Old
12-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

vCash: 500
Scutaro to Giants

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/sta...79458455638016
Quote:
Source: Scutaro in agreement with #SFGiants, $20 million for three years.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:30 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

vCash: 50
Championship!

SHAR KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Clowe Me

Another overpayment to keep the guy they wanted. He'll be 40 when this deal expires...

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:51 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Another overpayment to keep the guy they wanted. He'll be 40 when this deal expires...
Does this mean he is on the bench in 2014 and we win another World Series? Sabean is trying to do everything the same, hahaha

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
Does this mean he is on the bench in 2014 and we win another World Series? Sabean is trying to do everything the same, hahaha
I don't think he goes full Huff on the Giants, but he is probably going to break down at some point. I really like Scutaro, but 6.66/yr for 3 years is a lot. This isn't as bad as the Affeldt deal, though.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Why are the Giants not trying to improve their offense? They're keeping the same team that finished dead last in offense, although a healthy Sandoval could help their home run total a bit. But even then, they'd only have two legit power hitters (him and Posey) in their lineup unless Brandon Belt visits BALCO this winter. I'm still surprised that they are not after Hamilton.

EDIT: Forgot about Hunter Pence. My bad. But still, they need to replace Melky in left. What the **** are they gonna expect from Blanco?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:03 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
Why do you hate every deal the Giants make? Oh right you're an A's fan... Makes sense.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:10 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Why are the Giants not trying to improve their offense? They're keeping the same team that finished dead last in offense, although a healthy Sandoval could help their home run total a bit. But even then, they'd only have two legit power hitters (him and Posey) in their lineup unless Brandon Belt visits BALCO this winter. I'm still surprised that they are not after Hamilton.

EDIT: Forgot about Hunter Pence. My bad. But still, they need to replace Melky in left. What the **** are they gonna expect from Blanco?
Wrong. Giants scored the 12th most runs in the MLB, 5th best AVG and had the 8th best OBP. Also they were 2nd in the MLB in runs scored a game on the road.

The Dodgers with all the big names they got finished 26th in runs scored.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:14 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Dodgers didn't have those names til later in the season and didn't even see Crawford play. A gon is the best player they got IMO, hate that he is a dodger

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW52 View Post
Wrong. Giants scored the 12th most runs in the MLB, 5th best AVG and had the 8th best OBP. Also they were 2nd in the MLB in runs scored a game on the road.

The Dodgers with all the big names they got finished 26th in runs scored.
I meant to say dead last in home runs. Their pythagorean W-L suggests that their offense could use some help next season.

And you do realize that the "big names" only arrived after the first half of the season, right? The Dodgers were the ones that were dead last in home runs and runs scored at the time. But after those trades, they hit more home runs than the Giants and jumped to 26th in runs scored.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Quote:

And you do realize that the "big names" only arrived after the first half of the season, right? The Dodgers were the ones that were dead last in home runs and runs scored at the time. But after those trades, they hit more home runs than the Giants and jumped to 26th in runs scored.
It wasnt even after the first half, the trade went down at the end of August, so a little over a month.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:17 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

78 M for Pagan, Affeldt and Scutaro. Same old Sabean.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:49 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
I meant to say dead last in home runs. Their pythagorean W-L suggests that their offense could use some help next season.

Dude, park effects.

The Giants play in one of the worst places in baseball to hit, and I believe the single worst stadium for home runs. They hit 31 home runs at home for the entire year. They led the National League in runs scored on the road.

The reason their pythag wasn't great was because the pitching staff was nowhere near as good as casual, mainstream fans thought. Lincecum was the worst starter in the NL, Vogelsong and Bumgarner both had some pretty bad stretches and the revived Barry Zito was the same crappy Zito as ever, he just finally got the rub of the green when it came to wins. The bullpen was still good but weaker than previous years, with Beard blowing out his elbow.

I'm a little concerned that Sabean seems to be repeating the same MO as in 2010 - let's get the band back together! - but I am not terribly concerned by the offense. It should be fine.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:21 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
78 M for Pagan, Affeldt and Scutaro. Same old Sabean.
2 WS in 3 years, Baseball Americas Executive of the Year, but he sucks.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

not really that surprising now is it?

12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Why do you hate every deal the Giants make? Oh right you're an A's fan... Makes sense.
So being an A's fan inherently makes me hate the Giants? Not only is that logically incorrect it's also factually incorrect.

Quote:
2 WS in 3 years, Baseball Americas Executive of the Year, but he sucks.
They won with talent drafted and developed. They signed Huff right after the first WS win and I and everyone else called it a bad deal and the team won in spite of that.

If you were to ask Sabean if he overpaid for Affeldt, Pagan and Scutaro, he'd say he did.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:07 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
So being an A's fan inherently makes me hate the Giants? Not only is that logically incorrect it's also factually incorrect.

They won with talent drafted and developed. They signed Huff right after the first WS win and I and everyone else called it a bad deal and the team won in spite of that.

If you were to ask Sabean if he overpaid for Affeldt, Pagan and Scutaro, he'd say he did.
Just messing with you. I also think he overpaid, but he had no choice. Giants have no 2nd base prospects and the 2nd base FA market is crap. Either overpay Scutaro or have manny Burris/theriot play 2nd, I'll take an overpaid Scutaro over them. The Huff deal was bad because belt was waiting in the wings and huff got 2 years... Terrible, but in this case the giants have no 2nd base/centerfield prospects so i like the deals. Affeldt may be overpaid, but most relievers now a days are, see Broxton and Leauge.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:13 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:

So the Giants won 2 WS in 3 years, but Sabean had nothing to do with them? Okay.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
So the Giants won 2 WS in 3 years, but Sabean had nothing to do with them? Okay.
I never said that. I said they drafted well and have developed players well, both of which Sabean plays a roll in.

Sabean is not good with FA contracts. He never has been. The fact that the team is successful is irrelevant to that.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Definitely didn't see this one coming. Oh wait, yes I did.

Well the good news is that should this deal go badly, and it likely will by year 2, at least the Giants aren't shy about cutting their losses.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:17 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
I never said that. I said they drafted well and have developed players well, both of which Sabean plays a roll in.

Sabean is not good with FA contracts. He never has been. The fact that the team is successful is irrelevant to that.
Fair enough.