HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VIII: "The 11th Hour" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Legend23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Funny SOS mentioned the TSN crew in NY... I saw their last web hit and wondered why it was a two camera shoot? Ud think that if this was just another bs meeting they wouldn't send that much... Cover it from their studios in T.O. And have the reporters check in via 1 cam.

Then I remembered the Board of Governor meetings tomorrow.

Hopefully the reason SOS gave is why.
I think they have to meet again tonight and get this done. Speculation but I think some of the owners, like Dolan, who were not invited to the meeting let Bettman know that something better get done before the board meeting and thus the secret meeting in Boston. If SoS is right Bettman probably kept Jacobs as one of the owners involved so he could try and look like he helped.

Who knows I just want hockey

Old
12-04-2012, 09:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
When this is over I'll tell everybody the timeline of events that I heard. I think it's over early morning tomorrow morning. I was told we are going to see a Fehr and Bettman "no sleep press" conference at noon tomorrow. This is what my buddy told me about a minute ago...

I was also told TSN has it's full crew in Manhattan. Look you can slap an E4 on this. I'm not an insider, I know if I was reading this I'd be like "********" but I've been friends with this guy since High School. I went to his wedding. He's in my fantasy football league. He has no reason to BS me. What I'm trying to say is this isn't a casual friend or some dude online...

Also, I don't want you guys to think this was done yesterday. It sounds a lot like the big meeting in Boston yesterday was with a few owners
Bettman and the Fehr brothers led to the breakthrough we have been waiting for. I'm sure anything can happen and if I'm wrong I'm sorry. I really debated sharing this info because I don't want to jinx it and I don't want to look like an *******...
You wouldn't look bad at all, IMO. You shared information that you were told. And we are appreciative for it.

I REALLY hope this comes true.

All we can do is wait it out.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Holy ****.
I hate hearing those 2 names...

Old
12-04-2012, 09:51 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I need hockey back. Just thought I'd share. Giants piss me off. Knicks are fun to watch, but basketball is not hockey. Hope this is true. Losing my mind. Trade rumors board is getting boring. Need to play more hockey.

Yeah I've lost it.

That draft rigging comment that looks like Mushmouth from Fat Albert is hilarious though.

"I-ba pop-ba up-ba you-ra *****a assa too-ba, *****a"

"What the hell is going on in this cartoon?"

Old
12-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Lundsanity30

Uhh...?? Scott Morrison ‏@morrisonSNETOriginally Posted byGary Bettman press conference tomorrow at 1pmET on @Sportsnet East, ON, West & Pac; on @FAN590; on FAN960 & live streaming on Sportsnet.ca

Old
12-04-2012, 09:54 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Uhh...?? Scott Morrison ‏@morrisonSNETOriginally Posted byGary Bettman press conference tomorrow at 1pmET on @Sportsnet East, ON, West & Pac; on @FAN590; on FAN960 & live streaming on Sportsnet.ca

Old
12-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Levitate

Pretty sure that was planned before now and is because it's after the BoG meeting that has been planned for awhile

Old
12-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Lundsanity30

Oh man....

Old
12-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I really debated sharing this info because I don't want to jinx it and I don't want to look like an *******...
No need to worry man. You've been here forever. Total cred. Everyone appreciates you bringing this stuff in.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
Yeah, I heard that the press conference or whatever was planned before this meeting.

12-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Yeah, I heard that the press conference or whatever was planned before this meeting.
Its standard BOG press conference that Bettman does

Only difference is this year without NHL hockey all of the hockey media will be there

Old
12-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Pretty sure that was planned before now and is because it's after the BoG meeting that has been planned for awhile
Promo for it on top of TSNs site also. Been there all day I think... That meeting is viewed important in Canada normally... Even when it isn't viewed as another line in the sand during a lockout.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Hey SOS thanks for sharing that. I've actually been hoping to see someone on here post something. I figured with how many people post on here on all the forums that somewhere someone had to know a little something. So thanks for that!

Old
12-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

SoS making me cautiously optimistic. But he's not the only one. These other reporters are as well.

