HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Thread Part VII : Tips and Tricks Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 07:22 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Everyone come up and visit, I shall be your guide in eating all the wings. It's a regular thing for me to have them 1-2 times a week, I'm nuts. my girlfriend thinks I'm nuts. She tried one and she was fliiping out (She's from mid state around Binghamton.)
Woah, woah, woah, GIRLFRIEND!?!? Is this from a result of our Facebook "searching"

Either way, nice going TCRF

Old
12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
, GIRLFRIEND!?!? Is this from a result of our Facebook "searching"

Either way, nice going TCRF
Woah, woah, woah

Old
12-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Everyone come up and visit, I shall be your guide in eating all the wings. It's a regular thing for me to have them 1-2 times a week, I'm nuts. my girlfriend thinks I'm nuts. She tried one and she was fliiping out (She's from mid state around Binghamton.)
Didn't you just break up with someone? What is going on? Who am I?

12-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Yeah guys so I went to see this girl I had spoke about last week, on Saturday. She asked me if I was going to some Christmas parade in the area, and I said no. She said she was going with her baby, and would see me there if I went. Minutes after driving away from there I realized I was an idiot, and could have made plans. 3 straight days I've been in there, and she hasn't been working.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:36 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Yeah, that's missing your chance to pounce. But, when that chance presents itself again some day, remember, pounce means nonchalantly answering in a way that doesn't seem over eager or committed but leaves you open to hanging out if they express interest.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yeah guys so I went to see this girl I had spoke about last week, on Saturday. She asked me if I was going to some Christmas parade in the area, and I said no. She said she was going with her baby, and would see me there if I went. Minutes after driving away from there I realized I was an idiot, and could have made plans. 3 straight days I've been in there, and she hasn't been working.

That was a great chance!

Old
12-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

The entirety of this "Tips and Tricks" thread success depends on you Brian! There will be more chances and you will make good with them!

Old
12-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Got to go get that!

Old
12-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Actually Bob I think this describes it better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
The entirety of this "Tips and Tricks" thread success depends on you Brian! There will be more chances and you will make good with them!
Well thanks for the kind words, but I do have some OCD going on. About a month ago when I started seeing her less frequently I kept thinking she might not work there. Then my buddy who goes there every Sunday morning sees her in there every week on Sunday morning, but last week. I always have this strange feeling she stopped working there.

I guess it's not too creepy to ask someone there right? Then again she could have just gotten off, and been working in the later morning/early afternoon when I'm at work.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:38 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Ask in a vague way. "Hey, whatever happened to that really nice girl with the bright purple hair and four noses? She was always so friendly" For example. Rather than asking in a straight forward, suspicious, creepy, specific way.

Also, you shouldn't OCD/obsess over a girl who is, for all purposes, basically a stranger. It never leads to anything good and isn't healthy.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:42 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Anyone wear size 46 authentic jersey? I kind of want to sell my Callahan (home, 85th anniversary patch on the shoulder, assistant's A) and get a Girardi because I think Callahan has become over-popular in the past couple of seasons (I bought mine like 4 years ago, added the A when he got the A and the 85th patch during the 85th season) while Girardi is under represented in the stands and I HATE having a jersey that's super common (that's why I added the 85th patch in the first place, to make it stand out). It's basically mint, if anyone is interested. Also, people always tell me 46 is too small, but I'm 5'9 200lbs and like... really built... and it's fine on me, even with a sweater. I never understand when people tell me 46 won't fit them. I'm bigger than most of them. Anyhow... not really expecting anyone to be interested, just venting because my birthday is Saturday, Xmas is coming up, and I can't think of anything I want except a Girardi jersey

Old
12-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Ask in a vague way. "Hey, whatever happened to that really nice girl with the bright purple hair and four noses? She was always so friendly" For example. Rather than asking in a straight forward, suspicious, creepy, specific way.

