HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012-2013 NHL Lockout Discussion Thread

View Poll Results: Will there be any NHL games before 8/15/13?
Heck yeah! 11 44.00%
Only on my Playstation 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-02-2012, 12:06 AM
XX
Lots of Try

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
All 3 of those are quality assets though, depending on whether Torres castrates himself.
Absolutely, they are. But Smith and Gordon had great years here in Phoenix and are unlikely to switch teams. Torres is unlikely to find a suitor that will pay him as much as the Coyotes will, given that he will most likely be a marked man. So I consider that hardly exposed, whereas some teams are looking at losing multiple core pieces.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Absolutely, they are. But Smith and Gordon had great years here in Phoenix and are unlikely to switch teams. Torres is unlikely to find a suitor that will pay him as much as the Coyotes will, given that he will most likely be a marked man. So I consider that hardly exposed, whereas some teams are looking at losing multiple core pieces.
I don't know about Torres, GMs love the opportunity of giving a player redemption, plus Torres might be pissed about GMDM not sticking up for him (or getting a gag order from ownership aka the NHL.)

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:20 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
I don't know about Torres, GMs love the opportunity of giving a player redemption, plus Torres might be pissed about GMDM not sticking up for him (or getting a gag order from ownership aka the NHL.)
He didn't stick up for him? How so? He was there with him at the meeting I believe, and we don't know what was said behind the closed doors to the panel, etc. The league threw the book at Torres because they needed to do something, and after the Torres incident, I believe there were no more suspensions handed down if I'm not mistaken. There might have been plays that were suspension worthy, but people were over it because of the massive sentence laid down on Torres, etc. The league did that to take attention away from the certain hits and what should happen.

Honestly, when we start playing hockey again, and when Torres gets announced, I want everyone in Jobing.com to stand on their feet and start chanting "Torres! Torres! Torres!" or "Raffi! Raffi! Raffi!". God knows I will for his first home game back. He was a great key to how we did well, he played hard in the playoffs and was always fighting for the puck and giving 110% effort. I want him back.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:54 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
All 3 of those are quality assets though, depending on whether Torres castrates himself.
I love what Gordon does on this team, but when it comes down to it he is replaceable too. Maloney excels at finding these types.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:55 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I love what Gordon does on this team, but when it comes down to it he is replaceable too. Maloney excels at finding these types.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:20 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

I was there.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:47 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
I was there.
I'm envious, that game was amazing. I heard "Smitty!" chants through the speakers on the TV. Crowd was great, so good on you guys that were there!

Old
12-02-2012, 04:32 AM
OOEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
I can't wait/wish we'd get to see Gordo on a PK with Kles and Z. It'd be like having four goalies out there with all the shot blocking.

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:05 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

I really hope we can bring back Smith and Gordon. I wouldn't take a chance on Torres. He needs to change his game or he'll continually be suspended. That reputation isn't going to go away even with no hockey this year. Problem is, if he changes his game he might not be effective anymore.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:41 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

"Make Whole" was offered to the nhlpa the 2nd week of October and defined for us fans the first week of November. That NHL offer back in October to save the 82 game season did have some contracting limitations that have since been softened through bargaining. The NHLPA has saved themselves an extra year on ELCs and lost at least 25% of their wages this season. Good job. "Make Whole" is bound to shrink significantly now that the league will he hard pressed to squeeze in even two thirds of a season.

If these NHLPA knuckleheads would've just negotiated off of the mid October NHL offer, they'd have been able to preserve 82 games, likely would've been able to bargain 211m in make whole to maybe 250m and moved the NHL even further in terms of team revenue sharing. The NHL's ELC and UFA demands were obviously meant to work together. The fact that they moved on ELC shows me they'd move ob UFA. The players would likely have been able to keep both untouched.

If they'd bumped Make Whole to 250m, got 82games worth of pay, sacrificed on contract term limit(say they got the nhl to six years), back diving contracts, and arbitration while getting the NHL to kick in even more team revenue sharing they'd be a week into a full season right now.

Can anyone reasonably expect they can now possibly get a deal approaching anywhere near that good? There is just no way in Hell. Best case scenario is they lose 30% of their wages this year due to lost games, they see revenue shrink, and Make Whole will he less than 211m. No matter how much they "win" in other areas of negotiation from this point on, theyll NEVER make up for what they lost in the three weeks of stupidity following the nhl's mid October offer.

