HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Ballard would be considered a great skater if he was a forward. Still not excellent, but great. He's not, he's a defenseman and the expectations are different. As Wilch posted above, you're looking for fluid backwards skating, smooth and strong lateral movement, ability to make tight turns, excellent pivoting, etc. Ballard is average to above average in most of those areas and sucks at pivoting. That's why Hamhuis is the best skater on our team, not Ballard.

Corrado might not have the advantage in straight up speed but he's excellent in every other area, that's what makes him such an excellent skater overall.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Wisp

D-Men skating should be judged by agility and mobility, not speed.

(though speed is handy)

Old
12-04-2012, 07:24 PM
arsmaster

4 turns?

What a hilarious statement, let me guess Jeff Gordon is a better driver than Michael Schumacher too right?

Old
12-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
4 turns?

What a hilarious statement, let me guess Jeff Gordon is a better driver than Michael Schumacher too right?
turning left is challenging!

Old
12-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
4 turns? All in the same direction? Well, that settles it! Ballard is horrible at pivoting, which has been made only worse by his recurring hip problems. It's not as if I'm making this up, I just went and looked over the GDTs for the past year and Ballard's pivoting comes up at least a few times every month. He's not a shifty skater and he can't make quick turns. His overall lateral movement is above average. The fact that you keep equating good skating with speed says it all.

I'm comparing Corrado to Tanev, Sweatt and Schroeder. I've seen Tanev play next to Ballard and the rest of our defensemen.
I brought it up once...

Anyway, I still don't agree that Corrado is a better skater than Ballard. Was Ballard poor after returning from an injury to his hip? Probably, that would make sense, injuries do that. But I am not sure where you have gotten the idea that Ballard's last injury will permanently restrict his skating, I don't remember any report suggesting that.

Moreover, I don't agree that Ballard is a poor lateral skater/pivoter. From my my experiences watching Ballard his skating has always been very good, whether backward or forwards, pivoting, etc. I think if one watched Ballard when he was in the NCAA he would GREATLY standout for his skating ability.

As for Tanev, Ballard is definitely a better skater than Tanev. Tanev isn't a bad skater, but he definitely isn't an above average skater at the NHL level, at least not now. Anyhow, are you really suggesting that you have an accurate comparator group for Corrado because you have seen Tanev play in the NHL, Schroeder and Sweatt in a handful of games (most exhibition games), all three of which have played a grand total of FOUR games with Corrado. Seems kind of ridiculous and unconvincing to me.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
4 turns? All in the same direction? Well, that settles it! .
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
4 turns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
turning left is challenging!
The comment was said with tongue in cheek, hence the "..." after it. Sorry, I will try and use the sarcastic emoticon next time.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:54 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I brought it up once...

Anyway, I still don't agree that Corrado is a better skater than Ballard. Was Ballard poor after returning from an injury to his hip? Probably, that would make sense, injuries do that. But I am not sure where you have gotten the idea that Ballard's last injury will permanently restrict his skating, I don't remember any report suggesting that.

Moreover, I don't agree that Ballard is a poor lateral skater/pivoter. From my my experiences watching Ballard his skating has always been very good, whether backward or forwards, pivoting, etc. I think if one watched Ballard when he was in the NCAA he would GREATLY standout for his skating ability.

As for Tanev, Ballard is definitely a better skater than Tanev. Tanev isn't a bad skater, but he definitely isn't an above average skater at the NHL level, at least not now. Anyhow, are you really suggesting that you have an accurate comparator group for Corrado because you have seen Tanev play in the NHL, Schroeder and Sweatt in a handful of games (most exhibition games), all three of which have played a grand total of FOUR games with Corrado. Seems kind of ridiculous and unconvincing to me.
This one is the correct answer. Ballard is a fantastic skater.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:11 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Like I said, the fact of the matter is that you are generally comparing Corrado's skating to junior players. Therein lies your problem.
Not true. A few of us have seen him in the AHL and all of us should have seen him last preseason when he played versus the Flames and a relatively complete Edmonton lineup. I also went to a training camp session which included all of our NHL defensemen as well as Corrado. IMO, his skating stood out in those skating drills, i posted about it back then as well.

I would feel comfortable in saying Corrado is a better skater than Ballard, but that's not saying Ballard is chopped liver or that his skating is poor. Don't think anyone said he is an outright poor skater. But as i said, i think Corrado's pivots and transitions are flawless, can turn on a dime at high speed.

-----

McEneny picks up a PP assist. Moves him to 36th in OHL defensmen scoring

Last edited by thefeebster: 12-04-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Wisp

Quote:
The comment was said with tongue in cheek, hence the "..." after it. Sorry, I will try and use the sarcastic emoticon next time.
Hahah, I was also being sarcastic. I view Nascar with a little disdain.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Wisp

The point is Corrado is a fantastic skater and it should make us optimistic.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

TysonGiuriato:
Quote:
#Canucks prospect defenseman Evan McEneny grabs one assist in @OHLRangers 3-2 shootout loss tonight. Now has 13 points (3-10-13) in 26 games
0.5 PPG; is that a good thing?