Also, you shouldn't OCD/obsess over a girl who is, for all purposes, basically a stranger. It never leads to anything good and isn't healthy.
Haha not obsessing over her, but not sure what the word is. Just keep thinking she doesn't work there when I don't see her for long periods of time. I do a lot of worrying. Most of the time it's all for nothing though. I always think the worst case scenario on certain things.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:36 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Haha not obsessing over her, but not sure what the word is. Just keep thinking she doesn't work there when I don't see her for long periods of time. I do a lot of worrying. Most of the time it's all for nothing though. I always think the worst case scenario on certain things.
Ever heard of "The Secret"? Read the book or watch the film. Sure, it's a bit "new age" or (harmlessly) cult-ish seeming, at first, and you'll feel a bit silly, especially if you watch the film, but if you take even a bit of it to heart it will probably be a huge help. Unless you can tell me you don't have 90 spare minutes in your life, take my advice and netflix it. It might really improve the quality of your life and it sure as **** won't hurt it any. Same goes to every single person on here, actually. No matter who you are. Again, sure, it might seem corny and lame but I promise, there isn't a single person who can't benefit from it. Even if you don't buy into it 100%, the overall message and idea is one that is simply healthy and should promote a good feeling.

Last edited by SERE 24: 12-04-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Ever heard of "The Secret"? Read the book or watch the film. Sure, it's a big "new age" or (harmlessly) cult-ish seeming, at first, and you'll feel a bit silly, especially if you watch the film, but if you take even a bit of it to heart it will probably be a huge help. Unless you can tell me you don't have 90 spare minutes in your life, take my advice and netflix it. It might really improve the quality of your life and it sure as **** won't hurt it any. Same goes to every single person on here, actually. No matter who you are. Again, sure, it might seem corny and lame but I promise, there isn't a single person who can't benefit from it. Even if you don't buy into it 100%, the overall message and idea is one that is simply healthy and should promote a good feeling.
Is this the movie with the X Files guy? Where his wife dies in a car accident, and his daughter was in the car too. She survives physically, but mentally she becomes the wife?

Old
12-04-2012, 11:54 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Is this the movie with the X Files guy? Where his wife dies in a car accident, and his daughter was in the car too. She survives physically, but mentally she becomes the wife?
Nah, it's a 'non-fiction' kind of "self help" thing. It's not really "self help". It's like a philosophy basically, for learning not to worry and how to attract good things to yourself, every day. It's not too long, it's a little corny but it's harmless and everyone I know who has ever watched/read it, even if they've said they thought it was silly, lame, corny, embarrassing to admit to, etc. all have said they agreed with it fundamentally and thought it was helpful. Trust me, it's definitely like... a goofy film to watch, especially at a stranger's recommendation but, like I said, it's harmless and almost every body can benefit from it. It's not radical at all. Nothing controversial or that will offend or disagree with anyone's beliefs. It's also pretty widely known of and I believe it's available on netflix. It's more popular than people let on; I think a lot of people have read or watched it and just don't mention it because, as I say, you can feel kind of goofy watching it.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Nah, it's a 'non-fiction' kind of "self help" thing. It's not really "self help". It's like a philosophy basically, for learning not to worry and how to attract good things to yourself, every day. It's not too long, it's a little corny but it's harmless and everyone I know who has ever watched/read it, even if they've said they thought it was silly, lame, corny, embarrassing to admit to, etc. all have said they agreed with it fundamentally and thought it was helpful. Trust me, it's definitely like... a goofy film to watch, especially at a stranger's recommendation but, like I said, it's harmless and almost every body can benefit from it. It's not radical at all. Nothing controversial or that will offend or disagree with anyone's beliefs. It's also pretty widely known of and I believe it's available on netflix. It's more popular than people let on; I think a lot of people have read or watched it and just don't mention it because, as I say, you can feel kind of goofy watching it.
Interesting. Will definitely check it out.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Oh good! I was gonna say ''Why are you recommending that weird movie for?'' if it was the one I saw which is also called ''The Secret''. I will check it out. Don't have Netflix, but my buddy does, and has let me stream stuff before since I let him come over, and watch my center ice!

Old
12-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Well, Manhunter has thoroughly spooked me simply from "The Tooth Fairy".

"Well.....here I.........am".

Old
12-05-2012, 01:00 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Oh good! I was gonna say ''Why are you recommending that weird movie for?'' if it was the one I saw which is also called ''The Secret''. I will check it out. Don't have Netflix, but my buddy does, and has let me stream stuff before since I let him come over, and watch my center ice!
Helpful hint: just log into netflix on his account from your house one day and save the login information on the browser/device and you can use it indefinitely. My account is hooked up to my computer, my girlfriend's computer, my little brother's computer at school, my girlfriend's little brother's computer at his house, my PS3 and her little brother's xbox and they all work. But yeah, check it out.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

This, "The Secret" piece is alright but yes it is indeed extremely corny and flowery for essentially telling you to love yourself.

