habs are in much better shape for when the NHL gets going again.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
Clearly a bit of a Krejci-Bruins complex with him, when surrounded by roughnecks you think you're tougher than you actually are. That said, good on him, a definite loss but props to him for dropping the mitts and staying on his feet.

Once the NHL gets back I'm quite confident that people will forget all about those freak knee injuries and remember what a force he is
Well, it's a loss because the other guy threw a whole whack of punches, but it's a draw because neither really landed any...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:37 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Definitely easy to forget that Markov was a top 10/15 defenseman in the NHL before his injury problems. if he can even get back to half of that, then the habs are in much better shape for when the NHL gets going again.
Never mind 10-15. He was top 5 IMO.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:25 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Never mind 10-15. He was top 5 IMO.
Was he ever top-5 in Norris voting? I think the best he did was 7th, in spite of being an offensive defenseman.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:29 PM
poetryinmotion

before getting injured, yes he was top5

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Was he ever top-5 in Norris voting? I think the best he did was 7th, in spite of being an offensive defenseman.
Who cares?
It can take years before getting recognized, especially if you're not flashy and the quiet type.
Unfortunately for him, he got injured right when he was establishing his reputation.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Boardish

IMO, Markov was easily the best PP QB in the league before his injuries.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:07 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Who cares?
It can take years before getting recognized, especially if you're not flashy and the quiet type.
Unfortunately for him, he got injured right when he was establishing his reputation.
Because we might benefit from some assessments not clouded by Habsland homerism.

We're a biased bunch. Markov wears our favorite jersey and we've all seen him rock a few hundred times.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:57 PM
habsfanatics

Markov was great and all, but never once was he a top 5 dman. Top 10 is being kind and top 15 is most likely where he was. There were at least 5-10 dman better than him nearly every single year, one or two years supposedly in the top 10 according to habs fans does not make him a top 10 dman and certainly doesn't explain top 5.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:06 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
The short term memory people have is scary. Markov is not even that old. He has a couple seasons left in the tank. He might be our best player when hockey starts again.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:19 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Markov was great and all, but never once was he a top 5 dman. Top 10 is being kind and top 15 is most likely where he was. There were at least 5-10 dman better than him nearly every single year, one or two years supposedly in the top 10 according to habs fans does not make him a top 10 dman and certainly doesn't explain top 5.
He was definitely top 10 from 2007-2008 to 2009-10. It's only three seasons but it was his prime and a lot of the "big guns" of today like Weber, Keith, Doughty were just coming into their own or were not even in the league yet.

No particular order:

Scott Niedermayer
Chris Pronger
Nick Lidstrom
Zdeno Chara (Marky gets the nod for sure over him in 07-08, probably 08-09 too)
Dion Phaneuf (was considered elite in 07-08, his game fell off in subsequent years)

Seriously. Other than that, who else challenged Markov in those years? Phaneuf was mostly hype. Chara was just becoming dominant. Pronger/Nieds started to lose a little dominance. At the time Brian Campbell and Dan Boyles stock was high, you could maybe put them in Markov's ball park..

Markov was HANDS DOWN a Top-10 defenseman back then, probably top-5. It really has nothing to do with Habs rose coloured glasses, he was that damn good. Looking at it in hindsight just further proves Habs fans were right to be pimping up Marky back then.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:24 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
The short term memory people have is scary. Markov is not even that old. He has a couple seasons left in the tank. He might be our best player when hockey starts again.
Very possible. The fact he's holding up well in the KHL and seems to be finding his game is very indicative that this has a chance of happening.

If Markov can even be 50% as good as he was, with him, Gorges and Subban on the Top 4 we are making the playoffs. You heard it here first. I also believe Markov is going to be instrumental in Emelin's long term development. I see alot of hidden offensive upside in that guy and I think playing and learning from Marky he can really flourish.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Habskrieg

Markov gets a Gordie Howe hat trick.

http://www.faceoff.com/sports/hockey...981/story.html

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
Markov gets a Gordie Howe hat trick.

http://www.faceoff.com/sports/hockey...981/story.html
So he did break some ribs - Which is nothing to panic about, because these things happy in hockey and cannot be blamed on being "injury prone". His knees seem to be holding up fine.

I hope we get to see Markov in the NHL soon so he can go back to being known for more than the injured guy.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:29 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
For what its worth Markov was often mentionned as a top5 defensemen by non-Habs fans here on HFboards some years ago. He was undoubtly and unquestionably a top10 defensemen then, anyone denying that has bad memory or is of the grass always greener elsewere type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB
Markov was HANDS DOWN a Top-10 defenseman back then, probably top-5. It really has nothing to do with Habs rose coloured glasses, he was that damn good. Looking at it in hindsight just further proves Habs fans were right to be pimping up Marky back then.
Wasn't there a stat back then that since the lockout until like, 2009 (or 2010?) the Habs systematically lost all games Markov did not play in and that if he played all games they would have been a top team nearly every year? I don't remember the specific stats but it was very impressive, he used to be such an important player for us.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
For what its worth Markov was often mentionned as a top5 defensemen by non-Habs fans here on HFboards some years ago. He was undoubtly and unquestionably a top10 defensemen then, anyone denying that has bad memory or is of the grass always greener elsewere type.