Old
12-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
TysonGiuriato:

0.5 PPG; is that a good thing?
Evan had a slow start to the season, only earning 3 points in his first 11 games, which means he has 10 points in his last 15 games, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Looks like he's back on track.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
Evan had a slow start to the season, only earning 3 points in his first 11 games, which means he has 10 points in his last 15 games, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Looks like he's back on track.
If he continues his pace, then it looks like we may have picked up something for free!

Old
12-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
If he continues his pace, then it looks like we may have picked up something for free!
I remember reading somewhere from an analyst that if McEneny recovers, he could turn out to be equivalent value to either a late first round pick or second round pick in a shallow draft. Which could potentially mean another great free signing by Gillis to add to Tanev and Lack.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
I remember reading somewhere from an analyst that if McEneny recovers, he could turn out to be equivalent value to either a late first round pick or second round pick in a shallow draft. Which could potentially mean another great free signing by Gillis to add to Tanev and Lack.
Found the article:
It was by Brock Otten; an analyst who exclusively covers the OHL.

Quote:
I remain steadfast in my opinion that had he played this year, McEneny would be in consideration for the top two rounds of the draft. He was impressive defensively as a 16 year old rookie, and it was clear through the preseason games and the first two games of the OHL season, that McEneny had added an offensive punch to his game...
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...-for-2012.html

Old
12-05-2012, 07:00 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Thinking about Corrado's invitation to the camp (Atta boy Frankie!), I wonder who the lowest-drafted player to ever make Team Canada was.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:01 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Thinking about Corrado's invitation to the camp (Atta boy Frankie!), I wonder who the lowest-drafted player to ever make Team Canada was.
Good question, I'm sure there's been some undrafted guys recently, hasn't there? The first name that popped into my head was Mark Stone, what was he, a sixth rounder?

Old
12-05-2012, 09:04 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Not true. A few of us have seen him in the AHL and all of us should have seen him last preseason when he played versus the Flames and a relatively complete Edmonton lineup. I also went to a training camp session which included all of our NHL defensemen as well as Corrado. IMO, his skating stood out in those skating drills, i posted about it back then as well.

I would feel comfortable in saying Corrado is a better skater than Ballard, but that's not saying Ballard is chopped liver or that his skating is poor. Don't think anyone said he is an outright poor skater. But as i said, i think Corrado's pivots and transitions are flawless, can turn on a dime at high speed.
-----

McEneny picks up a PP assist. Moves him to 36th in OHL defensmen scoring
This excites me greatly. Looking forward to seeing him in person next week.

I'm gonna fanboy out hard and embarrass myself.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:11 AM
PRNuck

Let's not be reality here (a hypothetical, if you will): Say the lockout ends tomorrow. Which WJC forwards go to their NHL clubs, and is Gaunce one of the next in line for team Canada?

At the very least RNH, Scheifele and Strome are gone. Huberdeau too?

Old
12-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Let's not be reality here (a hypothetical, if you will): Say the lockout ends tomorrow. Which WJC forwards go to their NHL clubs, and is Gaunce one of the next in line for team Canada?

At the very least RNH, Scheifele and Strome are gone. Huberdeau too?
Agreed. Had Gaunce not been injured he probably would have gotten a camp invite. I'm sure he's near the top of the list. That'd be awesome if he and Corrado somehow made it.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:43 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Agreed. Had Gaunce not been injured he probably would have gotten a camp invite. I'm sure he's near the top of the list. That'd be awesome if he and Corrado somehow made it.
Jenner would be probably be gone too actually. Man if we had two prospects on team Canada, I'd stay up and watch the effing games live.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Jenner would be probably be gone too actually. Man if we had two prospects on team Canada, I'd stay up and watch the effing games live.
I was just thinking that. RNH, Huber, Schiefle, Strome, Jenner, Hamilton and Harrington. If Hamilton and Harrington both make their NHL teams it's pretty safe to say Corrado will make it.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Probably not the lowest, but ex-Canuck Brandon Reid (7th round pick in 2000) played for Canada twice at the WJCs.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
If the lockout ends and season starts in a couple of weeks, what happens to NHL eligible junior players? Do they have to take their 9 nhl games right away or can they do it later so they can still play for Team Canada? Because the pre-season is going to be so short there's not going to be time to properly evaluate juniors.

Context being, ideally Corrado gets to play for Team Canada and doesn't lose the opportunity to at least get 9 NHL games in, if not join the team permanently.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:14 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
I don't think Jenner would go, Harrington either.

Canada would lose RNH, and then depending on the CBA structure and schedule going forward. Hamilton, Scheifele, Huberdeau, Strome are all possibilities.

Corrado was named by the Canucks as a Jr player that would be allowed to be called up for a shortened training camp as well.

Closed Thread