Despite that, I was very taken aback by these proclamations that very real diseases and ills are simply results of stress and an imbalance in thinking that can be cured with little more than good vibrations.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:43 AM
SERE 24
LGR

It's more than just love yourself, in my opinion. Although, that certainly goes along with it. It's about retraining your brain. We do think far too negatively. We think in the negative tense, basically.

We focus on what we don't want, what we're afraid of, what could go wrong, what we hope to avoid, who we hope not to run into, etc. We focus on hoping we don't get sick, we're not late, etc. Love yourself or not, the idea that focusing on being healthy, rather than not getting sick sounds like the same thing, but under examination, it's actually quite easy to see how it's not. One is focusing on sickness. Just because you keep telling yourself you don't want to get sick, still doesn't mean you're not focusing on sickness. Your thoughts and your energy. The other focuses simply on health. It sounds so simple, maybe even unimportant, but it's amazing how much of a difference it can actually make in practice.

I'm not even close to perfect. I fall into negative thought patterns all of the time. Literally every day. I focus on what I don't want all the time. And worry. But whenevr I can catch myself and am conscious of my thoughts (fairly rare, it's usually a constant, unfiltered steam) I try to focus on reversing the habit and focusing positively and, despite not being able to maintain it for significant stretches, I'm always amazed at how things seem to go my way when I'm doing it for a few days. Trust me, it just kind of works. Even with things like money it has worked for me. I was so stressed mid-November about Christmas shopping and stuff and how close to broke I was getting and then I caught myself and for a few days I was focused on being really proactive and thinking super positively in an affirmative, positive tense and very shockingly, a check dated from September 19th, from my previous job showed up in my mail box, on like November 20th, for over $800. Never knew this check even existed or that I was owed money.

Anyhow, I think it's an interesting philosophy and definitely worth attempting to put into practice every now and then. The better you can become at it, the better it seems to work and even if it never attracts anything physical or substantial your way, it still seems like a healthier, happier way of learning to think which, in theory, should attract better things your way anyhow. So, while I would say it's more about, literally, the law of attraction and that whatever we focus on, we attract, I would agree that, at it's core, it does in fact LEAD to loving yourself. I really endorse it as a practice, even if the presentation is totally corny.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:51 AM
SERE 24
LGR

And on that whole love yourself note, I am totally loving myself right now because I am ****ED UP on pain pills. The following story is the reason, but I am high as a kite right now and I love it. I know it's not exactly smiled upon, but if I was ever going to have a true vice in life, I'd give up alcohol for a lifetime supply of strong pills in a heartbeat. They make me feel good physically, and make me feel sharper and more focused mentally, as well as more genuine and open emotionally. Why can't people just handle their crap and enjoy certain things in moderation so that these substances (opiates, not prescriptions) could be legal for everyone to enjoy in moderation, dammit?

Anyhow, my story, from earlier:

Quote:
At the invitation of a guy who I would only call a "hockey buddy" and not a friend (met him playing with my usual group of ex-college/juniors guys) I played with a new group tonight for the first time. Skill level was high, a bit lower than my usual group, but the skate was more intense and just about everyone seemed to be taking it more seriously than our usual group skates.

My normal group has a really high skill level and we even get some ex-Islanders on a semi-regular basis, but we play a pretty leisurely pace with strong positional play and a lot of puck movement and patience. We hit, but we tend to keep anything more than a firm bump and pinning on the boards limited to guys who are regulars and we know are open to the big hits, or guys we know personally who can take it. We get a lot of patient, in zone puck movement and look for back door plays, redirects and pretty plays.

The new group, I was warned before hand, is more physical (I like to hit and the buddy who invited me and I often talk about wanting to throw the weight around or pick up the intensity once in a while, which is actually how the invitation eventually arose), but they also play with a kind of "urgency" which I wasn't really expecting. They don't keep score, but it feels like they're all keeping a mental tally and are playing to win. There's a lot less laughing, smiling and compliments flowing between benches. They skate together pretty regularly, apparently, but there's much less camaraderie.

