HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Florida Panthers Prospect Thread 2013-2014

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonCollegeFan View Post
You guys watching Matheson? Announcers gushing about him. He scored a PP goal, a blast from the point.
Wish I could. Couldn't find a stream. Do you have an in-depth take on him?

-ghoste

Old
12-01-2012, 10:13 PM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
You guys watching Matheson? Announcers gushing about him. He scored a PP goal, a blast from the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Wish I could. Couldn't find a stream. Do you have an in-depth take on him?

-ghoste
was on nbs sports network. very cool to hear the two top nhl broadcast teams call games last night and tonight. i think they enjoyed it as well.

mcguire said at one point that word has it matheson wasn't long for BU. i can't remember if he said he'd be surprised if he played his sophomore or junior year but i think it was the former. reminds me a bit of ellerby in terms of his size and skating. lanky, long arms but fluid.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:13 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
was on nbs sports network. very cool to hear the two top nhl broadcast teams call games last night and tonight. i think they enjoyed it as well.

mcguire said at one point that word has it matheson wasn't long for BU. i can't remember if he said he'd be surprised if he played his sophomore or junior year but i think it was the former. reminds me a bit of ellerby in terms of his size and skating. lanky, long arms but fluid.
agree - very good skater and does remind me of ellerby in that sense. but he has the hockey-IQ, offensively, that ellerby seems to lack. he made a few pretty impressive passes on the powerplay and scored a goal.

that being said, i thought he was sloppy as hell defensively. he's a freshman, though, and defense is a learned skill, so hopefully it improves over time.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
agree - very good skater and does remind me of ellerby in that sense. but he has the hockey-IQ, offensively, that ellerby seems to lack. he made a few pretty impressive passes on the powerplay and scored a goal.

that being said, i thought he was sloppy as hell defensively. he's a freshman, though, and defense is a learned skill, so hopefully it improves over time.

Maybe in terms of skating.. But I think they are very different in terms of player. Matheson is way more cerebral and has a WAY better shot.. Ellerby is more defensive and physical.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:13 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Anyone surprised by trocheck? Putting up big numbers.
Not at all.. he had 85 points last year. And before we drafted him, he was maybe my gem of the draft. Was so happy we got him, he is so dynamic. I said it before this season that he is one to keep an eye on this year, not just for Panthers fans, but junior hockey fans in general. He will dominated in the WJC imo.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Didn't even know BC was playing last night. Damn it! Found the highlights though.

What a shot

Old
12-02-2012, 08:53 AM
BostonCollegeFan

Matheson loves BC. The announcer said he thinks Matheson might only be in college for 2 seasons just because he is so good

My take on Matheson: Negatives: He needs to work more on defensive positioning. He loves to jump into the rush but sometimes he is overly aggressive to the point where the other team gets an odd man rush. At times he is a little too casual with the puck, sometimes he takes his eye off the puck too soon looking for what he's going to do with it before he has control of it. These things will all get better over the next few years in college and the AHL.

Positives: His skating is really good. He's got great hands and vision for a defenseman. His confidence is already showing, he has no problem joining the rush or lugging the puck deep into the offensive zone by himself. We don't often see that in college and especially not from a freshman, but it causes havoc for opposing teams and is going to result in way more goals for BC than goals against. Again, he will learn more about when it is appropriate to do this in the near future. He is basically like having a really fast, skilled forward skating as a defenseman. His speed allows him to get back quickly if he gets caught up the ice. He seems to have a great shot. He also hits really hard for his size. He's a really smooth skater and a joy to watch. He's great to have on the ice when you are down late in the game and need a strong offensive push. He seems like a great kid, intelligent, and always says the right things. The coaching staff loves him

At this point he has some things to work on, but IMO he was a great pickup at #23 overall. If the draft were redone right now I bet he'd be top 15. As he gains a little weight and locks things down defensively he is going to be a beast in college. I'm hoping he comes back for another season or two, but he definitely won't be in school for 4 years, he's too good

Old
12-02-2012, 09:55 AM
BostonCollegeFan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYzXm...layer_embedded

A better video of Mathesons goal. Play starts about 2 minutes 50 seconds into video

Old
12-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Not at all.. he had 85 points last year. And before we drafted him, he was maybe my gem of the draft. Was so happy we got him, he is so dynamic. I said it before this season that he is one to keep an eye on this year, not just for Panthers fans, but junior hockey fans in general. He will dominated in the WJC imo.
And he had a goal and 2 assists in last night's game giving him 20 goals, 24 assists, 44 points in 29 games.

