HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Thread Part VII : Tips and Tricks Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2012, 09:15 AM
  #201
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Man, I am tired, and going to be loopy today. After my incident last night I was so riled up, and then Vicodin always seems to act as a stimulant in me and keep me awake. As a result I only dozed for a few 20ish minute stretches between 6am and 8:30.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 09:45 AM
  #202
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
LMAO. Based on your other posts about egg whites/yolks and now planks, are you trying to lose weight/get in shape? If you are, excluding ALL milk & sugar from coffee is a quick way to drop 5-10lbs in a couple of weeks and very good for you.
I'm trying to bulk up a little bit. In an ideal world I'd love nothing more than to be able to get on the ice and play hockey. I love the game, but I've never played it, and I know I'm too small to play now. The thing is, I'm saying I want to bulk up but I'm really half-assing it and taking it very slow.

When I graduated back in May I was fluctuating between like 133-137.5 lbs on a close to 5'10" frame, which is absolutely pathetic. Probably like what, 10th percentile? Yikes. These days I'm fluctuating between 143-145 which is the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I'd love to get up to 165 but I know I'm not doing enough to get there. I'm not fixing my diet (though I am trying to eat more), I don't go to the gym (only been working out at home).

I'm just in a weird spot for motivation since graduating and being dumped (well, if you ask her it was "mutual") which is pathetic but at least I'm man enough to admit it It's all aspects of my life these days and the consistency I've been showing working out Monday-Friday is about the only steady thing I've got going right now.

I was thinking about law school, bought LSAT books and just never opened them (don't kill me if you read this, Jonathan. ) When I apply for jobs I'm still super picky where the only places I seriously apply to are sports teams and I haven't even been called back for a job in that industry since I began applying in February. I have my older brother up my ass about all of this, which is really a great and amazing thing because I know there are people out there who don't have people looking out for them and helping them out. And I truly appreciate everything he's trying to do for me it's just the motivation these days is just not there at all. I don't know what to do to get it back, but I'm ready for it.

Thing is I've always had trouble motivating myself when it was to do things solely to benefit me. I never really tried in school. Then I started dating my ex and it finally all clicked and was like damn, I'm not only trying to be better for myself but I'd love to prove to her that I deserve her, etc... So when I was dating her my motivation was through the roof. I was trying in school, going to classes every day, studying outside of class even which I had never done before. And now I'm back to where I was in the beginning of college and high school with just a very pacifist attitude.

And there you all have a brief glimpse into the life of silverfish

Oh and MPF, dude, be careful with those pain killers, seriously. A girl in my graduating class just passed away on Monday from an OD. The third person to pass away from my 2008 graduating high school class, very sad. Please be careful. I know you're not abusing them, but at least moderate it. Those things, you get addicted to them so fast without realizing it. Think about the recent NHL player deaths (RIP Boogie man) and please be careful. Maybe even see a doctor about the hit you took as it sounded brutal. Be safe.

silverfish is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 09:56 AM
  #203
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,473
vCash: 500
I didn't catch the bit about MPF and but Pain killers are bad. Not too bad but bad. I had a spin out night that ended with me in the hospy a month back because of a combination of Vic, paladone, stilnox and rum. It's dangerous because it seems innocent. Like squirrels.

Cresto is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 09:58 AM
  #204
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
That is skinny man. I'm not even sure where to start to bulk up at that weight. I'm 5'9 and almost 200lbs with only 12% body fat. I want to be an even 200 at 10%. Eat tons of eggs lol. Lift close to your maximum with low reps. You pretty much only want to tear muscle and not even really break into heavy sweating at your weight. I'd imagine over 6 reps, besides warmup sets is more than you need. Drink whole milk (I don't like milk; if you don't, get those kick ass organic farm chocolate milks). I'm not in a terribly different place than you in life. Recently graduated. Can't find work. Picky with applications. Motivation is at an all time low. Still working out but what was a clock work 5-6 days a week, plus hockey, during college is now an erratic 3-4. If my beer drinking continues I'm gonna lose my abs too (for shame).

I am pretty careful with the pain pills. I like them, but I don't take them often or have an abundance of them available to me. For the most part I take them for hockey/gym related aches but I admit I take more than necessary in those situations because I know if I take the extra 2 or so I'll feel incredible. But I think in general what I do would be considered very moderate compared to kids around here who have passed/been sent to rehab as well. Did you say you're from Huntington once, or did I imagine that?

