HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Owner-Player meeting only, no Bettman or Fehr (UPD: 12/4 in NYC)

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Yeah, I can just see Bettman and Fehr coming in after all this and screwing up any progress that was made. Hope not though.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:10 PM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Definitely more good than bad: it means things are moving.
Just saw 4 tweets saying meetings started and bettman and fehr are not a part of it

Old
12-04-2012, 09:14 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Makes both Bettman and Fehr look silly that the players and owners are trying to work out a deal without them.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Bosswally

Scott Morrison ‏@morrisonSNET
Quote:
Gary Bettman press conference tomorrow at 1pmET on @Sportsnet East, ON, West & Pac; on @FAN590; on FAN960 & live streaming on Sportsnet.ca
I wish I wasn't getting all excited but I can't help it

Old
12-04-2012, 09:18 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

[QUOTE=Bosswally;56249937]Scott Morrison ‏@morrisonSNET
Quote:
Gary Bettman press conference tomorrow at 1pmET on @Sportsnet East, ON, West & Pac; on @FAN590; on FAN960 & live streaming on Sportsnet.ca[/qoute]

The press conference is scheduled for after the BOG meeting. It was scheduled before this meeting even started.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:18 PM
gdsmack267

[QUOTE=Bosswally;56249937]Scott Morrison ‏@morrisonSNET
Quote:
Gary Bettman press conference tomorrow at 1pmET on @Sportsnet East, ON, West & Pac; on @FAN590; on FAN960 & live streaming on Sportsnet.ca[/qoute]

This could just be a planned one due to the governors meeting tomorrow or really good/bad news

Old
12-04-2012, 09:37 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Makes both Bettman and Fehr look silly that the players and owners are trying to work out a deal without them.
Or maybe they had a deal worked out all along and wanted to turn this into a pr stunt that the players and owners deeply care and will bring back hockey in spite of bettman and fehr. Maybe that guy from Boston was right about a done deal.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:40 PM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, I can just see Bettman and Fehr coming in after all this and screwing up any progress that was made. Hope not though.
I now have this image in my head of the owners and players building sandcastles or houses of cards together, and then evil Bettman and evil Fehr walking by afterwards and kicking the things over while laughing.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Bosswally

i'm calling it right now, the season will start January 1st with every team playing and it will be much like Hockey Day with Nationally televised games at 1pm 7pm 10pm

for bonus points the nationally televised games will be 1pm Boston vs NYR 7pm Pittsburgh vs Philly 10pm Detroit vs Chicago, alternatively if they want to keep all games within division 1 pm can be Boston vs Buffalo

Old
12-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
For me, my initial reaction is "ugh" but at the same time if they are joining the meeting, it could mean that progress has been made. I only worry that the 2 screw it up, but I hope the owners-players have made progress.

I don't want Fehr or Bettman to hijack a productive meeting at this point.
That's kind of my thoughts as well... however at some point they need to be involved.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
12-04-2012, 09:44 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosswally View Post
i'm calling it right now, the season will start January 1st with every team playing and it will be much like Hockey Day with Nationally televised games at 1pm 7pm 10pm

for bonus points the nationally televised games will be 1pm Boston vs NYR 7pm Pittsburgh vs Philly 10pm Detroit vs Chicago, alternatively if they want to keep all games within division 1 pm can be Boston vs Buffalo
The players will ride in on unicorns and Santa Claws will drop the puck. Also, leprechauns.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:45 PM
WTFMAN99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
That's kind of my thoughts as well... however at some point they need to be involved.
I wonder if the sides can just work it out, have their own sides vote on it and then just tell Gary and Fehr to sign the dotted line?

Old
12-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Some of the biggest problems in this world are caused by egos.

Compared to lots of the world's problems, the NHL lockout is small potatoes.

But egos have been a factor, without a doubt.