They'd have been better off just saying "okay" and accepting that offer outright, sight unseen, based simply on trusting the owners than they are now.

12-04-2012, 10:58 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Last time the players gave in to the owners, they ended up with the better deal. A smart player union would agree to a reasonable revenue split (50/50 is fine) and in exchange go after all the small things owners could care less about (contracting rights) but that drastically affect players.

Sadly, there aren't a lot of smart players out there. They are under the impression that, somehow, owners don't want to grow revenues and make more money (thus paying players more). Hamrlik, Neuvirth, Jagr etc... all got tarred and feathered by fellow players for showing moderation. They've drank too much Fehr brand koolaid to turn back at this juncture. I suspect we will lose the season, the players will break and be curb stomped by the owners yet again. Considering how that turned out for everyone the last time around, it's for the best. Just not much fun for the fans.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Plus, it seems that the players think that each contract gets worse, so then why go for a shorter period of 6 years, agree to a 10 year contract. We wouldn't have been having this discussion now (at least for another 4 years) had they agreed to 10 years before.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:44 PM
awfulwaffle

Just play some god damn hockey already. This sucks!

Old
12-04-2012, 01:59 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Last time the players gave in to the owners, they ended up with the better deal. A smart player union would agree to a reasonable revenue split (50/50 is fine) and in exchange go after all the small things owners could care less about (contracting rights) but that drastically affect players.
This is one of the most frustrating things to me. The players seem to be re-fighting the "battle they lost in 2004", when it turned out after everything was said and done that they did quite well under the past CBA.

Quote:
Sadly, there aren't a lot of smart players out there. They are under the impression that, somehow, owners don't want to grow revenues and make more money (thus paying players more). Hamrlik, Neuvirth, Jagr etc... all got tarred and feathered by fellow players for showing moderation. They've drank too much Fehr brand koolaid to turn back at this juncture. I suspect we will lose the season, the players will break and be curb stomped by the owners yet again. Considering how that turned out for everyone the last time around, it's for the best. Just not much fun for the fans.
It does seem to be something of a dysfunctional union. I really can't blame Fehr--he's just doing what the union hired him to do in the first place.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:56 PM
zz

There just aren't any incentives for the majority of owners to cave in anyway. When you're posting losses at the end of each season like most teams do, what's the point of running a business?

The players are the ones risking a lot by not playing. Careers are pretty short. These are precious few months of potential income lost for the majority of players. So until another league starts paying as much as the NHL, or until most NHL clubs start turning in profits, owners will be dictating the outcome of work stoppages. It's not rocket science.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
EPIC FAIL!!!!!

10 FUN thing to do this week in the Valley
Quote:
PHOENIX COYOTES VS. MINNESOTA WILD
Where: Glendale-Jobing.com Arena
When: Wednesday, Dec 5, 7:30 p.m.

Come see the Phoenix Coyotes and Minnesota Wild battle it out on the ice Wednesday night. He recently performed at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/entertainme...#ixzz2E7SnKgjK

Lead article on Abc15 right now....

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:27 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

We should all go anyway

Old
12-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Mr Pukhead
Where's my ambulance

Quote:
We should all go anyway
It's too far to travel on a weeknight.

Mr Pukhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
EPIC FAIL!!!!!

That sums up pretty well how I feel about most local news in general.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:14 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
EPIC FAIL!!!!!

They removed it. Haha!!

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:34 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

I saw Bettman called a press conference for tomorrow afternoon, does anyone have an idea what exactly its going to be about?

CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:36 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Coyote 96 View Post
I saw Bettman called a press conference for tomorrow afternoon, does anyone have an idea what exactly its going to be about?
Games to begin on December 15th.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:51 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Games to begin on December 15th.
Don't appreciate the false statement here. Nothing is concrete. For all we know, the presser is related to the BoG meeting or even the Coyotes. There has been progress but nothing is locked in.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:33 AM
korpedo

Quote:
Don't appreciate the false statement here. Nothing is concrete. For all we know, the presser is related to the BoG meeting or even the Coyotes. There has been progress but nothing is locked in.
Probably gonna be the BoG meeting and an update saying " they are still negotiating", or " Everything that can be done is being done", etc.

korpedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:50 AM
doaner

Quote:
Sry.