Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I have a very very good feeling. Gary Bettman will address the media tomorrow at 1PM et. You can watch it live. That tells me that they are very confident that they have a deal and they only have to get it approved by the BOG.

I may be jumping the gun...but...

GO JETS GO!
I've heard that that press conference was scheduled before this owners/players meeting. Might very well be nothing more than an update/more game cancellations.

EDIT: Looks like it's a "regularly scheduled" presser following BOG meetings this time of year...

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 12-04-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
I have a very very good feeling. Gary Bettman will address the media tomorrow at 1PM et. You can watch it live. That tells me that they are very confident that they have a deal and they only have to get it approved by the BOG.

I may be jumping the gun...but...

GO JETS GO!
Trying my hardest right now not to get my hopes up. Been riding this rollercoaster far too long now

Old
12-05-2012, 12:13 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I've heard that that press conference was scheduled before this owners/players meeting. Might very well be nothing more than an update/more game cancellations.

EDIT: Looks like it's a "regularly scheduled" presser following BOG meetings this time of year...
Why you gotta be like that bro?

Seriously though, it just all seems to convenient. Do they typically do thy stuff live? I'm feeling very optimistic about this.

I just knew that Chipper could get it done!

Old
12-05-2012, 12:13 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
I'm excited, but we're far from this being settled.
The fact that progress is being made is huge, but we've been down similar roads before.

Quote:

Seriously though, it just all seems to convenient. Do they typically do thy stuff live? I'm feeling very optimistic about this.

There is a BoG meeting tomorrow, which is why they're doing a live presser. The presser is a red herring.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

Not too high, not too low. I just try to keep perspective

Which helps avoid mass suicides when those hopes get crushed

It sounds encouraging, but much like Jets return, I did not believe it until it happened. Let's wait this out before the party...

And press conferences are generally live, it's the nature of a press conference

Old
12-05-2012, 01:57 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Not too high, not too low. I just try to keep perspective

Which helps avoid mass suicides when those hopes get crushed

It sounds encouraging, but much like Jets return, I did not believe it until it happened. Let's wait this out before the party...

And press conferences are generally live, it's the nature of a press conference
Thanks for the insight on the purposes of a press conferences lol

I wasn't aware that their other announcements for cancelled games were on live press statements that you could watch on TV. What else could this possibly be about?

My gut tells me that they've either come to an agreement or they are ridiculously close. They are also meeting tomorrow morning before the BOG meeting.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:14 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
A cautious air of optimism is present now, especially after Steve and Bill's comments earlier today.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:00 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

I can't help it.
I'm a sucker.
The more I read, the more I see, the more I believe it'll get done.
I'm setting myself up for a massive disappointment, but there's movement in the right direction. I agree with what Bob McKenzie has been saying about the calender playing a major role in negotiations. I think a deal gets done, that said if its not done by next Wednesday, I think the season is gone.

All things considered a great day. It can all be undone tomorrow, but compromises are being made. If each side starts to give a little, the men in that room can develop a trust and bang something out.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:45 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

That nights extended meeting between the owners and players, imo is a good sign things could be progressing in the right direction.

I still believe that they have a ways to go though.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:55 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

I like the fact they got the laywers out of the room......ok most of them , I like the fact they added some new owners to the mix that are by all accounts player friendly, and I am happy they kept meeting late because it signals they were able to stay in a room together for longer than usual. anything past that I will wait and see.

I have gotten comfortable with the mind numbing concept of a lost season now and I am really looking forward to the WJC. anything more than this will exceed my expectations.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:15 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Let's say they announce an agreement today at 1 pm.. how long do you think the players currently playing in Europe will take to leave for Winnipeg?

Just yesterday I bought two rather expensive tickets for Adler Mannheim vs. Red Bul Munich only to see Wheeler and to wear my Thrashers jersey and show him my "GO! WHEELS GO!" sign I'm going to make. The game is sunday afternoon. I guess that would be too late?

Old
12-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Let's say they announce an agreement today at 1 pm.. how long do you think the players currently playing in Europe will take to leave for Winnipeg?

Just yesterday I bought two rather expensive tickets for Adler Mannheim vs. Red Bul Munich only to see Wheeler and to wear my Thrashers jersey and show him my "GO! WHEELS GO!" sign I'm going to make. The game is sunday afternoon. I guess that would be too late?
Players will likely be on a place today, IMO. I can't see a player having any type of contract in Europe that does not have an instant out clause. Sorry to say.

The announce a deal today, I think they will be looking to start practices by the weekend, starting regular season by Dec 15, which is as far as they've cancelled games.

That being said, it is far from a certainty that a deal with be announced today, IMO. It all looks so promising but I remain a pessimist at heart...

Old
12-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:

How much did those tickets cost?

