HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XII: Come at the king, you best not miss

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 08:30 PM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
@ChrisBottaNHL: Text from player source: "You were wrong. Wasn't a waste. Will know more by Thursday. Good meeting. I'm optimistic."

Maybe mr.burton really did know something ...
This one is interesting to me. You could easily take that "Will know more by Thursday" as him telling Botta that Botta will know more on Thursday as in an announcement.

People are/were wondering who else could be helping Burkle in these discussions. Because he would need a little help to mediate everything. I fully believe that person is Vinik.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:30 PM
wilty00

If the reports are true and the presence of guys like Burkle, Chipman, et. al is what may have turned the tide here, it makes you wonder why it took so long to get the right guys in the room in the first place.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:31 PM
CerebralGenesis

So they haven't met any more tonight yet? It's getting late so if they do get back to talks tonight, I'll be impressed.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:31 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I don't miss that. Good luck college/university folks.

Interesting reports but I'm continuing to keep my hopes tempered.
All of my exams are in-class, so I'm off almost a week before most people!

Old
12-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Bum
Ontario Oiler fan

@JoshRimerHockey
Told by NHL Player that they were very happy that Ron Burkle was a part of the process today. Nice to finally hear some positive vibes.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:33 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
If the reports are true and the presence of guys like Burkle, Chipman, et. al is what may have turned the tide here, it makes you wonder why it took so long to get the right guys in the room in the first place.

But...But...But... Bettmans stupid idea of an owner/player meeting is a joke. Almost every blogger was boasting how stupid this meeting was going to be and nothing would come of it.

If something does come out of it, you have to give credit where its due. And thats Bettman for thinking outside of the box to get something done. And really putting the deal ahead of himself by removing himself from the equation (on the surface at least).

Old
StittsvilleJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
Good... hopefully this is reminiscient of Robert Kraft getting involved in the NFL lockout
The powerhouse Patriots with a superstar QB who know there days are limited, and the powerhouse Penguins with their superstars who also know their window is limited, are the catalysts to make a deal.

How did things end in the NBA? Was it the Miami Heats who catalyzed the end of that lockout?

Guess the teams who stand to lose more than just money are the ones who actually care.

Old
Orca Smash

This tweet I agree with compared to the new jersey beat writer one.

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
#CBA General sense at the moment is one of cautious optimism. First time in quite awhile for that..

Old
12-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Mattiboy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Not sure what you mean but all these reporters are fairly well connected and getting updates after every lockout meeting. Botta has been one of the better informed sources during the lockout. This is personally the first piece of good news I seen him report.
as an islander fan, i follow botta a lot. he is very negative, but maybe you want to call him realistic. he kept saying was going to be a complete waste. this is very encouraging.

i hope they continue this tonight...

Old
12-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Geez, did everyone in the room at the end of the meeting agree to start leaking details to reporters?
None of these are much of leaks. Generic "good meeting, more later" stuff. Honestly I'd be more concerned if only a few were saying it, because maybe they would just be nuts or pushing an agenda. Same story from all sides = good sign.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:36 PM
MISC*
Negged.

I can't believe how little respect the NHL and NHLPA have shown the fans throughout this entire process.

I absolutely hope the season is cancelled and the profits/revenue drop by 50% next year.

Sign me up for one of the people that want the NHL to fully dissolve in the coming years.

Ticket prices rising.
Beer prices rising.
Food prices rising.
Parking prices rising.
Merchandise prices rising.
Players wages rising.

Respect for fans, at an all time low.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:37 PM
rpontbriand

I hope it works out like this simply as the NHL will figure out it can save 8 million dollars of wasted salary via the cereal box character they employ and excite the fan base again due to his absence.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:37 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Remaining cautiously optimistic. Very pleased though

Old
12-04-2012, 08:38 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I can't believe how little respect the NHL and NHLPA have shown the fans throughout this entire process.

I absolutely hope the season is cancelled and the profits/revenue drop by 50% next year.

Sign me up for one of the people that want the NHL to fully dissolve in the coming years.

Ticket prices rising.
Beer prices rising.
Food prices rising.
Parking prices rising.
Players wages rising.

Anyone who likes hockey doesnt want the NHL to dissolve. What kind of bite my nose off to spite my face kind of thinking is that.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StittsvilleJames View Post
The powerhouse Patriots with a superstar QB who know there days are limited, and the powerhouse Penguins with their superstars who also know their window is limited, are the catalysts to make a deal.

How did things end in the NBA? Was it the Miami Heats who catalyzed the end of that lockout?

Guess the teams who stand to lose more than just money are the ones who actually care.
Bob Kraft connection.

I am Boston Strong

Old
12-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Ari91

Quote:

Maybe reading too much into it (and we still have yet to see how things turn out from this) but I think everything Bettman does and says is calculated and done with purpose. Maybe it's possible that he sees that the PA has shown enough acceptance to certain aspects of the league's requests that now they would be willing to negotiate everything and probably get a deal done. Except, at this point, the PA is not going to trust anything that comes from him and Jacobs. So he sent Tanenbaum, Burkle, Vinik and Chipman to do it. Maybe it's the case of Bettman and Jacobs assuming the role of bad guys to wait out until they had enough room to make serious negotiations and then let the other owners come in and play good guys. I've heard especially good things about Tanenbaum and Burkle's negotiating prowess but it's hard to imagine that these guys just said what Bettman and Jacobs has been saying all along. I think something new has to have come up which has led to the optimism and the progress that is being suggested right now.

Old
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
Cotsonika

We're all over this Don Fehr phone call. pic.twitter.com/Brn27m3W

Old
Pyromaniac3

Quote:

Ticket prices rising.
Beer prices rising.
Food prices rising.
Parking prices rising.
Players wages rising.

That's like almost every single big company in the world.

Old
Wretched Oil

vCash: 50
Quote:

Ticket prices rising.
Beer prices rising.
Food prices rising.
Parking prices rising.
Players wages rising.

My wages have increased every year of my adult life.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:42 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Because Jeremy Jacobs wouldn't let them
Looks like Bettman may be the hero of saving the season if it happens

Old
Hawkaholic

Bettmans plan has worked.

Lock the players out, save 100s of millions of dollars, get contractual rights they didn't get in the last CBA and get the players share down.

They could of offered 50/50 with make whole in July. But they wanted to save a bunch of money on the players contracts so they locked them out.

Now that a few paychecks have been missed, Bettman and Co will start giving in and get 1/2 a season in. Bring the players and owners together to get rid of the cancers no one likes Fehr/Bettman, and leak that a deal will be done in a few days to get peoples optimism up. Agree to deal before xmas so you can have the spotlight again after the NFL season is almost done. Plan executed to the tee.

Old
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Anyone who likes hockey doesnt want the NHL to dissolve. What kind of bite my nose off to spite my face kind of thinking is that.
I love hockey, but there is NO QUESTION that the way the NHL operates HAS to change. Even with Bettman's idea for this meeting, he's done more harm to the game than good. He has to go. So does Fehr. BOTH of them. Daly might be tossed overboard.

Whoever DOES take the reins should have a hockey background, NOT a law or business one.

Old
Crows*

It's getting interesting

@RealRocket22: I totally understand people's frustration , totally warranted ...but give it one more chance ( one week ) ...I think it's gonna get done !!

@Rochestadelphia gut and a couple of flys on the wall

Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Desperate times (for reporters)

Old
12-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:

Ticket prices rising.
Beer prices rising.
Food prices rising.
Parking prices rising.
Players wages rising.

u wot m8? last thing I want right now is the season to be cancelled. Any NHL is better than No NHL.

Closed Thread