Anyhow, like I said, the skill level was a bit lower but the intensity and physicality were a lot more. I tried to play pretty gentlemanly and not crush anyone I'd never met before, because I was the new guy and didn't want to be viewed as a jerk or get my buddy heckled for bringing me along. I laid a couple decent hits, had a really big, coincidental collision with a guy who made a really unpredictable cut at center (we both checked with each other to make sure we were good, gave each other a tap and kept playing) and had a couple of nice plays that resulted in goals for my side, but wasn't show boating or trying too hard to stand out (not to be confused with saying I wasn't trying; the skate was good and with the guys playing with such intensity, you had to be on your toes and make smart plays to keep up). The one thing I did do a lot though - and I was definitely aware of it - was that I kept stripping this one kid who was really trying (what seemed to be) as hard as he could, loved to carry the puck and try to beat people one on one (and was successful most of the time against most of the people on the ice) and was one of those guys who kind of makes unnecessarily fancy moves because they can. I get the feeling he's one of the top guys that comes down for them on a regular basis; he definitely had slicker hands than I could ever hope to. Anyhow, he kept trying to beat me one on one and I'm a really strong skater and better defensively than offensively. I kept stripping the puck, lifting his stick, stopping the puck with my skates and a couple of times I planted my feet and stepped into him (not a hit, but playing the body and bumping him off the puck) and I could tell it was frustrating him because he was a bit of a hot dog and obviously was used to having success against most of the guys. I was enjoying the challenge though. He did beat me a few times and I really like playing defense and pride myself on being good at it, so I was enjoying stopping him and kind of made it my goal of the skate to match up on him and play him tight (no tighter than others tried to, or the rest of the game was played in general).

Well, about 75 minutes into the game I went back into my own corner to retrieve a dump in and this dude boarded me harder than I've ever been hit. I mean, we're talking boarding, charging, roughing; the whole shebang. He cleaned my clock. I wear a half shield so I splattered my face into the boards and I cut my chin, bit my lip bad and got a bloody nose. I was pretty dazed as well. I tried to get up quick because I'm one of those guys who never likes to admit to being hurt or draw attention to myself, and I was pretty woozy but I shoved him while I was pawing my face trying to see which pieces were still intact and he actually slashed my ankle, despite me being a bloody mess. A couple of people told him to chill and someone grabbed him around the shoulders and everyone was asking if I was okay but I skated off and got undressed. A couple of the older guys came off to apologize and thank me for playing and stuff. I went to CVS and got gauze and shoved it up my nose and drove home pretty pissed off. Not how I wanted to enjoy my ice time.

And I'm going to go back and skate with them and lay the kid out next week. Clean and hard. He's good, especially his puck skills, but I'm better overall and I played at a higher level than him. I'm going to ring his bell. I'm not going to fight him, slash him, elbow him or even go head hunting. But I'm going to get my pound of flesh because, in every experience I've ever had, I expect open hockey to be, even when it's competitive, something that people who love the game do for fun. This 21 year old punk isn't going to take that away from me, even for one night. And I'm going to enjoy letting him know it.

And that's my rant. Thank god my dad has some vicodin lying around the house because my face HURTS.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:40 AM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

I scammed my way to a good grade

Remember that presentation I said I bombed about a month ago?
Turns out I got the best mark in the class even though we had the least substantive presentation of all the ones I saw. I captained that presentation from the get go because I realized the professor was very keen on the idea of group work and judging from the fact that he wants us to submit a workload spread eval. I did small things like suggest meeting places, book appointments, send out emails and brought a marker to the meeting room which had a white board and scribbled down ideas and other trivial stuff like that We got a dismal 64.2% but because people evaluated me to have done 24% of the work out of 6 people, I got 24% of all the possible points which is (6 X 64.2) * (.24) and I ended up with the highest mark in the class with 92.5%

Old
12-05-2012, 08:58 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

About to make an egg white sandwich and drown it with some coffee after a quick 2 minute plank

Wish me luck

Old
12-05-2012, 09:12 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
About to make an egg white sandwich and drown it with some coffee after a quick 2 minute plank

Wish me luck
LMAO. Based on your other posts about egg whites/yolks and now planks, are you trying to lose weight/get in shape? If you are, excluding ALL milk & sugar from coffee is a quick way to drop 5-10lbs in a couple of weeks and very good for you.

Closed Thread