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 10:00 AM
  #205
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
I didn't catch the bit about MPF and but Pain killers are bad. Not too bad but bad. I had a spin out night that ended with me in the hospy a month back because of a combination of Vic, paladone, stilnox and rum. It's dangerous because it seems innocent. Like squirrels.
Eh, I take my drinking too seriously to mix it with anything else. And I only like opiate based pills, and usually keep it to a mild indulgence when a smaller dose would be warranted but a bigger dose is fun. I do appreciate the concern though. Better to look out for others than ignore them.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 10:01 AM
  #206
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
That is skinny man. I'm not even sure where to start to bulk up at that weight. I'm 5'9 and almost 200lbs with only 12% body fat. I want to be an even 200 at 10%. Eat tons of eggs lol. Lift close to your maximum with low reps. You pretty much only want to tear muscle and not even really break into heavy sweating at your weight. I'd imagine over 6 reps, besides warmup sets is more than you need. Drink whole milk (I don't like milk; if you don't, get those kick ass organic farm chocolate milks). I'm not in a terribly different place than you in life. Recently graduated. Can't find work. Picky with applications. Motivation is at an all time low. Still working out but what was a clock work 5-6 days a week, plus hockey, during college is now an erratic 3-4. If my beer drinking continues I'm gonna lose my abs too (for shame).

I am pretty careful with the pain pills. I like them, but I don't take them often or have an abundance of them available to me. For the most part I take them for hockey/gym related aches but I admit I take more than necessary in those situations because I know if I take the extra 2 or so I'll feel incredible. But I think in general what I do would be considered very moderate compared to kids around here who have passed/been sent to rehab as well. Did you say you're from Huntington once, or did I imagine that?
Funny, I'm doing the opposite because I only have a set of 15lb and 25lb dumbbells available to me, essentially why I really need to go to the gym.

I'm sure you're smart and know the dangers of the pills, wasn't trying to preach just saying. Not from Huntington, but close there. I'm in Nassau basically on the border of Suffolk.

silverfish is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 10:14 AM
  #207
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
You're never to small to play casual pick up hockey, just to get started, by the way. And definitely hit the gym. You need to work quads, and do high weight/low reps for all of your upper body lifts. The gym will make it 10x easier and sometimes joining is motivation enough. If its not, buy a pre-workout supplement and take it 20 minutes before workouts. The act of taking it is like committing to leaving the house to go lift, and once you take it, you kind of have to anyway or you won't be able to sit still. Definitely need to be getting a good quad workout in at least every 5th day (quads are biggest muscles, thus shredding them releases the most testosterone and muscle building hormones into your blood) and going heavy weight, less than 8 reps on most lifts. If you don't hit the gym, still only do 6-8 reps and just do them slowly with perfect form. Also squat and do lunges while holding the barbells to get that quad workout in.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 10:16 AM
  #208
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
You're never to small to play casual pick up hockey, just to get started, by the way. And definitely hit the gym. You need to work quads, and do high weight/low reps for all of your upper body lifts. The gym will make it 10x easier and sometimes joining is motivation enough. If its not, buy a pre-workout supplement and take it 20 minutes before workouts. The act of taking it is like committing to leaving the house to go lift, and once you take it, you kind of have to anyway or you won't be able to sit still. Definitely need to be getting a good quad workout in at least every 5th day (quads are biggest muscles, thus shredding them releases the most testosterone and muscle building hormones into your blood) and going heavy weight, less than 8 reps on most lifts. If you don't hit the gym, still only do 6-8 reps and just do them slowly with perfect form. Also squat and do lunges while holding the barbells to get that quad workout in.
Thanks for the tips, man. If my brother comes home this weekend (my other brother, I have a few siblings ha ha) he usually goes to the gym, so maybe I'll see if he'll let me tag along and teach me a few things.

silverfish is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 10:33 AM
  #209
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,191
vCash: 500
Silverfish:

What you need to do is start getting yourself in a routine. Pretend like you have to get up to go to a job @ 8, get out of the house and do something. Join a hockey league to make some contacts. Start seriously applying for jobs all over the place and just get into something. No one says the first job you get has to be what you do for the rest of your life. The good news is that with experience comes more opportunities and if you work hard, you will be able to have more control over what you want to do.