That being said, I'm trying to take everything with a grain of salt. You just can't trust these idiots in the NHL/NHLPA. I think the most realistic and best scenario we can hope for is that they come out closing the gap $$$ wise and made SOME player concessions. Maybe contract lengths to 7yrs, arb still, things like that, and hopefully a deal is in sight.

I will say though - everything is lining up to make it a perfect time to start. Christmas coming. This is when NBA started to finalize a deal. NHL BOG meeting tomorrow. It is indeed, perfect timing. And wouldn't they have enough games to keep the sponsorship $$$?

Old
12-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Haha!

The Royal Half ‏@theroyalhalf
Turns out that Marc Andre Fleury is the only member of the Pittsburgh Penguins organization that can't save anything.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I'm not going to bed until the meeting is over and the reporters stop reporting for the night.

I wanna see this crap end.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I'm not going to bed until the meeting is over and the reporters stop reporting for the night.

I wanna see this crap end.
You might not sleep tonight.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
You might not sleep tonight.
No work till Monday.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:40 PM
broadwayblue

Isn't tomorrow (12/5) the BOG meeting that has been scheduled for months now?

Old
12-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
No work till Monday.
Oh well then who cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Isn't tomorrow (12/5) the BOG meeting that has been scheduled for months now?
Yes.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:41 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
No work till Monday.
i'm with you on this.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I was waiting for one of the other attorneys here to explain this, but let me give this one a try since everyone seems to be driving themselves nuts with the whole no-Bettman, no-Fehr thing.

This is a relatively standard negotiating technique. Lawyers and other negotiators use it all the time. Certainly not most of the time, but there are times when it makes sense to get the lawyers to back off and the parties to talk to each other.

You have cases where both parties are telling their lawyers, "go get me X" and the lawyer knows that it is unrealistic and that no resolution is possible this way, but it's their job to go and try. If you try to explain to your client that what they are asking for is unreasonable, some clients will understand, while others think that you are on the other side.

The favorite phrase of every lawyer that all of us always mock is, "I paid you money, you have to get this for me now" as if paying the attorney means he should now do magic. This is particularly true with unsophisticated clients who think that if they paid money for something, then mountains must now move, God must speak directly to them, and money must now fall from the sky directly into their pockets.

At some point, you figure that it would be best if the clients spoke to each other to understand how the negotiating process works. This works if the two of them aren't overly hostile, so it can be tried, for example, in a contract dispute where it is just about money than, for ex., in a divorce the two just hate it each.

You get the two parties into the room and let them talk to each other. It looks crazy because each side always brings up irrelevant things:

- "I once fed your dog when we were in high school, and now you dare to tell me that your shipping company is not responsible for the damage?!"

- "Why should my shipping company be responsible? I drove you home when you got drunk in college, and later you came to my house for Thanksgiving and left before we even started carving up the turkey as if I'm not really your friend."

But after a bunch of this craziness, if they have someone guiding them, people get to the point enough to recognize that they need to compromise and telling someone "go and get me my money" is not a strategy for success.

However, before the final t's are crossed and the i's dotted, the lawyers jump back in to make sure that the final agreement is legal and that the parties are not forgetting most of the things that need to be in the agreement.

This is probably what happened the last few days.

This is also why mediation was needed: before you let the parties bark at each other, you try to have them negotiate with a professional. Sometimes the judge in court will walk the lawyers into the chamber (or just do a bench conference off the record) and force them to compromise. Since that wasn't possible here, a moderator was needed.

When that failed, the next rational technique would be to have the players speak to the owners.

While it may seem like there's a lot of wasted time, what has transpired is the usual trajectory of any negotiated settlement with two very stubborn parties.

Last edited by Beacon: 12-04-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

So Daly says "encouraging" instead of "disappointed". Okay.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:14 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Apparently the meetings are over and Daly & Fehr just addressed the media together.

Quote:
Good signs: Daly, Steve Fehr stand side by side, say progress is being made, stay tight-lipped about details, say talks will continue.
-contsonika

I'd call it a GREAT sign that they did a joint press conference - not to mention that both used positive language.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Rangers79

Yeah, saw a lot of good quotes from both. Progress is good news.

Closed Thread