2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 02:45 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
With that eligibility it may change the Top 5. To me the Top 10 is somewhat a given, its just a matter of what order. Most top players know where they are going by playoffs.
Do you think OHL teams prefer local kids ? Speers to Soo, MacArthur to Barrie and Stephens to Petes. Maybe McCool to Oshawa. At least for the small market teams.
Ive heard conflicting things about Korostelev so just to clarify im not 100% right now. Did u hear he was as well? Ive heard both sides of the fence in recent days.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Storm Watching

Quote:
One player out of the equation is Lawson Crouse from EMC. He supports a strong player like Konecny. Stephens misses that and seems to have found his place as a two way shut down Centre with two punishing wingers. Strome counters with finesse and two wingers who support him offensively. It will be up to the teams to find the right fit and bring these strenghts out.
Just for fun, if the league finished now !
1. Petes - Sean Day (has met with Branch, only concern is psyc test)
2. Ottawa - Dylan Strome, replacement for Monahan. Need offense
3. Erie - Zach Wierenski - Best D available
4. Sudbury - Travis Konency - fits Sudbury styke, great fit
5. Saginaw - Mitchell Stephens - Need of a Centremen, next best.
6. Soo - Blake Speers - local kid
7. Kingston - Michael Davie - Centre to help with fwd depth
8. N.Bay - Matt Spencer D
9. Plymouth - Brett MacKenzie
10.Sarnia - Denis Yan - connection with Cicerelli and Galchynuk
11.Belleville - Kyle Capobianco - big ice service, great skating D
12.Missis - Troy Henley - D
13. Oshawa - Lawson Crouse - will compliment Delle Colle
14. Guelph - Cameron Lizotte D
15. Niagara - Sam Harding
16. Kitchener - Cole Mayo D
17. Barrie - tyler MacArthur - local D
18. Owen Sound - Haydon McCool
19. London - Luke Kirwin connection
I like Strome, but I have a hard time seeing him going before Konecny. If Day doesn't get the exemption then for me Konecny goes #1.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Storm Watching

Quote:
With that eligibility it may change the Top 5. To me the Top 10 is somewhat a given, its just a matter of what order. Most top players know where they are going by playoffs.
Do you think OHL teams prefer local kids ? Speers to Soo, MacArthur to Barrie and Stephens to Petes. Maybe McCool to Oshawa. At least for the small market teams.
I think they take the BPA early in the draft, might go local in the mid to late rounds.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post

My player of the game was a 98. Adam Mascherin #71. This kid has some moves, explosiveness and hands. Very creative. He was the most dangerous player on either team all game long. He turned the defenseman inside out and a few occasions, seems to want to challenge the Dmen on the Rush whenever he can. Fantastic puck skills. He will be a high first round pick next year thats for darn sure.
I had no idea this guy was an underager when I watched him against Compuware. Just oozing with skill. Had a snap shot top corner goal that was just gorgeous as well as another goal that game. The '98 Canadians must be quite a team.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:45 PM
wingman22

Quote:
Ive heard conflicting things about Korostelev so just to clarify im not 100% right now. Did u hear he was as well? Ive heard both sides of the fence in recent days.
All I have heard is that he is in Russia and will be back in Canada for the Christmas Tournament. Knowing how difficult it was for Sprong to get Hockey Canada approval, I feel it is unlikely he will get he will get residence status without being at least declared a landed immigrant. Its a win win for a team that my have a high Priority Selection and then an import selection as well. May get two high end players in a top heavy draft.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Channer33

Quote:
I watched the Bantam Marlboros vs Nats and minor midget MArlboros vs JR Canadiens.

MArlies won 9-1. The 98 Marlies have some really good players. They appear to have a nice system down which I credit Paul Coffey for that. Mikey Mcleod got injured tonight,I do not think its serious but he left the game and did not return. Mcleod looks like he has all the tools and is another powerful and wonderful and smooth skater, hands, visions, etc. Mcleod is well ahead of others. Could easily play Minor Midget and flourish. #98 Mizzi is another player who could play on the 97 team as well. Unreal skater, very explosive and constant work ethic. Mizzi will be high end pick next year. #57 Cairns is a big boy and played a nice game from the back end. Great passes. The young Coffey is another super smart, great skater, hopefully he grows a bit more. #44 Hunter hit everything in site, reminded me of Zac Rinaldo. Low end skill, but decent skater. Fantastic skaters on that team.

