HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 09:01 PM
collegehockeyguy

vCash: 500
swayze is 100% correct. skjei has been just fine for a freshman in the WCHA. and has played MUCH better in his own end than reilly. id be surprised if anyone questioning skjei had watched his play last weekend (against omaha- high quality ncaa competition this year). skjei was taking the body every chance he got.. and doing it effectively. i think he should be on the world junior team.

reilly, on the other hand, would be a complete liability against team canada.. which is really what you have to consider when selecting players (especially this year)

Old
12-04-2012, 09:04 PM
collegehockeyguy

im looking forward to the US team this year. im a little concerned about the bottom 6 forwards.. but with jones, trouba, skjei etc on the blue line- you have great size with skill. and the top 6 forwards have the talent to put up 3+ goals in any given game. with good goal tending the US could make a nice run. i think it comes down to the bottom 6 forwards..

Old
12-04-2012, 09:05 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I've seen Skjei play in 5 games this year, and admit I'm biased, but I think the hate has gotten a bit out of control.

He hasn't consistently wowed anyone, and has made a gaff or two, but if you are going to tell me that Reilly has outplayed him in the defensive zone I will have to agree to disagree. He definitely had a rough series in the second weekend vs. Michigan Tech, and then got banged up.

I'm not saying he should even make the team (9 great dmen are on the roster), but it's not like he's the second coming of Stu Bickel either.
Not trying to hate. I hope Skjei turns it on and proves us all wrong as he has that ability. I don't think either has looked particularly good in their own zone (but I do agree that Skjei has the edge there) but that's not why either would make it either in my opinion. Housley wants their skating and passing. If they're basing it off of defensive zone coverage, I would think Sieloff and McCabe are locks right now. I'm just worried that Housley is going to go Ron Rolston on us and bring only puck movers and then expect Trouba to physically impose the will of the entire defense.

I don't really have a rooting interest in any of the d-men though as I want them all to turn into stars. So hopefully they prove me wrong!!! Go USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Rangers prospects always get dumped on. McDonagh, Stepan, Kreider, Erixon, etc.
But I think McDonagh isn't far off from permanently joining Ryan Suter as the clear cut best American d-men. That has to count for something, right?

Last edited by William H Bonney: 12-04-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 09:07 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Hate = what? You agree he shouldn't make the team which is what everybody here has said.
I'm referring to the "he's been lost", "very unimpressive", and "does not belong there at all" posts. And I didn't say he shouldn't make the team - thats up to camp. Which is one of the best ideas USA hockey ever had. In a short tourney chemistry is key.

12-04-2012, 09:08 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Poor, poor Rangers fans, it must be so, so hard to be you.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:12 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Same here. I toyed with the idea of leaving off Boucher from my prelim roster prediction for that very reason but I thought his shot and familiarity with a lot of the other players would be enough to get him an invite. Man for man USA Hockey can't compete with Canada or Russia every year in a skills department. The one area where we can is skating and they've made it a point of emphasis and I don't imagine that changing any time soon.
I'd agree that Boucher doesn't fit the mold of what they were looking for but part of me couldn't help but think someone at USA Hockey would remember what he did for the US at the U18's a few years back. His skating wasn't an issue when he buried the Russians in the final seconds of a tie game or when he tied it up against the Swedes with under two minutes to go in the gold medal game. It's probably unlikely that he'd be able to pull that off again but he was about as clutch as any player I've ever seen in a US uniform at that tournament. Add in that he's got chemistry with both of the guys I see as our top two centers and it just seemed to make sense to take a longer look. I'd admit that I might place too much emphasis on previous showing in international competition though so I respect the fact that right now isn't two years ago and they've got to go with their concept for the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I think I'd like to see that Trouba-Jones pairing reunited but I can see why they'd separate the two.
I've never seen them as a pair outside of powerplay time.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:17 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I'd agree that Boucher doesn't fit the mold of what they were looking for but part of me couldn't help but think someone at USA Hockey would remember what he did for the US at the U18's a few years back. His skating wasn't an issue when he buried the Russians in the final seconds of a tie game or when he tied it up against the Swedes with under two minutes to go in the gold medal game. It's probably unlikely that he'd be able to pull that off again but he was about as clutch as any player I've ever seen in a US uniform at that tournament. Add in that he's got chemistry with both of the guys I see as our top two centers and it just seemed to make sense to take a longer look. I'd admit that I might place too much emphasis on previous showing in international competition though so I respect the fact that right now isn't two years ago and they've got to go with their concept for the team.

