HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lockout Thread #3: The Rollercoaster Continues...

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
December 15-31st,2012 6 19.35%
January 2013 13 41.94%
September 2013 6 19.35%
October 2013-December 2013 2 6.45%
January 2014 0 0%
September 2014 0 0%
October 2014-January 2015 0 0%
NHL is gone forever 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 07:15 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 500
bettman press conference for tomorrow at 1pm

Old
12-04-2012, 07:30 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I'm guessing bad news.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:34 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

8 hours plus and they are probably still arguing over splitting the cost of the coffee.

Conversation probably went something like this.....

12 large coffees arrive, total cost $36

Owner: ok are we going to split this, you want to go 50:50 or will we get these and you get the next ones?

Player: We will go 50:50 but won't pay a cent more.

Owner: sigh... Ok.

Player: so 50% of $36 is er....um....I'll just go check.............

Player returns: ......Well Mr Fehr says 50% of $36 is $15 so the players will pay $15 and you guys pay the rest.

Owner: but 50% is $18 not $15

Player: Mr Fehr is our leader and he says it is $15, we're all united on this you know.

Owner: We're talking about coffee you know and it's getting cold, we need to talk about the CBA.

Player : cba?.... We only ordered coffee.

Owner: Collective bargaining agreement.

Player : O yeah, we knew that Look if you expect us to pay more we are going to de....deser...um

Owner : Decertify?

Player: That's it.

Owner : Look dumbass do you know what that means?

Player: er.....I'll just go ask Mr F..............

Old
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
There is a lot of players in nyc Sounds like maybe 10 players will participate in todays meeting with the six owners along with Daly and one staff member from the pa meeting should start around 2 ET (noon MT)
Players won't even make it 50%50% for meetings. Have to have the bigger share. Par for the course. Wonder how many of the players are low earners who are starving.

Old
BlueChip01

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Why do you figure it would up Van's chances of a cup?
They seem to get injuries at the end, get tired, etc. I think they could really do well with a short season.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:36 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Where did you hear this from? I can't see anything on twitter or on a quick google search. Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm guessing bad news.
It could just be a usual press conference after the BoG meeting. But yeah, it'll probably be bad news no matter what he's talking about. It's almost always bad news from him.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:40 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
So the meeting is crossing the 5 hour mark ...
Only just started on slapshot 3 with the breaks and all.

Anything to keep fans in tow. Season is history folks, only propaganda.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:46 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
Only just started on slapshot 3 with the breaks and all.

Anything to keep fans in tow. Season is history folks, only propaganda.
This. Cut the bs and cancel the season Bettman.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The meetings aren't over.

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Told the owners and players intend on continuing meetings tonight.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:49 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Ugh. Here comes my sense of optimism again.

I never learn.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Not getting my hopes up but I don't think any of us would be surprised if getting Bettman and Fehr outta the meetings is what leads to a solution. I think the only guy more useless than Gary Bettman, is Donald Fehr.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:06 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Where did you hear this from? I can't see anything on twitter or on a quick google search. Link?

It could just be a usual press conference after the BoG meeting. But yeah, it'll probably be bad news no matter what he's talking about. It's almost always bad news from him.
http://www.tsn.ca/
Right there top left corner, this presser would likely happen even if there was no lockout Bettman has press conferences after BoG meetings in terms of bad news not sure whats meant by that the season will not be cancelled tomorrow
TSN will stream the conference live at 1 pm ET so 11 am MT

To those saying the seasons is as good as cancelled. Well all early indications from todays talks, which are not over yet, are positive
@aaronward_nhl: All indications are that they are going to meet again. If not tonight,then tomorrow.Positive feedback so far. #TSN
@KatieStrangESPN: #CBA General sense at the moment is one of cautious optimism. First time in quite awhile for that...
@aaronward_nhl: Hearing both sides discussed further means of 'giving'. Both are encouraged by the discussions so far. #TSN

Old
12-04-2012, 08:11 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Not getting my hopes up but I don't think any of us would be surprised if getting Bettman and Fehr outta the meetings is what leads to a solution. I think the only guy more useless than Gary Bettman, is Donald Fehr.
I would love to see a deal done quickly for no other reason then the players and owners could shake hands and say, hey... why don't we leave those goofs out of this next time.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:21 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Another positive tweet.