Minor Midget Game : Marlies vs Jr canadiens

MArlies won 4-1. Pretty boring game. So many turnovers the game lacked flow of any kind. Josh De Farius is the best skating defenseman on the Marlboros. He logs alot of minutes and uses his feet to skate himself out of trouble. Confident player. Excellent mobility in all directions. Does not Panic. Also is not physical. Alot of the remaining Marlboro defenseman panic when u press hard on the forecheck. Stephens always leaves me wanting more. Does not look focused at times. Stephens has Konecny like tools but doesnt seem to want to display them as often. This is what Konecny has over all the other top guys is hunger and consistency. Consistency is a mindset, its impossible to teach that to a player.

Will Lawrence played a good game. He is consistent and I always notice him out there. He doesnt have a ton of high end skill. He does have a nice work ethic and skates well.

Noah Jordan moves very, very well for a player his size. Does not hit as much as he should. Tends to keep his head down when moving at full speed.

Zach Wilkie had a very average game from others Ive seen him in. I like his physical game and he makes solid, hard outlet passes usually right on the tape. Skates well, good size. He has good shot. One of the best body checkers in MM.

TJ Fergus. Skates well but not top tier. Has a very good hockey IQ. He does not play physical but thats not his game. He moves the puck well. Works super hard on the PK. I saw him play 4 straight mins on the PK and kill it off last week.

My player of the game was a 98. Adam Mascherin #71. This kid has some moves, explosiveness and hands. Very creative. He was the most dangerous player on either team all game long. He turned the defenseman inside out and a few occasions, seems to want to challenge the Dmen on the Rush whenever he can. Fantastic puck skills. He will be a high first round pick next year thats for darn sure.
Sorry to quote this again but I wanted to know how the goaltending was in the two games

Thanks in advanced

Old
12-04-2012, 09:45 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
One player out of the equation is Lawson Crouse from EMC. He supports a strong player like Konecny. Stephens misses that and seems to have found his place as a two way shut down Centre with two punishing wingers. Strome counters with finesse and two wingers who support him offensively. It will be up to the teams to find the right fit and bring these strenghts out.
Just for fun, if the league finished now !
1. Petes - Sean Day (has met with Branch, only concern is psyc test)
2. Ottawa - Dylan Strome, replacement for Monahan. Need offense
3. Erie - Zach Wierenski - Best D available
4. Sudbury - Travis Konency - fits Sudbury styke, great fit
5. Saginaw - Mitchell Stephens - Need of a Centremen, next best.
6. Soo - Blake Speers - local kid
7. Kingston - Michael Davie - Centre to help with fwd depth
8. N.Bay - Matt Spencer D
9. Plymouth - Brett MacKenzie
10.Sarnia - Denis Yan - connection with Cicerelli and Galchynuk
11.Belleville - Kyle Capobianco - big ice service, great skating D
12.Missis - Troy Henley - D
13. Oshawa - Lawson Crouse - will compliment Delle Colle
14. Guelph - Cameron Lizotte D
15. Niagara - Sam Harding
16. Kitchener - Cole Mayo D
17. Barrie - tyler MacArthur - local D
18. Owen Sound - Haydon McCool
19. London - Luke Kirwin connection
If Korostolev is eligible, then he will be #1 or #2.

I cant see Strome and Stephens as top 5 picks. Maybe I havent seen enough hockey, but dont see it at all.

Capobianco is way too high in the draft.

Henley and Crousse should be top 10 for sure, and rising.

MacArthur should be higher.

London has 2-3 kids, like Fox that can contend for 1st round selections.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:37 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
If Korostolev is eligible, then he will be #1 or #2.

I cant see Strome and Stephens as top 5 picks. Maybe I havent seen enough hockey, but dont see it at all.

Capobianco is way too high in the draft.

Henley and Crousse should be top 10 for sure, and rising.

MacArthur should be higher.

London has 2-3 kids, like Fox that can contend for 1st round selections.
He wont go before Sean Day who is already talking to the OHL for applying for ES. So #2 is the earliest. What in your opinion makes Korostelev a better pick than Konecny?