Sitting around waiting for a spot to open up in one specific industry in this economy is not the way to go.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 10:35 AM
  #210
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Silverfish:

What you need to do is start getting yourself in a routine. Pretend like you have to get up to go to a job @ 8, get out of the house and do something. Join a hockey league to make some contacts. Start seriously applying for jobs all over the place and just get into something. No one says the first job you get has to be what you do for the rest of your life. The good news is that with experience comes more opportunities and if you work hard, you will be able to have more control over what you want to do.

Sitting around waiting for a spot to open up in one specific industry in this economy is not the way to go.
True words man, thanks. I know what I have to do, what I need to be doing. The motivation just isn't there yet. It'll come, I hope. But it's coming slow.

silverfish is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 01:58 PM
  #211
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,116
vCash: 500
I'm like Five foot eight or nine or so and like 180 pounds. Just trying to lose my fat layers on my tummy,

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 02:04 PM
  #212
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I'm like Five foot eight or nine or so and like 180 pounds. Just trying to lose my fat layers on my tummy,
Dude that's nothing! I'm just about 6 foot, and like 270! I do lift weights, but I'd be lying if I said it was all or even mostly muscle!

Bleedred is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 02:07 PM
  #213
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Dude that's nothing! I'm just about 6 foot, and like 270! I do lift weights, but I'd be lying if I said it was all or even mostly muscle!
It bothers me! looking down and seeing a keg sometimes

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 02:25 PM
  #214
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
It bothers me! looking down and seeing a keg sometimes
I kinda got one too, and don't even drink. Still have no lovehandles though thank god. I've had a bit of a belly since my mid teens or so. So more than half my life. Not too satisfied with the way I look without my shirt, though I'm fine with the way I look with it on, and the way my chest, and shoulders look. I have more pride to go walking up, and down the block with my shirt off, but I also am not so insecure that I need to go swimming with my shirt on like some guys who are even smaller than me!

Bleedred is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 02:39 PM
  #215
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,683
vCash: 50
With his 5'11", 140 lbs frame, Bob Richards has never been acquainted with a beer keg.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is online now  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:17 PM
  #216
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
That's because you're built more like the tap

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:19 PM
  #217
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,473
vCash: 500
This Tips and Tricks thread is really good for its word. relationships, health and body image, drugs and opiates, self-help and self betterment. We should get this thread Publish.

Cresto is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:20 PM
  #218
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,473
vCash: 500
5 10-11' 165lb, trying to get in shape and lose the university weight and I think I'll have lots of time to do that now that I'm stuck off poker.

Cresto is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:57 PM
  #219
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I kinda got one too, and don't even drink. Still have no lovehandles though thank god. I've had a bit of a belly since my mid teens or so. So more than half my life. Not too satisfied with the way I look without my shirt, though I'm fine with the way I look with it on, and the way my chest, and shoulders look. I have more pride to go walking up, and down the block with my shirt off, but I also am not so insecure that I need to go swimming with my shirt on like some guys who are even smaller than me!
Swimming with a T shirt on is so weird, I have questioned my brother on that for years

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 05:26 PM
  #220
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,683
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
That's because you're built more like the tap
Keg or tap, I am king lightweight.

Bob Richards is online now  
Old
12-05-2012, 05:31 PM
  #221
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
I thought I was developing a belly (5'10-11", ~170-175 lbs.), but then I realized my posture is terrible because of the way I sit.

I believe it's called pelvic tilt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelvic_tilt

Jabroni is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 05:32 PM
  #222
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Swimming with a T shirt on is so weird, I have questioned my brother on that for years
All it does is make someone look even bigger than they are! The water makes your shirt really tight, and you can't even suck in your belly!

Bleedred is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 06:30 PM
  #223
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
6'4" 190, still got a little slab of fat. It annoys me, but is nothing to get worked up over. The only reason I can't take my shirt off in public is because I still have stretch marks all over my stomach.

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 07:22 PM
  #224
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
6'4" 190, still got a little slab of fat. It annoys me, but is nothing to get worked up over. The only reason I can't take my shirt off in public is because I still have stretch marks all over my stomach.
I got the stretch marks too, and they bother me more than the belly actually.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 07:24 PM
  #225
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I got the stretch marks too, and they bother me more than the belly actually.
When you lose the weight and feel great about yourself under clothes, you feel like even more **** when you can't take your shirt off. Doc says it takes about a year for them to go away if you maintain your weight. This is a long year.

Clowes Line is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.