HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Lockout II - Moderated: Talk about your plenty, Talk about your ills...

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Oshie97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
I don't think anybody's pulling the wool over anyone's eyes, but it's always been clear that the owners are losing more money in the cancelling of games than they're fighting for. And I'm not sure someone has necessarily made this clear to them.
funny, but a small majority of owners are losing money due to cancelled games but will make that up plus some when the salaries are dropped 7% for the next how many years the contract is for. Their biggest expenses are not being payed right now so I doubt they are losing much at all. The players on the other hand are never going to have a chance at making that money back, not like they can turn back a yr of aging. Who cares, at this point I hope nobody goes to the games for a long time so they get the message that this bs cannot keep happening.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:50 AM
hockeyfan2k11

We need a new commish

Old
12-05-2012, 04:45 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
We need a new commish
We need a commish.......
Someone incharge who makes the integrity of the sport their top priority. Someone to represent everybody, players, owners and fans.We don't need an owners puppet.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:04 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Don't let them fool you, I still think season is over.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:17 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
There is plenty of time for a couple of more breakdowns.

But there were no material diffrences really between the two sides before this meeting (the diffrences are substansially marginal in relation to what both sides stands to loose if nothing gets done, 200k per team and year? Two contractual issues that really are marginal, a year here and there.) -- and if the two sides made any progress yesterday I just can't imagine that they don't get it done.

But, it definitely don't have to be achieved now. It could be like 4 weeks from now.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:48 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Well now I hope they don't restart until after the world juniors.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:52 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Would not be surprised. As long as Bettman and Fehr have their hands in this (the lockout whisperers) then I can see this thing blowing up.

The problem is...Fehr won't be around to negotiate the next CBA, but Bettman most likely will and we'll have another lockout. Bettman needs to go.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
We need a new commish
We need a deal that will prevent future lockouts. The only way this happens is if you get one that allows most the teams to turn a profit. Profit sharing, players pay cut, and stopping cap circumvrntion deals would do wonders. Too bad they idiots can't figure something out.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:31 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
I don't think anybody's pulling the wool over anyone's eyes, but it's always been clear that the owners are losing more money in the cancelling of games than they're fighting for. And I'm not sure someone has necessarily made this clear to them.
The owners collectively made, what was it, less than $300M profit last season? And most of that concentrated in the hands of the Leafs, Rangers, and Canadiens?

Meanwhile the players have already lost over $500M in salary up to now.

One of these things is not like the others..

Old
12-05-2012, 06:33 AM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
ELS deals are max 3 years in length, and have limits as to salary, bonuses (in the 2005 CBA).

Where some owners/GMs do not seem to be able to exercise any control is in the second contract (after the ELS) and other pre-UFA deals. There's been some discussion of putting a $$ limit and/or term limit on the 2nd contract in the new CBA.
If that's truly the issue, just put a term limit on the 2nd contract. When you're coming off an ELC, no more than 3 years. You don't need to limit everyone to a timeframe. Once you're in (or near) UFA age, remove the time limit altogether. Problem solved.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:46 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
If that's truly the issue, just put a term limit on the 2nd contract. When you're coming off an ELC, no more than 3 years. You don't need to limit everyone to a timeframe. Once you're in (or near) UFA age, remove the time limit altogether. Problem solved.
Those big contracts really have helped both sides till now - the teams usually wind up buying a couple years of FA off with those big second deals, and the player gets more security earlier in his career. If insurance is an issue, then I could see capping the second contract at five years then leaving it unlimited in FA...keeping free agency free.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
We need a commish.......
Someone incharge who makes the integrity of the sport their top priority. Someone to represent everybody, players, owners and fans.We don't need an owners puppet.
Newsflash: commissioners are always the owners picks. They answer to the owners.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Well now I hope they don't restart until after the world juniors.
At the moment the earliest they'd start if a deal was done today would probably be 18th and the latest around 20th.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:58 AM
mjdlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Newsflash: commissioners are always the owners picks. They answer to the owners.
It wasn't always that way...MLB, in particular, used to have independent commissioners. Then Selig (former owner) finagled his way in and that was the end of that.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Xref

The sentiment is valid, imo; the next commissioner position should be one that puts the league's best interests to the forefront. The commissioner's responsibilities should include overseeing the best interests of both the owners AND the players. The Owners should be represented by a group, and the players represented by a group, with the commissioner as a go-between. His salary and the costs to operate HQ shared by the PA and the Owners group. Then perhaps we will have labor harmony going forward. I say perhaps, yes.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:17 AM
madhi19

Bettman to adress media approximately 1 p.m. ET today. This does not sound too good I got a feeling the season is getting killed today.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Bettman to adress media approximately 1 p.m. ET today. This does not sound too good I got a feeling the season is getting killed today.
Comon man....betman won't cancel season a day after reports of traction.....that would make him look so bad.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:30 AM
punkr0x

Quote:
Maybe he's resigning!

Seriously though, if the two sides get this done because of the meetings that took place without Bettman and Fehr, will anyone on either side realize they put the wrong man in charge?

Old
12-05-2012, 07:41 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Comon man....betman won't cancel season a day after reports of traction.....that would make him look so bad.
Not to mention the fact that it's two months before the last season got canceled, and without having previously floated today as a drop-dead date. If it comes to it, the league needs a public drop-dead date for negotiation purposes, they're not going to do a surprise 'whoops, season's over now' date.

The worst things that would ever come out of a Bettman press conference today would be negotiations breaking down and a drop-dead date being made public.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
A presser after the BoG meeting is a natural par of the course thing. No need to get worried.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:50 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Bettmans press conference was scheduled long ago. Its normal after a BOG meeting.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
Maybe he's resigning!

Seriously though, if the two sides get this done because of the meetings that took place without Bettman and Fehr, will anyone on either side realize they put the wrong man in charge?
Considering Bettman was the one to suggest the meetings?

Old
12-05-2012, 08:00 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
Maybe he's resigning!

Or maybe this was all scripted months ago...

There was a peice not long ago indicating that Bettman would prepare 'years' in advance for all potential outcomes of negotiations and twists and turns.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Crows*

@RealKyper: With pressure on #NHL and #NHLPA to still get in a 60 game reg season expect some form of proposal and counter proposal by end of day.

@ngreenberg: "Sponsors have clauses in NHL contracts granting relief...reportedly after at least 1/4 of 82gm reg season not played" Need ~62 games season

Old
12-05-2012, 08:30 AM
bubba5

I think there was a deal worked out before this meeting yesterday. I think the Boston reporter had it right. This meeting yesterday and today is a show trying to save the players faces for the upcoming season so fans do not hold a grudge to the players. You can hate Bettman and Fehr (they don't care anyway, they get paid no matter what) but this way it makes it like the players have saved the NHL.

Closed Thread