STrome takes multiple viewing to be appreciated in my opinion. He is like Dal Colle in many, many ways. Strome has over 90 points so far in 45 games, tournaments included. Stephens is right behind him. Stephens can be a streaky player. All young kids can be that way. In my view, Stephens skating in all areas, compares very well to Hosang and MCdavid. I believe Stephens is bored right now, which could be misleading to a team looking at him. People know what he brings.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-04-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 11:01 PM
chewerjones

u

Quote:
He wont go before Sean Day who is already talking to the OHL for applying for ES. So #2 is the earliest. What in your opinion makes Korostelev a better pick than Konecny?

STrome takes multiple viewing to be appreciated in my opinion. He is like Dal Colle in many, many ways. Strome has over 90 points so far in 45 games, tournaments included. Stephens is right behind him. Stephens can be a streaky player. All young kids can be that way. In my view, Stephens skating in all areas, compares very well to Hosang and MCdavid. I believe Stephens is bored right now, which could be misleading to a team looking at him. People know what he brings.
korostolev is the best player in the loop by far, even with Day getting ES. I dont know the rules, but does the ES kid have to go #1, or can he also go #2?

Konecny has better speed and hands then Korostolev, but you cannot teach a kid to be a strong, 6'3", power forward with goal scorer's gift. He truly is a franchise player. You can compare him to Nathan Mckinnon.

Stephens and Strome play in a very weak GTHL this year. They get alot of support from the Webb brothers, Robinson, et all......

I personally think they are a grade below the Elgin Middlesex boys and possibly the Oakville kids.

Remember last year, I loved Sam Bennett from the start of the season, and most bloggers said that Bennett was overrated because he played with McDavid???

Lets wait and see.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:19 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
korostolev is the best player in the loop by far, even with Day getting ES. I dont know the rules, but does the ES kid have to go #1, or can he also go #2?

Konecny has better speed and hands then Korostolev, but you cannot teach a kid to be a strong, 6'3", power forward with goal scorer's gift. He truly is a franchise player. You can compare him to Nathan Mckinnon.

Stephens and Strome play in a very weak GTHL this year. They get alot of support from the Webb brothers, Robinson, et all......

I personally think they are a grade below the Elgin Middlesex boys and possibly the Oakville kids.

Remember last year, I loved Sam Bennett from the start of the season, and most bloggers said that Bennett was overrated because he played with McDavid???

Lets wait and see.
Im guessing u havent seen Sean Day play? ES goes anywhere he is selected. They go #1 because they are above the rest at that time. Korostelev is not 6-3. U give credit to Korostelev for being a force in a weak GTHL but for Strome and Stephens u seem to think it makes them look better than what they are.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:49 AM
checkmate3

Have to agree, Capobianco is a good player, however is ranked wayed too high.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
Have to agree, Capobianco is a good player, however is ranked wayed too high.
I'm told Spencer has significant NCAA offers, mulling those over. Lots will change though by April!

Old
12-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:

Lets wait and see.
Korostolev is good, I don't think he is as good as Strome or Stephens, but will go in the 1st rd. I agree with you on the Webbs and Robinson being great support for the big 2. I don't think they get enough credit. Where do you put them in the OHL draft?

Old
12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Korostolev is good, I don't think he is as good as Strome or Stephens, but will go in the 1st rd. I agree with you on the Webbs and Robinson being great support for the big 2. I don't think they get enough credit. Where do you put them in the OHL draft?
Top 3 forwards in the GTHL are Korostelev, STephens and Strome. Thats a no-brainer. Ive been impressed with Korostelev since the playoffs last year with 96 Vaughn Kings. I personally have not figured out what order yet those 3 belong in. I need to see them against top teams like in the later rounds of the GTHL playoffs, Marlies tourney and Ohl cup. There is no doubt Korostelev has the most developed shot ive seen in the last few years. Im not that impressed with him in the defensive zone right now. I think I could make a case for each of those 3 being selected before the other 2.

