Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

Greinke to Dodgers (6 yr, 147 M)

Old
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PW52 View Post
Dodgers are trying their best to buy a championship. Hope they bust out bad. Hate them.
Giants had the 8th highest payroll to start 2012. Not exactly moneyball by your team....

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:08 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Giants had the 8th highest payroll to start 2012. Not exactly moneyball by your team....
And not exactly buying a championship either. The Dodgers are literally trying buy one.

SHAR KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
And not exactly buying a championship either. The Dodgers are literally trying buy one.
They're using their ample amounts of resources to acquire as much talent as they can. They'll pay their luxury taxes and other fees, so what's the big deal? If baseball has proven anything, money doesn't translate into winning. Just look at the A's and Rays.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:30 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
They're using their ample amounts of resources to acquire as much talent as they can. They'll pay their luxury taxes and other fees, so what's the big deal? If baseball has proven anything, money doesn't translate into winning. Just look at the A's and Rays.
Just makes me hate the dodgers more and hope they self destruct. Teams like the Giants, Rays, A's, etc. spent years rebuilding to get good. I have respect for those teams. The dodgers? Not so much.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Just makes me hate the dodgers more and hope they self destruct. Teams like the Giants, Rays, A's, etc. spent years rebuilding to get good. I have respect for those teams. The dodgers? Not so much.
I can definitely understand hating the Dodgers since you're a Giants fan, but I have a lot more respect for what they're doing with their money than I do for what Loria is doing.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Kershaw, Kemp, Ethier, Billigsley, the backbone of their roster is homegrown.

They were an above average team years back like the A's were. Difference is that they now have the financial flexibility to upgrade their roster, nothing is wrong with that. I think it's more of irrational hatred for the Dodgers, you being a Giants fan.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:41 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Kershaw, Kemp, Ethier, Billigsley, the backbone of their roster is homegrown.

They were an above average team years back like the A's were. Difference is that they now have the financial flexibility to upgrade their roster, nothing is wrong with that. I think it's more of irrational hatred for the Dodgers, you being a Giants fan.
Didn't the A's draft Ethier? I think they did i forgot.

I still hope their plans of buying a championship backfires and they get stuck with all those contracts for years to come. Nothing would make me happier.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Didn't the A's draft Ethier? I think they did i forgot.

I still hope their plans of buying a championship backfires and they get stuck with all those contracts for years to come. Nothing would make me happier.
But Ethier came to the Dodgers as a prospect, not as an established major leaguer. Plus, he spent some time in the Dodgers' AAA affiliate before being called up. And don't be mad that with the Dodgers' pocket, they can buy any free agent they want and at the same time, invest in rebuilding the farm system. Not many teams can do both at the same time. I guarantee you that just over a year ago when the Dodgers filed for bankruptcy, those were the jokes that you were making about the Dodgers. Now brace yourself for an ownership that wants to field a competitive team every single year. And how convenient that you forgot the Giants barely had any homegrown talent back in the Bonds era and they tried to "buy" championships.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Chazz Reinhold

For everyone crying about the Dodgers trying to buy a championship, I hope you've been paying attention to how they're completely revamping their scouting and development structure to facilitate prolonged success. They're not just spending money for now. For those of you that don't know, Frank McCourt decimated the Dodgers player development system. It was in a pathetic state when the Guggenheim guys bought the team.

Hiring people like Gerry Hunsicker, Bob Engle, Pat Corrales, and the numerous international scouts shows they're dedicated to renewing their prowess at scouting, drafting, and developing players. Obviously it will take years for the effects of these hirings to be noticed, so how else would you expect them to try to win? They're going to have to spend money now if they want to try and be a consistent winner until they can reap the rewards of their re-dedication to player development.