Old
12-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

As much as this process has really frustrated me, I am an optimist so I have a hard time believing a deal won't get done from the progress recently made here. The optimist in me thought we'd see a season begin November 1st, then December 1st, etc, now here we are. I don't see any other path to go down for the good of the sport at this point other than the path that will lead us to the puck dropping within the next couple weeks. They will turn the NHL into the black hole and laughing stock of professional sports if not.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
12-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Looks like Bettman addressing media today has been cancelled as to not interrupt the negotiations.

Extremely cautious optimism, they still have a long way to go.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Progress made without Bettman and Fehr???

The hell you say.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:10 AM
buggs

vCash: 128
Was supposed to be at the Bruins game tonight. I guess I'll take the loss if it means we get a season going again. Not like I have any choice. Love to see the season start up just after Christmas.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:15 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
I've been mostly hanging out on the NHL main board the last few days. The traffic has been insane, at one point last night there were just under 1200 people on the lockout thread alone. Interesting was the fact that the optimism got ramped up Monday night after the Burton report in Boston. I know a lot of posters and the local media either ignored it or ridiculed it, but there were several posters from Boston who came to his defense saying he was a vetran guy with a lot of connections, that he has broken other stories and wouldn't risk his rep if he hadn't heard something. The next day the pieces have started to fall into place. I'm feeling very optimistic.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Progress made without Bettman and Fehr???

The hell you say.
To me this just shows why bother with these two, but not just these two, perhaps how they do things as unions.

Truth is, there is absolutely no relationship or respect from Bettman to the players and from the players to Bettman. At the end of the day, that just deflates any chance from the get-go of a successful negotiation to take place. Imagine trying to divide something up with someone you cannot stand. Example, a divorce, you despise her and she despises you........... I wish you luck sorting that one out in a constructive, respectful manner. Not. Gunna. Happen.

Look what we've seen (so far...) when you put some owners and players in a room. First and foremost, by all indications, there appears to be respect. One side isn't simply out to get the other and try to pull a quick one over them. There doesn't appear to be that intensity between the two when you put them in a room like this. Could there be? sure, but based on how things have gone with the union model (both PA and Owners) over the years - it just doesn't work for such a critical process.

With that being said, neither Bettman or Fehr are needed in a process like this, in my opinion, and I believe given what we've seen in the last 24 hours, the proof of that is in the pudding. It appears as though the best way to sort through a CBA is to get those 100% involved in the room together - owners and players. There doesn't need to be a middle man on either side to hate.

I hope after this we see a different approach to how the league is run and how CBA's are negotiated. I udnerstand Bettman is a puppet for the owners and likewise for Fehr (to an extent), but to me there doesn't need to be one head to speak for one side and another head to speak for the other side, get the two sides in a room like we've seen over the last 24 hours and let those directly involved sort the process out with no middle men. Because if this is any indication of what works and what doesn't work, the solution is as clear as the sky is blue.

Last edited by Guerzy: 12-05-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old
12-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Exactly, all about respect.

The thing that disgusts me the most is that everyone knew how both sides felt toward each other and the fact it took this long to get those two out of the room and have more influential people like Ron Burkle get involved in the process.

This is why the NHL is laughed at, bad league!

Last edited by Lynk: 12-05-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old
12-05-2012, 09:39 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
How much did those tickets cost?
50 Euro (65 $) ... yes yes I know "that's cheap for 2 tickets in the lower bowl ( 210, see here ), you'd all say.

But in germany it surely isn't cheap for a hockey game. There is even a student discount on one of the two tickets

It's the most I've ever paid for a hockey game in germany.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Exactly, all about respect.

The thing that disgusts me the most is that everyone knew how both sides felt toward each other and the fact it took this long to get those two out of the room and have more influential people like Ron Burkle get involved in the process.

This is why the NHL is laughed at, absolute bush league.
Well...technically a "bush league" wouldn't have any labour disputes. It's because the NHL is a major league that they have strikes and lockouts - there's a lot of money (current and future) on the table and each side figures they have the leverage to fight for more. This doesn't happen much in bush leagues - when was the last time the CFL lost a game to a labour dispute?

Old
12-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Well...technically a "bush league" wouldn't have any labour disputes. It's because the NHL is a major league that they have strikes and lockouts - there's a lot of money (current and future) on the table and each side figures they have the leverage to fight for more. This doesn't happen much in bush leagues - when was the last time the CFL lost a game to a labour dispute?
Nice dissection bro, I'll change my adjective.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I would say the CFL is no longer bush,

Mark Cohan, that is a great commish,

Old
12-05-2012, 12:32 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
50 Euro (65 $) ... yes yes I know "that's cheap for 2 tickets in the lower bowl ( 210, see here ), you'd all say.

But in germany it surely isn't cheap for a hockey game. There is even a student discount on one of the two tickets

It's the most I've ever paid for a hockey game in germany.
$65 bucks is nothing to scoff at! It would suck if you had to miss out on seeing wheels, that said I'm kinda hoping for your misfortune if it means an end to the lockout

Closed Thread