I've never seen them as a pair outside of powerplay time.
I distinctly remember them being paired the entire time at WJC U-18

Old
12-04-2012, 09:20 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
I thought it was Skjei - Jones and Sieloff - Trouba.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:38 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Quote:
I thought it was Skjei - Jones and Sieloff - Trouba.
It was the latter. The IIHF website still has the game lineups posted from last years tournament... http://www.iihf.com/competition/292/statistics.html

Old
12-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I'm referring to the "he's been lost", "very unimpressive", and "does not belong there at all" posts. And I didn't say he shouldn't make the team - thats up to camp. Which is one of the best ideas USA hockey ever had. In a short tourney chemistry is key.
You said:

Quote:
I'm not saying he should even make the team (9 great dmen are on the roster)
Which is what the entire topic is about. When we say Skjei isn't good enough, it means in relations to the competition of who is in camp.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:09 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
It was the latter. The IIHF website still has the game lineups posted from last years tournament... http://www.iihf.com/competition/292/statistics.html
Hmmm. Well I guess I stand corrected. Maybe I just remember keeping tabs on both of them and forgetting who their partners were.

Idk though. I remember them both on the same pair and I was left thinking, they're both physical but Jones seems to be all over the place but it's cool because Trouba's doing his own thing keeping other forwards at bay with his solid positioning. Whatever. No big deal. Either way, they're two defensemen I love to watch.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
But I think McDonagh isn't far off from permanently joining Ryan Suter as the clear cut best American d-men. That has to count for something, right?
I would argue McDonaugh is the better defensmen now. He is one of the better ES defensmen in the NHL. I think Suter will struggle not being with Weber next year.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:14 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

USA has listed Gaudreau as 5"9. Can anyone confirm how big/tall he actually is? Was asked from the Flames board. I am quite curious as well to see if he has actually grown

Old
12-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
I would argue McDonaugh is the better defensmen now. He is one of the better ES defensmen in the NHL. I think Suter will struggle not being with Weber next year.
I would argue that we have already seen Weber struggle without Suter last year while injury, but this is the wrong place for that.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

I didn't hate on Skjei, I simply said he hasn't done anything to earn a spot on this team. I didn't even say he's played poorly and I really don't think he has. I would say he's been okay for a freshman and not a liability, but I would hope the U.S. could find 7 defensemen who have been better than okay.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:45 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
USA has listed Gaudreau as 5"9. Can anyone confirm how big/tall he actually is? Was asked from the Flames board. I am quite curious as well to see if he has actually grown
He looks less small out there from pictures I've seen, but 5'9'' is probably pushing it. The most intriguing information was a FN article saying he was close to 175 pounds. I don't know where they got that information, but that is promising. I couldn't imagine what Gaudreau would be like if he actually ends up being 5'9'' and ~180 pounds.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:50 AM
Smallz

So I'm guessing Welinski has no chance?

Haven't seen too many people mention him

Old
12-05-2012, 01:57 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
So I'm guessing Welinski has no chance?

Haven't seen too many people mention him
Miniscule now that he's not on the camp roster.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Exit Dose

@Smallz Not unless that remark about players still having a chance to make it included him.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Parise9Crosby87

Reid Boucher
Monday via mobile
Well this really sucks

^agreed

Old
12-05-2012, 02:50 AM
Mione134

I think Grzelcyk is a sleeper here.

I really think he has a shot at making this lineup. Don't sleep on him.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:00 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:

Jim Johansson already said they're going to continue to evaluate him given the unique circumstance and thus they could end up adding another player(s) to the camp.
It would be foolish not to take him, I was a big Kerdiles guy before my team even drafted him, he's been a good player for USA hockey the tournament doesn't start for another 3-4 weeks, I think they'll regret not taking him, if infact he's left off

Old
12-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Boucher has had a great year beside Galchenyuk but I guess they question whether he'd be as effective on a different line/role.
Pretty much. His speed isn't good enough to land a spot on Gally's wing, plus he's proven that he can get very indisciplined as well. I've seen Boucher play without Galchenyuk and Sarault and he was not nearly as effective, although comparing Sarnia's second line to the U.S. National Team's is a bit irrelevant.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
12-05-2012, 06:54 AM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Lol try being a jackets fan. Hey at least we have 6 prospects, well technically 5 with Murrays separated shoulder(still might get to play with the big boys in the real tourney though) on wjc camp rosters, so there's some hope yet. Even though 3/6(Murray, dansk, korpisalo) were drafted last year lol

Old
12-05-2012, 08:26 AM
wings5

Why were McColgan and Jacobs never seen by anybody to have a shot at making the team?

Closed Thread