Thanks for all the impressions/vids of Matheson.

-ghoste

Old
12-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Here is last night's highlights of Minnesota's 3-1 win over Omaha. What a shot by Jugs.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...120112aaf.html

-ghoste

Old
12-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Matheson loves BC. The announcer said he thinks Matheson might only be in college for 2 seasons just because he is so good

My take on Matheson: Negatives: He needs to work more on defensive positioning. He loves to jump into the rush but sometimes he is overly aggressive to the point where the other team gets an odd man rush. At times he is a little too casual with the puck, sometimes he takes his eye off the puck too soon looking for what he's going to do with it before he has control of it. These things will all get better over the next few years in college and the AHL.

Positives: His skating is really good. He's got great hands and vision for a defenseman. His confidence is already showing, he has no problem joining the rush or lugging the puck deep into the offensive zone by himself. We don't often see that in college and especially not from a freshman, but it causes havoc for opposing teams and is going to result in way more goals for BC than goals against. Again, he will learn more about when it is appropriate to do this in the near future. He is basically like having a really fast, skilled forward skating as a defenseman. His speed allows him to get back quickly if he gets caught up the ice. He seems to have a great shot. He also hits really hard for his size. He's a really smooth skater and a joy to watch. He's great to have on the ice when you are down late in the game and need a strong offensive push. He seems like a great kid, intelligent, and always says the right things. The coaching staff loves him

At this point he has some things to work on, but IMO he was a great pickup at #23 overall. If the draft were redone right now I bet he'd be top 15. As he gains a little weight and locks things down defensively he is going to be a beast in college. I'm hoping he comes back for another season or two, but he definitely won't be in school for 4 years, he's too good
This is a great report, and I'd appreciate hearing more about Matheson's physicality, not necessarily in terms of strength, but more whether he is playing aggressively, and in what zones?

There were very mixed reviews about his physical play last year in Dubuque, with some really knocking what they felt was soft play, though other accounts suggest this improved as he got more comfortable with the USHL. One of the most pleasant surprises about Matheson's season so far is that he seemed to skip the slow start that he experienced in Dubuque. Hopefully this applies to his all-round game, not just offensively.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:42 PM
BostonCollegeFan

Matheson has thrown a couple of big hits. He hasn't been overly physical in that he's not huge and he has more of a skill/speed game so he doesn't go around looking to knock someone's head off. By aggressive I meant he pushes the play forward and isn't afraid to jump into the offensive zone as if he is an extra forward

I do think he's physically strong for a guy his size, and if he fills out at over 200 pounds he will be plenty strong/physical to be an NHL defenseman, though that will never be the bread and butter of what he brings to the table. He's an offensive defenseman

Old
12-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:

Pierre said that he thinks he will leave after his sophomore season. For selfish reasons I like this scenario. But if he stays longer in school it's no big deal, I know he will come eventually. Lots of potiential. I could see a top four of Gudbranson, Matheson, Kulikov, and Petrovic in a few seasons.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Pierre said that he thinks he will leave after his sophomore season. For selfish reasons I like this scenario. But if he stays longer in school it's no big deal, I know he will come eventually. Lots of potiential. I could see a top four of Gudbranson, Matheson, Kulikov, and Petrovic in a few seasons.
It may be best for him too to come out after his sophomore season as well. Based on the contracts we have signed now, we need 2 d-men when Weaver & Kuba's contracts expire which I think would be Petrovic & Robak right now. Then Jovo's contract expires 1 yr later so that gives Matheson a perfect transition by playing 1 yr in the AHL before being brought up to learn from Campbell for 2 yrs. Really its important that we develop all of those guys perfectly because we dont have much else in the system that could be potentially top 4 guys.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
In case anyone was interested, Rasmus Bengtsson was one of the d-men for the Swedish U20 team preliminary WJC roster. They are only suppose to cut 1 d-man so there's a good chance he plays for them in the WJC.