Check out the respected baseball people they've been adding to the organization this offseason:

http://www.truebluela.com/2012/11/12...-international

http://www.truebluela.com/2012/11/5/...l-assistant-gm

http://www.truebluela.com/2012/11/1/...ional-scouting

http://www.truebluela.com/2012/10/19...ffice-reaction

http://www.truebluela.com/2012/10/18...all-operations

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
Hamilton talks with rangers "on hold," at least for the moment. Texas appears focused on greinke

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:42 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Darvish, Greinke, Harrison... and they still have Ogando, Feliz and Lewis. Holland is trade bait if that happen.

or

Kershaw, Greinke, Beckett, Billingsley, Lilly, korean guy.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:07 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
But Ethier came to the Dodgers as a prospect, not as an established major leaguer. Plus, he spent some time in the Dodgers' AAA affiliate before being called up. And don't be mad that with the Dodgers' pocket, they can buy any free agent they want and at the same time, invest in rebuilding the farm system. Not many teams can do both at the same time. I guarantee you that just over a year ago when the Dodgers filed for bankruptcy, those were the jokes that you were making about the Dodgers. Now brace yourself for an ownership that wants to field a competitive team every single year. And how convenient that you forgot the Giants barely had any homegrown talent back in the Bonds era and they tried to "buy" championships.
That's nice and all, but aren't the dodgers trading away all of their prospects for these players? Also the giants weren't trying to buy championships during the roid era, completely different than the dodgers. Good for the Dodgers for having money, but it's pretty obvious that Magic and co. are trying to buy a championship to bring the fans back. Me being a Giants fan obviously hates it and that's why I'm rooting for them to fail. Cheers.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
That's nice and all, but aren't the dodgers trading away all of their prospects for these players? Also the giants weren't trying to buy championships during the roid era, completely different than the dodgers. Good for the Dodgers for having money, but it's pretty obvious that Magic and co. are trying to buy a championship to bring the fans back. Me being a Giants fan obviously hates it and that's why I'm rooting for them to fail. Cheers.
The prospects they traded weren't highly-touted. They still have Zach Lee and Chris Reed waiting in the wings. Not to mention that 21-year old Cuban will be ready in a couple of years. After all the **** that Dodgers fans put up with McCourt, can you blame the new owners for doing everything they can to win them back? If it means fielding a winning team every year, so be it. As for the Giants during the roid era, like I said, they didn't start relying on homegrown talent until the late 2000s. Guys like Lincecum, Bumgarner, and Posey were all products of sucky seasons since they were all top 10 picks. The Dodgers' only top 10 pick since the 2000s was Kershaw because they've never had a 4-year stretch of losing.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:36 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
The prospects they traded weren't highly-touted. They still have Zach Lee and Chris Reed waiting in the wings. Not to mention that 21-year old Cuban will be ready in a couple of years. After all the **** that Dodgers fans put up with McCourt, can you blame the new owners for doing everything they can to win them back? If it means fielding a winning team every year, so be it. As for the Giants during the roid era, like I said, they didn't start relying on homegrown talent until the late 2000s. Guys like Lincecum, Bumgarner, and Posey were all products of sucky seasons since they were all top 10 picks. The Dodgers' only top 10 pick since the 2000s was Kershaw because they've never had a 4-year stretch of losing.
True, guess my hate for the Dodgers got in the way. Also just because you have top 10 picks doesn't mean your going to draft a star. Giants drafted and developed pretty good. Giants starters who are homegrown right now are Posey, Cain/Lincecum/Bumgarner, Crawford, Belt, Sandoval, and Vogelsong was also drafted by the Giants. Pretty good.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
