Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

No More Lockout Blues! - 2012 Lockout Part 2 [UPD: AGREEMENT REACHED!]

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 06:38 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Looks like the majority of owners that are attending would fall in the moderate category. If the PA sends non hardliners like Iginla and St.Louis we could get some progress. The ultimate problem is Jacobs is still attending, hopefully he's drowned out.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I'm glad to see Mark Chipman get involved in the negotiations.

I want the Jets to be healthy and competative and we need our voice to be heard.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:47 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
If this meeting goes along way to help getting a deal done, will bettman and fehr (who is done anyways) resign?

I think bettman has no choice now

Old
12-02-2012, 07:55 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I'm glad to see Mark Chipman get involved in the negotiations.

I want the Jets to be healthy and competative and we need our voice to be heard.
Agreed. I'm glad Mark is being active and trying to be part of a resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
If this meeting goes along way to help getting a deal done, will bettman and fehr (who is done anyways) resign?

I think bettman has no choice now
Didn't he just get an extension and raise?
I don't think there is any chance he resigns.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
scelaton

Like others, I hadn't been paying as much attention to this CBA nonsense for a while. Guess I lost track of time. The lockout clock has now passed a half-billion dollars in salaries lost ($520 mill).
They definitely need to talk!

Old
12-02-2012, 08:29 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Very impressive Mark is in that group! It says allot about his character. Mark and Vinik are very popular owners and the good guy types. Edwards is very sharp and a good deal maker. I can't really comment on Burkle or Tannenbaum, and JJ is.....well JJ. wish they didn't have him in the room but it is what it is I guess.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Savardian Spinarama
Grippin' 'n Grinnin'

You know, for some reason Jeremy Jacobs always reminds me of this guy:

http://movies.radiofree.com/photos/a...ents_08499.jpg

Old
12-03-2012, 12:15 PM
sully1410

hopefully they can get a deal done....

Old
12-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Chipman is a very cool cucumber. He doesn't rattle or crack under pressure. He'll have a long term vision of what is needed, and won't get sidetracked by any shiny objects dangled in his face.

Just look at how he played out all the years between not saving the Jets 1.1 and landing a team for last season, the guy plays for the long game of chess. He knows exactly (in his opinion) what the league needs the next CBA to look like (this may or may not resemble what is currently on the table from either side), and what would be a palatable solution. If he sees an opportunity to achieve a palatable deal for the owners I think he'd pursue it until he reached the ends of the earth, but if such a deal isn't there he'd be willing to sit and wait for a signifigant period of time until it was achievable.

If you're looking for how someone will act in a given situation, look no further than how they have behaved in the past: Patient, bridge/relationship builder, highly attentinve to the situation, and decicive when a deal is at hand. Overall I see a good combination of traits, but always rememeber that he's in this for the long game not a short term victory/compromise.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:36 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
I consider us very fortunate that the tandem of Chipman/Thomson run the gig at TNSE.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I consider us very fortunate that the tandem of Chipman/Thomson run the gig at TNSE.
Been said many times and I agree...we have the best owners in the league!

Old
12-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Without those two there would not be a gig to run in Winnipeg

Old
12-04-2012, 11:58 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
List of players in NYC for meeting with owners.
http://www.nhlpa.com/news/players-an...rs-meet-in-nyc

Old
12-04-2012, 12:48 PM
buggs

vCash: 128
What are the odds Chipman gets pissed off and tells Hainsey to shut up and take the deal because he isn't getting even half of that next year? Yeah, probably not.

Last edited by buggs: 12-04-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: had to add smiley
Old
12-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
What are the odds Chipman gets pissed off and tells Hainsey to shut up and take the deal because he isn't getting even half of that next year? Yeah, probably not.
Lol I think the odds are more in favor of Hainsey yelling like a school girl and throwing a tantrum. I am not a fan of Hainsey or his comments during the lockout. His radio interview with Gary Lawless was one of the whiniest pro athletes I have ever heard. I somewhat understand... I'd be mad too if I was making $4 million more than I'm worth and couldn't "live the dream" for one final year..

Old
12-04-2012, 05:36 PM
sully1410

So the fact that it is 530 Winnipeg time...and as far as I know there has been no news...is probably a good sign, right?

If they stormed out on each other like last time, we would have heard something I think.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:22 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Lol I think the odds are more in favor of Hainsey yelling like a school girl and throwing a tantrum. I am not a fan of Hainsey or his comments during the lockout. His radio interview with Gary Lawless was one of the whiniest pro athletes I have ever heard. I somewhat understand... I'd be mad too if I was making $4 million more than I'm worth and couldn't "live the dream" for one final year..
I don't think Hainsey is a 0.5 mil player... He's an average #4 NHL calibre Dman who can be supportive for an offensive line (but not create) or stay at home defensively. Guy could get 2.5-3.5 depending on other teams needs in the UFA market (with current cap)... He's overpaid, but not by much.

Whiner... yes. I won't defend him there.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I don't think Hainsey is a 0.5 mil player... He's an average #4 NHL calibre Dman who can be supportive for an offensive line (but not create) or stay at home defensively. Guy could get 2.5-3.5 depending on other teams needs in the UFA market (with current cap)... He's overpaid, but not by much.

Whiner... yes. I won't defend him there.
Yes, I gave a rather subjective evaluation of his earnings based on his yapping. And one that was lower than league minimum to boot. My bad math. You see a lot more in Hainsey than I do but I won't argue. You probably have calculus theorems and mathematical derivatives to show why he is a solid #4. I continue to hope this is his last season in Winnipegand he goes to "boost" the Maple Leaf blueline next year.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
I still miss Claude Noel.

The Jets should have sent him to the lockout meeting today. A few fishing tales later and they'd all be holding hands and agreeing to start the season right away.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:53 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I still miss Claude Noel.

The Jets should have sent him to the lockout meeting today. A few fishing tales later and they'd all be holding hands and agreeing to start the season right away.
"Ok, you beauties. Gather 'round my fireside, while I tell you a little story..."

Old
12-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Both sides are continuing to meet through the evening.

Get this deal done!

Old
12-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Cautiously optimistic, now let's see if both sides really want hockey this season. If they do, we may be onto something here. The players and owners meeting together may be what's needed at this point. We'll see.

Last edited by Guerzy: 12-04-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Meeting to begin again soon. Also, Bettman, Daley, etc have entered with the owners, and at this point I will view that as a good thing. Bettman and Fehr have to be there for deal to happen or at least truly begin to form.

The optimist in me is thinking this, it's been said for some time now that "there is a deal to be made", and "when certain things fall into place this could happen quite quickly"... Perhaps we're on the verge of something here given the optimism stemming from the Owners/Players meeting.

Wishful thinking, of course.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Meeting to begin again soon. Also, Bettman, Daley, etc have entered with the owners, and at this point I will view that as a good thing. Bettman and Fehr have to be there for deal to happen or at least truly begin to form.

The optimist in me is thinking this, it's been said for some time now that "there is a deal to be made", and "when certain things fall into place this could happen quite quickly"... Perhaps we're on the verge of something here given the optimism stemming from the Owners/Players meeting.

Wishful thinking, of course.
Can't Make a Deal without those two,

GO CHIPMAN, got my Chipman jersey on!

Everyone send off good vibes

Old
12-04-2012, 10:45 PM
sully1410

I have a very very good feeling. Gary Bettman will address the media tomorrow at 1PM et. You can watch it live. That tells me that they are very confident that they have a deal and they only have to get it approved by the BOG.

I may be jumping the gun...but...

GO JETS GO!

Closed Thread