There obviously is some expectation that both Trocheck & Grimaldi will be on the US squad but I dont think thats been announced yet. I'm thinking Kosov may end up playing for Russia too but nothing there yet either.

#UPDATE# Canada announced their selection camp roster and it includes Huberdeau obviously. But also included was our 6th round pick Francis Beauvillier. Im guessing he was included because of his speed and ability to play PK.

We should be well represented at the WJC again.

Last edited by Coolburn: 12-03-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Including Canadian selection camp roster
Old
12-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
It may be best for him too to come out after his sophomore season as well. Based on the contracts we have signed now, we need 2 d-men when Weaver & Kuba's contracts expire which I think would be Petrovic & Robak right now. Then Jovo's contract expires 1 yr later so that gives Matheson a perfect transition by playing 1 yr in the AHL before being brought up to learn from Campbell for 2 yrs. Really its important that we develop all of those guys perfectly because we dont have much else in the system that could be potentially top 4 guys.
Yep, maybe Dale will address this in the upcoming draft. Of course he will draft the BPA first.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:20 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post

i think ellerby has the IQ to have an impact at the offensive end but i'd say more in terms of the attack. i do think matheson projects to be a more potent offensive player in the zone in terms of hands and shot but ellerby sees the ice very well when he's playing with confidence; a great first pass can mean as much as a great snipe.

Quote:
thx

Quote:
good perspective, tho you don't include ellerby (i'll grant you that it seems like dale has him on a short leash but i think things could change). still, even if that is the projected plan for these kids and there isn't a ton of margin for error, it still would reflect a lot more planning (and solid evaluation) than we've seen heretofore.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Coolburn

Quote:
Yep, maybe Dale will address this in the upcoming draft. Of course he will draft the BPA first.
I think he will address it whether thats in the 1st or 2nd round as the BPA But there are a few guys that could be interesting options in this upcoming draft, depending where we pick obviously.
Quote:
good perspective, tho you don't include ellerby (i'll grant you that it seems like dale has him on a short leash but i think things could change). still, even if that is the projected plan for these kids and there isn't a ton of margin for error, it still would reflect a lot more planning (and solid evaluation) than we've seen heretofore.
I dont feel like Ellerby will ever be a top 4 d-man. He can be a solid bottom pair guy with some more patience but I dont see the hockey IQ needed like so many others have said. He can still be valuable though in that role. We need a defensive d-man to pair with Robak. I see Robak being our #5 d-man when all is said and done because there are players better fit for certain roles in front of him (Guds, Kuli, Petrovic & Matheson). If Ellerby can learn to keep things simple, he can have a place in this org longer than many of us are expecting. I think moving him may be a better option long term for us and him (he may be able to play a more elevated role in another org who isnt as deep).

I still think, even with the planning, that Tallon will want to address the depth consistently. He wont want to put all his eggs in just one basket and will want the flow of young players to be constant. But yes we have a better approach now than we've ever had before thanks to Tallon and Santos. Glad we have both of those guys making the hockey decisions right now.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:20 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
In case anyone was interested, Rasmus Bengtsson was one of the d-men for the Swedish U20 team preliminary WJC roster. They are only suppose to cut 1 d-man so there's a good chance he plays for them in the WJC.

There obviously is some expectation that both Trocheck & Grimaldi will be on the US squad but I dont think thats been announced yet. I'm thinking Kosov may end up playing for Russia too but nothing there yet either.

#UPDATE# Canada announced their selection camp roster and it includes Huberdeau obviously. But also included was our 6th round pick Francis Beauvillier. Im guessing he was included because of his speed and ability to play PK.

We should be well represented at the WJC again.
I would be shocked if Kosov was cut. Rasmus only makes it because of the injuries to Klefbom and Brodin.