True, guess my hate for the Dodgers got in the way. Also just because you have top 10 picks doesn't mean your going to draft a star. Giants drafted and developed pretty good. Giants starters who are homegrown right now are Posey, Cain/Lincecum/Bumgarner, Crawford, Belt, Sandoval, and Vogelsong was also drafted by the Giants. Pretty good.
That still doesn't change the fact that the Dodgers have not had the luxury of getting top 10 picks like the Giants did in the late 2000s. Cain and the other guys that I already mentioned, yes, the Giants deserve credit for drafting developing them. Sandoval was an international free agent so he wasn't drafted by any means. Nevertheless, he was still a prospect that they had to develop so kudos to them. Now we get to the players that "developing" and "pretty good" shouldn't be used just yet. Brandon Crawford has light-hitting SS written all over him. Easily replaceable. Brandon Belt will be 25 next year and he still hasn't established himself and a reliable everyday 1B who can consistently hit for power. Looks like another James Loney. 2013 is his make-or-break season unless you have the patience to wait for him to become a late-bloomer. Vogelsong - Dude spent a lot of years with Pittsburgh after getting drafted by the Giants. He also went to Japan before coming back to the Giants. He was a journeyman before he suddenly found magic. Righetti deserves credit for that. Giants' player development? No. That'd be like the Red Wings counting Kyle Quincey as a "homegrown" player.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:30 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
That still doesn't change the fact that the Dodgers have not had the luxury of getting top 10 picks like the Giants did in the late 2000s. Cain and the other guys that I already mentioned, yes, the Giants deserve credit for drafting developing them. Sandoval was an international free agent so he wasn't drafted by any means. Nevertheless, he was still a prospect that they had to develop so kudos to them. Now we get to the players that "developing" and "pretty good" shouldn't be used just yet. Brandon Crawford has light-hitting SS written all over him. Easily replaceable. Brandon Belt will be 25 next year and he still hasn't established himself and a reliable everyday 1B who can consistently hit for power. Looks like another James Loney. 2013 is his make-or-break season unless you have the patience to wait for him to become a late-bloomer. Vogelsong - Dude spent a lot of years with Pittsburgh after getting drafted by the Giants. He also went to Japan before coming back to the Giants. He was a journeyman before he suddenly found magic. Righetti deserves credit for that. Giants' player development? No. That'd be like the Red Wings counting Kyle Quincey as a "homegrown" player.
Don't care what their stats are. They are homegrown and played a huge part in the giants success. SS is the weakest hitting position and like Sabean and Bochy said they don't care if Crawford hits because he is a future GG. Also Belt has been jerked around and I'm hoping he finally plays a full season at 1B, still has a ton of potential. I agree with Vogelsong/Righetti. Like i said they are homegrown players who helped the Giants win a WS and that's all that matters. And Cain was picked 25th overall not top 10.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Yeah, and where did I say Cain was a top 10 pick. That's why I only said Posey, Bumgarner, and Lincecu. My problem with you is that you keep implying that the Dodgers are only using "bought" players when in reality, they have homegrown key players like Kemp, Ethier, Kershaw, Billingsley, Jansen, AJ Ellis, and Gordon (since you like to brag about light-hitting shortstops). And as previously said, Zach Lee, Chris Reed and Yasel Puig are still developing.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:18 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
Yeah, and where did I say Cain was a top 10 pick. That's why I only said Posey, Bumgarner, and Lincecu. My problem with you is that you keep implying that the Dodgers are only using "bought" players when in reality, they have homegrown key players like Kemp, Ethier, Kershaw, Billingsley, Jansen, AJ Ellis, and Gordon (since you like to brag about light-hitting shortstops). And as previously said, Zach Lee, Chris Reed and Yasel Puig are still developing.
Gordon sucks, at least Crawford can field, Gordon can't hit or field. And the Dodgers core obviously isn't good enough to win which is why Magic and co. are trying to put all-stars at every position. He better hope it works. Giants core has proven it can win without big flashy players. Do you know the Dodgers 2013 payroll?