Wasn't there a stat back then that since the lockout until like, 2009 (or 2010?) the Habs systematically lost all games Markov did not play in and that if he played all games they would have been a top team nearly every year? I don't remember the specific stats but it was very impressive, he used to be such an important player for us.
"Since the lockout ended the Canadiens have lived and died with the health of Andrei Markov. Without him, their record resembles a lottery team, with him they are a Stanley Cup contender. During Markov's absence the Canadiens continually struggled to win games in regulation registering only 11 regulation wins in 61 games played, an abysmal 18%. With a healthy Markov that number jumps to 43% with 143 wins in 349 games. The Canadiens also lost close to 60% of their games in regulation without Markov (35 of 61) while losing only 115 of 349 games for only 33% of games he starts."

This only includes from 2006 to his knee injury in playoffs versus Pittsburgh lol... This does not include last two years.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...without-markov

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Et le But

It's pretty incredible that the same organization that used a first round draft pick on Eric Chouinard found Markov in the sixth round.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
"Since the lockout ended the Canadiens have lived and died with the health of Andrei Markov. Without him, their record resembles a lottery team, with him they are a Stanley Cup contender. During Markov's absence the Canadiens continually struggled to win games in regulation registering only 11 regulation wins in 61 games played, an abysmal 18%. With a healthy Markov that number jumps to 43% with 143 wins in 349 games. The Canadiens also lost close to 60% of their games in regulation without Markov (35 of 61) while losing only 115 of 349 games for only 33% of games he starts."

This only includes from 2006 to his knee injury in playoffs versus Pittsburgh lol... This does not include last two years.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...without-markov
Im not sure how winning 43% of our games with Markov would make us a "Stanley Cup contender" like mentionned in that quote... louzy stats analysis if you ask me.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
Im not sure how winning 43% of our games with Markov would make us a "Stanley Cup contender" like mentionned in that quote... louzy stats analysis if you ask me.
The stats are off. The Habs were easily a sub .400 team without Markov in his prime and a .600+ team when he was healthy. In that range. The exact number I forget but it was in that ballpark I'm positive of.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Because we might benefit from some assessments not clouded by Habsland homerism.

We're a biased bunch. Markov wears our favorite jersey and we've all seen him rock a few hundred times.
That's fine. I don't consider myself bias though. Maybe I'll be biased if I watch a game we're playing versus Boston, but generally speaking, I'm not. I don't get excited about our players like 99% of this fanbase.
I've had discussions about Markov with fans of other teams back when he was really stepping up his game, and some of them placed him top 5.
Was he an established top 5 Dman? I don't think so, but I think the debate was definitely there. I think Nied-Pronger and Lidstrom were the only three other Dman, you could say without any doubt, ahead of Markov.
Then people used to bring up Boyle, that's very similar to Markov, but I felt Markov was a notch better defensively and in his passing/vision, quarterbacking abilities.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:50 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Its obviously the wrong number otherwise the Habs would have a Leaf like playoff record in the last decade (ie none to speak of)

It might be 63% (almost 2/3)? It makes sense because they say, in the same text, that the Habs lost only 115 of 359 games (1/3) with him in the lineup.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:04 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Its obviously the wrong number otherwise the Habs would have a Leaf like playoff record in the last decade (ie none to speak of)

It might be 63%?
That stat exaggerates the impact, due to various coincidental circumstance.

He played 77, 82, and 78 games in 2006-07, 2007-08, and 2008-09. He then played 45, 7, and 13 games in the following 3 seasons. The stat is basically probing different eras of HABdom.

I find that a lot of hockey stats that TV analysts trot out are complete nonsense. They are correct numbers, but usually are due to pure chance, or are misinterpreted.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:24 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
That stat exaggerates the impact, due to various coincidental circumstance.

He played 77, 82, and 78 games in 2006-07, 2007-08, and 2008-09. He then played 45, 7, and 13 games in the following 3 seasons. The stat is basically probing different eras of HABdom.

I find that a lot of hockey stats that TV analysts trot out are complete nonsense. They are correct numbers, but usually are due to pure chance, or are misinterpreted.
The problem with the 7 and 13 game seasons is the fact that in 2010-11 with the emergence of Subban and the acquisition of Wiz we were prepared to weather the loss of Markov. This past season we contended with the loss of Hamrlik, Markov and then subsequently Gill and Spacek which for all their faults were adequate defensively.

Markov was probably the single most important player on our team from 06-10. We still lack proven defensive depth so he is probably still one of our most important players.

I agree with you that the stats don't paint the whole picture, but it still gives us a greater understanding of just how good Markov was. Had it been Craig Rivet missing that time, the results would've been a bit different I'm sure.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Gally11

Quote:
It's 143 regulation wins out of 349 I believe

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote