HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

No More Lockout Blues! - 2012 Lockout Part 2 [UPD: AGREEMENT REACHED!]

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2012, 06:38 PM
  #351
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,063
vCash: 500
Looks like the majority of owners that are attending would fall in the moderate category. If the PA sends non hardliners like Iginla and St.Louis we could get some progress. The ultimate problem is Jacobs is still attending, hopefully he's drowned out.

surixon is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 07:11 PM
  #352
Guardian17
Strong & Free
 
Guardian17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,950
vCash: 500
I'm glad to see Mark Chipman get involved in the negotiations.

I want the Jets to be healthy and competative and we need our voice to be heard.

Guardian17 is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 07:47 PM
  #353
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,067
vCash: 50
If this meeting goes along way to help getting a deal done, will bettman and fehr (who is done anyways) resign?

I think bettman has no choice now

King Woodballs is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 07:55 PM
  #354
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,116
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I'm glad to see Mark Chipman get involved in the negotiations.

I want the Jets to be healthy and competative and we need our voice to be heard.
Agreed. I'm glad Mark is being active and trying to be part of a resolution.


Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
If this meeting goes along way to help getting a deal done, will bettman and fehr (who is done anyways) resign?

I think bettman has no choice now
Didn't he just get an extension and raise?
I don't think there is any chance he resigns.

wpgsilver is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
  #355
scelaton
Registered User
 
scelaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Like others, I hadn't been paying as much attention to this CBA nonsense for a while. Guess I lost track of time. The lockout clock has now passed a half-billion dollars in salaries lost ($520 mill).
They definitely need to talk!

**************************

scelaton is offline  
Old
12-02-2012, 08:29 PM
  #356
ps241
The Danish Dash!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,571
vCash: 50
Very impressive Mark is in that group! It says allot about his character. Mark and Vinik are very popular owners and the good guy types. Edwards is very sharp and a good deal maker. I can't really comment on Burkle or Tannenbaum, and JJ is.....well JJ. wish they didn't have him in the room but it is what it is I guess.

ps241 is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 11:20 AM
  #357
Savardian Spinarama
Grippin' 'n Grinnin'
 
Savardian Spinarama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
You know, for some reason Jeremy Jacobs always reminds me of this guy:


http://movies.radiofree.com/photos/a...ents_08499.jpg

Savardian Spinarama is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 12:15 PM
  #358
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,112
vCash: 50
hopefully they can get a deal done....

sully1410 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 07:04 AM
  #359
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.
 
Wonko the Sane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Outside the Asylum
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,898
vCash: 1000
Chipman is a very cool cucumber. He doesn't rattle or crack under pressure. He'll have a long term vision of what is needed, and won't get sidetracked by any shiny objects dangled in his face.

Just look at how he played out all the years between not saving the Jets 1.1 and landing a team for last season, the guy plays for the long game of chess. He knows exactly (in his opinion) what the league needs the next CBA to look like (this may or may not resemble what is currently on the table from either side), and what would be a palatable solution. If he sees an opportunity to achieve a palatable deal for the owners I think he'd pursue it until he reached the ends of the earth, but if such a deal isn't there he'd be willing to sit and wait for a signifigant period of time until it was achievable.

If you're looking for how someone will act in a given situation, look no further than how they have behaved in the past: Patient, bridge/relationship builder, highly attentinve to the situation, and decicive when a deal is at hand. Overall I see a good combination of traits, but always rememeber that he's in this for the long game not a short term victory/compromise.

Wonko the Sane is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:36 AM
  #360
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,929
vCash: 234
I consider us very fortunate that the tandem of Chipman/Thomson run the gig at TNSE.

DespoticNewt is online now  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
  #361
SCP Guy
Registered User
 
SCP Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Peg
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,929
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I consider us very fortunate that the tandem of Chipman/Thomson run the gig at TNSE.
Been said many times and I agree...we have the best owners in the league!

SCP Guy is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 11:11 AM
  #362
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,857
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I consider us very fortunate that the tandem of Chipman/Thomson run the gig at TNSE.
Without those two there would not be a gig to run in Winnipeg

Tom ServoMST3K is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 11:58 AM
  #363
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,116
vCash: 700
List of players in NYC for meeting with owners.
http://www.nhlpa.com/news/players-an...rs-meet-in-nyc

wpgsilver is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 12:48 PM
  #364
buggs
Registered User
 
buggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: flatlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 128
What are the odds Chipman gets pissed off and tells Hainsey to shut up and take the deal because he isn't getting even half of that next year? Yeah, probably not.


Last edited by buggs: 12-04-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: had to add smiley
buggs is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 01:38 PM
  #365
Tintin's Ghost
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
What are the odds Chipman gets pissed off and tells Hainsey to shut up and take the deal because he isn't getting even half of that next year? Yeah, probably not.
Lol I think the odds are more in favor of Hainsey yelling like a school girl and throwing a tantrum. I am not a fan of Hainsey or his comments during the lockout. His radio interview with Gary Lawless was one of the whiniest pro athletes I have ever heard. I somewhat understand... I'd be mad too if I was making $4 million more than I'm worth and couldn't "live the dream" for one final year..

Tintin's Ghost is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 05:36 PM
  #366
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,112
vCash: 50
So the fact that it is 530 Winnipeg time...and as far as I know there has been no news...is probably a good sign, right?

If they stormed out on each other like last time, we would have heard something I think.

sully1410 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 06:22 PM
  #367
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,134
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Lol I think the odds are more in favor of Hainsey yelling like a school girl and throwing a tantrum. I am not a fan of Hainsey or his comments during the lockout. His radio interview with Gary Lawless was one of the whiniest pro athletes I have ever heard. I somewhat understand... I'd be mad too if I was making $4 million more than I'm worth and couldn't "live the dream" for one final year..
I don't think Hainsey is a 0.5 mil player... He's an average #4 NHL calibre Dman who can be supportive for an offensive line (but not create) or stay at home defensively. Guy could get 2.5-3.5 depending on other teams needs in the UFA market (with current cap)... He's overpaid, but not by much.

Whiner... yes. I won't defend him there.

garret9 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
  #368
Tintin's Ghost
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I don't think Hainsey is a 0.5 mil player... He's an average #4 NHL calibre Dman who can be supportive for an offensive line (but not create) or stay at home defensively. Guy could get 2.5-3.5 depending on other teams needs in the UFA market (with current cap)... He's overpaid, but not by much.

Whiner... yes. I won't defend him there.
Yes, I gave a rather subjective evaluation of his earnings based on his yapping. And one that was lower than league minimum to boot. My bad math. You see a lot more in Hainsey than I do but I won't argue. You probably have calculus theorems and mathematical derivatives to show why he is a solid #4. I continue to hope this is his last season in Winnipegand he goes to "boost" the Maple Leaf blueline next year.

Tintin's Ghost is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 06:49 PM
  #369
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 7,248
vCash: 1250
I still miss Claude Noel.

The Jets should have sent him to the lockout meeting today. A few fishing tales later and they'd all be holding hands and agreeing to start the season right away.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 06:53 PM
  #370
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,006
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I still miss Claude Noel.

The Jets should have sent him to the lockout meeting today. A few fishing tales later and they'd all be holding hands and agreeing to start the season right away.
"Ok, you beauties. Gather 'round my fireside, while I tell you a little story..."

YWGinYYZ is online now  
Old
12-04-2012, 07:54 PM
  #371
Guardian17
Strong & Free
 
Guardian17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,950
vCash: 500
Both sides are continuing to meet through the evening.

Get this deal done!

Guardian17 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 07:57 PM
  #372
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,687
vCash: 50
Cautiously optimistic, now let's see if both sides really want hockey this season. If they do, we may be onto something here. The players and owners meeting together may be what's needed at this point. We'll see.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=140320  8020

Last edited by Guerzy: 12-04-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Guerzy is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:45 PM
  #373
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,687
vCash: 50
Meeting to begin again soon. Also, Bettman, Daley, etc have entered with the owners, and at this point I will view that as a good thing. Bettman and Fehr have to be there for deal to happen or at least truly begin to form.

The optimist in me is thinking this, it's been said for some time now that "there is a deal to be made", and "when certain things fall into place this could happen quite quickly"... Perhaps we're on the verge of something here given the optimism stemming from the Owners/Players meeting.

Wishful thinking, of course.

Guerzy is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:54 PM
  #374
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,857
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Meeting to begin again soon. Also, Bettman, Daley, etc have entered with the owners, and at this point I will view that as a good thing. Bettman and Fehr have to be there for deal to happen or at least truly begin to form.

The optimist in me is thinking this, it's been said for some time now that "there is a deal to be made", and "when certain things fall into place this could happen quite quickly"... Perhaps we're on the verge of something here given the optimism stemming from the Owners/Players meeting.

Wishful thinking, of course.
Can't Make a Deal without those two,

GO CHIPMAN, got my Chipman jersey on!

Everyone send off good vibes

Tom ServoMST3K is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 10:45 PM
  #375
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,112
vCash: 50
I have a very very good feeling. Gary Bettman will address the media tomorrow at 1PM et. You can watch it live. That tells me that they are very confident that they have a deal and they only have to get it approved by the BOG.

I may be jumping the gun...but...

GO JETS GO!

sully1410 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.