HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Lockout II - Moderated: Talk about your plenty, Talk about your ills...

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 300
I wonder if the Burton report is legit, or just a bunch of hoo-haa.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
Daly denied the rumours of an imminent deal. His denial was absolute. I don't think he'd lie about that, instead of simply denying having any information.
Dunno. Happened in MLB when it leaked out a deal was imminent and then I believe the union backed out. If I was Daly I'd deny it until it was 100% official.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinswillwin77 View Post
I wonder if the Burton report is legit, or just a bunch of hoo-haa.
It may not be true, but I doubt a reporter who's at least decently established would report it if he didn't believe his source.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
=You really believe what Daly says? Common, he is the best liar around after Gary Bettman.
Nah, you have to rank Fehr above Daly, and I'd put Bettman/Fehr in a dead heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks fan 209 View Post
Didn't the players suggest this at the beginning of this whole mess? We will soon later see tweets about how the meeting was a disappointment and no traction was gained.
Yes, the players offered to play but I don't think it would be with the current CBA technically in place, which would mean they could strike. If the players were sincere about playing with the CBA in place and negotiating, they would have done so when the league first asked them to do it back in November, 2011. Difference would have been they would have been unable to strike under the terms of the CBA, which was in effect at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
The owners through Daly will say something like "The players have shown they have no clue how business actually works"
Well, at least there would be one accurate statement coming out of the meeting, then. And I don't mean that disrespectfully. Most people have no idea how complex this business is and how it works. Some are just smart enough to admit it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I don't think it's particularly bad. In a way, the more ears in the room (up to a point), the better group recollection of what was said, their impressions of sincerity, feeling/mood, will be more accurate.
This depends upon the diversity of the group of players. The league has sent a pretty good cross-section of owners. If the players who are there are all die-hard-owners-are-Satanic types, it wouldn't matter if there are 6 of them or 600.

[MOD]

Last edited by Boltsfan2029: 12-04-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: if it gets caught in the filter, it's in there for a reason. Do not circumvent it
Old
12-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

"Hello, welcome. There is disappointed and coffee on the table in the corner. We'll go for two hours and then take a disappointed before we reconvene and continue disappointing."

-Bill Daly, welcoming the PA delegation to this super special meeting

Old
12-04-2012, 04:59 PM
SupremefartMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Good luck with that. Jacobs has taken lessons from President Bush on how to dodge shoes.

However, he hasn't taken lessons on how to dodge a bus, let's hope somebody slaps him with one of those...
Being a Bruins fan hurts sometimes, Jacobs is usually the reason.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quick question - what were the terms of the owners' last "make whole" offer? Did they say they would pay 100% (no payback from players) over time, or is it still asking the players pay themselves back? I thought they had agreed that they (owners) would foot the entire make whole monies. No?

Old
12-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremefartMachine View Post
For real. You'd think someone in their latter stages of life would want to see hockey being played; Especially where the team he owns is on the upswing of things. Sad to think someone at his age is still trying to salvage every penny he can get rather then seeing his sport being played in the NHL.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Quick question - what were the terms of the owners' last "make whole" offer? Did they say they would pay 100% (no payback from players) over time, or is it still asking the players pay themselves back? I thought they had agreed that they (owners) would foot the entire make whole monies. No?
Yeah, the last offer was that the owners would have the make whole come out of their share in years 3 and 4.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:35 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

Is there a press conference or just a media scum?

Last edited by mouser: 12-04-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 413
Is the meeting still going?

Old
12-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
I remember when he and Ilitch got into it because Ilitch called him cheap, so after Marty Lapointe put up 27 goals Jacobs thought he'd be a genius and steal him away from Ilitch.

$5M (A lot at that time) a year for a guy who never broke 20 again. Suck it Jeremy.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:55 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Is the meeting still going?
Check the updates in the meeting thread.