Time for Fehr and Bettman to swallow their pride and hammer out a deal. Afterwards they both should be fired.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
It would be interesting to know what mandate the different delegations have, especially the player one.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:

Honestly, the first is the worst possible day to do that kind of thing. Jan first is a college football day first and foremost. You have like 10 bowl games including the Rosé and Orange (BCS games). I love the idea, I just think it would need to be a different day.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:55 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
It could be a mandate from both sides to the big guys to sit down NOW and hammer it out. Maybe provide some guidelines to a final deal.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:58 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Or maybe they had a deal worked out all along and wanted to turn this into a pr stunt that the players and owners deeply care and will bring back hockey in spite of bettman and fehr. Maybe that guy from Boston was right about a done deal.
Bingo...this whole thing smells like a PR stunt, like most of this process has been (only this is a beneficial PR stunt, finally).

Besides, you have hard-liners in the room on both sides. If even they're endorsing what's going on Bettman and Fehr can't torpedo that.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Legend23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Honestly, the first is the worst possible day to do that kind of thing. Jan first is a college football day first and foremost. You have like 10 bowl games including the Rosé and Orange (BCS games). I love the idea, I just think it would need to be a different day.
I hope its Rangers at Boston because I am a Rangers season ticket holder and I will still be hung over

Old
12-04-2012, 10:01 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:

If they come to an agreement the next few days, there's no reason they have to wait that long. Besides, they haven't officially canceled games from the 15th on, the 15th's a Saturday, it wouldn't shock me if that was the target start date if this somehow gets done in the next couple days. Or Christmas if it gets slightly more drawn out.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:06 PM
KJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
If they come to an agreement the next few days, there's no reason they have to wait that long. Besides, they haven't officially canceled games from the 15th on, the 15th's a Saturday, it wouldn't shock me if that was the target start date if this somehow gets done in the next couple days. Or Christmas if it gets slightly more drawn out.
The only downside to starting the season before Christmas is Canada's WJC team won't be so stacked. I'd be willing to live with that though .

Old
12-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Legend23

Quote:
I think you realistically need 10 days - 2 weeks to get everybody back from overseas in for physicals and have a week of practice. I am really interested in how they could come up with a revised schedule in a short period of time and what those will look like.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
I may have missed this, but is the meeting still going? They came back after dinner correct?

Old
12-04-2012, 10:11 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Well they were prepared to start the season something like November 11 when they had that infamous November 2 '82 game' offer, I think. Nine days would fit the timeline from say, day after tomorrow to the 15th. Christmas might be a more realistic timeline but I really do think the league wants to squeeze in a 2/3 schedule so they don't have to cough up money to sponsors.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Bosswally

Quote:
Well they were prepared to start the season something like November 11 when they had that infamous November 2 '82 game' offer, I think. Nine days would fit the timeline from say, day after tomorrow to the 15th. Christmas might be a more realistic timeline but I really do think the league wants to squeeze in a 2/3 schedule so they don't have to cough up money to sponsors.
the problem with starting the season on the 15th is that unlike the NBA in the NHL the players get a Christmas break, so they would start the season just to take a few days off, I feel they should take the weeks before Christmas to do training camp and maybe a couple preseason games and then start the new year off right with the season in which they still fit about 50 games without things getting too hectic

Old
12-04-2012, 10:35 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
the problem with starting the season on the 15th is that unlike the NBA in the NHL the players get a Christmas break, so they would start the season just to take a few days off, I feel they should take the weeks before Christmas to do training camp and maybe a couple preseason games and then start the new year off right with the season in which they still fit about 50 games without things getting too hectic
You might be thinking of the holiday roster freeze, the actual hockey break is only two days - they get the 25th and the 26th off, it's not that complicated to have the majority of the league playing on the 24th and 27th. Maybe some teams get three days off and have a back-to-back right after.

I don't think the NHL bothered to have a preseason in '94/95. The NBA had a mini (two-game) preseason last year but the NHL does have the sponsors consideration, they need to cram in max games now.

Closed Thread