@Proteautype: Heard from an NHLer with knowledge of CBA talks. "Won't get excited till deal done but guys feel better (tonight) than in a while", he said.

It'll be a let down if these talk break down once again but this is better than hearing the bi-weekly, "Disappointing day. No Progress," quotes.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
Another positive tweet.

@Proteautype: Heard from an NHLer with knowledge of CBA talks. "Won't get excited till deal done but guys feel better (tonight) than in a while", he said.

It'll be a let down if these talk break down once again but this is better than hearing the bi-weekly, "Disappointing day. No Progress," quotes.
a men. You have to know that at this point they get a deal done or they know the season is lost. They have to know it is the 11th hour. hopefully something gets done and soon.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Live and learn, I suppose but it's an absolute joke that these owners are making better progress than Fehr and Bettman. If a deal is struck this week then that should spell the end for those two useless, egotistical morons.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:29 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Live and learn, I suppose but it's an absolute joke that these owners are making better progress than Fehr and Bettman. If a deal is struck this week then that should spell the end for those two useless, egotistical morons.
I would be surprised to see Bettman let go, not so much Fehr. By the sounds of everything Fehr was not communicating the facts correctly to the NHLPA, had a hard line stance on negotiating, and never had a clear direction on what he was looking for until the NHL asked him for a deal to work with. If he was running my Union i'd vote to have him replaced.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:30 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

I believe Fehr was expected to depart soon after a new CBA was signed anyway.

He came out of retirement to represent the players for this one.

Last edited by RipsADrive: 12-04-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: accidentally a word
Old
12-04-2012, 08:35 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Players think Bettman & the hardliners (Jacobs et al) are running the show and the owners have more to give.

Owners think Fehr isn't telling the PA all of the talking points and he has his own group of hardliners.

So both sides calling each other's bluff. Good move by Bettman, bet the timing has been planned since July.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Suspect it has less to do with bettman being useless, and more with players rendering him ineffective by believing stupid conspiracies like that he wants to drag player/owner relations back to the early 90s. Owners could be pitching(and probably are) the exact same deal from a few weeks ago, but because they aren't "the evil villain" that the players have an emotionally irrational grudge against, they may actually be rationally looking at the deal instead of reacting in their usual angry patterns.

Works both ways too. There have been questions about Fehr's motivations from the start, and dealing without him may result in more bend from the owner's end as well.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:49 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Francois Gagnon ‏@GagnonFrancois
Les discussions reprennent après une pause pour le souper. C'est encourageant. Bettman et Fehr se joignent au groupe. Ça bouge pour vrai...

Bettman and Fehr join the meetings. Here's where things usually turn ugly again.

(Translation: Discussions resume after a break for supper. It's encouraging. Bettman and Fehr are joining the group. Things are really moving...)

Old
12-04-2012, 08:55 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Les discussions reprennent après une pause pour le souper. C'est encourageant. Bettman et Fehr se joignent au groupe. Ça bouge pour vrai...

Bettman and Fehr join the meetings. Here's where things usually turn ugly again.

(Translation: Discussions resume after a break for supper. It's encouraging. Bettman and Fehr are joining the group. Things are really moving...)
I'm picturing a bunch of kids happily building a huge, super cool sand castle to help save the town by bringing back the tourists. Then the two bullies show up in their big army boots...

Old
12-04-2012, 08:55 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Players think Bettman & the hardliners (Jacobs et al) are running the show and the owners have more to give.

Owners think Fehr isn't telling the PA all of the talking points and he has his own group of hardliners.

So both sides calling each other's bluff. Good move by Bettman, bet the timing has been planned since July.
I'm pretty sure his original plan involved playing hockey in October, not waiting until December to plan a meeting without himself and Don there.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:59 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:

Roadblock!!

Old
12-04-2012, 09:09 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Hopefully Bettman and Fehr get stuck in traffic on the way to the meeting for... ever. We need a couple tire iron wielding hoodlums to pull a Nancy Kerrigan on those 2 and let the owners and players seal the deal.

Both their egos will point out flaws in any headway that has been made and they'll be back at square one again.

Closed Thread