A few interesting draft eligible guys at the World Juniors. You have the obvious in Jones, Barkov, Lindholm, Ristolainen and potentially Mackinnon/Drouin. Nichuskin may make Russia, and is a very gifted individual but with some flaws. Lekhonen and Ikonen for Finland will also likely play. Lekhonen is a small but talented forward, great skater, shot and gritty. Think he's a very good mid-late 1st round player this year. Hagg is also an interesting player for Sweden and might be a big riser later in the year if he can sort out consistency.

Very bad year for the Czechs/Slovaks in terms of draft eligible players however.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Why dont college players play in wjc like jugs

Old
12-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Why dont college players play in wjc like jugs
That's an easy question to answer: the tournament is for players under 20 yrs old. So that generally makes most college players ineligible. Grimaldi though will most likely be playing since he is 19.

BTW, Bjugs played in the tournament for 2 yrs straight.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
That's an easy question to answer: the tournament is for players under 20 yrs old. So that generally makes most college players ineligible. Grimaldi though will most likely be playing since he is 19.

BTW, Bjugs played in the tournament for 2 yrs straight.
Thanks. I totally Jugs and Rau age

Old
12-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Brian Fogarty
Hockey's Future Staff

My impressions after watching the BC/BU series over the weekend:

Wade Megan: He's come a long way over the last year. I was very impressed with his confidence on the ice more than anything. His skating has improved, and he looks like his straight-line speed is now about average for an NHLer, maybe still a bit below. His balance is better, too. He has a good stride, but he still lacks the kind of acceleration I'd like to see in an NHL player. His compete level is really good, and he looks more than happy to drive the edge and go hard to net, with or without the puck. I think he's going to be the kind of player that has a couple of years in the AHL, but I will say that my outlook for him as an NHL player has improved since last spring. If his development continues like it has been, he could be a valuable third-line winger for the Panthers.

Mike Matheson: Skating, skating, skating. His stride is just effortless. Lateral movement, swiveling to backwards skating, edgework. It's all just fun to watch, really. As was said above, he has great offensive instincts and a nice release from different angles on his wrist shot (which is accurate and powerful, too). This kid can score goals and dish assists. But...

I was very disappointed with his decision making in the defensive zone. He seems to rely on his tricky backhand pass to the point where he will try to make blind passes in the d zone when it would be simpler and less dangerous to just move the puck over to the other defenseman. He took himself out of position several times to either try to attack the puck or chase the puck carrier. Other times he just drifted to the wrong spot on the ice and left his man uncovered. He looked panicked on a couple of blue line opportunities, or just took a half-second too long to make a decision, and put himself or teammates in precarious positions. When he has the time, or more accurately, when he's on the move, he has a nice transition pass and feeds pucks to teammates in spots where they can easily receive the pass at full speed.

The comments about him leaving after his sophomore year are a bit disconcerting. I'd actually like to see Matheson get a couple of more years at BC learning how to play defense and gaining confidence in his defensive play. At this point, he definitely needs more than another season of development before he'll be ready to get good ice time even at the AHL level. He’s young, and has plenty of top-four potential, though.

On a side note, I have a hard time seeing Johnny Gaudreau in the NHL. His hands are stellar, and he's quick enough, but he is getting tossed around down low and has no physical game. He'll need to add 20 pounds at least, and get a lot stronger before he'll have a legit shot. Consider this, if he's really 5'8 (I'm suspect), he's 2-3 inches taller than Rocco Grimaldi, but weighs 20 pounds less than Rocco and is not nearly as strong or physical. Just my opinion.

12-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Thanks for that Brian.

-ghoste

Old
12-05-2012, 06:06 PM
BostonCollegeFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fogarty View Post

The comments about him leaving after his sophomore year are a bit disconcerting. I'd actually like to see Matheson get a couple of more years at BC learning how to play defense and gaining confidence in his defensive play.
He's a young freshman with about a dozen games under his belt. He will get better this year and next. He'll definitely be ready for the AHL after his sophomore season, though as a BC fan I hope he stays 3 years. It wasn't his best weekend in a BC uniform, but I do agree with the other things you wrote about him. The BC coaching staff is fantastic at developing defenseman. He'll be a beast in the NCAA next year

Closed Thread