HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Owner-Player meeting only, no Bettman or Fehr (UPD: 12/4 in NYC)

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
0 Euros on that list. I'm also curious if they just see a player with a college degree and put him in even if his degree has nothing to do with business or economics. Anyways the fact that the meetings have lasted this long is encouraging because it means that it wasn't just owners lecturing players and the players walking out.
My Bachelors of Music with a double major in Psychology will do fine in negotiations, thank you very much!

Old
12-04-2012, 06:34 PM
who_me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
0 Euros on that list. I'm also curious if they just see a player with a college degree and put him in even if his degree has nothing to do with business or economics. Anyways the fact that the meetings have lasted this long is encouraging because it means that it wasn't just owners lecturing players and the players walking out.
The players could've put Ovechkin in the group, but the guy looks and talks like a caveman. If you were an owner not named Leonsis, would you take anything Ovechkin says seriously? I thought not.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:39 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

HarrisonMooney 4:29pm via TweetDeck The players and owners have been at it for six hours! This is some tantric negotiating.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:44 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

prutherford 4:36pm via Twitter for Android According to Twitter reports, #NHL players & owners spoke for about 5 1/2 hrs. Meeting has paused for dinner & sides will chat again tonight

reporterchris 4:36pm via UberSocial for BlackBerry There's no certainty CBA talks will resume tonight. But the sides are set to reconvene at the hotel after dinner.

drosennhl 4:38pm via Twitter for iPhone Bottom line is there are a lot of moving parts to this and right now we don't know much other than they are certainly in a break.

drosennhl 4:37pm via Twitter for iPhone No one can say for sure if the meeting will resume after dinner. If it does there is no guarantee that it will still be in the same place.

reporterchris 4:37pm via UberSocial for BlackBerry The NHLPA says that it might not make players available tonight.

drosennhl 4:39pm via Twitter for iPhone
Likely an hour or less (or more) until we know if the sides will resume the meeting tonight. Stay tuned.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
The players and owners have been at it for six hours! This is some tantric negotiating.
Even if it's just a matter of each side understanding exactly where the other side is coming from would be progress.

Hopefully both sides can understand the few issues left that are the most important to each side, and why they're trying/wanting those issues and what they hope to resolve (if the owners got that concession) would be a huge step forward. Then you hope that once both sides completely understand where each is coming from, that they can reach some common ground.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
12-04-2012, 06:57 PM
TheCrazedMadman

This is really the first time I've followed a CBA meeting in progress...this is good right? 5 1/2 hours with possibility for more? IM EXCITED, though I fear Im just going to be let down again.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:01 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

JSportsnet 4:53pm via Twitter for BlackBerry® Couldn't help but notice Crosby's agent Pat Brisson is in hotel, along with Pens co-owner Mario Lemieux. Could Pgh be building a bridge?

JSportsnet 4:50pm via Twitter for BlackBerry® Hearing that Ron Burkle has been voice of reason today. Obviously, with Crosby in room it creates a interesting dynamic.

JSportsnet 4:49pm via Twitter for BlackBerry® Hearing that progress was made in the meeting. Owners expect to continue talks tonight.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:01 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazedMadman View Post
This is really the first time I've followed a CBA meeting in progress...this is good right? 5 1/2 hours with possibility for more? IM EXCITED, though I fear Im just going to be let down again.
We've had long meetings before with zero progress. Doesn't mean squat, unfortunately.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:04 PM
srsly989

Quote:
It's happened already. This is good but really at this point, we need upwards to 7 or 8.

But that's not saying progress won't be made today.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Tripod

Maybe the owners should look at Horcoff and say "when you signed your deal, you were a 50 point player. Since signing, you have put up 36, 27, an 34 points. You are now overpaid. How is that the owners fault for the player not living up to his end of the contract?"

Old
12-04-2012, 07:20 PM
FrankBoothSexyTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Maybe the owners should look at Horcoff and say "when you signed your deal, you were a 50 point player. Since signing, you have put up 36, 27, an 34 points. You are now overpaid. How is that the owners fault for the player not living up to his end of the contract?"
there's no stipulations in a contract saying that you get paid less for decreased performance. that's just not how these things work.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:21 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
The owner should know those risks. They can't blame anyone else for offering ridiculous contracts

Old
12-04-2012, 07:22 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Quote:
That works both ways, bud.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:26 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
HarrisonMooney 4:29pm via TweetDeck The players and owners have been at it for six hours! This is some tantric negotiating.

It might be tantric but I somehow expect that it is only the fans who will end up getting screwed.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
They once talked about player safety for 4-5 hours, everyone got excited. They then engaged economics for about 10 mins, everyone was dispointed quickly after.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:42 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

jessespector 5:39pm via Tweetbot for iOS Fehr still pacing on the phone. TV cameras getting least-interesting B-roll ever.

jessespector 5:37pm via Tweetbot for iOS Don Fehr pacing in the hall, phone to his ear.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Number8

Quote:
So I presume you would agree that players that over perform should immediately get paid huge annual bonuses as well? Works both ways, right?

Old
12-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Bosswally

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Told the owners and players intend on continuing meetings tonight.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:07 PM
who_me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
So I presume you would agree that players that over perform should immediately get paid huge annual bonuses as well? Works both ways, right?
it's called 'contract year'.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:13 PM
thom

Would 2 expansion teams pay the 180 million dollar difference?Say 2014 Quebec City and Seattle?The difference would be settled .And the owners still have a gold mine if Toronto gets a 2nd expansion team

Old
12-04-2012, 08:14 PM
howie789

is this Burton reporter right on??

Old
12-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Bosswally

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie789 View Post
is this Burton reporter right on??
at this point hes not so much a reporter but more of a wizard, that's my only explanation since no one else repeated what he said or he was lying out his ass and is the luckiest writer on earth

Quote:
Would 2 expansion teams pay the 180 million dollar difference?Say 2014 Quebec City and Seattle?The difference would be settled .And the owners still have a gold mine if Toronto gets a 2nd expansion team
I would imagine that the 2 expansion teams would by QC and T2 and the fees would be a few hundred million dollars each and T2 would most likely have to pay the Leafs some money, or as I suspect that either Bell or Rogers will sell their stake in the Leafs and own T2. The NHL would likely save Seattle in case of relocation and also as a bargaining chip to get cites to fork over money for new arenas/renovations much like the NFL does with LA

edit: Bettman and Fehr have joined the discussions, this is either really good or really bad

Old
12-04-2012, 09:01 PM
DreamBeaut

Fehr and Bettman are joining tonight's meetings.

Either good news or horrible news coming out the other end, I reckon.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:06 PM
WTFMAN99

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaproosta08 View Post

For me, my initial reaction is "ugh" but at the same time if they are joining the meeting, it could mean that progress has been made. I only worry that the 2 screw it up, but I hope the owners-players have made progress.

I don't want Fehr or Bettman to hijack a productive meeting at this point.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaproosta08 View Post

Definitely more good than bad: it means things are moving.

Closed Thread