The 2 Webbs,Fregona and Robinson are the most consistent Marlie forwards. The 2 webbs have very limited offensive upside at this point, I like there work ethic, skating and forecheck. Robinson has the potential to shoot up the draft in the next few months. He's got a great shot, strong kid,he is pretty consistent as well, he is built like Bo Horvat. So size is not an issue. Robinson has potential to be in the Top 2 rounds and will be the 3rd Marlie forward drafted.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Luvtowatch

[QUOTE=mapleleaf979;56262113]Top 3 forwards in the GTHL are Korostelev, STephens and Strome. Thats a no-brainer. Ive been impressed with Korostelev since the playoffs last year with 96 Vaughn Kings. I personally have not figured out what order yet those 3 belong in. I need to see them against top teams like in the later rounds of the GTHL playoffs, Marlies tourney and Ohl cup. There is no doubt Korostelev has the most developed shot ive seen in the last few years. Im not that impressed with him in the defensive zone right now. I think I could make a case for each of those 3 being selected before the other 2.

The 2 Webbs,Fregona and Robinson are the most consistent Marlie forwards. The 2 webbs have very limited offensive upside at this point, I like there work ethic, skating and forecheck. Robinson has the potential to shoot up the draft in the next few months. He's got a great shot, strong kid,he is pretty consistent as well, he is built like Bo Horvat. So size is not an issue. Robinson has potential to be in the Top 2 rounds and will be the 3rd Marlie forward drafted.[/QUOTE
Sounds right, Robinson has great hands, better than the Webbs. Fregona is a treat to watch, great skill, very tenacious, but small.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:05 PM
skating101

I think todays list is more like

1. Petes - Travis Konency- F ..Top 97 player
2. Ottawa - Dylan Strome- F ..High IQ offensively gifted
3. Erie - Zach Wierenski- D ..Top 97 D (NCAA?)
4. Sudbury - Matt Spencer- D ..Big upside
5. Saginaw - Mitchell Stephens- ..F ..Explosive skater
6. Soo - Blake Speers- F ..Hometown speedy forward
7. Kingston - Nik Korostolev- F ..Gifted sniper
8. N. Bay - Lawson Crouse- F ..Big and skilled
9. Plymouth - Troy Henley- D ..Physical strong skating D
10. Sarnia - Denis Yan- F ..Connection
11. Belleville - Brett MacKenzie- F ..Two way forward
12. Mississauga - Michael Davies- F ..Big body sniper
13. Oshawa - Josh Defarias- D ..High IQ gifted skater
14. Guelph - Cole Mayo- D .. Offensive D
15. Niagara - Aaron Luchuk- F .. Skilled strong forward
16. Kitchener - Kyle Capobianco- D- ..High IQ skilled D
17. Barrie - Tyler MacArthur- D ..Hometown Big body D
18. Owen Sound - Garrett McFadden- D ..Hometown high offensive skill D
19. London - Connor Walters- D ..Solid D

Old
12-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Garyboy

A little off topic, so my apologies. Just viewed the Marlboro Holiday Classic schedule and noticed there's a team called PEAC Russia. Can any of you shed some light on who these guys are? I assume it's a team from that PEAC sports school, but the Russian part has me stumped. Thanks.

Also, on December 27th, the powerhouse '98 Marlies are playing the Moscow Selects. Should be a good game.

Last edited by Garyboy: 12-05-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 03:24 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Im guessing u havent seen Sean Day play? ES goes anywhere he is selected. They go #1 because they are above the rest at that time. Korostelev is not 6-3. U give credit to Korostelev for being a force in a weak GTHL but for Strome and Stephens u seem to think it makes them look better than what they are.
I saw Day play against Hamilton and the best skater in years I agree. I also saw him make 3 giveaways in 3 passes. That will drive a coach crazy. Remember the name Ryan Murphy.

He seems to cocky and that will get him into trouble if he tries to skate and dangle too much. Remember the name Joshua Ho Sang.

Marlies have alot more support around Stephens and Strome. You saw what happened at Silver Stick with Jr. Cdns without Korostolev.

I still think Korostolev is a better, more impact player in OHL then Day, next year. The future will tell.

