HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 12/5)

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 09:46 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Yes, I do think this will be a good, hard-working team. The problem is that Canada will most likely have RNH who has a year of NHL play and Russia has Yakupov who should be in the NHL.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:20 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Happy to see Skjei there. Miller should be a lock for the final roster

Old
12-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yes, I do think this will be a good, hard-working team. The problem is that Canada will most likely have RNH who has a year of NHL play and Russia has Yakupov who should be in the NHL.
I guess its anybody's best guess at this point, but a condition for that is no new CBA in the coming 4 weeks basically...

My guess is that we will see a little bit of movent in the coming week or so, and that they then will stumble a couple of times, before something is reached around chrismas/early January. But I don't think its all that unlikely that we could have a new CBA around Christmas, and then all these kids will be yanked.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Once again, there is double the reason to root for Team USA: citizenship and Ranger prospects.

Since Miller is already a top-9 player in the AHL, he should be playing an important role on the WJC team. Even in a lockout year, Team USA is worse than an AHL team, though Team Canada is probably better. But it would be interesting to see what Skjei can do. He is younger and less polished. If he can take regular shift on the third pair and do a decent job, thats a good tournament for him.

Not looking for much from Ceresnak. He is a low-end player and he is on a weak team. Even for Horak,who was a very solid prospect, it was tough to look good for Team Slovakia.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post

Not looking for much from Ceresnak. He is a low-end player and he is on a weak team. Even for Horak,who was a very solid prospect, it was tough to look good for Team Slovakia.
Horak is from the Czech Republic.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Horak is from the Czech Republic.
All the more reason it was tough for him to look good for Slovakia.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Skjei may not have the offensive numbers. He may never have them.

What he is, is a VERY intelligent player that doesn't make mistakes often. And he skates at an elite level. Uses his body right to the defend.

He's a very solid defenseman. The McDonagh comparisons are pretty much spot on.

If he doesn't make the final cut, it's not any indication of anything other than how deep USA's defense will be. But, IMO, it would be foolish to leave him off the roster.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Lindberg had an assist today. 25 points now for him in 30 games. Prior to this year, he had a total of 26 points in 123 Elitserien games.

It's just pain.
Old
12-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Skjei may not have the offensive numbers. He may never have them.

What he is, is a VERY intelligent player that doesn't make mistakes often. And he skates at an elite level. Uses his body right to the defend.

He's a very solid defenseman. The McDonagh comparisons are pretty much spot on.

If he doesn't make the final cut, it's not any indication of anything other than how deep USA's defense will be. But, IMO, it would be foolish to leave him off the roster.

Nobody is talking about his offensive numbers, but he's supposed to be very raw. That was the primary reason he fell to the very end of the first round. If a raw 18 year old can hold his own in the WJC, that's a good sign.

If not, we might be looking at another Lee Sorochan/Jeff Brown situation here: a solid overall defenseman who's drafted relatively early, but isn't good enough anywhere to make the NHL. Skjei will need to do a lot of developing in the next 3-4 years.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Lindberg had an assist today. 25 points now for him in 30 games. Prior to this year, he had a total of 26 points in 123 Elitserien games.

Is he benefiting from centering Holloway and Lindstrom? I'm afraid this might be the same thing that happened to Bob Maudie who scored 100 points because he benefited from playing with Jerome Iginla (and Domenichelli who was at the time a very good prospect). Then Maudie went on to have a career in the ECHL and low-end European leagues.

So the question is, how much is his statistical skyrocketing his own work and how much of it is just playing with better linemates than last year?

Old
12-04-2012, 03:34 PM
NYR Viper

In short, yes. He is benefiting from playing with better linemates. However, he is also playing much better and therefore getting a lot more ice time. He is strong on his skates, has a good hockey IQ and knows the defensive side of the game which leads to more ice time and more chances.

I think he has 2nd/3rd line tweener upside. Maybe a center version of Korpikoski?

Old
12-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
In short, yes. He is benefiting from playing with better linemates. However, he is also playing much better and therefore getting a lot more ice time. He is strong on his skates, has a good hockey IQ and knows the defensive side of the game which leads to more ice time and more chances.