Old
12-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Gordon sucks, at least Crawford can field, Gordon can't hit or field. And the Dodgers core obviously isn't good enough to win which is why Magic and co. are trying to put all-stars at every position. He better hope it works. Giants core has proven it can win without big flashy players. Do you know the Dodgers 2013 payroll?

Like the Giants didn't get any help from other organizations, right? Let's see...Melky Cabrera during the regular season...Angel Pagan, Marco Scutaro, Hunter Pence, Barry Zito/ So please, stop acting like your team was at least 90% homegrown. Did you quickly forget that the 2010 team's key players in the playoffs also consisted of players like Aubrey Huff, Pat Burrell, and Edgar Renteria? Yeah, they weren't big free agent signings, but not exactly homegrown, either. So yeah, the Giants' "core" wasn't the sole reason why the Giants won the WS. And stop saying "Magic and co" as if Magic is the one in charge. It's Stan Kasten. As for putting all-stars at every position, it's more like "YOU better hope it doesn't work." The 2013 Dodger payroll will be close to $200 million and even more if they end up signing Greinke. Problem? FFS, their payroll was less than $100 million before all the blockbuster trades. And WTF is a "flashy" player? If you're a good player, you're a good player. You're really sounding insecure here, trying to explain how "the Giants are doing it with their homegrown players while the Dodgers just keep trying to buy championships (wrong) blah blah blah."

Old
12-04-2012, 11:01 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
Like the Giants didn't get any help from other organizations, right? Let's see...Melky Cabrera during the regular season...Angel Pagan, Marco Scutaro, Hunter Pence, Barry Zito/ So please, stop acting like your team was at least 90% homegrown. Did you quickly forget that the 2010 team's key players in the playoffs also consisted of players like Aubrey Huff, Pat Burrell, and Edgar Renteria? Yeah, they weren't big free agent signings, but not exactly homegrown, either. So yeah, the Giants' "core" wasn't the sole reason why the Giants won the WS. And stop saying "Magic and co" as if Magic is the one in charge. It's Stan Kasten. As for putting all-stars at every position, it's more like "YOU better hope it doesn't work." The 2013 Dodger payroll will be close to $200 million and even more if they end up signing Greinke. Problem? FFS, their payroll was less than $100 million before all the blockbuster trades. And WTF is a "flashy" player? If you're a good player, you're a good player. You're really sounding insecure here, trying to explain how "the Giants are doing it with their homegrown players while the Dodgers just keep trying to buy championships (wrong) blah blah blah."
lol calm down. No one will change my mind that the Dodgers are trying to buy a championship. Pathetic if you ask me. Dodgers are the 3rd best team in the division. God I really hate the Dodgers. They are trying their best to turn into the Yankees. I will watch the Giants and the awesome homegrown players go for 2 in a row while you watch a bunch of overrated $100M players self implode! Nice chatting with you btw. And also if the dodgers manage to indeed buy the 2013 championship i will come here and eat my crow. Unlikely though.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:13 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

As a giants fan I despise the dodgers. But they have the money with the new owners and the owners are willing to spend. Can't fault them for that. Half of that lineup will get the hr total of the giants.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:17 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
As a giants fan I despise the dodgers. But they have the money with the new owners and the owners are willing to spend. Can't fault them for that. Half of that lineup will get the hr total of the giants.
Giants don't need HR's to win games.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
lol calm down. No one will change my mind that the Dodgers are trying to buy a championship. Pathetic if you ask me. Dodgers are the 3rd best team in the division. God I really hate the Dodgers. They are trying their best to turn into the Yankees. I will watch the Giants and the awesome homegrown players go for 2 in a row while you watch a bunch of overrated $100M players self implode! Nice chatting with you btw. And also if the dodgers manage to indeed buy the 2013 championship i will come here and eat my crow. Unlikely though.
I understand how wishing your team had deep pockets feels... That's how I felt during the McCourt era.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
I dont mind the Dodgers opening up the pocket books for all of these signings but what makes me nervous is if they will cut bait when some of these big contracts dont work out. I really hope that the way they have handled Juan Uribe isnt an indication of what happens when players dont work out for us. The fact that he wasnt dfa'd last July was mind boggling.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I dont mind the Dodgers opening up the pocket books for all of these signings but what makes me nervous is if they will cut bait when some of these big contracts dont work out. I really hope that the way they have handled Juan Uribe isnt an indication of what happens when players dont work out for us. The fact that he wasnt dfa'd last July was mind boggling.

Uribe was a desperation move by McCourt to make it look like they were "busy" in the 2010-11 offseason. That signing was a fraud.