Hopefully Korostolev's arm/hand injury heals well and thus we will be able to see the real deal after Xmas.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:27 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
I think todays list is more like

1. Petes - Travis Konency- F ..Top 97 player
2. Ottawa - Dylan Strome- F ..High IQ offensively gifted
3. Erie - Zach Wierenski- D ..Top 97 D (NCAA?)
4. Sudbury - Matt Spencer- D ..Big upside
5. Saginaw - Mitchell Stephens- ..F ..Explosive skater
6. Soo - Blake Speers- F ..Hometown speedy forward
7. Kingston - Nik Korostolev- F ..Gifted sniper
8. N. Bay - Lawson Crouse- F ..Big and skilled
9. Plymouth - Troy Henley- D ..Physical strong skating D
10. Sarnia - Denis Yan- F ..Connection
11. Belleville - Brett MacKenzie- F ..Two way forward
12. Mississauga - Michael Davies- F ..Big body sniper
13. Oshawa - Josh Defarias- D ..High IQ gifted skater
14. Guelph - Cole Mayo- D .. Offensive D
15. Niagara - Aaron Luchuk- F .. Skilled strong forward
16. Kitchener - Kyle Capobianco- D- ..High IQ skilled D
17. Barrie - Tyler MacArthur- D ..Hometown Big body D
18. Owen Sound - Garrett McFadden- D ..Hometown high offensive skill D
19. London - Connor Walters- D ..Solid D
Korostolev, Crousse and MacArthur should all be higher rated, especially the Russian (#1).

Old
12-06-2012, 04:14 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I saw Day play against Hamilton and the best skater in years I agree. I also saw him make 3 giveaways in 3 passes. That will drive a coach crazy. Remember the name Ryan Murphy.

He seems to cocky and that will get him into trouble if he tries to skate and dangle too much. Remember the name Joshua Ho Sang.

Marlies have alot more support around Stephens and Strome. You saw what happened at Silver Stick with Jr. Cdns without Korostolev.

I still think Korostolev is a better, more impact player in OHL then Day, next year. The future will tell.

Hopefully Korostolev's arm/hand injury heals well and thus we will be able to see the real deal after Xmas.
U have seen Sean Day play ONCE and your labeling him as cocky? Thats jumping the gun from my standpoint. Hosang had repeated games of not sharing the puck, I thought it was realistic to mention it at that time but now its over and done with and in the past. Hosang is playing extremely well now and from my perspective is playing his best hockey since the beginning of minor midget. Elite prospects are scouted more and people, myself included are more critical of them at times because u have already seen how high that player sets the bar. His future is very very bright. I think your alone on your Korostelev #1 thoughts. The marlies surprised me at Silver STicks. That team has different gears thats for sure. It will be interesting to see if they can repeat at the Marlies Classic. Divisions are well balanced. Cheers.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:56 PM
mapleleaf979

Noah Bushnell(Sun County) vs Alex Black(Kitchener Rangers JR). Minor Midget Scrap, helmets off. Both are highly regarded Alliance Prospects and big boys. Little hand shake at the end, gotta love it. Bushnell plays a very physical game, something that will help him seamlessly adapt to the OHL. Not a great fighter, but his chin is good as he takes a few. He wont be pushed around in the OHL. Very developed Physically for his age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0HEqLgUIdVc

Old
12-07-2012, 12:44 PM
scout97

1. D/ Sean day
2. F/ Nikita korostelev
3. D/ zach werenski
4. F/ Travis konecny
5. F/ Mitchell stephans
6. F/ Dylan strome
7. D/ matt Spencer
8. F/ Dennis yan
9. F/ brett McKenzie
10. F/ Lawson crouse
11. D/ Troy henely
12. D/ garret McFadden
13. F/ Michael Davies
14. D/ connor Walters
15. F/ Sam Harding
16. D/ Cole mayo
17. D/ Cameron lizzote
18. D/ josh defairis
19. D/ connor schlitchling

Old
12-07-2012, 04:38 PM
mapleleaf979

Does anyone know whats happening with Chad Krys? Does he want to play in the OHL? IVe heard some say he just as good as Sean Day. Any info would be fantastic. Thanks guys. His stat line this year is
32gp: 15G, 29A=44pts +32.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:56 PM
scout97

Quote:
Does anyone know whats happening with Chad Krys? Does he want to play in the OHL? IVe heard some say he just as good as Sean Day. Any info would be fantastic. Thanks guys. His stat line this year is
I don't think he is wanting to play in the ohl. Day has already talked with branch and it sounds like he could apply for ES. I think day is ahead of krys but not by much. If both of them want it, it looks like day will be
The one getting it.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Doesn't he live in Connecticut?
That'd put him in QMJHL territory.

Closed Thread