I think he has 2nd/3rd line tweener upside. Maybe a center version of Korpikoski?

I've liked Lindberg over our other "bottom-6 potential" centers since we've acquired him. Everyone felt really excited about Fogarty and to a lesser degree Yogan, but I think Lindberg has a higher floor and a higher ceiling.

That said, I don't think he has second line potential. I think he's our 3-4 line center of the future. However, if Lindberg (or Yogan/Fogarty) replaces Halpern, the team would get significantly younger and probably better.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:31 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Halpern is only hear to keep the seat warm for Lindberg. If the entire season is cancelled, there's a chance Halpern never plays an official game for the Rangers.

Lindberg, Jean, and Miller will all be fighting for bottom 6 jobs next training camp and Fasth might be in this mix too.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Halpern is only hear to keep the seat warm for Lindberg. If the entire season is cancelled, there's a chance Halpern never plays an official game for the Rangers.
Jason Marshall style

Old
12-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
So how does the WJC affect the NCAA? Do these players just take games off from their college team?

12-04-2012, 08:53 PM
collegehockeyguy

kaneone- yes.. their teams go on and play without them. usually a college team only has a few games that fall over the WJC

and Beacon is right about skjei. he is raw.. and i question anyone that says he is not having a fine year so far. he is a freshman in the WCHA.. which isnt far off from the level of competition in the AHL. he has the skating and size, and he is learning to take the body more and more. he should take a few years in college but he will get there

Old
12-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegehockeyguy View Post
kaneone- yes.. their teams go on and play without them. usually a college team only has a few games that fall over the WJC

and Beacon is right about skjei. he is raw.. and i question anyone that says he is not having a fine year so far. he is a freshman in the WCHA.. which isnt far off from the level of competition in the AHL. he has the skating and size, and he is learning to take the body more and more. he should take a few years in college but he will get there
Yeah, I saw one person in the WJC board who said Skjei hasn't had a good start to the season, which is nonsense. I watched about five of his games, and he hasn't had a single bad game that I could say I witnessed.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:03 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Yea. I can maybe subscribe to the idea that he hasn't wowed people but to say that he has been bad is ridiculous IMO.

12-04-2012, 09:12 PM
collegehockeyguy

i guess a have a theory that some of this skjei criticism is coming from the gophers having eight quality defensemen this year and a lot of second-guessing by the fan base on who should be scratched from the lineup. i say that because they have eight quality defensemen, all eight of which have had people say they are not playing well enough to stay in the lineup.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:22 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegehockeyguy View Post
i guess a have a theory that some of this skjei criticism is coming from the gophers having eight quality defensemen this year and a lot of second-guessing by the fan base on who should be scratched from the lineup. i say that because they have eight quality defensemen, all eight of which have had people say they are not playing well enough to stay in the lineup.
I definitely agree that's playing into it, good call. The depth also has kept Skjei off of special teams for the most part (especially PP). I'm not going to be shocked either way with him, it comes down to camp.

Ultimately you're most likely going to have Reilly, Skjei, McCabe, and Seiloff fighting for 2 spots. You can make a case for any of them.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Nobody is talking about his offensive numbers, but he's supposed to be very raw. That was the primary reason he fell to the very end of the first round. If a raw 18 year old can hold his own in the WJC, that's a good sign.

If not, we might be looking at another Lee Sorochan/Jeff Brown situation here: a solid overall defenseman who's drafted relatively early, but isn't good enough anywhere to make the NHL. Skjei will need to do a lot of developing in the next 3-4 years.
There are a lot of reasons players "fall" in a draft. Every player in every draft can be considered raw. Few exceptions. Like Crosby. Who still needed work on things like face offs to be an effective center.

Teams have their boards. Teams have their guys going into a draft. They have organizational needs. Not every team picks what could be considered best player available.

He's a very intelligent player. Its apparent when you watch Minnesota. And very skilled.

There are obvious areas he needs to grow on as a player. But he's no less of a player than any of the other invitees for team USA. If he doesn't make the cut, its a testament to the depth of the roster, rather then an indictment on Skjei's talent level.