Met about 5.5 hours (small and large groups). Now have broken for dinner and MAY talk again tonight.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Aaron Ward
All indications are that they are going to meet again. If not tonight,then tomorrow.Positive feedback so far. #TSN

This is one of those situations where if there is some positivity between the two sides, then they need to use the momentum of the meetings to get something tangible done. Sitting on the current talks for any amount of time is not a good idea as the sides may get entrenched in their initial demands and lose the willingness to budge.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:26 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Is there a press conference or just a media scum?
Epic typo.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:29 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

The fact players aren't being made available is awesome news IMO. So long as there isn't an intention to posture I think it means there's progress being made.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Tinalera

What I'm going to look for after the meetings are done, is if there is positive information going on, that's great. The question is how long will that positivity last when they go back to Fehr/Bettman, will it carry over.

Will also be interesting to hear if either side makes reference even in mild remark about "getting more information than before"-ergo, was there some way in which PA/NHL camps maybe weren't getting as much information before.

It could be an interesting couple of days.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry, not a lot of sympathy here when the Patriots are the LEAST recent of the 4 major sports in Boston to have won a championship.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Other than the 50/50 and Make Whole element wich I think should stay put, I think to be fair, the owners should let the Free Agency be as it is and give the players two more years on the contract length. Instead of 5 years limit, go to 7 years.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Other than the 50/50 and Make Whole element wich I think should stay put, I think to be fair, the owners should let the Free Agency be as it is and give the players two more years on the contract length. Instead of 5 years limit, go to 7 years.
Yes, but there's a specific reason they're looking for 5. I think it's 2 fold. One is the insurance. If it's costing 400k to insure Crosby's contract - or rather the first 5 years of it, what's the league paying yearly for insurance? 30m+? The other is the idea that ELC's is reduced and FA is extended. Meaning the player is a RFA when signing the 3rd contract (if they signed for the max of 5 years in their 2nd contract).

I get the players complaining of this - it's something the league is restricting... however the reality is it only impacts a very small group of players.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
12-05-2012, 01:37 AM
RECsGuy*

I said it a while back and I'll say it agin:

Like the NBA did a year ago, we will wake up Christmas day to NHL action that kicks off the 2012-2013 regular season.

And, yes, you will ALL come back, and gladly so.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:39 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
The Leafs make more profit playing under a CBA and paying RS than they ever did with no cap and no RS.

Edit: People seem to assume that it's the rich markets that don't want to share their money. There are only three guaranteed money makers in the league - RS is required by the TOP TEN teams. Ever think that maybe the issue with massively increasing RS is because there aren't enough guaranteed markets and it's the other owners who don't want to make that commitment?
The RS requirements are part of the CBA negotiations. If the top-3 markets wanted to, they could easily say 'hey guys, let's redefine RS based on % of league income so the largest teams pay the most into RS'

Could be achieved by sorting the franchises from largest % contribution to smallest, and then divide the league into tirtiles (T1 = franchises that make up the top 33.3% of HRR, T2 = franchises that make up the middle 33.3% of HRR, T3 = franchisest hat make up the bottom 33.3% of HRR). The teams that constitute T1 pay RS, the teams that constitute T3 benefit from RS.

12-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Yes, but there's a specific reason they're looking for 5. I think it's 2 fold. One is the insurance. If it's costing 400k to insure Crosby's contract - or rather the first 5 years of it, what's the league paying yearly for insurance? 30m+? The other is the idea that ELC's is reduced and FA is extended. Meaning the player is a RFA when signing the 3rd contract (if they signed for the max of 5 years in their 2nd contract).

I get the players complaining of this - it's something the league is restricting... however the reality is it only impacts a very small group of players.
Don't the players get a 3 years contract as rookies first where they can't get a certain amount?

Old
12-05-2012, 02:25 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Don't the players get a 3 years contract as rookies first where they can't get a certain amount?
ELS deals are max 3 years in length, and have limits as to salary, bonuses (in the 2005 CBA).

Where some owners/GMs do not seem to be able to exercise any control is in the second contract (after the ELS) and other pre-UFA deals. There's been some discussion of putting a $$ limit and/or term limit on the 2nd contract in the new CBA.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:52 AM
KPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I don't think anybody's pulling the wool over anyone's eyes, but it's always been clear that the players are losing more money in the cancelling of games than they're fighting for. And I'm not sure someone has necessarily made this clear to them.

I don't think anybody's pulling the wool over anyone's eyes, but it's always been clear that the owners are losing more money in the cancelling of games than they're fighting for. And I'm not sure someone has necessarily made this clear to them.

Closed Thread