He's good enough to log top four minutes for a team that has been at the top of the national rankings all season. As a freshman (he does sometimes get that responsibility). The youngest player on the Minnesota roster.

Also, these things are very political. Unfortunately. Despite Jones stabbing the US development path in the back, he's still regarded as a golden boy. The golden boys will get their spots. Miller, for example, should be a lock. But he's not. He still has to earn his spot. He's not a golden boy.

St. Croix left off the Canadian team? Politics.

Of all the prospects not yet at the pro level, in the Rangers organization, Skjei is the one I worry least about. His mind for the game is going to get him where he wants to go. His physical tools will develop around that. Like Stepan. Like Hagelin. Like McDonagh.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I definitely agree that's playing into it, good call. The depth also has kept Skjei off of special teams for the most part (especially PP). I'm not going to be shocked either way with him, it comes down to camp.

Ultimately you're most likely going to have Reilly, Skjei, McCabe, and Seiloff fighting for 2 spots. You can make a case for any of them.
He hasn't gotten much PP time. But he does get PK time.

And there have been times he's getting top four minutes. I saw it a couple of weeks ago.

The second week of the NCAA season, I believe it was, when he got rocked, mind you having the frame of mind to take that hit while ensuring his team maintained puck possession. He lost a bit of early momentum. I don't care what anyone says, it took him a couple of weeks to get over that hit. His brain took a rattle. And he missed about a week of playing time because of it.

The kid is very smart out there. He started to bounce back from that injury.

He will be fine. Allow him to establish himself.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
There are a lot of reasons players "fall" in a draft. Every player in every draft can be considered raw.

Depends on how you define the word "raw". Obviously all of them are raw compared to NHLers. But if you compare them to each other, some are "mature" for an 18 year old and some are "raw" for an 18 year old. As of his draft day, Skjei fell into the raw category. So did Kreider and Kovalev. And so did Jessiman.

On the other hand, Malhotra, Jeff Brown, Sundstrom all were considered very mature for an 18 year old, and nothing particularly great happened with them, especially with Brown who became a low-level minor leaguer.

Being raw is not a monstrous flaw, but it is something that a player needs to overcome.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:57 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Depends on how you define the word "raw". Obviously all of them are raw compared to NHLers. But if you compare them to each other, some are "mature" for an 18 year old and some are "raw" for an 18 year old. As of his draft day, Skjei fell into the raw category. So did Kreider and Kovalev. And so did Jessiman.

On the other hand, Malhotra, Jeff Brown, Sundstrom all were considered very mature for an 18 year old, and nothing particularly great happened with them, especially with Brown who became a low-level minor leaguer.

Being raw is not a monstrous flaw, but it is something that a player needs to overcome.
Kreider was already bigger, stronger, faster then most players older than him when he was a freshman.He had a willingness to take on any role that was asked of him. And he developed. The hockey IQ fallacy was continually disproved. He lead USA in goals in each of his WJC tournaments. Winning tournament MVPs throughout his NCAA career. He works on his weaknesses but he's never going to be a defensive forward. You'd be hard pressed to find a player that works harder to get better. That's maturity.

Skjei is more polished then most 18 year olds. By a lot. He may never put up big offensive numbers. He carries the puck well, makes simple plays with the puck, and has a heavy shot. But it may never translate on the stat sheet. What makes him standout is that he's very intelligent. He's nearly always in proper position. He's uses his body to defend the puck and give his teammates more time to make a play. He skates at an elite level so any mistake he may make he can cover. He catches opponents easily.

He's 18, the youngest player on what was #1 ranked Minnesota until last week, and has at times been given top four responsibility. And he may yet play a big role for USA at the WJC.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:20 AM
NYR Viper

I know many people here like to classify Skjei as having McDonagh-like upside but I think if all breaks well for him I think the Rangers would be looking at Jay Bouwmeester-like upside with the way he joins the rush and carries the puck. I don't think he will ever be as physical as McDonagh will be.

Closed Thread